Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Drogadon posted:

I play 5 a side so it's never boring unless it's a blowout.

I play 5 a side in the winter but when the weather is nice, I only want to play 11 vs 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

TheBigAristotle posted:

My five-a-side team has a pretty good keeper and he's constantly telling me when I need to make adjustments or if I'm blocking his view of the ball, or just not staying central when I need to. It frequently leads to defensive stops. I fuckin love it, I'd rather take orders and win than get mad because I might disagree with the keeper.

Also he's a Polish guy named Sev and his last name is a bunch of consonants, so I just assume he knows what he's talking about. Also the spelling of Sczezcznznzny apparently makes total sense to him, so he's clearly authentic.

That's great and all, but if this thread is any indication, most American keepers are fat goons that play keeper because they aren't good enough for the field. :)

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Here in CR the abundance of goalkeepers is less about the "fat goon" and more about our tradition of awesome goalkeepers.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Drogadon posted:

Here in CR the abundance of goalkeepers is less about the "fat goon" and more about our tradition of awesome goalkeepers.

Czech Republic?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Soulex posted:

Czech Republic?

Costa Rica, Know Your Posters!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You can't tell me what to do

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Drogadon posted:

Ah yes, noted legends such as

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Since no-one knows how bad I am in real life I will claim awesome status as goalie.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Shrapnig posted:

Ah yes, noted legends such as

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2077408/Esteban-Alvarado-Alkmaar-goalkeeper-attacks-fan-ran-pitch.html

ok ok, awesome in the context of CONCACAF

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 4, 2014

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

cosmicjim posted:

That's great and all, but if this thread is any indication, most American keepers are fat goons that play keeper because they aren't good enough for the field. :)

Yeah I love my team, we've got a sick Afghani (Afghan?) dude on our team too for a little more international flavor

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

Tonight I had a defender ask me why conceding a throw-in is better than conceding a corner.

Another defender asked me which way to force the ball on a 1v1, towards the center or away from goal.

I try not to yell constantly like some keepers, but goddamn some players loving need it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bobby Digital posted:

Tonight I had a defender ask me why conceding a throw-in is better than conceding a corner.

Another defender asked me which way to force the ball on a 1v1, towards the center or away from goal.

I try not to yell constantly like some keepers, but goddamn some players loving need it.

What the gently caress?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Bobby Digital posted:

Tell him the object is to herd the other team towards the goal as if they were a flock of sheep.

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
I just play 5 a side each weekend with my mates, nothing truly competitive.

But we've been doing it long enough for me to take note that the ability to make a good, intelligent run is something lost on amateur players completely.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Wow, running a 5k 3 times a week uses totally different muscles than soccer, gently caress am i sore... can anyone explain to me why coed leagues require a female touch on the offensive, and not have a competing coed league without that rule? I get the 3 females on the field but the female touch totally fucks with the flow of the game.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

fyallm posted:

Wow, running a 5k 3 times a week uses totally different muscles than soccer, gently caress am i sore... can anyone explain to me why coed leagues require a female touch on the offensive, and not have a competing coed league without that rule? I get the 3 females on the field but the female touch totally fucks with the flow of the game.

I've never heard that rule before. The co-ed league I played in for years didn't actually require a female to be on the field/roster, it was just open to them if they wanted to play.

Chuck out one of your 5k days and make it a speed work day instead(suicides/intervals/whatever).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I played coed and that was never a thing. Sounds like its just your league.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Huh, it might just be an Ohio thing because every league in our area requires 3 females, a female touch on the offensive side and every free kick on the offensive side to be taken by a female.

Shrapnig thats some good advice and will help me break my shoes in more thanks!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

fyallm posted:

a female touch on the offensive side
I don't really understand what this means? So if you're attacking, you have to have a female touch the ball at least once in the opposition half?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I was going to say that running 5k three times a week or whatever isn't going to be much help for football.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Chas McGill posted:

I don't really understand what this means? So if you're attacking, you have to have a female touch the ball at least once in the opposition half?

Yep, so if you are on a breakaway (dude) from midfield and are staring at a wide open goal, you have to wait and pass to a female before you can score. Here are the
COED additional rules:

The normal number of female players is a minimum of three, not counting the goalkeeper. If a female receives a 2 minute penalty, she is deemed part of the game and is not to be replaced on the field. A minimum of two females must be present for the game to be played. In the event there is only one female able to play, due to injury, ejection etc., the game shall be deemed a forfeit.

A female must touch the ball in the offensive half before a goal can be scored. A female must retouch if possession is gained by the opposing goalkeeper. Possession is clear control in the hands. In the unusual situation of a goal scored from the defensive half, it need not be touched by a female. Note, a goal can be scored from the defending half with no touch.

A female must take all restarts in the offensive half.

A female must retouch on any restart by the opposing team in the opposing teams defensive half. Kickoff is not deemed touch.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

fyallm posted:

Yep, so if you are on a breakaway (dude) from midfield and are staring at a wide open goal, you have to wait and pass to a female before you can score. Here are the
COED additional rules:

The normal number of female players is a minimum of three, not counting the goalkeeper. If a female receives a 2 minute penalty, she is deemed part of the game and is not to be replaced on the field. A minimum of two females must be present for the game to be played. In the event there is only one female able to play, due to injury, ejection etc., the game shall be deemed a forfeit.

A female must touch the ball in the offensive half before a goal can be scored. A female must retouch if possession is gained by the opposing goalkeeper. Possession is clear control in the hands. In the unusual situation of a goal scored from the defensive half, it need not be touched by a female. Note, a goal can be scored from the defending half with no touch.

