Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jackie D posted:

Crysis still looks great

Crysis 3 with the official DX11 and HD Texture patches looks pretty drat amazing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I'm in the mood for a dark or gritty shooter. I really enjoyed Max Payne 3 and Spec Ops, I also like the atmosphere in x-com and the physics in GTA V, although I really loved the gunplay in MP3 and Spec Ops. I've been playing a lot of Necromunda lately, which is a tactical 40k wargame set between fighting gangs in the underhive, and surprisingly Brink really hit that flavour feeling on the head but I got bored of it quickly, Borderlands 1/2 were fun for a bit but again, got boring after a while. I loved Bulletstorm, too. It's a tough one to nail down, anyone got any suggestions?

EDIT: Played plenty of STALKER already as well, and Metro. PS3/4 and 360 are fine, PC's preferable for most shooters though.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 5, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Music Theory posted:

For some reason, I've been wanting to play Harvest Moon recently. What was the best Harvest Moon, or, what is a good HM-like?

The Rune Factory spinoffs I enjoyed somewhat, even if the combat mechanics were pretty awkward in the ones I played.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a game that's basically Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, with less jank.

Or, any Roguelike with a very good crafting system / resource management.

Or A roguelike that has an unconventional magic system, (anything but "here is a list of spells pick one.")

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I'm now into a "Good Story" turn based RPG stint.

Might & Magic X,
Fallout Tactics,
Fallout
Fallout 2
Etc.

I'm looking for more, I remember playing some weird Mech game like this back when I was younger.
the more complex the game mechanics and the better the interface trees are the more i'll like it.

Anyways, I'm looking for good single player stories at the moment.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Might & Magic X,
Fallout Tactics,
Fallout
Fallout 2
Etc.

I'm looking for more, I remember playing some weird Mech game like this back when I was younger.
the more complex the game mechanics and the better the interface trees are the more i'll like it.

If you've got a nice Phone, you can get a PSP emulator and play Valkyria Chronicles 2, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Persona, and the Ogre Tactics remake.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Might & Magic X,
Fallout Tactics,
Fallout
Fallout 2
Etc.

Blackguards is fantastic, so's Arcanum, they both sound right up your alley.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

TehGherkin posted:

Blackguards is fantastic, so's Arcanum, they both sound right up your alley.

Arcanum + unofficial patch, play in turn-based, not real time mode. Classic RPG and one of the only good steampunk anythings out there.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone played Wasteland 2 yet? Looks like it's ye olde Fallout/XCom, but at that price I'm gonna need to hear some good thoughts.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

Anyone played Wasteland 2 yet? Looks like it's ye olde Fallout/XCom, but at that price I'm gonna need to hear some good thoughts.

Wait for it to get out of beta, at least.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
After reading a bit of the Master of Magic Lp (which is excellent, by the way) I've got the itch of something similar but more modern. I've already tried warlock and it was a little too swallow for me. I'm trying to avoid Dominions, because it looks like a horrible, horrible time sink.

VVVV

Yeah, I have played Dominions 3, and enjoyed it a lot. I'd just rather not sink an hour in each turn to micromanage the spells of every mage in my army, so they can pull a reverse comunion without blowing themselves up. Or, god forbid, playing Ermor. :ohdear:

I'll try Age of Wonders, thanks.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 6, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

After reading a bit of the Master of Magic Lp (which is excellent, by the way) I've got the itch of something similar but more modern. I've already tried warlock and it was a little too swallow for me. I'm trying to avoid Dominions, because it looks like a horrible, horrible time sink.

Hey, Dominions is a great game, and if you play multiplayer (which is the only thing you should play) then it only becomes a terrible time sink if you get impulsive and join way too many games at the same time.

