Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fetucine posted:

Tomorrow :v:

It's bundled with the LE Blu-ray. It came out on the 2nd in Japan, most of the rest of the world is getting it on the 8th.
Wait... what? Why do I have it already?

Delivery dates are weird, man.

For context, I live in the US and I've had the US LE Blu-ray for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Twiddy posted:

Wait... what? Why do I have it already?

Delivery dates are weird, man.

For context, I live in the US and I've had the US LE Blu-ray for days.
You mean you have the imported release from Aniplex of America. There may be a new domestic edition later. As for release dates, AoA chooses to announce a week later release date to cover in case something happens during material deliveries from Japan and when they plan to ship them to their distributors. The US stores had them in store on April 2nd.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I got the imported LE Blu-ray today.

Right after I remove the plastic wrap from the box, the CD case and material book slide out and fall onto the floor putting a noticeable crease on the spine of both.

:suicide:

In the material book Shinbo talks about wanting to tell the story of everything that happened between the ending of the series and Rebellion.

Edit: There's a whole lot of good stuff in this material book about the movie, specifically about the second half and the ending.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 8, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
You guys are so lucky, my copy won't be here until Friday.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
No cake song on the OST, no buy

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Bakanogami posted:

If you look at it objectively, Rebellion's ending is the heartwarming and conclusive one. Everyone is alive and (theoretically, at least) happy, it's implied that the law of cycles Madoka set up is still active to some extent, Madoka and Homura are together...really, the only thing that indicates it's the "coldest, darkest ending he could think of" is that Homura has a nasty face and is enforcing her will over that of Madoka or Sayaka. I think it's brilliant.

This is not "objectively". It cannot be objectively - because the entire point is the emotional impact, an entirely opposite concept.

Whether they are happy, or if they will be happy in the future, depends on your perspective of the characters. You are implicitly comparing the partial law to the absence of it, but that's not the only possibility. It isn't objective to suggest that a viewer is to be satisfied with just "to some extent" when the previous form of the law was complete by definition.

And more pressing is the philosophical question of "is ignorance bliss?". "Madoka and Homura are together" requires an underlying assumption about identity: do you treat this Madoka as the same as the one from the tv series, given that they do not share a fairly important part of their memories/history?

Let's assume you treat them as the same. Then as stated, Homura is imposing her own will over Madoka's. At worst, this is parasitic. At best, this is a relationship on unequal terms.

If you treat them differently (as I would), it is still inconclusive. At worst, one person is clutching onto remnants of the past. At best, a new friendship between individuals has started.

Emotional resonance depends on values - evaluation of what is good, and comparing it to what is bad. You are comparing the low points of the TV ending to the high points of Rebellion, while ViggyNash below you is comparing the high points of the TV to the low points of Rebellion.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Popehoist posted:

No cake song on the OST, no buy

No joke. When I got to that part, I almost turned the loving movie off.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

The theater was bewildered, to say the least.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

That part was dumb but I really liked how into it Sayaka was.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I'm going to give the movie another chance. Maybe I'll see it in a different light this time. I can always turn it off if I still hate it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

booksnake posted:

This is not "objectively". It cannot be objectively - because the entire point is the emotional impact, an entirely opposite concept.

Whether they are happy, or if they will be happy in the future, depends on your perspective of the characters. You are implicitly comparing the partial law to the absence of it, but that's not the only possibility. It isn't objective to suggest that a viewer is to be satisfied with just "to some extent" when the previous form of the law was complete by definition.

And more pressing is the philosophical question of "is ignorance bliss?". "Madoka and Homura are together" requires an underlying assumption about identity: do you treat this Madoka as the same as the one from the tv series, given that they do not share a fairly important part of their memories/history?

Let's assume you treat them as the same. Then as stated, Homura is imposing her own will over Madoka's. At worst, this is parasitic. At best, this is a relationship on unequal terms.

If you treat them differently (as I would), it is still inconclusive. At worst, one person is clutching onto remnants of the past. At best, a new friendship between individuals has started.

Emotional resonance depends on values - evaluation of what is good, and comparing it to what is bad. You are comparing the low points of the TV ending to the high points of Rebellion, while ViggyNash below you is comparing the high points of the TV to the low points of Rebellion.

Can't argue with that, we were both spouting pretty biased opinions.

