Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Fast Luck posted:

How do you even remember someone like that?

Well she was also pretty hot :v:

I also haven't watched many seasons so it's easier to keep track of all the contestants I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Reynolds, Shane, Cao Boi and Judd.

On the same team. :3:

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
While I'm sure most people in this thread already know what "special powers" the new idol has (from a pre-show interview Probst gave), I was thinking about other modified idol mechanics that could be interesting. The only one I came up with that was actually substantially different but also not overpowered is: play the idol like the current idol (after votes are cast, but before they're read) and if you receive a plurality of votes, all votes are nullified and everyone immediately re-votes AND you can play the same idol on someone else on that particular re-vote. The main idea is to counter vote splitting. If I play the idol on myself but the vote was split on me and my partner, now I have a chance to save both of us on the second round-- if the majority alliance want to avoid multiple immune members in the minority, then they have to pick exactly one person to vote for and not split the vote.

Probably a bit too complicated to ever appear on the show, but interesting to think about. It would certainly be interesting to see the meta-game change for a substantially different idol.

Ruvv
Sep 29, 2004

Context posted:

I think cruising to the final 3 with the Brains tribe would've put her in an even worse position than she's in now.

This is part of what I've been thinking. Why are people so sure the Brains otherwise would have been BFF's until the end? There's obvious tension in that group.

Sure, she's probably 6 in her current alliances at the moment. I can't recall how often that stays, though. Recently people seem to have started to notice that after pangonging the other tribe, you alliance must eat itself and people look to switch up the top spots there.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
She was definitely just an extra vote to get through this tribal council with the Solana five. In a worst case scenario, she's at the exact same place in the Aparri alliance. All else being equal, you probably make the move that doesn't completely blindside and ruin the game of five people you've been close with for a few rounds when your neck isn't anywhere close to the line. Even if the dynamics in her own alliance change and she makes it to the finals, she's going to have a hell of a time convincing any Aparri to vote for her.

I do agree that a jury is probably going to be biased against an older woman that has been in a relative position of power throughout the game without making a "big move," but if Kass didn't want to ride to the final three with the other Brains, there would have been time to make a move further down the road that would have alienated fewer people and made her a more essential asset to her new alliance.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
There is actually a pretty decent chance Kass is next to go. She's proven herself completely unreliable and untrustworthy to everyone. With a member to give and still hold the numbers getting rid of the wildcard might be the right move.

Does anybody left really want to be in a position where they hang their game on Kass voting the way they want?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if I'm the alliance of five I want Kass gone before she has another chance to flip the game for whatever reason. If they trust each other then they don't need her. It's the problem with Survivor. They got the numbers so if they keep to it they can do what they want for the next few Councils. I'd just want to deflect her vote on someone else and take out Kass. If they're lucky they might even flush an idol.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 7, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ruvv posted:

This is part of what I've been thinking. Why are people so sure the Brains otherwise would have been BFF's until the end? There's obvious tension in that group.

Sure, she's probably 6 in her current alliances at the moment. I can't recall how often that stays, though. Recently people seem to have started to notice that after pangonging the other tribe, you alliance must eat itself and people look to switch up the top spots there.

It just made sense that they would have bonded and grown closer from going through what they did and being lucky enough to all land on the same tribe after the swap. If there was any dissension with the three of them any time after J'Tia's boot, it wasn't shown, so there really wasn't any reason to believe that they wouldn't be a core alliance going forward.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BGrifter posted:

There is actually a pretty decent chance Kass is next to go. She's proven herself completely unreliable and untrustworthy to everyone. With a member to give and still hold the numbers getting rid of the wildcard might be the right move.

Does anybody left really want to be in a position where they hang their game on Kass voting the way they want?

I don't see why either side would want to keep her now. The Solari side has a better goat in Gummy McHorseface and they don't need the numbers now. The Aparri side could use her, but can't really trust her.

