Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Seriously though, does anyone know if disk wars is subbed anywhere, or if it is even being worked on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Seriously though, does anyone know if disk wars is subbed anywhere, or if it is even being worked on?

Just watch it raw, you literally miss no information even without comprehending Japanese.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
anidb doesn't have anyone listed as subbing it, so I'm gonna go with no so far.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Blhue posted:

anidb doesn't have anyone listed as subbing it, so I'm gonna go with no so far.

This is the biggest tragedy of the season.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jojo's: Stardust Crusaders - Looks great, has a step up in animation, and is a faithful adaptation of my favorite part of Jojo. Nothing to complain about here, except that the OP isn't here yet.

Mushi-shi
- It's more Mushi-shi. Like, it literally feels like they just kept making it but forgot to air it for eight years. Still as chill as ever.

One Week Friends
- A bit of a cliche (or rather, directly stolen from Adam Sandler) and unrealistic premise, but gently caress it, it hit in my moe strike zone for some reason. I'll give it a few more episodes.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou - Kind of slow to start, but I'll give it a three episode test to see if the comedy holds up a bit better once it's settled into form.

Kenzen Robo Daimidaler - The writing is terrible, the art is crap, the MC is literally a sex offender, and the mecha design is so lazy I would swear they were doing it ironically, except they somehow seem to be trying to play it off with a straight face. I don't know what to think. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen, but oddly amusing in how dumb it is.

Avengers Disc Wars - Did I say Kenzen Robo was the the stupidest thing I've ever seen? I take it back. It only really takes one look to see all the reasons this is terrible. What's weird is how they have just enough minor characters namedropped to make you think that there's a Marvel fan somewhere on staff putting these things forward, but he wasn't able to stop the rest of it. Maybe they just had one guy consulting wikipedia and describing characters to the artists without letting them see pictures?

-I had to pause at this point because Dr. Strange appeared and I was laughing too hard to type.

I heard a rumor that the reason they didn't include Ant-Man is because they were worried about concerns over his having beat his wife 30 years ago. Personally I'm more concerned about the fact that Tony Stark doesn't have a moustache. That's criminal.

But seriously, if ever there was an example of "so bad it's good", this is it.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Bakanogami posted:

Avengers Disc Wars - Did I say Kenzen Robo was the the stupidest thing I've ever seen? I take it back. It only really takes one look to see all the reasons this is terrible. What's weird is how they have just enough minor characters namedropped to make you think that there's a Marvel fan somewhere on staff putting these things forward, but he wasn't able to stop the rest of it. Maybe they just had one guy consulting wikipedia and describing characters to the artists without letting them see pictures?

-I had to pause at this point because Dr. Strange appeared and I was laughing too hard to type.
I'm sorry, but while that was pretty worthy of uncontrollable laughter, I was laughing even more at Kun-Lun Power Armor Iron Fist and the Special Guest Appearance of Cyclops and Beast. It truly is a crime that A) this isn't being subbed just because of how ridiculous everything is, and B) that Stark is missing his mustache.

I am probably going to watch it, even unsubbed, just to see how ridiculous things really get, and to find prime avatar material to throw at random BSS goons. I mean, Hulk alone is probably going to be a gold mine! :v:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The writer for Disk Wars is someone named キング・リュウ which is probably King Liu or something similar. There's absolutely no information about this person and he's never done anything anime-related before.

Your theory may be correct.

In happier news, Trigger has begun work on LWA2.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2/posts/803825

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Akuma no Riddle - Watching this I realized that schoolgirl assassins is starting to feel pretty played-out to me. Otherwise it seems pretty ok. It'll take a few episodes to really get a read on, though.

Gokukoku no Bryhildr - Stop me if you've heard this one. Bland protagonist. Separated from childhood friend. Mysterious transfer student with magical... zzzz. The story might have a little potential, but with everything else being so painfully generic my hopes aren't very high that this will amount to anything.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou - Typical, but slightly below-average, guy goes to dorm with weird people anime. I would be willing to bet this turns out to be the kind of show that never really offends you enough to quit watching. But then, after a year or so someone will mention it and you'll think "Oh yeah, that show did exist, I completely forgot about it" and then completely forget about it again.