That said, the ending definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think less of Urobuchi because that was brilliant ending (and a brilliant movie altogether), but it annoys me that it had to go that way.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

AlternateNu posted:

in retrospect In the new happy world the magical girls are all friends and instead of suicide-causing witches or demons they fight BAD DREAMS and defeat them by singing a loving nursery rhyme. It's like Care Bears or something

I did prefer the fakeout beginning pretending to be such sparkly fun magical girl friends show to the pretend moe anime or whatever that episode one of the original series was. Probably everyone knew it was some kind of fakeout coming in but it was kind of fun in retrospect, especially compared to all the cringeworthy anime humor/lesbian jokes in the original before episode 3's end.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

That said, the ending definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think less of Urobuchi because that was brilliant ending (and a brilliant movie altogether), but it annoys me that it had to go that way.

Shinbou came up with the ending. Urobuchi's original intention was for Homura to be taken to magical girl heaven by Madokami.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah when me and my brother were watching it, he asked me during the cake song if this was a Japanese thing. I told him "no, it's let's make this as acid trippy as possible".

It was probably the most bewildering scene I've seen in recent memory.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
Some of you are no fun, the cake song was cute.

Rita Repulsa posted:

...to the pretend moe anime or whatever that episode one of the original series was. [...] to all the cringeworthy anime humor/lesbian jokes in the original before episode 3's end.

I really dislike this attitude. The whole "it starts out poo poo but wait until episode 3, then it gets good, no really" stuff is a pet peeve of mine, in regards to this franchise. The start of the show served an important purpose.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The cake song describes the plot of the movie. The dream of a cat is Homura's witch barrier, the melon that cracks to reveal a sweet dream is Madoka's memory, Homura 'goes around in circles' etc. Or at least that's how it came across to me on repeated viewing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love the cake song.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MagicalDuck posted:

Shinbou came up with the ending. Urobuchi's original intention was for Homura to be taken to magical girl heaven by Madokami.

That so? I suppose I mean Shinbou both of them then.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 9, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

MagicalDuck posted:

It was something both of them discussed and agreed on--Urobuchi decided he liked the new ending than his originally planned one, if I recall correctly.

Saoritficis
Apr 23, 2008
The ending was brilliant, was one of those "Holy poo poo I did not see that coming! Why didn't I see that coming?" kinda moments.

I do hope it won't be too long before they continue the story....

I do hope they intend on continuing the story...

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

MagicalDuck posted:

Still saying Shinbou ruining the story is disingenuous. They both did come up and Urobuchi himself did have doubts about the "original" ending that was planned.

Here's what Urobuchi says about it

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Hm. I really hated this, and wish I'd never watched it. On the one hand, gorgeous animation. On the other, heinous amount of character assassination, awful plotting, and baffling pacing decisions.

Forty minute dream sequence in a two hour movie. Yeah, okay.

I'm going to just forget this ever happened.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Harettazetta posted:

Hm. I really hated this, and wish I'd never watched it. On the one hand, gorgeous animation. On the other, heinous amount of character assassination, awful plotting, and baffling pacing decisions.

Forty minute dream sequence in a two hour movie. Yeah, okay.

I'm going to just forget this ever happened.

All objectively wrong :psyduck:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
It's not a dream sequence if it's actually happening, you know.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

PerrineClostermann posted:

Nah, the animation was actually gorgeous.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

True, except for the pacing to an extent. I felt that the fanservice intro dragged on for way too long, which wasn't helped much by the cake song. But other than that the pacing was fine.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Saoritficis posted:

I do hope they intend on continuing the story...

I kind of hope they don't, or at least they do a few "what if" scenarios instead of one canon continuation.

Rebellion's ending is wonderfully ambiguous and I'm not sure if any followup could be that satisfying.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I got the BD in today and finally rewatched the film.

I think I have a higher opinion of it now after watching it in a setting where I can take in the whole movie by myself and pause for bathroom breaks, particularly with regard to the music and animation. Part of that is Shaft being crazy and making a bunch of improvements to the animation and presentation from the transition from the version shown in theaters to the version that ended up on the disc. Even having only seen the film a couple of times last Winter, there's a bunch of parts I can clearly point out and go "yep, they changed that", and I get the sense that there's a lot of stuff I'd have missed too. In particular, pretty much everything from Kyubey having his first proper line of the film and onward through till the ending was completely revamped. In my opinion the film has gone from "looks really good" to "by far the best looking thing I've ever seen Shaft put out".

