Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

KKKlean Energy posted:

If you two are gonna argue about whether the monarch has the last word or not, maybe define what "the last word" is and on what issues the monarch has it?

With respect to Parliament she has the last word because a bill does not become law until it receives the Royal Assent. In that formal sense she has "the last word".

big scary monsters posted:

I see this importance used a lot as a reason we need the Queen, but it always seems to me a reason for constitutional reform rather than maintaining the monarchy.

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that the symbolic importance of the Queen is the reason we need the Queen. I was just responding to the person who questioned the consistency of saying that the Queen is both constitutionally important and almost entirely symbolic.

The better argument for retaining the monarch is that a system in which the Head of State is apolitical and politically neutered (apart from the covert lobbying the monarchy may do at times), is a pretty good system. However, if you're willing to go in for complete reform of the entire system then obviously that argument won't appeal to you.

I'm quite fond of Parliamentary democracy as it exists in the UK, and I think Parliamentary democracy is probably better off with an apolitical monarch than an elected Head of State. However, I'm unsure of whether UK-style Parliamentary democracy is a 'better' system than a constitutional republic along the lines of USA or France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Peaches Geldof had two kids, poo poo.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Crow, Benn and now Peaches Geldof. When will the madness end!?!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Was she a druggie girl? Always seemed a bit dopey but its bloody bad luck to stroke out at 25. Maybe she decided to go and meet the aliens or something.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 7, 2014

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
And tomorrow is the anniversary of Margaret Thatchers death (and my kids first birthday which is why I remember).

That is really awful for the family though, I hope it doesn't turn out to be drugs or drink related for their sake.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

hookerbot 5000 posted:

And tomorrow is the anniversary of Margaret Thatchers death (and my kids first birthday which is why I remember).

That is really awful for the family though, I hope it doesn't turn out to be drugs or drink related for their sake.

Do you fear reincarnation?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I already heard the news saying they don't know any details at all... but she has a history of drug use and also her mum died of a drug overdose drugs drugs drugs also she posted a picture of her mum the day before makes you think and so on

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Scientology didn't save her. :rip:

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Do you fear reincarnation?

Very slightly, she is pretty monstrous so far.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Never had any time for her as a presenter, or columinist, but it is still very sad. She apparently dabbled with drugs when younger, but the beeb article practically has neon sign posts over it such as above mentioned and was called because people feared for her safety. Bob Geldof has had enough upset for one life, I think.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26931337

I could have made a really obvious joke, but as I have spent all day dealing with ramifications of death, I suddenly developed common sense, and general decency

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Very slightly, she is pretty monstrous so far.

You'll have to wait till she's a toddler, if all the milk in the fridge goes missing start to worry.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You'll have to wait till she's a toddler, if all the milk in the fridge goes missing start to worry.
You don't have to wait that long for babies to go for milk.

baka kaba posted:

I already heard the news saying they don't know any details at all... but she has a history of drug use and also her mum died of a drug overdose drugs drugs drugs also she posted a picture of her mum the day before makes you think and so on

Could simply be she did a Heath Ledger, she was almost certainly sleep deprived. The 1.35PM emergency call would suggest against that though.

I don't really think it would be any less tragic than, say, a congenital heart condition if that were the case.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

I bet bob really hates Mondays now. Sorry.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Seaside Loafer posted:

I bet bob really hates Mondays now. Sorry.

Yeah thats the tasteless joke I avoided. Well done picking up the ball, though, Loafer.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

Yeah thats the tasteless joke I avoided. Well done picking up the ball, though, Loafer.

poo poo the train station, and now the bed

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
Debate Disco: The Place To Post The Peaches Geldof Jokes You Won't On Facebook

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Things aren't looking so peachy at the Geldof residence.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kegluneq posted:

You don't have to wait that long for babies to go for milk.

Could simply be she did a Heath Ledger, she was almost certainly sleep deprived. The 1.35PM emergency call would suggest against that though.

I don't really think it would be any less tragic than, say, a congenital heart condition if that were the case.

Yeah but it's more that the news knows absolutely nothing about it, but they've gone straight to implying it was the demon drugs or suicide. Mind you this was after a description of the Pastorius trial that sounded like bad fan fiction ("his voice......... his words...... ") so it's not like it's a surprise

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nuzak posted:

Peaches Geldof had two kids, poo poo.

I know a girl who killed herself, her mother committed suicide when the girl was just a kid. my friend hung herself in the same field as her mother's ashes were scattered in.

Peaches probably wanted to join her mother.

If you read some of the quotes it sounded that she thought bob's atittude was 'keep calm and carry on' when Paula Yates died and that peaches didn't get a chance to grieve properly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Really? Wow, feels like it was just last week. Perfect timing, I have an interview tomorrow and it's always good to look cheerful :toot:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Seaside Loafer posted:

Was she a druggie girl?

Just a bit.

She was weird, and I say that as a person who has multiple schizophrenic friends. Being born into celebrity does strange things to people.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Seaside Loafer posted:

Was she a druggie girl? Always seemed a bit dopey but its bloody bad luck to stroke out at 25. Maybe she decided to go and meet the aliens or something.

I remember reading a story by someone on these very forums who recreationally used heroin and ended up loving peaches.

in one of those encounters with celebrities threads in gbs.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

JFairfax posted:

I know a girl who killed herself, her mother committed suicide when the girl was just a kid. my friend hung herself in the same field as her mother's ashes were scattered in.

Peaches probably wanted to join her mother.

