Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I would really like some kind of animated adaptation of something besides Golden Age. The first episode of the TV show was the best thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

notZaar posted:

I would really like some kind of animated adaptation of something besides Golden Age. The first episode of the TV show was the best thing about it.

Agreed. I'd prefer if they didn't butcher it to fit into a short play time, however.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I didn't really care for the black swordsman arc at all and was really glad the show shortened it to just one episode. The movies lost alot by not having any of it though since establishing at least in some way just how bad poo poo is going to end up is really important to the tone.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It must have been really hard for you to get into the comic then, seeing as it's the first 5 books or so. Frankly it's why I got into Berserk in the first place.

edit: I mean the comic books, not the collected volumes. I guess it's probably more than five.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 3, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

notZaar posted:

It must have been really hard for you to get into the comic then, seeing as it's the first 5 books or so. Frankly it's why I got into Berserk in the first place.

First two and a half books.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

notZaar posted:

edit: I mean the comic books, not the collected volumes. I guess it's probably more than five.

I watched the anime before reading the comics. I share his sentiment. The Black Swordsman episode almost turned me off because it just seemed like more useless "grimdark" stuff - you need the flashback to set the tone that it's not just random ultra-violence. If I had read the manga first, I may not have made it to the Band of the Hawk.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Black Swordsman rules because it adds this sense of foreboding to the Golden Age, like yeah things aren't awful now, but we've seen where this ends and it's loving horrific.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Darko posted:

I watched the anime before reading the comics. I share his sentiment. The Black Swordsman episode almost turned me off because it just seemed like more useless "grimdark" stuff - you need the flashback to set the tone that it's not just random ultra-violence. If I had read the manga first, I may not have made it to the Band of the Hawk.

I watched the anime before the manga too. When it transitioned from Guts slaughtering the snake baron into mercenary battles I was somewhat disappointed. I'd still love to see the slug count get cut to pieces in full animation someday.

That being said, Berserk really is a series where you need to read the entire thing to have full appreciation for each arc. They get woven together so well. For example, when Guts and Godo talk before Guts goes off to find Casca, it really helps put into perspective why Guts acted like he did during the black swordsman arc.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well this is funny.

I saw only the first 2 maybe 3 eps some time ago and was totally blown away by the awesome brutality of the first ep, then almost completely let down by this weird flashback that followed.

What was this brat doing with a normal-sized sword and where did the :black101: go?

It wasn't until a few years later that I started looking for fan translations of the manga when someone on some IRC server/channel I can't recall anymore mentioned the show or linked to a clip of it. Encodes of fansubs were still rare at the time I first came across those episodes and comic scans had just really caught on around that second encounter.

You kids and your easy access to this poo poo; you have no idea :corsair:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Berserk was licensed both manga by dark horse and the anime :psyduck: Unless you are very very very old, it should have been very easy to come by.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

DamnGlitch posted:

Berserk was licensed both manga by dark horse and the anime :psyduck: Unless you are very very very old, it should have been very easy to come by.

I wasn't aware 12-13 years ago counts as "very, very, very, very old".

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

I wasn't aware 12-13 years ago counts as "very, very, very, very old".

Well considering the us full series boxset was out in 2003...

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Back in my day you had to do with whatever VHSs the local library stocked. drat kids with your gadgets.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I feel the manga would have been better if it started with the Golden Age, the BS arc is really weird with how it characterizes Guts and outright showing Griffith as Femto was a poor choice. I'd be fine if the movies (or new show, or whatever they do to follow up from here) cut all that stuff with the Count, though they should still have the Baron because Puck's important (and they can just get a Behelit from the Baron instead).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rodyle posted:

I feel the manga would have been better if it started with the Golden Age, the BS arc is really weird with how it characterizes Guts and outright showing Griffith as Femto was a poor choice. I'd be fine if the movies (or new show, or whatever they do to follow up from here) cut all that stuff with the Count, though they should still have the Baron because Puck's important (and they can just get a Behelit from the Baron instead).

What? No. The BS is a huge hook that makes the Golden Age stuff better. Because you know that some ridiculous heavy poo poo is going to happen and the expectation adds a lot to the story. Having it done otherwise would create the kind of whiplash that lots of viewers had with the tv series (which omitted a lot of important stuff and did a very poor transition. But even in the manga, where people already knew about Femto, Miura did his best to prepare them with Wyald & other gradual stuff).