Isshukan Friends - Requires a lot of suspension of disbelief to accept its premise. There's a lot of real simple solutions like "keep a notebook" or "tell my friends so they can help me out" that seem like they would make the girl's life a lot easier. And I'm also not sure how this premise is going to fill an entire season. Doesn't seem like a bad show but it could easily get old quick.

Kindaichi Case Files R - At this point seems to be basically inferior in every single way to Detective Conan, or even QED. The main character is boring and the only indication he's anything else is two characters standing around talking about how super-smart he is, because we all know that venerable storytelling rule tell don't show. The female lead focuses every ounce of her attention on the boring main character and doesn't seem to have any outside interests or concerns. And then she immediately gets kidnapped. Which is exciting and fresh. Maybe the mysteries are really good? I don't know because they didn't quite get to that in the first episode. Overall not an auspicious start.

Keroro - At three minutes a pop and considering the length of the manga this show might be done in time to avoid the heat death of the universe. But I wouldn't count on it. Seriously, it's like one joke per episode.

Captain Earth - Can't really say much based on the first episode. It was a blur of jargon and mysterious characters and giant robot launch sequences. I want to say that Star Driver had a more engaging first episode, but it's been awhile since I saw it so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Before anyone gets their hopes up about Gokukoku no Brynhildr, this is a public service announcement to say that the mangaka's previous work Nononono contains stuff that's highly disturbing. No idea how this new one will turn out, but you have been warned.

Edit: Realized that the linked stuff may be way too inappropriate.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 8, 2014

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

darkgray posted:

:nws:[url=]Nononono[/url]:nws:.

Yeah, that was my reaction too. :rimshot:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 8, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:barf::barf::barf:Avoid Black Bullet:barf::barf::barf: It's bad in general and then it gets to the pedo stuff. Fans of Zeveda last season can now say "at least our show isn't as gross as Black Bullet".

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

The Devil Tesla posted:

:barf::barf::barf:Avoid Black Bullet:barf::barf::barf: It's bad in general and then it gets to the pedo stuff. Fans of Zeveda last season can now say "at least our show isn't as gross as Black Bullet".

Along with also being a pretty good show in its own right, Zvezda was actually pretty low in objectionable content.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

So you're saying... I dodged a bullet by avoiding that show?

And yeah Zeveda was a solid show and I hope for S2

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Joshlemagne posted:

Captain Earth - Can't really say much based on the first episode. It was a blur of jargon and mysterious characters and giant robot launch sequences. I want to say that Star Driver had a more engaging first episode, but it's been awhile since I saw it so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

You're not remembering wrong. Star Driver's first episode is perhaps the best first episode of any anime ever. Captain Earth's was solid, but nowhere near as fabulous.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Mahou Shoujo Taisen somehow managed to be even less memorable than Hokago no Pleiades, which is quite an achievement. Lo how the mighty are fallen.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

The Devil Tesla posted:

Basically the show is that Machine Doll show from a couple seasons back, except Yaya is replaced by an elementary school girl who has almost the same personality.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Bakanogami posted:

Kenzen Robo Daimidaler - The writing is terrible, the art is crap, the MC is literally a sex offender, and the mecha design is so lazy I would swear they were doing it ironically, except they somehow seem to be trying to play it off with a straight face. I don't know what to think. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen, but oddly amusing in how dumb it is.
It's the seasonal Youko Hikasa tits show, I doubt they're even trying anymore.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Largepotato posted:

It's the seasonal Youko Hikasa tits show, I doubt they're even trying anymore.

I'm somewhat sad and bemused that instead of “What are you talking about, my fellow goon?”, my initial thought was “When are we going to get another Emi Yusa or Yassan?”

The capriciousness of the wind, I suppose. :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So is there some kind of story behind Majin Bone? I find it difficult to believe that it was produced in 2014.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Wark Say posted:

I'm somewhat sad and bemused that instead of “What are you talking about, my fellow goon?”, my initial thought was “When are we going to get another Emi Yusa or Yassan?”

The capriciousness of the wind, I suppose. :(

Now I'm sad we don't have Hataraku Maou-sama season 2 yet.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Serious Frolicking posted:

So is there some kind of story behind Majin Bone? I find it difficult to believe that it was produced in 2014.

Toei is working on a whole lot of shows this season, and it's obvious that their animators are stretched thin. All their shows look worse than usual and Majin Bone is probably the least important to them. I haven't bothered to check but the staff is probably pretty good and could make something better, but since they're trying to get it done as quickly and cheaply as possible it ends up lovely.

