Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
gently caress that. Tell every retard that comes in here to join Marine Corps infantry so some pissed off 3rd award PFC can haze them to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

sforzacio posted:

Finally we have served an American citizen in a meaningful and profound way.

When someone says "Thank you for your service" I just pretend they're referring to this thread.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

sforzacio posted:

Finally we have served an American citizen in a meaningful and profound way.

Thank you for your service

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Cuatal posted:

Is that just in the army or other branches as well? I take anything I read on the actual Navy/Coast Guard/etc websites with a grain of salt since the military is (from what I've seen/heard, I don't have personal experience so maybe you guys can set me straight) notorious for saying one thing while you're signing up then going back on it once you've signed the paperwork.

The "threat" of deploying is always going to be there. My class at DLI had plenty of grumpy Army NCO's whose Korean language meant he took out trash in Afghanistan. Sometimes you are just a body

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You are always just a body, but sometimes you get to do your actual job and be left alone for the other poo poo.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

anne frank fanfic posted:

Theres good news for you regarding iraq, bad news regarding your awareness of current events

this made me lol but since it needs content mandarin is a language in high demand so join!!!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Cuatal posted:

Is that just in the army or other branches as well? I take anything I read on the actual Navy/Coast Guard/etc websites with a grain of salt since the military is (from what I've seen/heard, I don't have personal experience so maybe you guys can set me straight) notorious for saying one thing while you're signing up then going back on it once you've signed the paperwork.

Well it depends also if the stuff you're having written in even exist, and even then, (let's say you sign up with a contract that says you'll have a package to commission once you enlist) there's no guarantee that some things can be completely thought through so that you can achieve the end goal with what's written (commission from enlisted side with just a bit of time served enlisted duty). I have had friends where they set up the start of their career for what they wanted in their contracts (such as having specialty schools written in wherein they had orders designated to them before they graduated our Navy A school/some reservists that got paid the $20,000 and didn't attend FMSS school because the school was left out of their contracts, Navy couldn't take back the money they had already given them) and still ended up not having what they wanted (In the specialty school you may pick for new orders for a PCS to a duty station, but it probably won't be the duty station or unit you had in mind).

Your experience may vary. I've met people that got lucky and ended up doing poo poo they love by chance, without even planning for it. Other's signed up with every stipulation they ever thought of to end up where they wanted to and they hate their lives. Some come in with an idea and never get what they want. What you get out of enlistment/commission is partly what you put into it from your your end, some of what the service itself brings, and a portion of what others bring.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Godholio posted:

You are always just a body, but sometimes you get to do your actual job and then be hosed around with by having to do other poo poo.

Can't let people thinking about joining get any wrong ideas.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

How does commissioning in the USAR or the reserves in general work? Everything I kept finding was either about direct commissions for medical degrees or about AD commissioning. And if someone were interested in continuing their education would it be better to go enlisted reserves or commission?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Sasgrillo posted:

would it be better to go enlisted reserves or commission?

sigh...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sasgrillo posted:

How does commissioning in the USAR or the reserves in general work? Everything I kept finding was either about direct commissions for medical degrees or about AD commissioning. And if someone were interested in continuing their education would it be better to go enlisted reserves or commission?

Don't join the military in any capacity.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

holocaust bloopers posted:

Don't join the military in any capacity.

That said, commissioning is always better than enlisting. I think Army Warrants are the ONLY exception to that rule

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Booblord Zagats posted:

That said, commissioning is always better than enlisting. I think Army Warrants are the ONLY exception to that rule

I think it's been well established that enlisting as Marine infantry is the best option.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Sasgrillo posted:

I don't know much about the commissioning process but I can tell you this: 100% of the time, with zero exceptions, you will have a better experience in the military as a commissioned officer, rather than as an enlisted man. You will be paid more, get to avoid doing slave labor, and not be the complete and absolute bottom of the totem pole.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

I think it's been well established that enlisting as 18X is the best option.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
One day someone is going to take joke advice as genuine, and come back with pstd to murder all of gip.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Sasgrillo posted:

I am going to copy+paste a table for you to understand USNR education benefit structure:
Until you've met each tier, this is your GI bill benefit. No benefit exists if you haven't deployed/ATed for less than 90 days total. You get 36 months (1080 days) of GI bill benefit. If you use a day at 40%, it counts just as much as at 100%. The TLDR is that as a reservist, you only accrue benefit % for the GI bill for deploying/ATing as opposed to active duty where you get it for showing up to work every day. Reservists seem surprised to find out that they don't get the same thing as active guys and girls.