That said, if you're opposed to Dominions for whatever reasons I believe the recently released Age of Wonders III is supposed to be up the Master of Magic alley. Although I might recommend waiting for the first sale since it sounds like its got a couple balance issues to sort out in the meantime anyway.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm looking for games with criminals involved. GTA, Hitman, True Crime, Sleeping Dogs, LA Noire, Hotline Miami, and so on. I also recently played The Shivah and absolutely loved it. Things that happen to have criminal elements involved. I don't know why, but I'm really into that genre right now (maybe b/c of True Detective and Sopranos marathons). I've hit most of the big stuff in those AAA series, but any recommendations would be cool. I don't care about the game genre or time period either, though more 70s-80s stuff would be super cool. I've heard Omerta's cool and I really liked XCOM so maybe that would be okay. Good guy, bad guy, or private eye, anything would be cool.

e. Forgot to mention, I'm looking for pc games.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 8, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Anyone got a multiplayer cooperative game with in-world persistence mechanics? Something like base building or tech upgrading, etc. Examples include Minecraft/Terreria/Starbound, but it doesn't have to be as focused on total creativity and freeform building.

Basically I want co-op that's mechanically deeper than "play setpiece missions and unlock slightly better guns/powers"

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

N. Senada posted:

I'm looking for games with criminals involved. GTA, Hitman, True Crime, Sleeping Dogs, LA Noire, Hotline Miami, and so on. I also recently played The Shivah and absolutely loved it. Things that happen to have criminal elements involved. I don't know why, but I'm really into that genre right now (maybe b/c of True Detective and Sopranos marathons). I've hit most of the big stuff in those AAA series, but any recommendations would be cool. I don't care about the game genre or time period either, though more 70s-80s stuff would be super cool. I've heard Omerta's cool and I really liked XCOM so maybe that would be okay. Good guy, bad guy, or private eye, anything would be cool.

e. Forgot to mention, I'm looking for pc games.

• One AAA game I didn't see you list was Saint's Row. SR2 (with Gentlemen of the Row mod), SR3, and SR4 are all great. (GTA, but over the top)
  • Payday 2 (multiplayer co-op heists, FPS style)
  • Monaco (multiplayer co-op heists, top down puzzler style)
  • Maaaybe Deadly Premonition (detective open world game, made by a Japanese developer, a little hosed up)
  • The Thief series? (seminal stealth games in open complex levels)
  • Uplink (the hacker game, played through a minimalist interface)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

Anyone got a multiplayer cooperative game with in-world persistence mechanics? Something like base building or tech upgrading, etc. Examples include Minecraft/Terreria/Starbound, but it doesn't have to be as focused on total creativity and freeform building.

Basically I want co-op that's mechanically deeper than "play setpiece missions and unlock slightly better guns/powers"

Do RPGs with co-op play count? Cause Diablo 3 has turned out pretty well after ditching the real money auction house and fixing loop drop rates. Saint's Row 4 lets you play the entire game together co-op. Borderlands 1/2 would go well here, too.

Another possibility would be strategy games allowing co-op play. Total War Rome 2, Crusader Kings 2, and Europa Universalis 4 all have multiplayer campaigns where you can work together. That might be a little closer to your idea of persistence, since you're building a nation and all.

In the vein of Minecraft/Terraria/Starbound, there have been a glut of games out that follow a general "survive/scavenge/build in hostile environment" theme. Rust, DayZ (probably should still play the Arma 2 version), 7 days to die, and probably more I can't think of.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I'm looking for a game where you just...destroy lots of stuff, whether it be buildings or people or both. Basically a game you can take out your frustrations on and just annihilate everything in your path with little, if any, opposition, and have a good time doing it. I'm not interested in sillier games like Saint's Row that do this though. Looking for more serious and brutal stuff like Prototype. I prefer FPS games, third person games and tactical games where you can control an army.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Both Mafia games are pretty good, too.

GruntyThrst posted:

EVE Online. Join the Goonswarm. Fight the galaxy. :unsmigghh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MrSmokes posted:

I'm looking for a game where you just...destroy lots of stuff, whether it be buildings or people or both. Basically a game you can take out your frustrations on and just annihilate everything in your path with little, if any, opposition, and have a good time doing it. I'm not interested in sillier games like Saint's Row that do this though. Looking for more serious stuff like Prototype.