Honestly, I'm enjoying the barely animated stuff Toei is putting out this season as it's kind of charming.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 8, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Toei is working on a whole lot of shows this season, and it's obvious that their animators are stretched thin. All their shows look worse than usual and Majin Bone is probably the least important to them. I haven't bothered to check but the staff is probably pretty good and could make something better, but since they're trying to get it done as quickly and cheaply as possible it ends up lovely.

Honestly, I'm enjoying the barely animated stuff Toei is putting out this season as it's kind of charming.

The director is really good, can't say much about everyone else.

The first episode of Majin Bone actually had decent character animation in the 2D parts and looked quite fine, the CG just looks super out of place and cheap because well, its CG. I didn't watch episode 2.

The most well produced episode 1 of Toei's 4 new shows is the Sumo one.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Hahaha Black Bullet is like really terrible Gunslinger Girl fanfiction. "What if the girls were alien/human hybrids instead of cyborgs?! What if the cold, calculating adult handlers were replaced with an angsty teenage straight-man?! What if they fought giant alien bugs instead of terrorists? What if instead of sobering introspection, we made it a wacky action-comedy?! Yeah, yeah! That's way better!!"

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

darkgray posted:

Before anyone gets their hopes up about Gokukoku no Brynhildr, this is a public service announcement to say that the mangaka's previous work Nononono contains stuff that's highly disturbing. No idea how this new one will turn out, but you have been warned.

That's unfortunate to hear. I rather liked the first episode of Bynhildr. The main character actually rationalizes his situation and thinks for himself. Here's hoping subsequent episodes don't slide down the creepy road.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Revolver Bunker posted:

That's unfortunate to hear. I rather liked the first episode of Bynhildr. The main character actually rationalizes his situation and thinks for himself. Here's hoping subsequent episodes don't slide down the creepy road.

Having read what's been translated of Byrnhildr's manga, it doesn't really get creepy. There's fanservice, and it develops some harem aspects, but if there was any rapey poo poo I don't remember it.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

darkgray posted:

Looked up that manga to see how bad it was and I was actually surprised by how good the first 15 chapters or so were. Then...really super-creepy attempted rape out of nowhere that served no purpose. And as an added bonus, it was also incredibly homophobic.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Great Rumbler posted:

Looked up that manga to see how bad it was and I was actually surprised by how good the first 15 chapters or so were. Then...really super-creepy attempted rape out of nowhere that served no purpose. And as an added bonus, it was also incredibly homophobic.

Yeah, I read a few volumes because I've had a thing for ski jumping ever since I discovered Funaki Kazuyoshi back in the '90s, so I had to check out this new ski jumping manga. Only, well, it turned into something very different, so I gave up. And the first rape attempt is really mild in comparison to the poo poo that comes up later. Ironically, I wasn't even aware of it until I googled the title a couple of days ago when trying to explain to a friend how Brynhildr might take a turn for the worse eventually, with an example image. Oh well. I'm not even sure chapter 89 is legal in most Western countries.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Redcrimson posted:

Hahaha Black Bullet is like really terrible Gunslinger Girl fanfiction. "What if the girls were alien/human hybrids instead of cyborgs?! What if the cold, calculating adult handlers were replaced with an angsty teenage straight-man?! What if they fought giant alien bugs instead of terrorists? What if instead of sobering introspection, we made it a wacky action-comedy?! Yeah, yeah! That's way better!!"

It's like anime madlibs.

What if the girls were _NOUN_, who are controlled by _EMOTION_ _NOUNS_ fighting against evil _NOUNS_ while attending high school!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Daedalus1134 posted:

It's like anime madlibs.

What if the girls were _NOUN_, who are controlled by _EMOTION_ _NOUNS_ fighting against evil _NOUNS_ while attending high school!

There should be a game where you make up LN titles

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Daedalus1134 posted:

It's like anime madlibs.

What if the girls were CLOWNS, who are controlled by LACKSIDASICAL RAGAMUFFINS fighting against evil BORDER PATROL AGENTS while attending high school!

I'm just surprised Japan hasn't discovered more ways to break the mold without actually, you know, breaking the mold.

I mean, you have the potential for a million great stories even with the High school setting and the unavoidable animeisms that go along with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One of the only high school series I would be super happy to see is one set in the Hero Academy from that one episode of Tiger & Bunny.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

One of the only high school series I would be super happy to see is one set in the Hero Academy from that one episode of Tiger & Bunny.

