Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chronojam posted:

Did you do the early win? The early-win chapter title edit also made me smile.

Early win? What's this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Early win? What's this?

If you keep hammering the X button after Airy tells you to stop you'll eventually break a crystal and get hurled into a premature ending.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

If you keep hammering the X button after Airy tells you to stop you'll eventually break a crystal and get hurled into a premature ending.

Oh yeah, I'm planning to do that at the last crystal.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Pureauthor posted:

Do the skipping, and after the Normal Ending you'll be dumped back to before the point of no return.

For whatever chapter? I'm now on Chapter 6, so it'd take me back there if I try this, yes?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Chump Farts posted:

For whatever chapter? I'm now on Chapter 6, so it'd take me back there if I try this, yes?

Yes. It'll take you back to right before whenever you did the thing to trigger the endgame, whatever chapter you did it in.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm having a problem with team job setup, does anybody know any good/fun job & ability combinations? I'm just into chapter 4 and have all the jobs up to that point.

Also how viable is magic later on in the game? So far all bosses I've just used physical attacks to steamroll them.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

TurnipFritter posted:

I tried doing this and after about 30 seconds of button mashing I gave up. How long do you need to do it?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

notZaar posted:

I tried doing this and after about 30 seconds of button mashing I gave up. How long do you need to do it?
It's about speed, not duration. I had no problem doing it. :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Golden Goat posted:

I'm having a problem with team job setup, does anybody know any good/fun job & ability combinations? I'm just into chapter 4 and have all the jobs up to that point.

Also how viable is magic later on in the game? So far all bosses I've just used physical attacks to steamroll them.

Pirate/Swordmaster
Thief/Ninja
Performer/Freelancer
Ranger/Spell Fencer(?)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

- Thief/Ninja
- Performer/Freelancer
How do these pairings work out? I thought of thief/ninja before but aside from Godspeed Strike the Thief tool set doesn't seem to compliment the Ninja set.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I used Ninja/Thief to Dual Wield offensively and also steal from bosses.

Performer/Freelancer is good when you get Mimic for Freelancer to copy the BP song.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
magic is viable when you have a setup to weaken them via the rod special or salvemaker (or whatever else you're going to do). The pierce magic defense helps quite a bit as does the group cast and amp since usually you've won or died on bosses before running out of MP. For grinding, the arcanist's abilities are great for efficiency and its what I used to get everyone setup for my final configuration since I could kill the entire opposite team in 1 turn. However, I think once you're really late game there are better options from your physical attackers so it feels forced to stick with magic as your primary attack.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Thanks for the replies, looks like i'll get the freelancers mimic ability. Question about that, would it be better to have a character use mimic to lock down a boss by using BP draining abilities? Or should I just make them gain BP for everybody?

In regards to Ninja/Thief if I want to steal off a boss I still have and use the Thief's knife for that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Any skill that attempts to drain BP from a boss gets slammed with a 30% success rate from what I've read. You're always better off trying to run schemes to increase BP for your characters.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Or use slow world plus bp generation. With the poison battery you're independent of bp generation through turns. combine that with the opponent losing what they get and it's done.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So I was wondering what my characters job progression should be I just unlocked time mage and Spell fencer.
Here's my path so far:

Tiz: Freelancer > Theif
Ringabel: Monk
Agnes: White Mage > Black Mage > Time Mage
Edea: Knight > Spell Fencer

I was thinking Tiz wil be the utility guy, thief and ninja most of the game. Ring would be my pure damage dude, but I don't know what classes he should be leveling up, monk seems very strong. Agnes would be tanky, again I don't know what jobs to use as I unlock them. Edea is my healer with other magic job subcommands.

I was just wondering if someone could lay a roadmap for me so I don't waste too much time leveling jobs I'll never use. I have 8 3DS games waiting for me to finish this. In other words "Use X till you unlock Y then use Z to endgame for Tiz...etc"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nitramster posted:

So I was wondering what my characters job progression should be I just unlocked time mage and Spell fencer.
Here's my path so far:

I was thinking Tiz wil be the utility guy, thief and ninja most of the game. Ring would be my pure damage dude, but I don't know what classes he should be leveling up, monk seems very strong. Agnes would be tanky, again I don't know what jobs to use as I unlock them. Edea is my healer with other magic job subcommands.

I was just wondering if someone could lay a roadmap for me so I don't waste too much time leveling jobs I'll never use. I have 8 3DS games waiting for me to finish this. In other words "Use X till you unlock Y then use Z to endgame for Tiz...etc"

Level everything for everyone, laugh like a mad king atop your mountain of JP.

Really, though, don't sweat it too much. JP gain from regular mobs cranks up by a pretty large degree every chapter, so you'll be able to fill people out as you see fit. All the classes synchronize well enough so that you'll just be shooting yourself in the foot by assigning specific "roles" to everyone.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

By the time you reach end game leveling up a job all the way from Level 1 to Level 14 is hilariously trivial. Distributing jobs around characters is good for the start though.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
^ thanks for the chill out comments, I'll be a chill bro again now.

2 questions I'm fairly certain are no, but I'd like to know:

Does having a certain job equipped at a characters level up affect the stats that character gets? Like say if using black mage in a battle where you level from 10-11 you're going to get +3int and +1str?

Also when unlocking new support abilities, do I still have to set them or does the class get them anyway? Like Knight has Two-Handed, P.defence 10% up, and Protect ally. I had to set 2 handed to get the attack bonus for it (easy enough to figure out) but Protect Ally is grey and seems to work anyway.

