Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This guy for sure. Fabled Hero is cool, but there are a lot of situations where you don't want to turn him sideways, because almost all of the fatties in this block are landbound. Flyers in this block pretty much top out at 4/4 (barring really expensive bombs) so barring Arbor Colossus this guy just sails over most blockers all day every day. He's one heroic trigger away from not giving a poo poo about Siren of the Fanged Coast, Shrike Harpy, Ornitharch (already walls little ornitharch, but +1 can kill her), even non-monstrous Nessian Asp.

I think as a 3/4 he'd be an automatic four-of in any white heroic deck. As a 2/4 it's less clearcut but I can imagine putting him in the 75.

In a heroic deck, I think I would still prefer to simply use Gift of Orzhova, which you can cast to activate heroic and swing with two turns earlier. I'd be very surprised if this guy saw constructed play even in heroic decks. The only benefit of the Dawnbringer is that it avoids most burn as soon as he hits the board, but by turn five when you can actually swing with him, you are already going to be effectively dead from rush or have to deal with badasses from midrange decks like Desecration Demon, Archangel, Blood Baron, Obzedat, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Zoness posted:

Yes, because I'm going to need to chump a 4/4 for 2BB.

Wasn't my point. I said that if desecration demon were a vanilla 6/6 for 2BB it would see play. Leeches are not that.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Chainsawdomy posted:

Would one of our resident grecophiles like to weigh in on the pronunciation of 'Leucrocota' right now and save us all some trouble? You know, for when I'm being passed yet another of those things as the last card in a draft-pack.

I'm guessing 'loo-cro-CO-tuh'.

eu is firmly a dipthong in ancient Greek, creating a sound which we very rarely hear in English and I'm not quite sure how to describe. It is very much not what I'd instinctively pronounce it as if it was an English word, ie Le-ew-croc-cota.

So I won't describe it, I'll say it.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

The +1/+1 is really only a white and green thing, though (with one except in Red with the new Satyr). Blue, black, and all the other red heroic cards have interesting non-combat effects. (I really like Meletis Astronomer, and I wish there was a deck where he would be useful.)

That's fair. I also forgot about Agent of the Fates when thinking about playable stuff. I just wish there were some more stand out stuff is all. The very nature of the mechanic just screams "hit me with removal when they try anything to get an easy 2+ for 1 trade." For being heroes they all feel like a stiff breeze will knock them over.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bugsy posted:

Thats the second card that cares about the number of ___ land type you control.

It's checking your Devotion to Islands without saying so, just FYI.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

traslin posted:

In a heroic deck, I think I would still prefer to simply use Gift of Orzhova, which you can cast to activate heroic and swing with two turns earlier. I'd be very surprised if this guy saw constructed play even in heroic decks. The only benefit of the Dawnbringer is that it avoids most burn as soon as he hits the board, but by turn five when you can actually swing with him, you are already going to be effectively dead from rush or have to deal with badasses from midrange decks like Desecration Demon, Archangel, Blood Baron, Obzedat, etc.

I think my post was a little unclear, since I shifted from talking about Limited in the first paragraph to Constructed in the last sentence. Sorry! But yes, I don't think Heroic.dec is Standard playable now, it's a little slow to establish itself since it runs no hasty creatures and every removal spot is competing for a heroic trigger. In Limited, heroic is absolutely a viable archetype and this guy vs. Fabled Hero favors this guy, imo. In terms of Constructed, I don't know what else is coming, but it's pretty clear any heroic deck will be W/R (for Anax and Cymede, Boros Charm, Fall of the Hammer, Martial Glory etc.) or W/B (for Agent of the Fates, Gift of Orzhova, removal etc.) Four mana is a little slow :/.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bugsy posted:

Thats the second card that cares about the number of ___ land type you control.

He's so big he generates his own Whelming Wave!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Sometimes they don't have a choice

I never looked close enough to realize the wave is actually made of hands. :stare:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I also think the four drop dude that draws cards off enchantments could be really good in some sort of b/g shell. Courser, nighthowler, herald of torment, boon satyr, whip, other random stuff. You could definitely build a solid deck in this standard where a ton of your cards are enchantments.

or some bant deck with heliod, ephara, and that dude so you get to draw all of the cards.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

This card is going to see Standard play.

I really doubt that. 7 mana is just ridiculously expensive for what it does. For that CMC, unless the card outright wins the game or gives overwhelming advantage, no deck is going to play it.

As a reference, Angel of Serenity is a strictly better card and sees no play in Standard for the same reasons.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

I really doubt that. 7 mana is just ridiculously expensive for what it does. For that CMC, unless the card outright wins the game or gives overwhelming advantage, no deck is going to play it.

As a reference, Angel of Serenity is a strictly better card and sees no play in Standard for the same reasons.

