Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Babby Thatcher posted:

been a regular argument quoted on here from madmen that he's basically exactly as good as Wilfried Bony and any difference in scoring or performance is purely down to their teammates.

They're both black you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

They're both black you see

Haven't you heard he's the new Emile Heskey?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Fat Lowtax posted:

Neil Metcalfe ‏@Metcalficus 13m

Altidore has been just as bad. Small crowd but annoyed at his lack of effort. Has looked totally uninterested #SAFC

:lol:

Such a lazy, thick footballer.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

*peers into the future* The Portland Timbers' newest signing Jozy Altidore sits down with Taylor Twellman and Robbie Rogers for a tell-all interview about his time at the Stadium of Light during ESPN's latest special on discrimination in football. Altidore discusses the abuse he suffered at the hands of his teammates for his nationality, hold-up play and penchant for adult diapers.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ewar Woowar posted:

Not saying this is even a possibility, but I think it'd be great fit. If Everton isn't able to buy Lukaku, they should go after Jozy. Jozy might not be as gifted as Lukaku, but they have similar styles of play (i.e. Big, strong, fast, great hold up play) and the service he'd be receiving at Everton would be leaps and bounds better then what he's getting now. I think Roberto Martinez could get the best out of him.

I love how they only ever compare him to Blacks and somehow they think he's some freak athlete when really he's fat slow and clumsy and sucks dick lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Destroy My Sweater posted:

*peers into the future* The Portland Timbers' newest signing Jozy Altidore sits down with Taylor Twellman and Robbie Rogers for a tell-all interview about his time at the Stadium of Light during ESPN's latest special on discrimination in football. Altidore discusses the abuse he suffered at the hands of his teammates for his nationality, hold-up play and penchant for adult diapers.

Hahaha

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

tetsman posted:

Remember Lee Nguyen? I bet Jozy is even worse than him.

I always wanted him on the WC roster honestly. His kind of control is rare on our squad.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I had a weird dream last night where Jozy scored the winning goal for Chelsea against PSG.

That's probably more likely to happen than Jozy scoring another goal for Sunderland this season.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

quote:

He should of gone to Ajax, Sporting, Porto, Hamburg or even a Valencia. I could see him there

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

MMmmm, I dunno, I see him as a more railhawks, silverbacks, cosmos kinda guy.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

chuggo is BACK posted:

Sunderland AFC ‏@SAFCofficial 5m

UNDER 21s: Development squad 3-0 up at the break against @SpursOfficial - goals from Smith, Mandron and Mavrias.

quote:

Altidore opened up the space for all three goals! Most likely...

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Jozy is a trashbag. The US should inject Geoff Cameron and Brad Guzan with some sort of weird serum and start them up front in Brazil. There's no place for Jozy on The Plane.

this time they'll be looking for two black boxes in the ocean

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

it was a second string Spurs U21 team too because we had a bunch on our bench at the real game

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I think he meant 'I could see him from there'

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Modus Trollens posted:

this time they'll be looking for two black boxes in the ocean

holy poo poo haha

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Sunderland total vs. EPL opposition (league & cups) = 3660 minutes = 38 goals

Altidore on the field:
1969 minutes = 27 goals = 1 goal every 72.93 minutes (or 1.23 goals per 90 minutes)

Altidore not on the field:
1691 minutes = 11 goals = 1 goal every 153.72 minutes (or .56 goals per 90 minutes)

Conclusion: Sunderland score over twice as often with Altidore on the field vs. EPL opponents (2.19 times as often, to be exact). Altidore has been on the field for 22 of the 29 Sunderland goals in league play. They are also 1-5-1 in games he did not play (the 1-0 FA Cup win over Southampton B as the lone victory).

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Pissflaps posted:

Sunderland total vs. EPL opposition (league & cups) = 3660 minutes = 38 goals

Altidore on the field:
1969 minutes = 27 goals = 1 goal every 72.93 minutes (or 1.23 goals per 90 minutes)

Altidore not on the field:
1691 minutes = 11 goals = 1 goal every 153.72 minutes (or .56 goals per 90 minutes)

Conclusion: Sunderland score over twice as often with Altidore on the field vs. EPL opponents (2.19 times as often, to be exact). Altidore has been on the field for 22 of the 29 Sunderland goals in league play. They are also 1-5-1 in games he did not play (the 1-0 FA Cup win over Southampton B as the lone victory).