Post-9/11 Service
Percentage of Maximum Amount Payable
At least 36 cumulative months
(Includes Entry Level or Skills Training time)
100%

At least 30 continuous days on active duty and discharged due to service-connected disability
100%

At least 30 cumulative months
90%

At least 24 cumulative months
(Cannot include Entry Level or Skills Training time)
80%

At least 18 cumulative months
70%

At least 12 cumulative months
60%

At least 6 cumulative months
50%

90 aggregate days
40%

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

KetTarma posted:

I am going to copy+paste a table for you to understand USNR education benefit structure:
Until you've met each tier, this is your GI bill benefit. No benefit exists if you haven't deployed/ATed for less than 90 days total. You get 36 months (1080 days) of GI bill benefit. If you use a day at 40%, it counts just as much as at 100%. The TLDR is that as a reservist, you only accrue benefit % for the GI bill for deploying/ATing as opposed to active duty where you get it for showing up to work every day. Reservists seem surprised to find out that they don't get the same thing as active guys and girls.

This isn't true. You do not accrue active duty time for ATs. I'm 99% sure that reservists get benefits at the 40% rate upon completion of basic training.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

This isn't true. You do not accrue active duty time for ATs. I'm 99% sure that reservists get benefits at the 40% rate upon completion of basic training.

Yeah you are correct Basic/AIT gives you 40%, you can get a higher percentage if your training took longer than a year, no, split-op doesn't get you this. Active duty times gives you more GI Bill, so stuff like deployments. You can AT all the time you want it won't count. I think going AGR will also count as active duty time. Basically, if you want to get the whole GI Bill, three years of benefits, books, monthly BAH, you probably won't get the whole thing as a part timer. Reserves just seems like a bad deal all around man. You don't get the GI bill, you will have your home and work life hosed up, IE they will send you away to schools or TDY at random times besides drill weekends and AT, and you don't even get free insurance. Going active is probably a bad idea, joining the military is probably a bad idea, but if you REALLY want the GI Bill your best bet is picking some chill sounding job and keeping your head low for three years of active duty.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Hey guys. My female friend is joining the army and I know there are probably some things she should make sure the recruiter puts in her contract.

(working on reading the op now but she is going to enlist soon) Any general advice I can pass on or stuff like that would be great while I read. She is tiny, maybe 110 lbs weight, and I think is interested in doing animal stuff in the Army. She just took her ASVAB today, will update when I know her score.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

goodness posted:

Hey guys. My female friend is joining the army and I know there are probably some things she should make sure the recruiter puts in her contract.

(working on reading the op now but she is going to enlist soon) Any general advice I can pass on or stuff like that would be great while I read. She is tiny, maybe 110 lbs weight, and I think is interested in doing animal stuff in the Army. She just took her ASVAB today, will update when I know her score.

Why Army? Ick. What is she trying to escape? What is she trying to accomplish? Why is she not a goon so we can talk her out of it?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

poopkitty posted:

Why Army? Ick. What is she trying to escape? What is she trying to accomplish? Why is she not a goon so we can talk her out of it?

If you guys want I can set up a time where she is available, and I can post her questions/response through here?]

Or if there is a better way.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

goodness posted:

If you guys want I can set up a time where she is available, and I can post her questions/response through here?]

Or if there is a better way.

Yea, just tell her to not enlist.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Yea, just tell her to not enlist.

"Coast Guard is lame. Marines are to serious and I wouldn't want to go through basic. I have no interest in the Air Force. It was either the navy or army and when I was looking at programs the army had the most options."

She told me she got a 91 ASVAB. At first I was sorry I wasted your guys time, but then she said it was 91 percentile. And she got 125-127 on the scores.

I asked her what she wants to do and what she will not do.

"I want to be an intelligence analyst. Never infantry or fly anything"

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

goodness posted:

"Coast Guard is lame. Marines are to serious and I wouldn't want to go through basic. I have no interest in the Air Force. It was either the navy or army and when I was looking at programs the army had the most options."

