Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Korak posted:

BWR Doomwake Legion. Constantly keep the board wiped including killing gods that get turned on.

I'm confused, where's the combo? By Legion you mean Assemble the Legion? But that only triggers Doomwake Giant once, as the tokens are not enchantments. I think I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Now this is A Good Black card, not bad Nightmare. I want a standard deck built around this so hard.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm confused, where's the combo? By Legion you mean Assemble the Legion? But that only triggers Doomwake Giant once, as the tokens are not enchantments. I think I'm missing something.
Legion's Initiative.

Which, by the way, sounds hilarious. :getin:

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
I'm not 100% sure, but I thought this morning on SCG they had preorder price on Iroas at $14.99 and now it's $19.99 - what an awesome speculation that would have been!

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

an_mutt posted:

Legion's Initiative.

Which, by the way, sounds hilarious. :getin:

Oh right that card. Sounds potentially neat. But while we're in ridiculous combo land, Naya Enchantments with Legion's Initiative and the new Enchantress could also be amusing.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Recess Rapist posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought this morning on SCG they had preorder price on Iroas at $14.99 and now it's $19.99 - what an awesome speculation that would have been!

It started at $9.99.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
These are all good cards, but I can't help but view them through the lens of 'too slow, a turn too expensive, if only it was a mana cheaper' and so forth. The Giant looks good against MonoU for wiping Master of Waves tokens, but you'd have to drop two enchants a turn to wipe out a Cackler, or more for any of the other creatures currently seeing play, and Black just doesn't have access to that kind of mana.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

ThirdEmperor posted:

These are all good cards, but I can't help but view them through the lens of 'too slow, a turn too expensive, if only it was a mana cheaper' and so forth. The Giant looks good against MonoU for wiping Master of Waves tokens, but you'd have to drop two enchants a turn to wipe out a Cackler, or more for any of the other creatures currently seeing play, and Black just doesn't have access to that kind of mana.

Agreed. Exactly zero of the spoiled cards look attractive for an aggro deck.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Not even an aggro deck, Black control isn't going to have enough enchants to drop and mana to drop them with at any stage where the Giant would be relevant. Esper plain wouldn't bother with it unless Brimaz seriously comes into vogue. The only possible use in Standard is some kind of mana bloom/constellation The Rock, and that's seriously unlikely.

It's a card without purpose.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

morning wood posted:

Agreed. Exactly zero of the spoiled cards look attractive for an aggro deck.

2/1 for 1 black mana with upside, one of 12 cards spoiled.

Not attractive for aggro.

Get out of my aggro deck tormented hero.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

ThirdEmperor posted:

I agree regarding everything spoiled so far except the RW god. It seems quite fairly/aggressively costed (or at least obviously costed so that it would be tested seriously in a boros aggro/devotion shell). Curving Ash Zealot into Boros Reckoner into that guy seems insane. Guess it just depends on if the meta is friendly to that sort of deck.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
The Boros god is sick, agreed. I have no idea whether he'll pan out in Standard but I don't really care.

uggy posted:

It's.. honestly not competitive with Cackler? I mean, it's got utility is a block-stopper but how often is an aggro deck going to be stalled against a single blocker? If more cards with useful constellation abilities emerge I might use it but otherwise the outlook is pretty grim beyond Sealed/Draft use.

ThirdEmperor fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 8, 2014

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

ThirdEmperor posted:

It's.. honestly not competitive with Cackler? I mean, it's got utility is a block-stopper but how often is an aggro deck going to be stalled against a single blocker? If more cards with useful constellation abilities emerge I might use it but otherwise the outlook is pretty grim beyond Sealed/Draft use.

It's pretty much equal to cackler, they both have two power and cost 1.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
But it trades to one power. Against certain decks, that matters a lot. If it became the baseline for aggro then I'd feel a lot more confident with a Young Pyro deck.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!
Iroas could see play as a curve topper for red aggro in creature matchups. Not any good against control, but he'd be pretty brutal against any deck that plans on blocking. Mono blue would still suck but he gives you a chance to punch through a resolved master instead of having to concede on the spot.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ThirdEmperor posted:

But it trades to one power. Against certain decks, that matters a lot. If it became the baseline for aggro then I'd feel a lot more confident with a Young Pyro deck.

The ability to run four more 2-power-1-mana dudes is going to way outweigh any concerns about toughness - you're trying not to get blocked, after all. Monoblack Aggro, if it exists, will likely be on 4 each of these, Cacklers, and Tormented Hero.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

ThirdEmperor posted:

And? Spike jester trades with one and that dude makes rakdos aggro tick

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I also think it's relevant that you can still totally bestow the Scarhide onto your own creatures, that being actually its original intent. Herald of Torment of course being the most attractive target. I think that functionality, combined with being able to force through lethal damage by disabling a key blocker, make it more than good enough to see play.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

LordSaturn posted:

The ability to run four more 2-power-1-mana dudes is going to way outweigh any concerns about toughness - you're trying not to get blocked, after all. Monoblack Aggro, if it exists, will likely be on 4 each of these, Cacklers, and Tormented Hero.

I don't seriously see a deck with a backbone of three one drops in this meta, but who knows? If that becomes a thing I could actually see Scarhide being pretty good.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

ThirdEmperor posted:

I don't seriously see a deck with a backbone of three one drops in this meta, but who knows? If that becomes a thing I could actually see Scarhide being pretty good.