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

trucutru posted:

What? No. The BS is a huge hook that makes the Golden Age stuff better. Because you know that some ridiculous heavy poo poo is going to happen and the expectation adds a lot to the story. Having it done otherwise would create the kind of whiplash that lots of viewers had with the tv series (which omitted a lot of important stuff and did a very poor transition. But even in the manga, where people already knew about Femto, Miura did his best to prepare them with Wyald & other gradual stuff).

Agree with this. I watched the original anime series without having read the manga at all and the eclipse caught me completely off guard and made me wonder what the gently caress was going on. Then when I read the manga and saw that it started with the BS arc and the golden age stuff was like a flashback, it all made much more sense.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

flowinprose posted:

Agree with this. I watched the original anime series without having read the manga at all and the eclipse caught me completely off guard and made me wonder what the gently caress was going on. Then when I read the manga and saw that it started with the BS arc and the golden age stuff was like a flashback, it all made much more sense.

trucutru posted:

I've never watched the anime in its entirety (just saw the abridged series a long time ago and have rewatched the Outtakes a billion times) and I know it stupidly cuts important stuff like Skull Knight (Wyald isn't important though) but doesn't it start off with the first episode being the Baron story, and thus the Golden Age stuff is still obviously a flashback? And you don't need any of the Count stuff to show there's a supernatural element in the series, Zodd, the Apostles eating the injured hawks, Griffith wearing necklace that's loving alive, Judeau's talk of elves and possession of Puck's dust, that's what that all exists for.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Rodyle posted:

I've never watched the anime in its entirety (just saw the abridged series a long time ago and have rewatched the Outtakes a billion times) and I know it stupidly cuts important stuff like Skull Knight (Wyald isn't important though) but doesn't it start off with the first episode being the Baron story, and thus the Golden Age stuff is still obviously a flashback? And you don't need any of the Count stuff to show there's a supernatural element in the series, Zodd, the Apostles eating the injured hawks, Griffith wearing necklace that's loving alive, Judeau's talk of elves and possession of Puck's dust, that's what that all exists for.

It's been a long time since I watched it, so I don't remember exactly how clear it was that most of it was a flashback. I just remember it being pretty confusing that there were suddenly demons everywhere raping and slaughtering everyone.

Edit: hmm going back and reading a synopsis of it, I think the first time I watched the anime, I might not have seen the first episode...

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 8, 2014

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The show definitely cuts out some of the foreshadowing but i never felt like it made the eclipse come out of nowhere, all the important pieces are still there. The only major mistake the show made was killing rickert and not introducing skull knight, although if the show had really wanted to continue they could have just had saving guts be skull knights first appearance and it would have only seemed like a slight asspull in the grand scheme.

edit: i dont remember how explicitly they kill rickert but they could probably have retconned that too.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 8, 2014

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

flowinprose posted:

It's been a long time since I watched it, so I don't remember exactly how clear it was that most of it was a flashback. I just remember it being pretty confusing that there were suddenly demons everywhere raping and slaughtering everyone.

Edit: hmm going back and reading a synopsis of it, I think the first time I watched the anime, I might not have seen the first episode...

Well then that was the problem. The first episode is a slice of Black Swordsman, and it clearly transitions into a flashback at the end. Although when I first started watching it I never anticipated the flashback would span the ENTIRE SERIES.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

edit: i dont remember how explicitly they kill rickert but they could probably have retconned that too.

They don't, technically. It's just so strongly implied since he never is shown again that the only logical assumption the viewer can make is that he was subsequently eaten.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zogundar posted:

They don't, technically. It's just so strongly implied since he never is shown again that the only logical assumption the viewer can make is that he was subsequently eaten.

He was the only named Band of the Hawks character that doesn't get eaten on-screen, which pretty much implies that he survived. There's certainly nothing about the scene which would make 'retconning' him to be alive necessary.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

He was the only named Band of the Hawks character that doesn't get eaten on-screen, which pretty much implies that he survived. There's certainly nothing about the scene which would make 'retconning' him to be alive necessary.

If you want to say the scene doesn't rule out the possibility of making a continuation of the anime where he survives, that's different. It'd be easy enough to throw in a flashback with the Skull Knight and show oh wait he wasn't eaten after all. But given that the anime doesn't bother to show him with Godo or ever again after the Apostles are closing in, if you watch it as a self-contained work I don't know how you'd say "Oh well he must have survived somehow."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

flowinprose posted:

The sheer feeling of shock and betrayal of the Eclipse is the best thing about the TV anime. It's what makes it worth watching despite the barely-there animation and the stuff they left out.