Oh gently caress 1 more, why can't any of my characters equip hats? For any class so far the only things I can equip are helms, it's weird.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Everyone can equip every equipment—I think hats maybe aren't graded A-E because they don't scale in effectiveness per class like helms and other equipment do?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Character's base stats are unaffected by the Job. What the job does is apply multipliers to the characters base stats.

All new support abilities have to be equipped, each job has one passive ability, but the rest can only be equipped. The Knight's innate passive is Protect Ally, so you don't need to equip it. However you do need to equip Two-Handed.

Nitramster posted:

Oh gently caress 1 more, why can't any of my characters equip hats? For any class so far the only things I can equip are helms, it's weird.

Each class can equip every piece of equipment. What a class's rankings determine is how well they use each type. The ranking adds a multiplier to the stats of the gear. A character with an E rank in a type of equipment will only gain the benefits of the equipment's base stats. (So, for example, a Sword with 20 P.ATK will give the character with an E Rank in Swords +20 P.ATK) higher rankings add better multiplier, with S Rank giving a x2 one. (So that same sword would give a character with an S rank in Swords +40 P.ATK)

Rollersnake posted:

Everyone can equip every equipment—I think hats maybe aren't graded A-E because they don't scale in effectiveness per class like helms and other equipment do?

Each class is considered to have an A Rank in Cloth armor.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 7, 2014

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Rollersnake posted:

That explains it. I keep assuming things I shouldn't be assuming. Too many years have passed since I played a real RPG!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nitramster posted:

That explains it. I keep assuming things I shouldn't be assuming. Too many years have passed since I played a real RPG!

Well, it's not exactly an unreasonable assumption. Most video game RPGs don't allow characters to equip every piece of gear, restricting them by character or class. Bravely Default, with its ranking system is the exception not the rule.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Would Time Magic be better suited for a character who's been using Black Magic or White Magic so far (just got the job at the end of Chapter 1.) I like Edea's costume for it better but I don't know, maybe Tiz's healing expertise would allow him to utilize Slow to the FULLEST EFFECT or something I don't know.

Also when do I get a class with S-rank in Katanas so that Ringabel can become the Master of the Hanzo Steel his goony rear end was destined to be?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

alcharagia posted:

Would Time Magic be better suited for a character who's been using Black Magic or White Magic so far (just got the job at the end of Chapter 1.) I like Edea's costume for it better but I don't know, maybe Tiz's healing expertise would allow him to utilize Slow to the FULLEST EFFECT or something I don't know.

There are advantages to both. Time Mage gets a mix of offensive spells, buffs and debuffs that complement the White Magic spell list quite well. On the other hand, Black Mage gets a high-level support ability that lets you group-cast magic that's normally only single-target, which in combination with Time Magic allows you to do poo poo like cast Reraise on the entire party in a single action.

quote:

Also when do I get a class with S-rank in Katanas so that Ringabel can become the Master of the Hanzo Steel his goony rear end was destined to be?

The first class with an S rank in Katana is available from a sidequest in Chapter 3.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Ringabel's calling is to a different class actually. You'll probably figure it out by the middle of chapter 3 and the game basically pushes it in your face by the end of chapter 4.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

notZaar posted:

Ringabel's calling is to a different class actually. You'll probably figure it out by the middle of chapter 3 and the game basically pushes it in your face by the end of chapter 4.

That class also has an S-rank in Katanas, so it all works out in the end.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Uhhh Performer doesn't have a good Katana rank.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Neither does Vampire, so I'm pretty confused.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Nitramster posted:

Here's my path so far:

I'm at about the same point right now, and I've got a similar set-up going.

Tiz: Knight/Monk
Ringabel: Thief/Freelancer
Agnes: Black Mage/White Mage
Edea: Spell Fencer/Monk

Is Time Mage worth using early on (with a Time Mage/White Mage combo), or is Black Mage better? From what I hear, Time Mage doesn't really get its best abilities until later on.

Also, is building up multiple Spell Fencers worth it? From what I hear, it's a pretty good boost to damage if you know what elements you're hitting.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm sorry I don't understand, Ringabel can be jobs other then Performer?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Jesus gently caress Chaugmar was a loving DICK.

Also furry Ringabel 4 lyfe.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Veskit posted:

Jesus gently caress Chaugmar was a loving DICK.

Also furry Ringabel 4 lyfe.
He's just got 9999 physical defense, come on. (Set damage attacks and damage items still work juuuuuust fine when he's defending, by the way, as do debuffs!)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Last Celebration posted:

Neither does Vampire, so I'm pretty confused.

Don't be willfully dense ya'll.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

theshim posted:

He's just got 9999 physical defense, come on. (Set damage attacks and damage items still work juuuuuust fine when he's defending, by the way, as do debuffs!)

I killed him, he was just annoying. It took me a couple hours to kill him. Problem was I have barely any concept of restraint.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

really, were you on hard or something? he follows a pretty standard rpg trope.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I haven't played a jrpg like this since.... FF9?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finished this game at work and you have no idea how weird it was for my coworkers to be looking at me as I was watching the special movie.

Oh and gently caress Mega Magic.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Veskit posted:

I haven't played a jrpg like this since.... FF9?

What about this game is FF9-like to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think he meant he hasn't played a conventional JPRG since FF9.

• Locked thread