Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

homercles posted:

Is the fine art of docking now unnecessary with The Klaw? I just tried it out and it seems so...

I've docked a bunch, but if I can just ram any part of a ship head on with the Klaw to dock and exchange precious space-bodily fluids then that's much easier and that's what I'm going to do out of laziness. Boooo.

If you intend to connect ships together and fly them that way, docking ports are probably a much easier way to accomplish that.

But if you just want to transfer fuel, then yes, the claw is easier. Really, the claw ought to block fuel transfer. Fuel is already ridiculously easy to juggle around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

homercles posted:

Is the fine art of docking now unnecessary with The Klaw? I just tried it out and it seems so...

I've docked a bunch, but if I can just ram any part of a ship head on with the Klaw to dock and exchange precious space-bodily fluids then that's much easier and that's what I'm going to do out of laziness. Boooo.

Docking allows for consistency with COM alignment, so have fun constructing something usable with the claw. (the claw does let you adjust alignment, but you can only target COM on asteroids)

A feature that's been long overdue is non-binary damage for parts. Using the claw on a spacecraft really ought to damage it, but right now the game can't express a "damaged" state, only "intact" and "destroyed".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rover wheels have an intermediate damage state where the tires have burst but they are repairable.

But you're right that the claw shouldn't be a simple upgrade from a docking port. In addition to cutting off fuel transfer, maybe it could weigh more or constantly drain electrical power to keep it latched on.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

maltesh posted:

Minor point, here.

Delta-v = 9.81 m/s^2 * Isp * ln(mass initial / mass final)

It's always 9.81 m/s^2 (or however precise you want to get about g0) because that number's there to convert a value in weight measured under 1 standard gravity that goes into the calculating specific impulse into a value in mass. It has nothing to do with the local gravity of where the spacecraft happens to be.

Or 32.2f/s^2. Or 59,000 furlongs/fortnights^2. Keep your ducklings in a herd. It's not croquette science.

Exhaust velocity would work, too, but if I said that, there would doubtlessly be someone 'sperging about it not being a stock stat.

Too much effort to calculate by hand, but too OCD to just add more thrusters. Moderation, I guess.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
Taking a break from shuttles and asteroids, I horse around the space center with the latest toy off the production line.

Nah, that's not good enough.

Still not good enough. I know - how about we test how it performs under stress?

And at low speed?

It'll do, I think. Jeb doesn't mind pulling 19.6 G's. (The craft is so agile that it can easily pull 25 G's and start breaking apart, however. This is with deadly reentry as well, so sudden crew liquification is also an issue at times.)

The mountains are fun to fly around, but I gotta ask - Max, is there any chance for Kerbin to have canyons in the future?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

seravid posted:

Engineer doesn't work with the new added parts and for some godforsaken reason Mechjeb doesn't work at all*, so is there any other way to get deltaV, TWR and other why-isn't-this-in-stock-already-jesus-christ stats?

*parts are added correctly, icon shows up in right corner, I click on it and... nothing, no windows show up.

Had the same problem with MechJeb, even after removing it completely and installing the 212 build of 2.2.

The problem was that I needed to update Toolbar to 1.7.1. Once I did that the MJ windows were suddenly visible again.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
My two and a half year old just spent the last hour crashing and blowing up Kerbal Xs, and now has just discovered he can make EVAs. Now he keeps wanting to "make the astronauts fall out" mid flight. He says they hurt their noggins when they land, and is excited. I'm a little bit worried, now.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Quick, change his middle name to "Jebediah".

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Velius posted:

My two and a half year old just spent the last hour crashing and blowing up Kerbal Xs, and now has just discovered he can make EVAs. Now he keeps wanting to "make the astronauts fall out" mid flight. He says they hurt their noggins when they land, and is excited. I'm a little bit worried, now.

My newly 3 years old daughter loves KSP as well. For the first time ever, yesterday, she spammed spacebar while I was doing the first flight of my orange tank asparagus rocket. Thank god I used sepatrons on the stages, because I still have a 0 body count on this save file. :coal:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
So someone took the volumetric clouds and ran with it, and now we have Duna sandstorms

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 7, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy hell. Why haven't I installed this yet.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 7, 2014

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

God drat, I know what I'm installing next.

