Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I never park my bike in car spots if I can avoid it. There's usually some dead area that isn't big enough for a car that makes for perfect bike parking.

It helps that unless you really park like an idiot bikes are basically immune to parking tickets here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

If there's not oncoming traffic, driving down the middle not only gives the driver a better view of possible spots on both sides around the Escaburbalade SUVs inevitably parked hanging three feet out of the parking spots, it also gives anyone trying to pull out of those spots a better chance to see them, around same hazards to navigation. Driving down the middle usually also gives the most room to pedestrians, unless they're being idiots and also walking down the loving middle.

If there's oncoming traffic? Yeah, move the gently caress over.

Oh I agree! However when you get to a pullout for the lane and the lane is both ways? Move the gently caress over so I can get in. I don't know how many times I want to get into a lane and bro-truck is taking almost the entire lane for himself.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Found this channel this morning and have been having a hoot at all the videos of terrible drivers getting caught on camera and by cops: https://www.youtube.com/user/TVman1981/videos

Best part is some people that comment are probably those that have gotten tickets because its always "GET A REAL JOB REPORTING".

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've had people try to divebomb into the spot with me still in it, either because they didn't see the big red motorcycle with the guy standing right next to it, or they thought they could push me out of the spot with their mind or something.
You can do this with a small car if you find the right space between two large cars. For bonus points, back in so that you can sit there and observe the expressions on peoples faces as they try to slam into the space with some moron on their bumper not letting them back out of it again.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

As above the "you park like an rear end in a top hat" thing or the slightly ruder leaflets from :britain: http://www.youparklikeacunt.com :britain: http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/yplac-booklet.html

Or you can get some fake spray paint (I didn't even know this was a thing) and make them think their car is messed up for a little while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRP30mhqmnQ

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That seems like a really good way to get arrested or murdered.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

That seems like a really good way to get arrested or murdered.

Some of these pranks like the "prank robbery" (this exists) are really really stupid and I eagerly await the day someone with a concealed carry pistol shoots one of these morons dead.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Bro trucker reacted exactly as expected.

My car has the turning radius of a moon (Because Volvo) so usually when someone's waiting for me to pull out they don't leave me enough room. A few times this has lead to me glaring at them until they back up. I'm not going to make a 25 point turn just because they felt like they had to stop 10 feet from my parking space.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Chinatown posted:

Some of these pranks like the "prank robbery" (this exists) are really really stupid and I eagerly await the day someone with a concealed carry pistol shoots one of these morons dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUehfnUNLdM

(not a shooting)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Karma in action :allears:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Neat, so I can start robbing people and if it goes a bit wrong I can just say 'it's a prank!' and everyone will laugh and help me up. For extra credibility I can have a friend walk in with a 'camera' and back my story!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Neat, so I can start robbing people and if it goes a bit wrong I can just say 'it's a prank!' and everyone will laugh and help me up. For extra credibility I can have a friend walk in with a 'camera' and back my story!

I've always wondered just what you could get away with if you have a few dudes looking like a production crew follow your around.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Arrath posted:

I've always wondered just what you could get away with if you have a few dudes looking like a production crew follow your around.

That'll work up until the cops show up and ask to see your film permit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

In the grim darkness of the hipster future all crime will be ironic, and selfied

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Bro trucker reacted exactly as expected.

My car has the turning radius of a moon (Because Volvo) so usually when someone's waiting for me to pull out they don't leave me enough room. A few times this has lead to me glaring at them until they back up. I'm not going to make a 25 point turn just because they felt like they had to stop 10 feet from my parking space.

:confused: my 240 has an 8.3m turning circle, which is better than both the E30's I've had AND the Miata.

When this happens to me in the Miata, I like to see how close I can get to them while backing up before they honk.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

My turning circle is 14.3 meters, apparently.

