Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: atomicthumbs, read this post as "find me a cool cheap car with a manual in the east bay"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4409567661.html

Not quite in the East Bay, but you take what you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

HotCanadianChick posted:

14,000 km is only 8,750 miles per year, or a bit more than 2/3 of what is considered normal average mileage a year in the US (12,000 miles - equal to 19,200kms - a year is considered average here), so yes, your idea of 'high mileage' is a little bit lower. You have to keep in mind the US is a country where some people think an acceptable daily commute is 100 miles (160 km) each way, five days a week.

I drive 140 miles a day, but I love driving anyways, it's my dream job, and it's closer to where I will probably move after I finish my house and sell it. Either that or I'll build an airplane and fly to work, I haven't decided. That would probably cost more, and save me no time, but I'd be flying, so gently caress it who cares.

Oh... and they keep giving me raises, and I started out making pretty decent money, especially for someone with no car loans, minimal student debt, no mortgage, and no rent. Basically, I blow $650 a month on gas to work at a job I love and live in an area I like more than most in this state. Worth it, IMO, I'd end up spending that much just on rent if I moved closer to work.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 6, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

I drive 140 miles a day, but I love driving anyways, it's my dream job, and it's closer to where I will probably move after I finish my house and sell it. Either that or I'll build an airplane and fly to work, I haven't decided. That would probably cost more, and save me no time, but I'd be flying, so gently caress it who cares.

do it:

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
It'd be Ken's plane though, so it'd have to be much more giant and rusty:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

There's actually a lot of little Japanese imports in Vancouver I think mostly because of the existence of this local company http://www.japanoid.com

I regularly see Figaros and Paos. Never a Be-1 tho.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Double-posting but there's content this time:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4381790815.html

That... looks really goddamn nice.

He says it's in the BMW shop in Berkeley right now because "the oil light came on". That sounds a bit worrying, in every car I've had, if the oil light comes on you have really hosed up. BMW guys, is there a "change oil now" light, or did he run the loving thing with no oil in it?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
In my E30 there's a service indicator light, an oil level light and an oil pressure light and only one of those things is actually critical.

It's most likely the Oil Service light.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

rscott posted:

In my E30 there's a service indicator light, an oil level light and an oil pressure light and only one of those things is actually critical.

It's most likely the Oil Service light.

Ok, which one is critical? I'd assume the oil pressure light but hell, I wouldn't like low oil level either.

The guy said "the light came on, so I took it to the shop". Sounds like he doesn't know much about cars but he may be playing dumb. If a car goes in with a critical light like that on, will that show up in a Carfax report? I'm hoping I can find someone I know with an unlimited account so I don't have to drop $40 on a check...

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I don't know poo poo about trucks but this caught my attention and seemed like a good deal at first glance, even if for the fact that the listing is spelled and punctuated correctly: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4410768444.html

I kind of want it just for a beater/hauler, but in reality I won't be buying it. Yeah it's auto and probably has a trillion miles, but maybe someone's local and wants to check it for possible gold.

edit: just noticed the twotone paint. Maybe it's only gold in color :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok, which one is critical? I'd assume the oil pressure light but hell, I wouldn't like low oil level either.

The oil level light is pretty much just there to let you know it needs topping up - comes on when it's half a quart low or so - generally because it's burning it. This is normal for BMWs, they love oil almost as much as rotaries.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So at almost 150k miles, is the thing probably clapped out, or will this engine and transmission probably be good for another 100k? Looking at the ad and based on our communications, the owner seems like the kind to just take it to the shop whenever a light comes on, so hopefully there's a lot of documentation for repairs. Based on what I see online, for example I should probably expect that if the suspension bushings haven't been replaced, they'll need it now. Things like radiators are a bit more expensive on Rockauto than your average domestic sedan, but is a 1984 633 CSi going to be a maintenance problem if I want to do things myself?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

dissss posted:

That's a lot of cars with wound back odometers.

I've lived in Japan. It isn't. They really do drive that little. Driving commutes are usually short, and most people live within walking distance of a supermarket. People have cars for when they need to carry a bunch of poo poo or screaming children or both. Of my coworkers last time I was there, only one guy commuted more than about 10 miles.

That said, most of Japan is pretty humid, and it's mostly stop-and-go driving, so those low miles are probably rough miles.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Very tempting deal on what looks like a clean E30 if anyone is interested:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4406953670.html

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

So at almost 150k miles, is the thing probably clapped out, or will this engine and transmission probably be good for another 100k? Looking at the ad and based on our communications, the owner seems like the kind to just take it to the shop whenever a light comes on, so hopefully there's a lot of documentation for repairs. Based on what I see online, for example I should probably expect that if the suspension bushings haven't been replaced, they'll need it now. Things like radiators are a bit more expensive on Rockauto than your average domestic sedan, but is a 1984 633 CSi going to be a maintenance problem if I want to do things myself?

I don't think it'll be worse than the Studebaker :v: M30s, the straight 6 that is that car are extremely reliable with proper upkeep. Like HotCanadianChick said they will burn oil as they get older but that's pretty common to every BMW engine, my M20 has well over 250k miles on it and it burns half a quart every 2k miles or so. M30s have a robust timing chain that you really don't have to worry about up to like 250k miles or so. It does The thing isn't going to get much better than 20-22mpg even on the highway but the drivetrain is dead reliable as long as you don't neglect it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm highly tempted by the BMW but I am also wondering if I should get a little more practical:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4398387195.html

Edit: I guess it's for certain definitions of "practical", namely any where I need to move furniture, motorcycles, etc. For just moving myself around, the BMW is probably more practical.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Crustashio posted:

Scammity scam scam. Or e24 prices are not what I think they are. I would buy that in a heartbeat if legit.