Maybe she will go truly ChaosKass and try to force a rock draw.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
If I were in the majority alliance, I would definitely balk at voting Kass out now. Going back to a one-person majority is just asking for trouble. A good idol play alone could ruin your majority. Beyond that, flipping to a four-person alliance seems like it could be the best possible moment to switch sides if someone (Woo) feels they're clearly at the bottom of their alliance. It gives you a pretty good shot at finding an inroads to a Final Three alliance - once it's down to a minority of three, you're the odd man out by default, and at five it was probably too early.

Kass is going to be hated by her old tribe, and in my eyes I would view her as basically a lock to vote with me for the next few rounds. They don't see all the #chaoskass confessionals, so getting rid of her before the next vote would seem needlessly risky to me.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Ruvv posted:

Because it would have been the smart thing to do. Having an inner circle alliance already set up inside your former tribe alliance is a really strong position to be in. The way things ended up, there's no reason they shouldn't have Pagonged the remaining Solana then knocked off the rest of their alliance and cruised into the final 3.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Toaster Ding posted:

Because it would have been the smart thing to do. Having an inner circle alliance already set up inside your former tribe alliance is a really strong position to be in. The way things ended up, there's no reason they shouldn't have Pagonged the remaining Solana then knocked off the rest of their alliance and cruised into the final 3.

In a bunch of Sarah's interviews she claimed that she, Spencer, and Jeremiah had an F3 alliance, and that the majority alliance planned on booting Kass out the moment they had the numbers to. I wouldn't be surprised if Kass caught wind of that at some point, because it would explain a lot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but Spencer should have been maintaining the Brains trio even as a fake alliance to keep Kass and Tasha comfortable. That was the entire idea behind the Spencer/J'tia vote, that Kass and Tasha were afraid Spencer was going to flip on them. If he did and didn't do a good job hiding it then that's a major blunder.

Also arguably a case to be made that they should have kept J'tia, as insane as that seems. Spencer apparently did exactly what they were afraid he'd do if they kept him.

Zarrr
Oct 1, 2001

Aerox posted:

In a bunch of Sarah's interviews she claimed that she, Spencer, and Jeremiah had an F3 alliance, and that the majority alliance planned on booting Kass out the moment they had the numbers to. I wouldn't be surprised if Kass caught wind of that at some point, because it would explain a lot.
Still doesn't make sense to flip now. It makes all kinds of sense to use that info to pull in a couple of the other tribe and flip when the time is right, however.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but Spencer should have been maintaining the Brains trio even as a fake alliance to keep Kass and Tasha comfortable. That was the entire idea behind the Spencer/J'tia vote, that Kass and Tasha were afraid Spencer was going to flip on them. If he did and didn't do a good job hiding it then that's a major blunder.

Also arguably a case to be made that they should have kept J'tia, as insane as that seems. Spencer apparently did exactly what they were afraid he'd do if they kept him.
We don't know if he really did have a final three alliance with Sarah and Jeremiah, that may just be something he was telling them to keep them tight. In any case, he didn't actually flip and screw them, it was Chaos Kass who flipped, which makes the entire discussion about whether J'Tia or Spencer is more trustworthy kind of funny in hindsight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was just working on the idea of Sarah telling the truth. Obviously we'll know more when Jeremiah or Spencer start talking, or even Kass or Tasha.

Trust me, I'm not defending Kass. I'm just saying that IF what Sarah says is true and contributed to Kass' flip then it looks like a bad game move for Spencer considering he spent an entire Tribal Council hearing how much Tasha and Kass were afraid he'd betray them. Even if the Sarah/Jeremiah thing were fake, if it spooked Kass then it was a misplay because he had every reason to know how paranoid she was and that she wasn't afraid to flip. But a lot of "ifs" because we only have one side of the story.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

STAC Goat posted:

I was just working on the idea of Sarah telling the truth. Obviously we'll know more when Jeremiah or Spencer start talking, or even Kass or Tasha.