Having just one episode of Black Swordsman was a pretty good way to handle it since it tells you "okay, this isn't the end of the story, at least one person survived" which prompts you to go read the manga, but it's easy to forget about it before the series ends.

edit: also IIRC the anime was cut one episode short and the final episode would have brought things full circle, or at least given us a little more connective tissue than "demon jaws close, everyone dies." On the other hand it might've been less memorable that way.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 8, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Does anyone reading or watching even remember femto / Griffith in the prologue? That was so far out of my head by the time eclipse spun up.

It's really one of those things that pops for you when you go back a second time.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yes? I don't remember exactly if he calls him Griffith by name at the end of Black Swordsman, but the connection is made pretty soon after Golden Age begins and Griffith is introduced. It's basically there in the subtext the whole time, when is the other shoe going to drop and this rear end in a top hat is going to piss off Guts so badly?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

notZaar posted:

Yes? I don't remember exactly if he calls him Griffith by name at the end of Black Swordsman, but the connection is made pretty soon after Golden Age begins and Griffith is introduced. It's basically there in the subtext the whole time, when is the other shoe going to drop and this rear end in a top hat is going to piss off Guts so badly?

I'm just saying I pretty much immediately forgot everything to do with black swordsman until I got to the eclipse. Part of this was because I was consuming it pre internet, so I couldn't barge the whole thing in a few days/weeks and it was literally over the course of a few years between the beginning and when the eclipse happened and it tied together.

I just don't think it ruins anything at all and is a pretty good Tarantino deal.

Honestly it bothers me more that it goes black swords man -> golden age -> the rest of the story. It wouldn't be so bad if the backend hadn't been stretched out over so many years at this point. It's not a let down so much as it doesn't have as clear and strong a momentum. That in ITSELF wouldn't be so bad if it was monthly.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I made an AMV for Berserk. Gotta say, the movies may not have been great but the footage is great for making videos out of. Things actually move unlike in the TV series, and the colors are awesome.
http://youtu.be/PWGO69OhV6g

Edit: Also, here is a preview for the next chapter. And I believe it says the following chapter will be released on May 23rd? Or maybe those numbers mean something else. http://i.imgur.com/Z7jfZ72.jpg

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 10, 2014

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Raws for Berserk 334 have emerged. I can't believe it's been a year...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

"a" year

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
A year and three months.

I don't usually do status updates (because who cares), but I figured this is a special occasion. The translation of #334 is done, high-quality raws have been acquired, typesetting is mostly done, cleaning and redrawing is underway. Give it another couple of days.

#335 will indeed be published on the 23rd of May. I'm probably completely talking out of my rear end here, but I think the last time Miura gave specific dates, spacing the chapters out with a bit more than a month between each (rather than trying to keep up with YA printing every two weeks), he managed to publish fairly consistently for a while. It might've been the recent ("recent") young Guts flashback arc.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Sometimes I forget that Miura actually has a great work ethic and can put out his typical high-quality material at a fairly quick rate. Not that you'd know this fact from his past year of either nothing or loli piss, but still.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Soulcleaver posted:

Sometimes I forget that Miura actually has a great work ethic and can put out his typical high-quality material at a fairly quick rate. Not that you'd know this fact from his past year of either nothing or loli piss, but still.

Well the joke's on you cause according to the previews in this episode you get to see some loli rear end.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Hell yeah Luka is back :woop:

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 11, 2014

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
300 chapters later, TL note: Hawk means Falcon. Language ambiguities :argh:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
And here's the chapter, 334.

Coming back from a 15-month absence, it's now or never to get hawk/falcon right.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Am I dreaming? I don't want to wake up if it is. Great chapter!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Yay it's back. And while good it's sooooo short. Plus no elf island.

At least Luca's back!

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Can someone remind me how much Rickert really knows about what Griffith has done.
Did guts tell him anything last time they met?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

GoldenPrice posted:

Can someone remind me how much Rickert really knows about what Griffith has done.
Did guts tell him anything last time they met?

If I remember correctly, he knows Griffith did something very bad and is probably responsible for all his friends dieing, but Gut's refused to go into any detail as to what exactly happened.