Shaft, Urobuchi, Kajiura, Inu Curry, and everyone else involved really gave it their best for this film. It's the sort of movie I'm going to enjoy more the more times I watch it. There's a lot of minor details that I noticed on my third go-around that I missed the two times I saw it in theaters, so I'm probably going to go over it with a fine toothed comb later. I haven't felt inspired to pause every few seconds in a Shaft anime since Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, although this will be to bask in just how well done a whole bunch of shots are rather than to pick up on gags.

EDIT

Oh yeah, I took some pictures of the BD packaging because it really is some kickass packaging.

Outer box. It's amazingly sturdy feeling.

Inner disc case, outside art

Inside of the disc case

Opened and with the discs removed. Cute artwork!

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 12, 2014

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
The first 5 seconds of the creditless opening is also slightly different.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Hey, I looked it up and apparently the weird obsession with empty chairs of various styles is (probably) a reference to a deconstruction-y giant robot manga called Bokurano: Ours. Is that any good?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Bokurano is even more heartwarming than Madoka. You should go read it now.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ActionZero posted:

Bokurano is even more heartwarming than Madoka. You should go read it now.

This. It's a wonderfully light-hearted, healing story.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

This. It's a wonderfully light-hearted, healing story.

Anime's a gonzo train-wreck though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 15, 2014

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

ConanThe3rd posted:

Anime's a gonzo train-wreck though.

I've heard opinions to the contrary, but also that it diverges from the manga halfway through (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

wielder posted:

I've heard opinions to the contrary, but also that it diverges from the manga halfway through (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).
Manga's about Kids offing themselves for the greater good (and wonder if that greater good is worth it) by way of Giant Robot with no escape from that fate, director was like "Could we Not do that?" and Kitoh went with it because I'm sure he just threw his hands up and gave up the moment he saw Gonzo was getting their big fat show destroying noses up on his his business.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 16, 2014

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Madoka: "Do you understand what it would mean if you died within the isolation field? You won't even be able to break out of the shell and will end up a fully born witch inside the egg. You'll be destroyed without being found by the Law of the Cycle. No one will ever be able to save your soul from despair. You would lose your chance to see Kaname Madoka again, forever."

Utena: "If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born. We are the chick; the world is our egg. If we don't crack the world's shell, we will die without ever truly being born. Smash the world's shell."

Demian (Hermann Hesse): “The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy a world. The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas.” (“Our god's name is Abraxas and he is God and Satan and he contains both the luminous and the dark world.”)

Homura breaks out of her egg:

When she becomes a devil, the cosmos turns into this new form:

After the credits, she gazes at the object that has replaced her soul gem:

Contrast this to the image of Dios residing outside of the world's egg in Utena:

Nightmare song: "It's not time yet, it's not time yet. The night is still only half-eaten."

Consider that Homura has encased the world inside of this new soul gem. She looks at it tenderly, like an egg that she anticipates will soon hatch. She still has a use for an Incubator in this new world. But unlike Utena, she is not sleeping outside of the world, waiting for someone to break out of the shell and revitalize her. On the contrary, she is awaken, she no longer sleeps and dreams; her tired eyes are a proof of her diligence. She is nurturing the world's egg. She is waiting for someone to break free like she has. Now that Madoka, Sayaka, and Nagisa have been returned to normal magical girls, is it not possible for everyone turn into devils too?

Cephas fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 16, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Are you suggesting that once Homura's world is consumed, someone will have to break out of their shell and take her place as the demon overlord? If so, that has some interesting implications.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm not sure about that.

(Written on the pole of the umbrella: "Die Ewige Wiederkehr des Gleichen" -- "the eternal recurrence")

She's sitting at a table for two, and in some shots, she is speaking to a person just outside of the frame. This says to me that she is anticipating an arrival, but not necessarily a replacement. And that arrival is different from the god that Madoka once embodied, because Homura doesn't allow it to intrude into her world.

Also, does anyone know what the heck this thing is? It spins.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Cephas posted:

Also, does anyone know what the heck this thing is? It spins.

The mark on it looks like Madoka's emblem. "The Eternal Feminine"

Might be representative of what Homura stole from Madoka, her power or memories or whatever.

e: Homura's emblem for comparison

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Is there a good site that points out all the symbolism and translates all the runes, etc?

• Locked thread