Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Malachi Constant posted:

Not that I think Rush believes anything he says, but do people not see this obvious parallel? Surely they must see that they're on the wrong side of history.

I think they see it, otherwise they'd be doing something other than whining. Complaining about unfair treatment to no one in particular while you're simultaneously on your way to getting in line with what's right is a sore loser move you'd see in any pre-school classroom. If Rush and co. really thought they were being wronged, as opposed to just being called out on being bad people, they would tell you exactly why and how they deserve justice. Instead they tell you why and how they deserve a time machine back to the 40's and that everyone is MEAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea there's been a massive shift, exactly in line with the shift of the public to support our rights, of rightwingers doubling down on the ~gay mafia~ poo poo. They know they lost, and history will treat them just as foul as they deserve, they have nothing left but to desperately play victim in zero hour. It honestly makes me happy because I know we're basically getting near the victory lap at this stage.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea there's been a massive shift, exactly in line with the shift of the public to support our rights, of rightwingers doubling down on the ~gay mafia~ poo poo. They know they lost, and history will treat them just as foul as they deserve, they have nothing left but to desperately play victim in zero hour. It honestly makes me happy because I know we're basically getting near the victory lap at this stage.

Or not, since contrary to popular perception gay marriage is not the end-all be-all of LGBT issues.

Like, maybe once it becomes illegal nationwide to fire someone or cancel their lease because they're gay and trans people have guaranteed coverage for treatments we can talk about a victory lap.

This might be better addressed in the marriage equality thread, but the gay movement is heavily driven by wealthy white gay men to whom gay marriage is the primary issue. The perception that once that has been achieved that the LGBT movement is essentially done and it's time for a "victory lap" is really worrying, because I really don't see those wealthy white guys taking on the other battles that need to be fought and the rest of the coalition tends to be poor as gently caress.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 8, 2014

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yeah, I have been seeing that alot of late. a big thing i have seen,at least according to Right Wing Watch, is the right wing acting like gays will turn into the Nazis. Hell, some are going the Scott Lively route and saying The Nazis were evil super gays who killed everyone for gay supremacy or something.
The other thing i noticed are alot of the social right are just straight up supporting Putin, Assad,or anyone who is fighting the gays or Muslims. stuff like that makes me wonder how far they dig.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also, aren't there still a lot of people, in the South especially, who actually do still think interracial marriage is wrong anyways? I'd imagine there'd be a significant overlap in anti-gay marriage and anti-interracial marriage circles.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

pengun101 posted:

yeah, I have been seeing that alot of late. a big thing i have seen,at least according to Right Wing Watch, is the right wing acting like gays will turn into the Nazis. Hell, some are going the Scott Lively route and saying The Nazis were evil super gays who killed everyone for gay supremacy or something.
The other thing i noticed are alot of the social right are just straight up supporting Putin, Assad,or anyone who is fighting the gays or Muslims. stuff like that makes me wonder how far they dig.

One thing I've noticed is how prevalent the practice of tolerating "fringe" for the political convenience is accepted in right-wing circles. No matter what it is, it always seems that any conservative organization is usually just about two degrees of separation from John Birch or something similar.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Paul MaudDib posted:

Or not, since contrary to popular perception gay marriage is not the end-all be-all of LGBT issues.

Like, maybe once it becomes illegal nationwide to fire someone or cancel their lease because they're gay and trans people have guaranteed coverage for treatments we can talk about a victory lap.

This might be better addressed in the marriage equality thread, but the gay movement is heavily driven by wealthy white gay men to whom gay marriage is the primary issue. The perception that once that has been achieved that the LGBT movement is essentially done and it's time for a "victory lap" is really worrying, because I really don't see those wealthy white guys taking on the other battles that need to be fought and the rest of the coalition tends to be poor as gently caress.

How much work with actual gay groups do you do? I was obviously using victory lap as a not 100% genuine thing and most everyplace I'm involved with is heavily behind more than marriage.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also, aren't there still a lot of people, in the South especially, who actually do still think interracial marriage is wrong anyways? I'd imagine there'd be a significant overlap in anti-gay marriage and anti-interracial marriage circles.

Southerners are a little less in favor, but still 83% overall are okay with it compared to 87% nationwide:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163697/approve-marriage-blacks-whites.aspx

I would guess isolating southern whites that number would be a bit lower. Also kinda astonishing (though not surprising) to think a majority disapproved of miscegenation until the late 90s.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

comes along bort posted:

Southerners are a little less in favor, but still 83% overall are okay with it compared to 87% nationwide:

I would guess isolating southern whites that number would be a bit lower. Also kinda astonishing (though not surprising) to think a majority disapproved of miscegenation until the late 90s.

