Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Slightly better than what I saw people guessing at. *looks at cmc* Why 5... why? Corner case on the Dictate of Kruphix, it says draw step instead of upkeep so you can flash it in on your turn to draw two?

Korak fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent
Jun 17, 2005

I was not programmed for friendship.
Nap Ghost

The Modern Howling Mine/Time Warp deck will be so happy.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Korak posted:

Slightly better than what I saw people guessing at. *looks at cmc* Why 5... why?

That thing is insane fyi

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

All of these are great, from the art to the effect.

A little disappointing in terms of the specific effect, but certainly not bad.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Keranos has got to be in the top tier of gods, better than xenagos, probably better than ephara. It's either card advantage through drawing, card advantage through removing threats or a clock. I suppose it doesn't deal with DD, polukranos or courser though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

As far as turbo effects go, this one is pretty good, but turbofog would not fare well in the current standard.

I want to believe in turbo fog.

e: also this cycle looks super cool. Take an already good ability and make it better by giving it flash. Loads of fun.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 8, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Yet Iroas gets two abilities.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

:getin: my Nin, the Pain Artist EDH!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
All four of those are cool. I'm really curious to see what the rest of the Dictate cycle is like, being able to flash them out to get some sort of initial asymmetry is a neat idea.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Korak posted:

Corner case on the Dictate of Kruphix, it says draw step instead of upkeep so you can flash it in on your turn to draw two?

You do it at the end of your opponents turn almost certainly. The corner case of you and your opponents having a staredown over their cleanup step is pretty rare.

Keranos looks awesome!

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Oh hell yes.

Flash enchants certainly do help Constellation somewhat. Draw two at instant speed, with an extra draw every turn after? Why thank you Blue/Green, I do believe I will.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I guess we'll be seeing a cycle of Dictates, probably. I can't wait :allears:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bugsy posted:

That is two abilities. They're just both tied to the 'reveal your draw' trigger.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Dictate of Kruphix also works with notion thief.deck

Attorney at Funk posted:

That is two abilities. They're just both tied to the 'reveal your draw' trigger.

I call it one based off the reveal. If A do B, if C do D. Iroas has two different abilities.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Bugsy posted:

Keranos has two abilities, though? The blue one - draw off of lands, and the red one - damage off of nonlands.

It's just less direct.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

Keranos has got to be in the top tier of gods, better than xenagos, probably better than ephara. It's either card advantage through drawing, card advantage through removing threats or a clock. I suppose it doesn't deal with DD, polukranos or courser though.

But he will have 6 cmc :v:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bugsy posted:

It's as if there are other metrics to judge a card by other than how many paragraphs are in its text box.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Keranos owns. Card advantage if you hit land, damage advantage if you hit a spell. The cmc is high for u/r but maybe a URw control deck with keranos as a late game win con? Or U/R control/burn with a suite of counterspells and anger the gods/mizz mortars?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ American Control would love it except for the fact Legion does a wonderful job right now of ending the game and controlling the board. It needs to be tested as like a 2 of.

Nemico posted:

You do it at the end of your opponents turn almost certainly. The corner case of you and your opponents having a staredown over their cleanup step is pretty rare.

Keranos looks awesome!
I'm saying you might run into the issue of wanting to hit your land drops or something happened on their turn so you don't have mana. As a late game topdeck I could certainly see if flashed in on upkeep if you've already got plenty of mana but lacking cards. Just thought I'd point out there might be some fun interactions with it due to 'on draw step'.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I'm totally fine with him having one ability vs Iroas' two. You will always be drawing cards in UR any deck, but if you don't have any creatures to attack with Iroas is useless. Granted you should always be swinging in RW, but post-Wrath Iroas can't really help you the same way Keranos will. I hope he doesn't catch on and/or I crack one at the prerelease, because I'd love to have him in my Grixis Control EDH list.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Dungeon Ecology posted:

:getin: my Nin, the Pain Artist EDH!

My Nekusar EDH deck!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Being able to flip a dead land draw into your hand automatically and get a fresh card as well is pretty bonkers and absolutely better than most of the abilities on the gods so far.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Never mind. Heroic is a dumb keyword.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bugsy posted:

Dictate of Kruphix also works with notion thief.deck

I call it one based off the reveal. If A do B, if C do D. Iroas has two different abilities.

Well, I think that's wrong, particularly in the sense of seeing it as a disparity between the two.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Also seems to make scrying a lot better. Being able to do stuff like magma jet and either set up an extra draw or a burn depending on what you need would be really good. More excuses to play prognostic sphinx.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Toshimo posted:

Just remember, if you have a land on top of your deck, you can target your Heroic dudes with Keranos and get the Heroic trigger without shooting them in the face.

"Whenever you cast a spell that targets"

e: also Keranos won't target if you don't hit a nonland. He sets up two triggered abilities that only trigger if their conditions are satisfied.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Keranos is pretty loving sweet if you can reliably draw during your opponent's turn. woops no it doesn't

Also not gonna lie, between that both-players-draw card from yesterday and the Dictate today, I just bought a playset of Notion Thiefs on MTGO.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I'm really happy with Keranos. Setting up burns or draws using scry will be so much fun. UR midrange with Keranos, Stormbreath, Prognostic maybe?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Keranos looks like the stone cold nuts. Yes, he costs 5, but his ability *will* always get you something. I think Iroas will be worse than he initially looked, and Keranos will be better. I mean, I guess turn 5 is pretty slow, but it just oozes value and inevitability.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ok interesting idea for Underworld Coinsmith... 4 of in sideboard of BW to come in to burn out control opponents? If they counter it, no big deal and if they don't you can start whittling them down.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Finally, a use for Strionic Resonator.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Is Keranos worded such that if you draw a card during your opponent's turn you get the reveal trigger? Or is the "your turn" precluding that?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LONG LIVE IZZET COUNTERBURN :fap:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Finally, a use for Strionic Resonator.
Clearly you haven't made an Aurelia/Medomai trigger deck? :D

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Korak posted:

Ok interesting idea for Underworld Coinsmith... 4 of in sideboard of BW to come in to burn out control opponents? If they counter it, no big deal and if they don't you can start whittling them down.

If you're spending life on Thoughtseize and Connections and your opponent is gaining life Sphinx's Rev it probably wouldn't work.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

thats...something all right. huh

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

A big flaming stink posted:

Is Keranos worded such that if you draw a card during your opponent's turn you get the reveal trigger? Or is the "your turn" precluding that?

Well, the opponent's turn is not your turn, so...

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

This has an interesting application for EDH when exiling generals reminding me to read the whole card text before I post. Another target for stonehewer/stoneforge though, so I can't complain.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 8, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

I think that's for the solo deck game thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Since Imgur is being a butthole.

• Locked thread