The card will be around for a year and a half plus cackler rotates out.

Seriously, people judging these spoiled cards because they don't slot into a deck already need to relax and be patient (this isn't aimed at you thirdemperor).

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Actually, thinking about it a bit more, the Scarhide is a pretty annoying card against Esper in general. Bestow lets you keep the pressure up without opening yourself up to Supreme Verdict blowouts. Putting it on a Herald of Torment is super relevant when your opponent's favorite stabilizing play has 5 loyalty and isn't good against fliers. And Esper decks often like to sideboard in Archangel of Thune, expecting you to have already sided out your removal; that's a card that could end up very difficult to beat, but being able to remove it as a blocker for a turn could turn the tides.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

eu is firmly a dipthong in ancient Greek, creating a sound which we very rarely hear in English and I'm not quite sure how to describe. It is very much not what I'd instinctively pronounce it as if it was an English word, ie Le-ew-croc-cota.

So I won't describe it, I'll say it.

Haha this is awesome

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Being able to bestow that dude on your own guys is great for aggro. The biggest problem with aggro is that if you don't kill fast enough, you run out of steam and are stuck topdecking little dudes. Aggro decks with creatures that are relevant in multiple spots of the curve are great. If you can drop him t1, great. If you draw him t4 and bestow him on a herald, still good.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Myriad Truths posted:

Ah crap you're right. Misread it for any creature instead of enchantment.

uggy posted:

The card will be around for a year and a half plus cackler rotates out.

Seriously, people judging these spoiled cards because they don't slot into a deck already need to relax and be patient (this isn't aimed at you thirdemperor).
That's (supposed to be) the point of the first week of spoilers. Post really interesting stuff to get people excited about existing archtypes since it's hard to theorycraft new archtypes with so few cards shown. We can obviously talk about the new mechanics and how they could fit into decks since there are only so many effects they put on cards. We saw what happened with mono blue not really receiving anything in BNG and it was a bit disappointing.

ThirdEmperor posted:

When Frank Karsten did his 'best theoretical aggro deck' simulations having another one drop actually got kills faster. Maybe some method of making them unblockable consistently? Prowler's Helm? You just vomit your hand and depending on what you're playing you make the adjustments needed to push through damage.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Chorocojo posted:

Fresh leeches.

This not having lifelink is the new Whippoorwill.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

The "devotion to basic lands" guys are going to be fun to hit in Momir. Other than that I can't get excited about them outside Sealed Deck. 7 mana is just too much for a card in this draft format unless you're talking about a Bestow cost or Abhorrent Overlord.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I'm trying to figure out a good way to carry around my EDH deck. Since I'm annoying token guy, I'm bringing along a set of all the tokens I'll need (about 20) in addition to the 100 double-sleeved cards in the deck. Is there anything that's convenient without being giant? Everything else I have is in Legion-sized deckboxes.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Promoted Pawn posted:

The "devotion to basic lands" guys are going to be fun to hit in Momir. Other than that I can't get excited about them outside Sealed Deck. 7 mana is just too much for a card in this draft format unless you're talking about a Bestow cost or Abhorrent Overlord.

Too bad Momir is a worthless format now that they don't do dailies anymore :D.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

standard.deviant posted:

I'm trying to figure out a good way to carry around my EDH deck. Since I'm annoying token guy, I'm bringing along a set of all the tokens I'll need (about 20) in addition to the 100 double-sleeved cards in the deck. Is there anything that's convenient without being giant? Everything else I have is in Legion-sized deckboxes.

See if your LGS has 300ct cardboard boxes? One holds my (Kinda doublesleeved because of my extensive proxies to test stuff) EDH deck + an old mtg precon deck full of assorted stuff. That or the 200ct since I have a lot of filler dreck.

Or build 6-9 more EDH decks and store them in a Holiday Box :kheldragar:

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

ShadeofBlue posted:

Too bad Momir is a worthless format now that they don't do dailies anymore :D.

Any format where the $10 deck plays exactly the same as the $300 deck is always good to kill a few minutes with in the casual room.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

standard.deviant posted:

Have you tried fatpack boxes?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Bugsy posted:

Have you tried fatpack boxes?
That's where it lives right now but I'd like something about half that size. I don't really want to carry a huge amount of crap around with me if possible.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

standard.deviant posted:

Fanny pack, thank me later.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uggy posted:

Cut the cacklers instead. Bestow the scar hide ONTO tormented hero. That heroic trigger is relevant.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

standard.deviant posted:

That's where it lives right now but I'd like something about half that size. I don't really want to carry a huge amount of crap around with me if possible.

The 200ct cardboard boxes are probably what you're looking for. My LGS sells them for 35 cents each.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Sleep of Bronze posted:

eu is firmly a dipthong in ancient Greek, creating a sound which we very rarely hear in English and I'm not quite sure how to describe. It is very much not what I'd instinctively pronounce it as if it was an English word, ie Le-ew-croc-cota.

So I won't describe it, I'll say it.

Awesome nerds like you and Chorocojo make this thread great :keke:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Mezzanon posted:

Cut the cacklers instead. Bestow the scar hide ONTO tormented hero. That heroic trigger is relevant.
GB Scryland plus hopefully more golgari-type cards in JOU means there could be an uptick in charms and other -1/-1 type effects. Having 1 toughness might matter?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

...what is this supposed to be?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1467

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

• Locked thread