I no-poo poo remember the episode of Murphy Brown wherein she gets a black boyfriend, and it made the news.

Canadian news.

I might be misremembering that last part.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 8, 2014

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

comes along bort posted:

For reference, I think it polled around 67% approval in the 2012 Mississippi GOP primary.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

For reference, I think it polled around 67% approval in the 2012 Mississippi GOP primary.

Yeah, but Mississippi is unapologetic about how terrible they are. They're the yardstick of poo poo that we measure the rest of the nation by. If any of your state's key livability stats start to get anywhere within shouting distance of Mississippi's, poo poo's hosed up and your pols need to be fired.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Waaaaaaay too optimistic, it was 40%.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_MS_0407915.pdf

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Maybe I was thinking it was 67% statewide.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's an important symbolic victory to have, though. I don't think anyone who is actively working toward gay marriage rights is just going to drop LGBT issues immediately afterward. Maybe the brogressives and reddit liberal types, but not people who actually care about LGBT stuff. The reason it's taken the forefront is because it has way, way more symbolic power than other discrimination issues LGBT people face. It's faster to say, catchier, and easier to make into stories and movies and books and TV shows. It also has the potential to be turned into a positive thing: you can put up billboards and spread posts on the internet of grinning gay couples who have just been married, and talk about how it's real love etc etc. Most of the other issues can only ever be communicated negatively: this thing is happening and it's awful.

So while it doesn't cover absolutely everything, it does put a big old foot in the door, and that's the point of it. Once we have utterly affirmed that LGBT love is real love and no different from straight love, we can't justify other areas of discrimination against LGBT people.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You missed the best part.

I don't even know what this means. Well, I do, but it's amazingly nutty.

It's a secret ballot, how could they find out who voted for whom if they don't tell anyone? If I were afraid of Obama, I would have voted for McCain or Romney and just told everybody I voted for Obama. I suppose the president's Commie-Nazi secret police force can just match my DNA to my ballot or something, though. Good thing I did vote for Obama! :razz:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Real intolerance is being held to account for your terrible opinions.

This is what they are terrified of really. Look at what happened with Mozilla. They put a bigot in charge and people turned on them almost instantly, they backed down in like a week it was incredible. Its a warning shot, because lets face it an internet browser is nothing, it takes 5 minutes to get chrome on your PC, when your product is that replaceable its easy to tell them to gently caress off, they had absolutely no choice but to try to save face. What guys like Rush see here though is loving poison to their long term business plan, what they see is a silent consumer force in this country that is willing to do massive damage to a company just by exercising their core consumer right. Vote with your wallet. Conservatives harp on this all the time but you're not actually supposed to do it, that loving freaks them out. If this kind of super effective loud backlash wildfire protest becomes even more common place the next time Rush calls some woman a slut he knows that the same silent base will slam every single one of his sponsors in a volume that made his last gently caress up seem like a tiny blip.

Not just Rush either, GOP party officials, high profile CEOs, you name it, none of them want accountability for their backwater views and in the past there was always a small chance that if you said / did something dumb in front of the wrong person a reporter might get wind of it. But now odds are if you do something anywhere any time and there's any record of it, no matter how small, the longer time goes on the higher the chance that it gets disclosed or hacked and your financial fortunes hosed before you even see the first re-tweet. Its the only effective weapon against them, they don't fear being scum, they don't fear being insulted, but they are scared stiff of being poor.

Its really the internet's fault too. Not just because of the accessibility of data, but because of the human willingness to draw battle lines when you dont have to look someone in the eye. In the past it was easier to just say gently caress it and not think about it when something contentious came up, after all most people really don't want to get in a yelling match with their neighbor over some company scandal. But the internet is different, people will like or retweet or share without even thinking about it, and they will argue without even thinking about it. Once that happens they entrench almost immediately, suddenly you're willing to call Bob next door an rear end because Bob is still next door and not up in your grill, now you're uninstalling Firefox and Bob is swearing to use it forever and boom your boycott of Mozilla has begun. After that its just a numbers game, whoever has more will hurt / help the corporation more and in the end if your position is slightly less palatable your corporation gets is bottom line poo poo all over, and it happens in a matter of hours or days well before you could draft a reaction strategy.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 8, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This is 100% anecdotal, but when Chick-fil-a was happening something that really helped me give up their (delicious) chicken was the massive amount of unapologetic shitheels who publicly rallied behind them. I felt like I couldn't buy a sandwich without helping them step on gays.