She told me she got a 91 ASVAB. At first I was sorry I wasted your guys time, but then she said it was 91 percentile. And she got 125-127 on the scores.

She wants to be in the Navy. Tell her to see what the Army can offer and talk to the Navy recruiter, too. They may "have more programs" on paper, but may not have the opening she wants. I'm biased because I'm Navy. :)

E: I am PMable, too.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

poopkitty posted:

She wants to be in the Navy. Tell her to see what the Army can offer and talk to the Navy recruiter, too. They may "have more programs" on paper, but may not have the opening she wants. I'm biased because I'm Navy. :)

E: I am PMable, too.

Ok, I asked her to give me some specific questions. Thanks for the help so far, i just know how major a life decision this is and I realized I "knew" some people knowledgeable in area.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The difference between Army intel and Navy intel:
Navy: too busy to do your job because there is something to clean, a meeting to be in, paperwork to do, or some other Navy bullshit.
Army: too busy to do your job because there is something to clean, a formation to be in, exercises to do, or some other Army bullshit.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If you're enlisting in a peace time military, for fucks sake join the goddamed Coast Guard, they at least still have a job to do so they can't get AS far up their own rear end with decorum and pointless parading

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

goodness posted:

You seem like a nice guy. Find smarter friends. Quality of life is abysmal for the Army. But hey it's her funeral. It's been explained here before that a peace time military is trash. There's no money so there's nothing to do, but all that time is gotta be filled up somehow. It's all garrison gently caress gently caress games and half-assed training.

bloops fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 16, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

If you're enlisting in a peace time military, for fucks sake join the goddamed Coast Guard, they at least still have a job to do so they can't get AS far up their own rear end with decorum and pointless parading

Or the Navy where they still deploy around the world and do exercises in places like Japan instead of places like Fort Leonard Wood in peacetime.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I'm pretty convinced that the army is making life so miserable so that people get out so they can reduce numbers.

It's that bad. Seriously.

And it's only going to get worse!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm not the smartest guy around, but I know E-1+ pays the same across all four branches. Now I'd rather collect that paycheck in a branch that doesn't mandate formation runs, block leave, and mandatory PR at the rear end crack of dawn.

At least in the USAF you keep a cushy life working typical office hours and there's no fervent desire to break people on formation runs.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Booblord Zagats posted:

100% untrue

e: in fact they attempt to get further up their own rear end due to red-headed step-child syndrome

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I've worked Intel at joint bases my entire career.

Level of dumb poo poo a service makes its people do is roughly:

Least to most. Coast Guard isn't on the list because they are probably out fishing or something.

1) air force. Just do a bake sale and go home
2) Navy, p. Chill unless you are pcs afloat then it sucks pretty hard. Never pcs afloat.
3) Marines. Lol at rolling your sleeves up just because it's spring. It's still 10 degrees.
4) Army. Not a day goes by without the army coming up with bullshit training or watches or duties or schools to pull the army people on my team away. Every soldier is miserable all the time forever.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

krispykremessuck posted:

100% untrue

e: in fact they attempt to get further up their own rear end due to red-headed step-child syndrome

All my buddies in the CG have nothing but praise for it right now.

Maybe you're just bad at it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My coast guard friend loves it.

The navy mission doesn't stop during peacetime. We will have ships still deploying around the world and participating in joint exercises worldwide.

With that said, there is an inordinate amount of bullshit that goes along with it. It isn't army levels of stupid, but you'll curse the day you joined when you're going through your third TMI a few weeks out from INSURV.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Booblord Zagats posted:

All my buddies in the CG have nothing but praise for it right now.

Maybe you're just bad at it?

Stockholm Syndrome

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

goodness posted:

Tell her to shut up and at least look at the Air Force if she's dead set on enlisting. Quality of life exceeds the Army. They pretty much work alongside the Army anyway.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

shyduck posted:

Tell her to shut up and at least look at the Air Force if she's dead set on enlisting. Quality of life exceeds the Army. They pretty much work alongside the Army anyway.

Maybe she's too ugly for the Air Force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

True, we might need some photographic evidence

• Locked thread