Trust me, I'm not defending Kass. I'm just saying that IF what Sarah says is true and contributed to Kass' flip then it looks like a bad game move for Spencer considering he spent an entire Tribal Council hearing how much Tasha and Kass were afraid he'd betray them. Even if the Sarah/Jeremiah thing were fake, if it spooked Kass then it was a misplay because he had every reason to know how paranoid she was and that she wasn't afraid to flip. But a lot of "ifs" because we only have one side of the story.

I really think you are just looking for ways to hate one Spencer now. We don't know how J'Tia would have interacted with her new tribe or if she would have stayed loyal at all. We don't know what alliances Kass had inside the 6 either. All we know is Kass flipped and we don't necessarily know why outside of #ChaosKass. In fact the edit places the blame on Latasha more than anyone.

Reminds me of last season when I was lurking this thread and you found every little minute thing you could to point out what Cochran was doing wrong and the opportunities he missed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think you're reading way more into what I said. I don't hate Spencer. I've said this before, I just don't love him or am impressed by him. Its a space between love and hate called apathy. If he made a bad game move that's all it is. And as I said, we have no idea if he did. IF. IF Sarah's claim is true and IF it contributed to Kass flipping THEN Spencer made a mistake. I was just taking the piece of information Aerox gave us as a possible reason why Kass did what she did and commenting on it. But as I said its a small piece of the puzzle and its impossible to draw out the whole story from that.

And I never meant to assume what J'Tia would or wouldn't have done. For all we know trading Spencer for J'Tia would have changed the outcome of that challenge and the sides would be completely reversed with Cliff and Lindsay still in this game. For all we know J'Tia would have picked a different color, breaking up the way they were picked and the tribes would be completely different. Who knows? I was just pointing out that the entire "Spencer vs. J'Tia" debate was over them worrying that Spencer would flip on them, so IF he did then you have to consider how paranoid Kass and Tasha may be about it or how Spencer should have covered it.

I didn't really hate Cochran either, although something about his personality rubbed me wrong. Its just that like with Spencer here there's a big fan following in this thread that I tend to question or counter and I think both sides tend to get defensive about it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kass going next... The schadenfreude, I can taste it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't hate Spencer.

I didn't really hate Cochran either

This would be more believable if half your posts weren't about that exact topic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said, I just think its that they both have big fanbases in here and both sides (which includes me) tend to get a little defensive.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
You do tend to get a bit of a hate-boner for certain players and twist everything they say/do in the worst possible light. Cochran from last season, Spencer from this one, Kenny from BB Canada.

Not that I'm one to judge, I'm the same way with players like Sandra from Survivor or Jeff Schroder from BBUS. I don't think anybody is capable of being truly objective about these sorts of shows.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

BGrifter posted:

You do tend to get a bit of a hate-boner for certain players and twist everything they say/do in the worst possible light. Cochran from last season, Spencer from this one, Kenny from BB Canada.

Not that I'm one to judge, I'm the same way with players like Sandra from Survivor or Jeff Schroder from BBUS. I don't think anybody is capable of being truly objective about these sorts of shows.

I think I'm completely objective when I say that Skinny Ryan is the greatest Survivor ever, just because he listed "Atom and His Package" as his favorite music.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BGrifter posted:

I don't think anybody is capable of being truly objective about these sorts of shows.

Yeah, I'm not above bias. I have mine.

I'm just saying, I literally don't hate Spencer. I have nothing against the dude. I think the same of him I think of half the people on the show. There's just no real Tasha fanbase to speak of for me to argue with. In the end I'm probably just an argumentative bastard.

Edit: Now BBCan Kenny? I hate that guy. At least as much as I can hate a douche on the tv/Internet.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 8, 2014

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm not above bias. I have mine.

I'm just saying, I literally don't hate Spencer. I have nothing against the dude. I think the same of him I think of half the people on the show. There's just no real Tasha fanbase to speak of for me to argue with. In the end I'm probably just an argumentative bastard.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say you hated Spencer just that I thought you were nit picking to hate on him. I don't particularly like Cochran either just noticed a trend. If I posted more I'd probably be the same way with LJ this season or Aras last season.

edit: I'm also biased for Spencer this season since he knocked my socks off. I was expecting him to come in as a smug unaware nerd who was going to be an early boot. He seems to be surprisingly likable. When I do a 180 on someone I tend to love them a little to much. Tony and Trish are two other examples this season. Jeremiah has the potential to be one as well.