Ultimately the "Buy chicken to support 'traditional marriage!'" people skeeved me out more than anything the company was doing. I'd be interested in reading any papers on that whole event, having your business become a line in the sand can't be an ideal business model.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Chic-Fil-A near me is always doing massive business despite my personal boycott so I would assume that overall they aren't really hurting too much. I wonder how much of that has to do with that one guy activist they more or less bought out while just being slightly less brazen with donating to anti-gay advocacy groups.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Chick Fil A just overtook KFC in sales despite KFC having 2.5x as many stores.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You missed the best part.

I don't even know what this means. Well, I do, but it's amazingly nutty.
It's a foundational belief of Dittoheads that blacks get all the breaks and the only reason a clearly-unqualified dunce like Obama got elected was because liberals have been stoking the fires of White Guilt for the last 50 years. People just felt pressured to Do The Right Thing and throw the black guy a bone in order to make up for hundreds of years of "slavery" and "oppression" and that's why we have this radical Marxist who isn't even a US citizen as President etcetera etcetera.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

So if I get drive thru taco bell does that mean I support immigration reform?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skaboomizzy posted:

It doesn't hurt anything that they have a consistently better-tasting product. Most people don't care about politics at all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

skaboomizzy posted:

KFC is consistently the deadest fast foot chain I've ever been to. They're going the way of Blockbuster and Circuit City.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Most people don't care about politics at all.

This is an important point, DND is an incredibly politically aware group compared to the average person. Not because of intelligence, or talent, but because of interest. To most people, politics are those boring things that happen when people tell you to vote and you forget to register. People may identify one way or another, and may have some political opinions, but they learned those from there parents, and other than maybe occasionally voting, they don't care to think or act on them in any substantive way.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Keep in mind that that kind of poll is no that reliable, and matters are usually worse. Many people who hold controversial/ethically troubling positions don't admit to them, even when offered full anonymity. Part of that is that they don't like to admit it even to themselves, part is that they don't trust the study to keep their identities secret.

At best, that kind of research finds people willing to SAY they dislike interracial marriage/etc. There's a significant minority that will be glad to spout tolerant views once they become mainstream but hold fast to their prejudice in personal practice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

computer parts posted:

KFC is consistently the deadest fast foot chain I've ever been to. They're going the way of Blockbuster and Circuit City.

Tell that to China. Holy poo poo is KFC rolling in the money there.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Budwiser is considered a premium brand in China. Marketing is weird as hell.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zeroisanumber posted:

Budweiser is very very good at making beer.

Whether or not its tasty is obviously a very different question, but they are fantastic at making a whole lot of beer consistently of the exact same quality.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

Isn't Stella considered swill in Europe while in the US we have commercials where a dude handcrafts each glass before it's served.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

Isn't Stella considered swill in Europe while in the US we have commercials where a dude handcrafts each glass before it's served.

I don't know if it's considered premium or anything, but it's definitely sold as an up-market beer. I can't remember offhand what it tastes like because we've had so many good microbrew pubs open up in my town in the last few years that I'm all but swimming in great beer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't know if it's considered premium or anything, but it's definitely sold as an up-market beer. I can't remember offhand what it tastes like because we've had so many good microbrew pubs open up in my town in the last few years that I'm all but swimming in great beer.

I had a date where the girl decided she was done drinking and made me finish her Stella. I've never drank skunk piss before, but I'd wager a guess that's what it tasted like.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I had a date where the girl decided she was done drinking and made me finish her Stella. I've never drank skunk piss before, but I'd wager a guess that's what it tasted like.

Stella is on the same level as Bud or Coors, its still better than Natural Light or Keystone, but, not by much.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Also this:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Barudak posted:

So is Japan, where KFC convinced everyone that Kentucky fried chicken is the traditional Christmas meal. You have to make a reservation two months in advance to make sure you get your chicken dinner in time for Christmas.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

And Buick is the prestige GM marque. But last I heard KFC was losing market share.

This is like how all our fancy hipster triple bocks from Amsterdam have "artisan" labels here, and in NL they have names like CRUNK PUNISHER ICE

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Not gonna lie, I'd buy CRUNK PUNISHER ICE.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Radish posted:

My wife recently informed me that it is considered a "wife beater" beer in England. I looked it up and she was not lying.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Or it's just indecipherable German beers sold at regular bars titled "Bier Garten".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

lil mortimer posted:

My wife recently informed me that it is considered a "wife beater" beer in England. I looked it up and she was not lying.

It's lovingly referred to as Redneck Champagne in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paul MaudDib posted:

This has been addressed many times in that thread and usually grinds it to a complete halt with fighting.