Hopefully starring the super-sweating-power guy.

Speaking of spin-offs, Soul Eater Not sure is a Soul Eater thing. That somehow manages to have more yuri undertones than the actual yuri anime of the season. Also, for some reason taking the old cast out of the original artstyle lands them right in the uncanny valley for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Redcrimson posted:

Soul Eater Not sure is a Soul Eater thing.

No, it's Not.

Seriously though, the artstyle shift is pretty shocking, but I think I can get used to it. I really like the idea of a low key worldbuilding spin-off (I've heard someone say that "we learn more about the world in 5 minutes than we learned in 50 episodes of the original"), but quite frankly Soul Eater is a pretty bizarre series to apply that to. On account of it's bizarreness.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Checked out Mangaka and Assistants on CR and holy hell that poo poo was godawful and the main character is probably one of the creepiest characters I ever watched in anime (granted I don't watch a whole lot outside the noticeably quality shows)

The episodes appear to be 13ish minutes long and broken up into several couple minute bits. In the first episode the main character:Gets his assistant to grope her breast to use a reference for a panel (despite outright admitting there was a little ulterior motive involved) who then grabs one of her breasts anyway; he tells his editor that if you are dating a girl she is supposed to show her panties to you on demand and have her breasts be fondled whenever you feel like; he gets into a author crisis about how to draw panties on women (he almost gets it right by realizing he shouldn't be drawing panties at all, but then gets depressed because drat it he loves drawing panties); finally he goes and buys poo poo tons of womens underwear to use as reference and tells people he is buying them as a gift for someone. There really isn't anything redeeming about the show.

I wanted to watch more shows this season other than Jojo's and Captain Earth but drat it Japan you aren't helping me one bit :mad:

bondster fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 9, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

bondster posted:

Checked out Mangaka and Assistants on CR and holy hell that poo poo was godawful and the main character is probably one of the creepiest characters I ever watched in anime (granted I don't watch a whole lot outside the noticeably quality shows)

The episodes appear to be 13ish minutes long and broken up into several couple minute bits. In the first episode the main character:Gets his assistant to grope her breast to use a reference for a panel (despite outright admitting there was a little ulterior motive involved) who then grabs one of her breasts anyway; he tells his editor that if you are dating a girl she is supposed to show her panties to you on demand and have her breasts be fondled whenever you feel like; he gets into a author crisis about how to draw panties on women (he almost gets it right by realizing he shouldn't be drawing panties at all, but then gets depressed because drat it he loves drawing panties); finally he goes and buys poo poo tons of womens underwear to use as reference and tells people he is buying them as a gift for someone. There really isn't anything redeeming about the show.

I wanted to watch more shows this season other than Jojo's and Captain Earth but drat it Japan you aren't helping me one bit :mad:

I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it sound, because it's pretty clear that the show is laughing at him and not sympathizing with him, but unfortunately that doesn't make it funny, or not horrible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Redcrimson posted:

Hopefully starring the super-sweating-power guy.

Speaking of spin-offs, Soul Eater Not sure is a Soul Eater thing. That somehow manages to have more yuri undertones than the actual yuri anime of the season. Also, for some reason taking the old cast out of the original artstyle lands them right in the uncanny valley for me.

Oh, that's out. Doesn't seem to be subbed yet, though. I'm surprised Funimation didn't pick it up, considering they licensed the original. But yeah, I actually really like a lot of the concepts Soul Eater presented, so I'm open to world building.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Daedalus1134 posted:

It's like anime madlibs.

What if the girls were RIOT POLICE who are controlled by ANGRY RUSSIANS fighting against evil PROTESTING COLLEGE STUDENTS while attending high school!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, that's out. Doesn't seem to be subbed yet, though. I'm surprised Funimation didn't pick it up, considering they licensed the original. But yeah, I actually really like a lot of the concepts Soul Eater presented, so I'm open to world building.

Funimation is simulcasting it on their website. The sub came out about 8 hours ago.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm surprised Funimation didn't pick it up, considering they licensed the original.

They did, actually. The simulcast is only available to subscribers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

bondster posted:

Watch Mushishi. It's just as good as the original series that aired 8 years ago and starts off with a really good introductory episode.

• Locked thread