E24s have been dropping rather steadily near me too. I remember when they used to go for silly high money and lately, they have been selling for cheap. I wish there was an explanation, but? :iiam:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: I guess it's for certain definitions of "practical", namely any where I need to move furniture, motorcycles, etc. For just moving myself around, the BMW is probably more practical.

Truck love thread just popped up and it makes me remember how much I missed my F350. It was cheap to insure, cheap to look after, and was a decent old truck in general.

Are you still planning on cruising around in your old Studebaker? Or looking for a more reliable DD? Yeah the truck is going to get poo poo MPGs but, they are easy as hell to look after. FWIW, its easy to throw throttle body injection on it with mega-squirt to up your MPG and power as well.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 7, 2014

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

The guy said "the light came on, so I took it to the shop". Sounds like he doesn't know much about cars but he may be playing dumb. If a car goes in with a critical light like that on, will that show up in a Carfax report? I'm hoping I can find someone I know with an unlimited account so I don't have to drop $40 on a check...

Dude, if a warning light on a nearly 30 year old car that costs $3700 scares you, I am not sure that you are shopping in the right category.

But to answer your question, no, that kind of thing is not going to show up on CarFax. You might see notation for service and sometimes description, but shops are not required to submit anything.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tai-Pan posted:

Dude, if a warning light on a nearly 30 year old car that costs $3700 scares you, I am not sure that you are shopping in the right category.

I've solved that problem in my current car by not having any warning lights :v:

I didn't know what kind of oil lights the e24 has; in the cars I've driven, if the oil light comes on you need to pull over right now, not drive to the shop. Now that I've learned there are two additional "oil lights" in the e24, I'm less concerned, but I still plan to call the shop and ask what light/code actually came up.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

I'm going to look at this tonight, and while it isn't even remotely close to what I wanted I talked the dude down to $1000 and the body looks pretty mint for a Canada car.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Wait. What does "this car ran a 13.9 to the quarter" mean? He doesn't seriously mean 13.9 IN the quarter (mile).. right?

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

Wait. What does "this car ran a 13.9 to the quarter" mean? He doesn't seriously mean 13.9 IN the quarter (mile).. right?

I'd assume that it was a 13.9 second quarter mile when he took it to the drag strip

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
He probably was using the number pad, thus the typo. It really runs 16.9 in the quarter.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Who puts all of the effort into "tuning" the car but is too lazy to put some air in the goddamn tires, christ.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Nocheez posted:

He probably was using the number pad, thus the typo. It really runs 16.9 in the quarter.

Without air in the tires 16.9 sounds a touch optimistic.

A friend works with the tech who did the swap and apparently the engine only had 80,000 kms on it last summer when it went in. However, the owner lives in rural Ottawa and hung out at the drag strip a lot so i'm anticipating some bullshit in the drive train.

I wish i had greater willpower, but I have the money in hand and I'm powerless before aztec green pearl.

edit: aaaaand its gone.

TWSS fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 8, 2014

TaquitoSupreme
Apr 8, 2014
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4374886032.html

Probably gone at this point given its post date, but EPIC regardless

TaquitoSupreme fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 8, 2014

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Wojcigitty posted:

Very tempting deal on what looks like a clean E30 if anyone is interested:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4406953670.html

that's more than I would pay for an ETA, but it does look clean.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Good color combination and that interior is in fantastic shape, if you could get it for 3 grand it would be worth it IMO. Then M50/52 swap it :getin:

e: Looks like it already sold though, posting is gone

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

TaquitoSupreme posted:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4374886032.html

Probably gone at this point given its post date, but EPIC regardless

Holy poo poo! Someone here loving buy this!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

This is... something

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4401595316.html

quote:

For sale is a 2009 Suzuki SX4 sport all-wheel drive that has been converted to a street-legal Rally look-alike car. It has navigation, keyless entry package so you don't need a key to unlock or start the car, seat warmers, nice fog lights, and a 6 disk in dash CD changer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

The car has 28600K miles on it.

:catstare:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This isn't gold, but check out this sweet 1 inch strip of camouflage between the black and yellow paint. Gross.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4413643396.html

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm a Ford guy but this is actually kinda cool: http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/4378474050.html

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm a Ford guy but this is actually kinda cool: http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/4378474050.html

I'm trying pretty hard to see what part of that is a Typhoon clone. Not coming up with much here.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BoostCreep posted:

I'm trying pretty hard to see what part of that is a Typhoon clone. Not coming up with much here.

Well, it is a 2-door Blazer/Jimmy. That's about all they got right. Manual, 2wd, base chevy grille, it's not even the right V6 (it's the ancestor of the oh-so-beloved 3.1/3.4 V6).

It's not even a good candidate for a V8 swap like the 4.3 trucks are, as the radiator port are on the wrong sides, the trans bolt pattern is wrong, the motor mounts need to be changed, and the rear end is a 7.5 inch, so it'll probably break under even stock V8 torque.

A 4.3 in that condition would be a good buy, but a 2.8 Blazer is about as good a deal as a 2.8 Cherokee (same engine :v:).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought the Typhoon was 4WD?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

I thought the Typhoon was 4WD?

Yup. Sy/Tys were AWD and turbo'd. I was seriously kicking the idea around of picking one up, but it never happened. Hell, I'd still get one.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

These just scream ROTORY to me.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ThirstyBuck posted:

These just scream ROTORY to me.

Nope, try obscure Ford V4 (yes an actual vee engine, not an inline 4) more commonly used in tractors. Oh and like all real Saabs, they're FWD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Talk me out of buying this goons