Fishstick posted:

Volumetric clouds doesnt seem to add any performance issues either, and it just looks so good, even from the ground. Between that and the Hot Rockets mod, launches are pretty atmospheric now.

I want the configs for this now.
Apparently the guy is working on a particle fx overhaul and this is what it's from. No release yet =(

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 7, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Joining the guys with holy poo poo, this looks amazing.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Oh wow, I so need to add this.

And I should probably add the custom Biomes mod so I have more stuff to do on Duna since it doesn't sound like 0.24 is adding any biomes to other planets (unless the plan has changed, as these things are known to do).

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Volumetric clouds doesnt seem to add any performance issues either, and it just looks so good, even from the ground. Between that and the Hot Rockets mod, launches are pretty atmospheric now.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Metal. :black101:

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
I'm pretty new to this lovely game. So far I've just gotten to the Mun and I'm not sure if I've hit a bug or not.
Poor little Jebediah got stranded without fuel Orbiting Kerbal as I was trying to get him home from his orbit around the Mun. So, I staged a probe flown Rescue mission which failed gloriously and I decided to terminate the mission instead of have Jeb suffer; the text says it kills the Kerbal in the Tracking Station.
I then went and had Bill Kerbal make a flight and landing on the Mun and place a flag to honor Jebediah the fallen hero. Next time I load up the game Jeb was back! In all honesty it was kind of disappointing as I like the fact that if a Kerbal dies, I can honor his memory and bravery. Was this just because I terminated the mission and hit a bug, or is there no real Kerbal deaths? (Which is weird because there is a section for Dead Kerbals which is now empty.)
Should I have let him die of age or staving/suffocation, is that even possible in the current build?
If it isn't possible, is there a mod to make a Kerbal be perma dead? Neddard Kerbal wants a shot at going to Minmus, and I don't want to let him down.

Green Tea Erotica fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 7, 2014

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Bill, Bob, and Jeb all wear orange flight suits and all eventually return to the roster when killed. The other guys are generated randomly, so they might reappear, but probably not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Jeb, Bill, and Bob are "special" crew who will respawn if killed (they were the original 3 astronauts before the game got a large supply of generic ones). All the others will stay dead.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jeb, Bob, and Bill are secretly ancient gods.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Acquire Currency! posted:

Jeb, Bob, and Bill are secretly ancient gods.

Bill and Bob are, anyway; Jeb's just too, well, :jeb: to die. :v:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

haveblue posted:

Jeb, Bill, and Bob are "special" crew who will respawn if killed (they were the original 3 astronauts before the game got a large supply of generic ones). All the others will stay dead.

They don't die man, they just fly into the stars. Only sometimes they fly into the stars in an alarming number of bits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They don't die, they translocate back to their quarters at the KSC. Why do you think there's nothing but a cloud of dust when they hit the ground?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kerbals never die, they're just missing in action.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

haveblue posted:

Thanks for all the quick replies! I may need to shoot Jeb off into the outer reaches of space or leave him orbiting Kerbal. Will he stay put or is there dying age/loneliness? (Or suffocating!)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

xzzy posted:

They don't die, they translocate back to their quarters at the KSC. Why do you think there's nothing but a cloud of dust when they hit the ground?

So there's a bonfire in the crew quarters? :v:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I'm a little surprised that there isn't a permadeath mod

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Thanks for all the quick replies! I may need to shoot Jeb off into the outer reaches of space or leave him orbiting Kerbal. Will he stay put or is there dying age/loneliness? (Or suffocating!)

There are crew needs modded into the game via some mods, however in stock they need for nothing and will gladly orbit a planet or sit on the surface (in or out of hte capsule) for eons.