Jesus, I knew it was big but not that big. Christ.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
E30 isn't so bad it just takes forrrrrever to go from lock to lock with the stock rack

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The stock radius on TJ's is 16.3 feet and only gets tighter with most lifts :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rscott posted:

E30 isn't so bad it just takes forrrrrever to go from lock to lock with the stock rack

One of the things that ticked me off about SCCA classing was that a rack change dumped you directly into prepared. I let a Miata driver have a go behind the wheel because he wanted to know what torque felt like and he boned the first slalom so hard I didn't stop laughing for the rest of the run

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Holy poo poo, hit edit instead of quote. I'm retarded.

14.3 meters, 47 feet. It only gets worse when I drive the Jeep because I get back in my truck and it's 3 miles wide and takes 20 miles to do a U-turn.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Yesterday I had cruise control set to 74mph in a 65 zone, I was in the left lane passing cars in the middle that were doing about 70. Mid-sized suv comes up behind me doing about 85 and sits on my bumper so all I could see was grille behind me. I'm still passing a line of cars but eventually there is about 100 yards of open road in the middle lane so I move over and the suv just stays in the left, the same distance from me as before, with a line of cars behind him. After I ate the 100yd gap I moved back into the left, into being-tailgated position so I could pass and then back into the center about half a mile later and my exit about 3 miles after that. And the suv was still in the left lane doing 74. So I don't know what the gently caress.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Beach Bum posted:

:confused: my 240 has an 8.3m turning circle, which is better than both the E30's I've had AND the Miata.

When this happens to me in the Miata, I like to see how close I can get to them while backing up before they honk.

Volvo threw out the incredibly tight turning when they went front-wheel drive.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
This happened to me on Thursday, and it may just be me who's the idiot you share the road with. I was driving through Iowa on my way back to Chicago, when I was pulled over by the Highway Patrol, the cop was a nice dude (wasn't speeding and was in the right lane) and gave me a courtesy repair order, the thing was, it was for no front license plate:

This is the first time since owning the car (been driving it for 7 years now) that I've been pulled over solely for not having a front plate. It has been mentioned before when I was given a verbal warning for speeding (also on an Iowa highway), but I've never been given proper paperwork for it before. Local North-Illinois suburban cops have never even looked twice at the lack of one.

The front of my car:

What's AI's opinion on not having front plates on cars that never had a pre-built mounting point for them? There are two tiny dimples on the bumper as suggested points for drilling and mounting a box, but the car's survived this long without one (It was originally a Michigan sale, and I believe they don't have a front-plate requirement), so I don't want to spoil it now. It was suggested to me that I could buy the box and just temporarily adhere it to the bumper for highway driving, and then take it off when I get back to home/college, so I could always do that.

The box is pretty fugly.

Ulfhednar fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 8, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If your state says you need a front plate, then put a front plate on there. Sorry, not much else you can do.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

There's always this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZHspaLWoo

Not sure how much it costs, though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Ulfhednar posted:

The box is pretty fugly.

You don't see it because the license plate covers it up. The plate may be fugly but that's the cost of legality.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I just got a universal bracket off eBay and had a body shop stick it on. I feel slightly safer than if I did it myself and it's held up fine these last 2 years.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If it's been seven years and you just got your first notification to do so, why bother? I mean if it's a courtesy citation, do you have to somehow prove you've taken care of it? I'm all about obeying traffic laws for the most part, but front plates are dumb and what are the chances you'll be pulled over again before that car shits the bed?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

S60R: transverse I5 and 235 wide tires = 42.6 ft turning circle.

The best part? I had to fit spacers or I couldn't even turn that tight due to wheel rub.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Maybe it's just me, but I speed often enough that I really wouldn't want to do anything else to draw attention to my car (which is why it's boring-rear end dark grey). If the law says "get a front plate," just do it.

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

Now I'm gonna sound like the guy who didn't get the joke but FWD/AWD cars can't turn the wheel as far as RWD cars can because of the prop shafts, among other things.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Maybe get some double sided tape and stick it on to show you fixed it for the ticket and then yank it again.
Hopefully you'll get lucky and not have to worry about it ever again.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!

Bugdrvr posted:

Maybe get some double sided tape and stick it on to show you fixed it for the ticket and then yank it again.
Hopefully you'll get lucky and not have to worry about it ever again.