Kin33 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 8, 2014

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Cochran blindsiding Andrea and Brenda back-to-back, by far the two biggest threats to win the game at that point, is 10x the move than Spencer seems to have in him.

Granted, that was his biggest move and was at the end of his second season. Basically what I'm saying is Spencer only has about a season and a half left to shape up or ship out. :colbert:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mancalamania posted:

Cochran blindsiding Andrea and Brenda back-to-back, by far the two biggest threats to win the game at that point, is 10x the move than Spencer seems to have in him.

Granted, that was his biggest move and was at the end of his second season. Basically what I'm saying is Spencer only has about a season and a half left to shape up or ship out. :colbert:

Maybe we'll have to wait to see what Spencer does in his 2nd season as well then?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe we'll have to wait to see what Spencer does in his 2nd season as well then?

I guess so. Jeff said he has a 0.0% chance of winning.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The smart people almost have to get together and vote Kass next just to remove that massive disturbance from the game.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

Doesn't Jeff do those cast assessments before the season films?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Jeff also thinks that Redemption Island and the Tyler Perry idol are good ideas. I put little stock in what Jeff thinks.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Lone Goat posted:

Jeff also thinks that Redemption Island and the Tyler Perry idol are good ideas. I put little stock in what Jeff thinks.

“I would hope we never do All-Stars again, because Survivor is a game about strangers living together. Once they have had that experience and have spent time together socially, it’s a completely different game. It’s stunt casting.” -Jeff Probst 2005

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah, that drat Jeff Probst, selling out his artistic vision for a competitive reality show

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

blue squares posted:

Yeah, that drat Jeff Probst, selling out his artistic vision for a competitive reality show

How dare the executive producer have an opinion of the show. Lynch him immediately.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

I'm a goon who unashamedly roots for the gooniest player every season. And Spencer is goony as gently caress. That being said, I like Tasha a lot. She's smart and capable and playing a good game, she's just not particularly charismatic compared to most of the people out there.

Low key rooting for LJ too, he just happens to be in the opposing alliance right now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Probst has lots of weird ideas. He genuinely believes Fiji is the worst season of all time, worse than Nicaragua or One World. His RHAP interview was well worth a listen though, he had some really interesting moments in it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
One of Probst's issues is that he clearly prefers male winners to female winners, hence why, IIRC, he considers Tocantins one of the best seasons (not that it isn't, of course). It seemed like he was sort of unhappy when Denise won Philippines; probably wanted Scoopin to win, lol (although Denise was definitely the most deserving of the final three that season, and had a fantastic FTC).
Also sometimes he steers tribal councils because he doesn't like a certain player and/or thinks the tribe would be stronger without them. Which is silly, because it's way more entertaining when a tribe ousts its best people first. Sometimes I think Probst forgets it's entertainment and takes it really seriously as a game. :lol:

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Watching Gabon right now and GC just pretty much quit. The quitters often are saying how they are quitting because they just want to be home and see their family and friends or whatever - but don't they just go to the same place as all the other pre-jury vote outs and hang out til the taping ends so they don't actually get to see their family earlier?

Or am I mistaken and they actually let people that quit go home? Figure there may be exceptions like Jenna quitting to see her dying mom but what about standard quits like GC or say Fairplay quitting on day 3 cause he wanted to see his new daughter? I know I saw pictures last season of Colton chilling with Rachel and Marissa somewhere after he quit.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I always thought pre-jury vote-outs went home because there would be no reason to keep them around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarryEyed
Oct 5, 2006

LegoMan posted:

I always thought pre-jury vote-outs went home because there would be no reason to keep them around.

I thought pre-jury vote outs were still sequestered, just not at ponderosa to avoid spoilers.

• Locked thread