As others have stated before, it's sort of a rite of passage since the inclusion of science to have just enough fuel to get into LKO but not enough to get out the first time. Leaving Jeb stranded somewhere then rescuing him later is a fun challenge.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Gau posted:

I'm a little surprised that there isn't a permadeath mod

TAC Life support has the ability to set the respawn rates for Kerbals or turn it off completely.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I started playing again after a couple months off. This is my first Mun landing with something that can maybe make it back.

I don't know if I want to go home.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Overwined posted:

There are crew needs modded into the game via some mods, however in stock they need for nothing and will gladly orbit a planet or sit on the surface (in or out of hte capsule) for eons.

As others have stated before, it's sort of a rite of passage since the inclusion of science to have just enough fuel to get into LKO but not enough to get out the first time. Leaving Jeb stranded somewhere then rescuing him later is a fun challenge.

I may have to put him back there then and try and rescue him when I have good spaceship parts! I'm in a weird point of not being able to go to the Mun and back without a lot of luck, and getting Science on Kerbal is really becoming a grind to get a new thruster.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Try escaping Kerbin's SOI and then coming back. You can do new science while technically orbiting the sun rather than orbiting the planet.

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

Fun with ion engines

Very fuel efficient, very agile

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
So basically they're Star Wars ion engines now?

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

Tarezax posted:

So basically they're Star Wars ion engines now?

Yeah but no hyperspeed, I'm topping out at about 40m/s going level flight

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I just learned that I will never have to bother with multiple orbits due to processing lab wait times again.
If you pause the game while the lab is processing a sample, it'll keep working and pop up the results on the pause screen.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

homercles posted:

Boo? This rules. High velocity refueling impacts are in my near future.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Roki B posted:

Boo? This rules. High velocity refueling impacts are in my near future.

The Klaw chooses what will dock and what will go.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

homercles posted:

What's the mass on a Klaw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

But... The whole point of unfocused burns is that you don't need to sit there staring at it. You plot the burn, set an alarm, and then go launch kerbals into the sun or whatever the gently caress else. I have no idea what you're trying to say here - you don't like doing long burns by hand but you also don't like the idea of them happening in the background so you'd rather just not ever use low thrust engines??

Combined with an alarm clock and ability to plot trajectories or whatever yes it can be practical if you like low thrust engines and orchestrating concurrent missions which may need a shift of focus at an inopportune moment. If you want a special case MechJeb which can function on an unfocused ship again fine.
Besides some potentially sticky technical issues I have no ideological issues with the concept, after all KSP is a game that people can choose to play how they want. But the reason the ion drives were rebalanced was because the ability to do all this doesn't exist yet, so they took a nearly useless subset of parts and made them useful for the time being using a compromise in functionality.

Personally I have no use for ion powered craft, but that's just me. The only time it'd be useful is with mods that add useful functionality for probes. Throw in the comms one (sorry I can't think of the name) and something like the hull cam one with a science value for observing other bodies and it starts to become useful. KAS could be used to allow for shipping of small replacement parts to a stricken ship too, or something like that.
If we look at the core game, the one which Squad are spending time and money to develop, they would have to do a nontrivial amount of work to KSP's engine to add functionality to their engine which no part of the core game can make use of.
If they do think it's a good idea and add the framework to allow special case thrust under warp for unfocused ships, that's great. Maybe they'll add some other interesting functionality to go with it. If not, then it wasn't to be.

In the end it's a mechanic which people may or may not use. I might have 20-30 concurrent missions running normally but everything except the active one is landed or in orbit around something. I'm only one person and prefer to play the game as such. I don't use any automation either. But I'm just one person and it's how I play the game. Same goes for you. What's important really is how many people choose to play the game in a certain style and how that will hopefully guide the developers toward what people want out of the game.

If I could automate probes I may enjoy other mechaniscs like I mentioned before, but it also comes down to player preference. How many people that play KSP know how to do things like use MechJeb. I know I don't, because it doesn't interest me. If some degree of automation was added for probes it'd have to be accompanied by a tutorial too. So what we are looking at now is alteration of a game mechanic, addition of automation to the core game, balancing, debugging and tutorial creation. That's a lot of work! I'm not saying it's not worth it. It may well be. But in the end it's Squad's call.

• Locked thread