If you read some of the quotes it sounded that she thought bob's atittude was 'keep calm and carry on' when Paula Yates died and that peaches didn't get a chance to grieve properly.

I know the tabloids will be face down in the trough about yet another tragedy in a seemingly doomed family, but I can't get why people frigging speculate about still warm corpses. My local paper has posted and article interviewing a dog handler who was on some show with her and 'she was too demanding and bossy'. Well, maybe, but how is that relevant? Let the bloody coroner have a look first, then debate it.

As hookerbot pointed out, tomorrow is the first anniversary of Thatcher's descent. If you want to celebrate a death, this is where you start. I sadly misse dit all last year as was in hospital, and if I had the use of my legs I would have danced the dance of ages.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Really? Wow, feels like it was just last week. Perfect timing, I have an interview tomorrow and it's always good to look cheerful :toot:
Yay good luck! Maybe you can channel some of her power, ive heard it releases somewhat from the lich box every anniversary.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trickjaw posted:

If you want to celebrate a death, this is where you start.

What gave you the impression I was celebrating peaches death? I was relating a story about how someone I know died in similar circumstance, and that having a mother commit suicide when you're a kid can really gently caress you up.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

JFairfax posted:

What gave you the impression I was celebrating peaches death? I was relating a story about how someone I know died in similar circumstance, and that having a mother commit suicide when you're a kid can really gently caress you up.

Sorry, sorry, I was talking more about the bbc article that immediately starts up the drugs and loony bandwagon, and the inevitable dogpile of the press. Sorry again, I really am. Bit raw this evening. No excuse, just a reason.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but it's more that the news knows absolutely nothing about it, but they've gone straight to implying it was the demon drugs or suicide. Mind you this was after a description of the Pastorius trial that sounded like bad fan fiction ("his voice......... his words...... ") so it's not like it's a surprise
Those are the most common cause of death for people of her age, and given that she died in her home and had no major illnesses that we know of, are by far the most likely. It is crass to speculate with absolutely no further information, but simply reporting the story begs the question. :shrug:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

She was weird, and I say that as a person who has multiple schizophrenic friends.

Just the one friend then.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pissflaps posted:

Just the one friend then.

wheeeeeeeeey.

Kegluneq posted:

Those are the most common cause of death for people of her age, and given that she died in her home and had no major illnesses that we know of, are by far the most likely. It is crass to speculate with absolutely no further information, but simply reporting the story begs the question. :shrug:

Yeah you can't blame people for asking, Peaches never spoke about any health issues, she was 25, had red flags for personality disorder. If it's not suspicious there's not much that fits the story as-reported.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Larry_Mullet posted:

Gonna start a change.org campaign to stop General China from shooting an air rifle pellet into the chest of a Pheasant and making it die a long protracted painful death via infection. Cos if you think you're headshotting/clean killing a Pheasant with an air rifle you just picked up off the market then you're mistaken, if you just left some seeds out or grew some heather they wouldn't dig your poo poo up and you wouldn't have to take a life.

I'm actually not a bad shot. Back when society was a bit more relaxed about the whole firearms thing even lovely state comps in the north east had shooting clubs, or at least mine did. I consistently came top. We use .22 training lee enfields at the local ta place. I also wiped the floor clay pidgeon shooting with a load of squaddies at a stag do. Being beaten by a probably gay male nurse upset them.

I know how to zero a rifle and I'm not going to buy the cheapest air rifle off the market. A second hand BSA will do me. There is an abundance of heather in the garden, but the young shoots of garlic and onions seem to be the tastier option. At least they will taste nice.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Also the Buddha's birthday. At least it is if you use the Gregorian calendar. Happy Vesak everybody! :)
Sadly the nearest temple is kind of cult-y so I think I'll just wait until Easter and join in the celebrations with my Christian mates. Their festival has chocolate and cakes, no wonder it's the state religion down south.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Truly this mediocre tv presenter was the queen of all our hearts.

(not really: I doubt I've spent a minute thinking about her in my entire life and certainly never watched any of her programmes. Still a bit surprised to hear she's dropped dead though - it's not like there'd been any Amy Winehouse-style public breakdowns that would have warned you it was coming.)

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Right now Maria Miller must be weighing up whether to make a tribute or if people will think it a bit tasteless for her to eulogise the woman whose death probably saved her job.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
I once accidentally stuck my arse through the window of Peaches Geldof's car. Well, that's my story, goodnight everyone!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Mousepractice posted:

I once accidentally stuck my arse through the window of Peaches Geldof's car. Well, that's my story, goodnight everyone!

Get back here, son. Accidentally? Arse? etc.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mousepractice posted:

Were you in the car or out the car? Where was most of you anyway.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Really? Wow, feels like it was just last week.

Yeah, poo poo I actually still can't believe it, it's been a year? What the gently caress. I'm old. :(

Tragic Peculiar
May 22, 2008

McDragon posted:

Were you in the car or out the car? Where was most of you anyway.

He'd just run out of a station looking for a quiet place, and thought the car was empty.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Most of me was on Brick Lane, by the beigel shop, where I was getting a hangover bagel. Peaches Geldof, wealthy and dim, was being slowly chauffeured through the dense crowd of the Sunday market. People pushed onto the pavement, I slipped on a gherkin and fell backwards through the open window of her car. She squealed at the sight of my hairy crack (jeans caught on the door) and her driver floored it.

e: I didn't drop my bagel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Mousepractice posted:

and her driver floored it.

I hope you reported him.

• Locked thread