Frankly, those are some shockingly damning stats. Clearly Sunderland areahahahahaha...Jesus Christ.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

its funny how sunderland fanbois blame an american when their crap team is to blame. no chemistry. no fluidity. sure altidore shares some of the blame but the brunt of the blame comes from the team no knowing how to play as one.

look at altidores hightlights with the NATS. he scores when the team is interested in playing with him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I love how they always point to the USA team, as if the state of defending in their region is anywhere close to the premier league.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

There are certainly plenty of things that Jozy is not doing to make his case, but I feel like I might drop the conspiracy bomb and remain convinced that there are plenty of examples of great American players suffering from biases overseas. It's more common than people really assume, and this goes for any players making international league changes. There are alliances and relationships established in certain places that lend itself to players taking a second thought before a pass is made to the new "______fill in players nation of origin" player. Read about how this has played out time and time again, unless a player is in a team's academy there is this period that other players may have a bias towards certain players. I watch a fair amount of La Liga games and I see Gareth Bale having harder times adjusting and receiving respect versus Neymar with Barcelona. He is a Welsh player playing on a team with mainly Portuguese and Spanish players. Not to mention, players from the British Isles with certain exceptions have had difficulties making success in La Liga, in part because of bias and lack of respect. I think Americans are continuing to have a hard time gaining respect and geling with squads in Europe. All that said, of course Sunderland really sucks! So they are not making it easy to give Jozy an easy environment to succeed.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

The more I hear about Jozy being utter gash the more afraid I am some random Belgian club are going to get him this summer, he's due another rebound season in a poo poo league.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Ewar Woowar posted:

There are certainly plenty of things that Jozy is not doing to make his case, but I feel like I might drop the conspiracy bomb and remain convinced that there are plenty of examples of great American players suffering from biases overseas. It's more common than people really assume, and this goes for any players making international league changes. There are alliances and relationships established in certain places that lend itself to players taking a second thought before a pass is made to the new "______fill in players nation of origin" player. Read about how this has played out time and time again, unless a player is in a team's academy there is this period that other players may have a bias towards certain players. I watch a fair amount of La Liga games and I see Gareth Bale having harder times adjusting and receiving respect versus Neymar with Barcelona. He is a Welsh player playing on a team with mainly Portuguese and Spanish players. Not to mention, players from the British Isles with certain exceptions have had difficulties making success in La Liga, in part because of bias and lack of respect. I think Americans are continuing to have a hard time gaining respect and geling with squads in Europe. All that said, of course Sunderland really sucks! So they are not making it easy to give Jozy an easy environment to succeed.

Bale is basically the Welsh Jozy - a true five tool player

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

belgend posted:

The more I hear about Jozy being utter gash the more afraid I am some random Belgian club are going to get him this summer, he's due another rebound season in a poo poo league.

I hope Legia make a move for him.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

red_blip posted:

MMmmm, I dunno, I see him as a more railhawks, silverbacks, cosmos kinda guy.

Nice casual racism

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The entire purpose of the existence of Sunderland A.F.C. has been building to this moment... the opportunity to "give Jozy an easy environment to succeed"

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
These people are fully mentally ill and don't understand anything at all

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

quote:

Thing with the EPL is that, with all the money, they have a high turnover rate. Which means if a player is not producing in a season, he'll be replaced the next. That amounts to lousy team chemistry for most clubs, so as a league they rely more on the physical, and on individual brilliance. Also, the EPL refs are very lenient, when compared to other leagues, because they know with all their emphasis on the physical, the games would be unwatchable if they were called like in the rest of Europe.

An American player who makes it up the ranks with an EPL team could have a better chance. At least, carefully scouting of the club situation and its manager are needed. The case of Dempsey with Fulham required a very stable situation, with a coach that had been at the helm for four years, and had a solid, high chemistry squad, where two other Americans were also regular starters. In general, I think, as the NT has shown in WCs, the American player can only thrive in a situation where he's part of a true team. He's not the sort of guy who goes for the individual thing.

:staredog:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
And here I thought America was a melting pot made up of rugged individualists who could thrive under any circumstances.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Baldo Di Gregorio posted:

These people are fully mentally ill and don't understand anything at all

They don't care about soccer and I want them to gently caress off and start liking lacrosse or something. It's infuriating.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Taken from my latest catalog from WorldSoccerShop.com, based in USA:

Dempsey is on the front cover and on the inside cover as well as the cover pull out so I guess they couldn't put on the back as well. Had a nice chuckle seeing this after I got my mail.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I wonder what mental gymnastics they'll pull when the US get buttfucked?

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

Paddyb posted:

Nice casual racism

Haha, only NASL teams I could think of, but.. yeah, God I'm such a racist clown.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Just realised Jozy has scored as many goals for Sunderland as Mart Poom. :laugh:

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

serious gaylord posted:

Well, everyone else obviously dopes

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

serious gaylord posted:

It will be Sunderland's fault for "ruining" Jozy and we both know it

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

'We just had a bad group. Germany and Portugal have the best teams in the world. The USMNT has improved a lot over the years and I saw a lot of promise in our game (we made them fight for those points!), but we're not quite on that level yet. If we were in group [whatever], we'd have gone through for sure. The trend is clear, though. I doubt even the Germans could stop us in 2018.'

book it

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Jozy is going to mark Mountinho and Schweinsteiger out of the game - cutting off their distribution and allowing Landon :911: Donavon to score on a counter attack?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
if only the german and portuguese defenders weren't such bullies jozy could have scored 3 clear net-slams, i blame fifa's racist propaganda against americans

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I'd love to read an honest assessment of Jozy from Klinsmann or one of his coaching staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

I'd love to read an honest assessment of Jozy from Klinsmann or one of his coaching staff.

"best we've got"

• Locked thread