I might just go this route. Just slap it on for the next few months while I'm doing all this highway driving. In six months I might be getting relocated for work to the southeast, so I won't do anything permanent until then. I take my plate with me whenever I do these highway trips, so I can at least try to source a box/holder while I'm up here.

Fucknag posted:

There's always this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZHspaLWoo

Not sure how much it costs, though.

I looked up the prices for these, and the non-automatic ones cost about the same as getting the box new, so that's something I'll have to look into in the future.
http://www.hidetheplate.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=1 was what google turned up.

Ulfhednar fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 8, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ulfhednar posted:

What's AI's opinion on not having front plates on cars that never had a pre-built mounting point for them?
I think you should go out and get a plate and mounting kit immediately. Then keep them in the back of the car so it's obvious if you get stopped that you're heading home to fit one right now. It takes you ten years to get home from a parts store? Meh, traffic's a bitch in the city.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Midniter posted:

If it's been seven years and you just got your first notification to do so, why bother? I mean if it's a courtesy citation, do you have to somehow prove you've taken care of it? I'm all about obeying traffic laws for the most part, but front plates are dumb and what are the chances you'll be pulled over again before that car shits the bed?

Seconding this, I've been driving with no front plate in a two-plate state (Ohio) for nearly ten years and have never had a law enforcement officer say anything to me, even when pulled over for something else. Not sure if its the same in your state but generally a missing plate ticket is a slap on the wrist fine and/or fix-it ticket. Its not like you're going to be out a couple hundred dollars and get points on your license if they pull you over for it again, and in my experience the vast majority of law enforcement view front plate laws as busy work that they don't want to deal with (ie, probability of getting tagged for it again is incredibly low.)

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
It wasn't until I'd been driving for 16 years that I finally got a warning for not having a front plate. A month or two later, after stupidly getting pulled over for speeding, I was given a ticket for the missing plate. I certainly wasn't going to complain, since the officer was nice enough to not ticket me for speeding, which would have been more expensive than the plate.

On my new car, they provided the plate bracket, but it wasn't installed. I was planning on seeing if I can get the dealership to install it since it requires drilling in to the bumper (WTF, VW?) and don't have any real tools. But, I think I may go with that hide the plate option.

I haven't been pulled over yet in this car, but I think that's because I've finally stopped speeding everywhere. I don't want to keep pushing my luck.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I was pulled over with out a front plate in Oregon (and a license with my old address, and I was pulled over just as I parked in my driveway) and the cop wrote me a ticket but said if I fixed them he would suggest it be thrown out on the court date. So naturally I fixed them. Now I keep the front plate in the passenger area and if they ask I just tell them the mounting bracket broke and I haven't bought a new one yet. Not sure how long that is going to work considering the condition of the back plate gets worse and worse and the front plate looks like it has never been on.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

El Jebus posted:

I was pulled over with out a front plate in Oregon (and a license with my old address, and I was pulled over just as I parked in my driveway) and the cop wrote me a ticket but said if I fixed them he would suggest it be thrown out on the court date. So naturally I fixed them. Now I keep the front plate in the passenger area and if they ask I just tell them the mounting bracket broke and I haven't bought a new one yet. Not sure how long that is going to work considering the condition of the back plate gets worse and worse and the front plate looks like it has never been on.

Throw it in a pile of dirt, or just drag it behind you on the nearest dirt road.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

keyboard vomit posted:

Throw it in a pile of dirt, or just drag it behind you on the nearest dirt road.

Sometimes it really is the simple solution, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

N is for Nipples posted:

Holy poo poo, hit edit instead of quote. I'm retarded.

14.3 meters, 47 feet. It only gets worse when I drive the Jeep because I get back in my truck and it's 3 miles wide and takes 20 miles to do a U-turn.

Congratulations, your turning radius is 6 feet worse than that of a 25 foot long, 6 wheel drive, half century old military truck. Jesus christ.

As for front plates, you'll get bagged in a hurry for not having one if they don't like the look of you/your ride or it's drunk-o-clock around here, but otherwise, no one will ever care. Basically it's a reason to pull people over if they want to for other not-legally-allowed reasons.

Oh, and you'll fail safety inspection without one, too.