6U is what Cyclonic Rift overloaded costs and this leaves behind a 6/6 guy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

qbert posted:

As a reference, Angel of Serenity is a strictly better card

Stop using this wrong, people.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

I don't think people would play Cyclonic Rift if it only existed as the Overload, though.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mcmagic posted:

Creature vs Permanent is huge.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

mcmagic posted:

Importantly Cyclonic Rift can also be used as a 2 mana spell if you're in a bind and also gets rid of planeswalkers and d-spheres.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Cyclonic Rift can also be played as a 2 mana bounce spell, which is far more relevant. I'm not going to say that this guy definitely won't see play, but it is HIGHLY unlikely.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Cyclonic Rift is also most importantly an instant.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Another card from the Oracle Twitter:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Attorney at Funk posted:

So definitely based on lands cycle! WHeeeeeeeeeeeeee

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

Cyclonic Rift is also instant speed, has an alternate cost of 1U, and returns all nonland permanents at 6U, whereas this only returns creatures and only conditionally depending on your board state.

Rift is a much better card and even that only sees play as 1 or 2 copies in one particular Standard deck.

Entropic posted:

Stop using this wrong, people.

Fine, AoS is a better card.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Wonder what the White one does. Tokens?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

mcmagic posted:

But a Cyclonic Rift is useful if you draw it in your opening hand while this isn't. There are Simic decks that are running Sylvan Primodials, so maybe it could find a place there.

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=6908&d=239671&f=ST

But decks like this are pretty rare in the top8 and ramp/dual-color is really going to decrease your island count, so it would probably need some other supporting cards in Nyx for it to see regular play. Without ramp though, I think it is quite a stretch to make a deck with a 7 mana creature.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
All good points.

But :krakentoot:

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Attorney at Funk posted:

This could be an ok late game bomb in standard. It's like Fanatic of Mogis without needing a battlefield full of permanents.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Bosushi! posted:

This could be an ok late game bomb in standard. It's like Fanatic of Mogis without needing a battlefield full of permanents.

I dunno... seven mana is a lot for a monocolored deck that doesn't want scrylands or arguably even Mutavaults. You'd need a really specific set of circumstances for this not to deal more damage as a Stormbreath Dragon.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bosushi! posted:

This card is not playable in Standard.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
~~~~~ Greek Dragons ~~~

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Attorney at Funk posted:

I dunno... seven mana is a lot for a monocolored deck that doesn't want scrylands or arguably even Mutavaults. You'd need a really specific set of circumstances for this not to deal more damage as a Stormbreath Dragon.

It's situational to be sure. I'm going off my own personal experience where I gas out in the mid to late game and would have loved to top deck this guy.

He'd probably just be a singleton.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

En Fuego posted:

So definitely based on lands cycle! WHeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Lands cycle that will see little play unless heavy Devotion Nykthos strategies come back. :sassargh:

Return of Big Red? :v:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

https://twitter.com/OracleOfTheros/status/453282321995534336

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Korak posted:

Return of Big Red? :v:

I will sacrifice two chickens to whichever Theros god you wish, if this could become a real deck, because I love Big Red decks!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just echoing what was said above - this is starting to feel like the Golgari enchantment/ramp deck might be possible. It seems like its way too top heavy to be top tier (although maybe not, if your only non-enchantment creatures are mana elves and Caryatids), but it could be fun to toy with.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Ooh, that one's very neat.

So it seems like we've got the five promos now most likely. I think the white one is clearly in front and the green one is clearly last, but I don't know if I'll be able to resist trying to combo off with the black one.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A 4/6 for 5 that's at least mild removal when it comes in. It clears the board of Master of Waves and his tokens and makes your other enchantment dudes generate extra value.

Me likey.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A 4/6 for 5 that's at least mild removal when it comes in. It clears the board of Master of Waves and his tokens and makes your other enchantment dudes generate extra value.

Me likey.

It seems really good and enchantment heavy decks can abuse the power. I for sure think golgari enchantment will be a thing.

hope pharika is the jam

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Can't wait to see Blightcaster become standard playable.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I want to open so many of these rares in a JBT draft, they look :supaburn:.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Myriad Truths posted:

Ooh, that one's very neat.

So it seems like we've got the five promos now most likely. I think the white one is clearly in front and the green one is clearly last, but I don't know if I'll be able to resist trying to combo off with the black one.

I love it, and it looks cool too. Just taking the Constellation effect as an ETB isn't terrible. No place in the existing Devotion strategy, I fear, but if Monoblack Aggro finds it's place in the meta he may have a home there. Also if there's any good ways to get enchantment creature tokens out. Really plays well with Bestow creatures, as t6 after laying him down you can probably put more than one of them down in creature mode the next turn. Also works well in multiples.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Jenx posted:

I will sacrifice two chickens to whichever Theros god you wish, if this could become a real deck, because I love Big Red decks!
I mean we've seen bigger red decks in this standard at the beginning of the season when people were trying out devotion. It's just most people realized that your mono blue match up is terrible even with splashes. Fanatic and Stormbreath end games fast enough as is.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Can't wait to see Blightcaster become standard playable.
Now that is a card I haven't thought about in a while. They're trying to give the tools for a crazy enchantment heavy deck its just not clicking together.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

uggy posted:

It seems really good and enchantment heavy decks can abuse the power. I for sure think golgari enchantment will be a thing.

hope pharika is the jam

I hope Pharika's Disintegration is a good card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
BWR Doomwake Legion. Constantly keep the board wiped including killing gods that get turned on.

• Locked thread