Earth Defense Force 2025

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

MrSmokes posted:

I'm looking for a game where you just...destroy lots of stuff, whether it be buildings or people or both. Basically a game you can take out your frustrations on and just annihilate everything in your path with little, if any, opposition, and have a good time doing it. I'm not interested in sillier games like Saint's Row that do this though. Looking for more serious and brutal stuff like Prototype. I prefer FPS games, third person games and tactical games where you can control an army.

Red Faction Guerrilla, possibly with mods, seems right up your alley. It might not be gory, but hammering people feels pretty brutal.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrSmokes posted:

It might sound like an odd suggestion, but check out the Brutal Doom mod for the original Doom/Doom 2 games. You can get both of them on Steam for super cheap, and the mod is just ridiculously satisfying with the amount of carnage involved. ZDoom/Zandronum is required to play the mod, but they're both very easy to install (you basically just run them and they auto-detect the games and do everything for you), and they also update the game engine to play a lot more like a modern FPS with mouselook and such, so there's no dated feeling to the basic mechanics.

On an unrelated note, I feel like playing army commander. Are there any modern or WW2 based RTS games that play kind of like the Total War battles (i.e. slower paced/pauseable, with details like positioning and morale being an important factor rather than just whose guns are bigger)? Something that has a dynamic campaign rather than just a series of fixed maps would be interesting too, but it's not mandatory. I'm specifically looking for RTS games for this particular itch - I know there are a bunch of really good turn-based games in those settings but I want something a little bit more active.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 9, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

MrSmokes posted:

Can't believe this wasn't mentioned yet, but the Mercenary series. I think in two you can call down air strikes and level buildings like there's no tomorrow.

Just Cause 2 also, though you can destroy a lot of stuff in it, isn't quite as destructive as the Mercenary series.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MrSmokes posted:

Left 4 Dead 2 is visceral and violent, it's all about tearing through crowds of zombies with whatever weapons you can find.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

On an unrelated note, I feel like playing army commander. Are there any modern or WW2 based RTS games that play kind of like the Total War battles (i.e. slower paced/pauseable, with details like positioning and morale being an important factor rather than just whose guns are bigger)? Something that has a dynamic campaign rather than just a series of fixed maps would be interesting too, but it's not mandatory. I'm specifically looking for RTS games for this particular itch - I know there are a bunch of really good turn-based games in those settings but I want something a little bit more active.

World in Conflict. It has a health system, but positions, orientation, and the type of ammunition available are much more important than simply grinding down enemy hit points.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Internet Friend posted:

Red Faction Guerrilla, possibly with mods, seems right up your alley. It might not be gory, but hammering people feels pretty brutal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to play a game that's basically Mount & Blade: Pirates, like Warband but where you control a pirate fleet and do rear end in a top hat pirate things.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm not sure you're going to do better than Sid Meier's Pirates! or AC: Black Flag, both games you probably already know about.

Tropico 2 has some bitter flaws, and God help you with its logistics problems, but I've also never played a game quite like it where you play as the governor of a pirate island.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Turtlicious posted:

I want to play a game that's basically Mount & Blade: Pirates, like Warband but where you control a pirate fleet and do rear end in a top hat pirate things.

Starsector is supposed to be Pirates/Mount & Blade in space. I haven't played it since it was called Spacefarer, but the people in the thread for it seems to like it well enough.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates! lets you control a pirate ship, loot, etc. You can have other ships in your fleet but you only fight with one at a time.

AC: Black Flag has remarkably similar gameplay, just with better graphics and some story about stabbing people or something.

Starsector is absolutely Mount and Blade in space. I like it a lot, and it's still being actively developed.

Distant Worlds is another space game. Its main focus is on space empires etc but one of its recent expansions added a pirate gameplay mode.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I'm looking for a space sim, the thing is I don't want something too complicated but I still want a descent amount of freedom.
So let's say the spectrum of simple to complex ranges like Colony Wars -> Freespace -> Freelancer -> Elite -> Evochron then I'd want something in the middle range that isn't Freelancer (even though I like it, the mouse driven 3rd person gameplay isn't what I'm after, I need my cockpits and 6dof!)