A female must retouch on any restart by the opposing team in the opposing teams defensive half. Kickoff is not deemed touch.

Ah yes, the feminism thread rises from its ashes.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

fyallm posted:

Huh, it might just be an Ohio thing because every league in our area requires 3 females, a female touch on the offensive side and every free kick on the offensive side to be taken by a female.

Shrapnig thats some good advice and will help me break my shoes in more thanks!

Columbus here, never heard any of those rules.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Captain Trips posted:

Columbus here, never heard any of those rules.

drat Cincinnati.... I'm just surprised out of all of the places around here 0 don't have any just COED no special rules.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

fyallm posted:

COED additional rules:

Thanks for the explanation. I've never played a coed game. I don't think they're as popular in the UK. The rules seem a bit patronising, but whatever, I expect the league has a justification for them.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The league I'm in is 6-a-side and two players have to be female. Fortunately, we have 4 pretty good girls on our team, so it's not an issue.

That "pass to a girl on offense" rule is patronizing as hell

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Not a problem Chas, yeah not sure what the reasoning is, seems ridicoulus.

quote:

The league I'm in is 6-a-side and two players have to be female. Fortunately, we have 4 pretty good girls on our team, so it's not an issue.

That "pass to a girl on offense" rule is patronizing as hell

Yeah I agree it is, which is why when I started looking at other leagues around town they all had similar rules and thought maybe that was common, good to know its just our poo poo town.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Don't play co-ed. Problem solved.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Our league requires two girls for the over-30 league (but the girls only have to be 18+), and it's maddening. We're always pretty evenly matched against the other men, but for some reason I always end up on the team with slow girls. So when we go against teams with 18 year old girls who were HS stars, it might as well be 6 v 4 instead of 6 v 6. I can't imagine having the girl-on-offense rule on top of that. We would literally never score. I'm not even sure I've seen one of ours score in the past 3 sessions at all.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Last year our 7s coed league counted girl goals as 2. It was brutal if you had a good female striker and the other team was lazy about marking her.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Indoor coed rules around here just need three women on the field (out of six, keeper's gender doesn't matter), and the men aren't allowed more than three touches in a row; i.e., men can trap, move, then pass or shoot. Two guys can pass back and forth between each other as much as they want anywhere on the field, no requirements for forcing women to be involved in all attacks or whatever.

Edit: ^^ That too, girl goals are worth two

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
These coed rules are insane.

Last time I played coed was in a pickup game though and the girl that showed up was really good and made a mess of a few fat engineers (like me).

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Gigi Galli posted:

These coed rules are insane.

Last time I played coed was in a pickup game though and the girl that showed up was really good and made a mess of a few fat engineers (like me).

Yeah, most of the girls that show up for pickup here are ex-HS or college players. Columbus is even starting up a semi-pro women's team, there's a serious number of good female players around the city.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
The indoor place I used to go to had a rule where girl goals were worth two. Depending on where you are, there are funky coed rules. It just how some of those leagues work.

Shrapnig posted:

Don't play co-ed. Problem solved.

Coed can be fun as hell. It's a great way to meet girls.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Where I play mixed indoor, the only rule is that you have to have 1 girl on the field at all times (5v5) and you can't kick it hard/head high at them (moreso if they are in keeper).

I'm ok with the rules because everyone knows there's a terminator in some teams wherein if they are losing, they'll just chimp out and start pushing girls/try to put them through the net by powering a shot at them from point blank range.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
All those rules are tools of the patriarchy to keep proud independent women down and literally annihilate decades of the feminist equality movement.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So my U-10 team won 10-0 this weekend; even after I started to trying to throttle them back by having them shoot with their weak foot, dictating a certain number of touches before they could take a shot on goal...I felt bad for the other team honestly because I don't like to run up the score. Luckily I know most of the coaches pretty well and they know that's not my style. What was really exciting is that the kids are actually trying to do the things I'm teaching them in practice. I have to brag a little because my daughter took a nice a cross from another girl on the team and made a really nice finish with her weak foot (shes a natural lefty shooter even though she is right handed). She scored again off another cross from the same gal and then the girl that crossed those two eventually made a goal of her own. The third girl on the team played in goal for half the game and surprised the heck out of me to be honest. Made some ok stops but made some really smart plays that she did without any real keeper coaching. They were even back passing which most kids in rec never do, they only know how to go forward. Can you tell I was excited?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

So my U-10 team won 10-0 this weekend; even after I started to trying to throttle them back by having them shoot with their weak foot, dictating a certain number of touches before they could take a shot on goal...I felt bad for the other team honestly because I don't like to run up the score. Luckily I know most of the coaches pretty well and they know that's not my style. What was really exciting is that the kids are actually trying to do the things I'm teaching them in practice. I have to brag a little because my daughter took a nice a cross from another girl on the team and made a really nice finish with her weak foot (shes a natural lefty shooter even though she is right handed). She scored again off another cross from the same gal and then the girl that crossed those two eventually made a goal of her own. The third girl on the team played in goal for half the game and surprised the heck out of me to be honest. Made some ok stops but made some really smart plays that she did without any real keeper coaching. They were even back passing which most kids in rec never do, they only know how to go forward. Can you tell I was excited?

That's awesome! I seriously can't wait until my kid is old enough to start kicking a ball around because of stuff like this.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

fyallm posted:

Ours just had it so girls with the ball could not be defended by a man til they passed the halfway line, I'd hate to say anything sexist here but its making me mad. If you stole the ball from a girl it was a foul lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I wonder if those rules are applied to transwomen as well...

ephex fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 8, 2014