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I like everything about the Mass Effect series except the combat missions, which I find tedious. My favorite parts are just running around the citadel or my ship just talking to people and solving dumb little mysteries and exploring and stuff. Also it'd be cool if my dialogue options and actions mattered more. Suggestions?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

As long as we are talking Mount and Blade, a crossover between Crusader Kings and M&B has been on my wishlist for a long time. I like the combat/army aspect of M&B and the focus on a single character (at a time) that's in both games but I would like some more meat in diplomacy, possibilities for dynasty building, etc. Another plus would be if you have the option to play as a subordinate character rather than the ruler.

Total War series lack the character aspect plus I would prefer a more actiony gameplay. Dynasty Warriors Empires is just too shallow with few meaningful options. Some of Romance of the Three Kingdoms sort of fit the bill, but they don't really have the dynasty building part and as I said I would prefer a more action-based gameplay.

Any other suggestions?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tacier posted:

I like everything about the Mass Effect series except the combat missions, which I find tedious. My favorite parts are just running around the citadel or my ship just talking to people and solving dumb little mysteries and exploring and stuff. Also it'd be cool if my dialogue options and actions mattered more. Suggestions?
Alpha Protocol.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

Alpha Protocol.

See I was going to suggest AP as well, but he might not like how awful the gunplay/combat is in it. The story and how it branches are amazing but the gameplay itself is a bit mediocre to bad.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007
This may be a bit of an odd suggestion, but I've been searching for games that let you observe a game between two or more AI opponents without having to interact with the game yourself. I know that you can usually accomplish this with fighting games and sports games, but I'm having trouble in the strategy/tactics genre. Are there any games that support things like this anymore?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Makky posted:

This may be a bit of an odd suggestion, but I've been searching for games that let you observe a game between two or more AI opponents without having to interact with the game yourself. I know that you can usually accomplish this with fighting games and sports games, but I'm having trouble in the strategy/tactics genre. Are there any games that support things like this anymore?

Pretty sure Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Univeralis 4 have an observer mode.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Makky posted:

The only thing I can think of that's even close would be Gratuitous Space Battles. 100% of the gameplay takes place prior to battles, it's all planning. You design your ships, arrange a fleet, and then give them instructions about what to do when the fighting starts. Once the battle starts there is absolutely zero input, both fleets will follow their scripts until one or the other is defeated and you can just sit back and watch the action.

If you decide to get it I would strongly recommend getting the complete pack (not to be confused with the battle pack, which is just a bundle with some other game you don't want). It's only two or three dollars more and adds a whole lot of content, and the Galactic Conquest mode is kinda cool.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41800/

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 11, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Makky posted:

Again, World in Conflict. I've had a lot of fun bringing the camera down to ground level and watching the battle as the AIs slug it out, or having eyes in the sky while a battle rages.

NO BROS FOR HOES
Apr 19, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

Pretty sure Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Univeralis 4 have an observer mode.

That's awesome. I have CK2 and I didn't even know about it! I'll check this one out.

Chomp8645 posted:

The only thing I can think of that's even close would be Gratuitous Space Battles.

This is definitely along the same track. I own this game as well; I just wish that it was easier to set up both sides of the battle. I'd like to have control over what both sides have access to.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Again, World in Conflict. I've had a lot of fun bringing the camera down to ground level and watching the battle as the AIs slug it out, or having eyes in the sky while a battle rages.

Very cool, thanks for the suggestion!

Do any of the Command & Conquer games support observing AI-only games?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Makky posted:

This is definitely along the same track. I own this game as well; I just wish that it was easier to set up both sides of the battle. I'd like to have control over what both sides have access to.

I think you CAN have control over both sides. Upload a fleet to the challenger thingy, then challenge it with another one. Unless there is some restriction preventing you from challenging your own fleets you should be able to field both sides of the battle that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Mokinokaro posted:

See I was going to suggest AP as well, but he might not like how awful the gunplay/combat is in it. The story and how it branches are amazing but the gameplay itself is a bit mediocre to bad.

Set it to easy, pick pistols, and cruise through.