Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
So much for playable equip cards.

UR god is awesome as hell though. Sensei Top, Notion Thief, Consecrated Sphinx, any number of already good EDH cards just turn that guy into an amazing clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Has there ever been a time (other than the weird block structure of Return to Ravnica) that a mechanic has been present in the first and third sets but not the second, like monstrosity?

Battle cry in Mirrodin Besieged, Ninjutsu in betrayers, Amplify in Legions. It happens quite regularly, especially with mechanics that have room to grow.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lobsterpillar posted:

Battle cry in Mirrodin Besieged, Ninjutsu in betrayers, Amplify in Legions. It happens quite regularly, especially with mechanics that have room to grow.

You misread the question. They were asking about mechanics that skip the second set.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I was up on Keranos and now I'm way down on him. At least a plainswalker does something the turn it comes down. I'd rather have a Thassa going for a few turns by that point and the good activated ability.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If the top card of my library is exposed from something like future sight or coursier, and I play a spell that draws multiple cards, do I have to reveal each card I am drawing as it becomes the top card? I'm guessing I do but want some clarification.

You do. The game treats it as seperate draws, so Divination really reads: draw 1, draw 1.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 8, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

ThirdEmperor posted:

So much for playable equip cards.

UR god is awesome as hell though. Sensei Top, Notion Thief, Consecrated Sphinx, any number of already good EDH cards just turn that guy into an amazing clock.

Notion Thief and Consecrated Sphinx don't interact with the UR god, FYI.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I was up on Keranos and now I'm way down on him. At least a plainswalker does something the turn it comes down. I'd rather have a Thassa going for a few turns by that point and the good activated ability.

But if you have Keranos on board with that new Merfolk Seer and a Courser of Kruphix you've assembled an incredibly elaborate and stupid version of Thassa's Scry 1 :baby:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

He is also indestructible, and in one color that play counterspells to keep him safe. Me, I've actually gone really heavy on EDH, so Standard is not really my strength, but he seems like the kind of durdly, inevitable finisher that some players really enjoy. He'll see at least fringe play, I think. I mean, if Assemble the Legion can be a real card, in that it's a 5 mana enchantment that does nothing the turn it comes down, then Keranos can find a place. Maybe not a T1 place, but there are more places than just T1.

Sure, Thassa might be better, unless she becomes worse due to some heretofore unseen card. But do you want Keranos to be Standard playable? Eternal Playable? Because he seems pretty nice for kitchen table, non-super-combotastic EDH and that's why I like him.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 8, 2014

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Count Bleck posted:

Also, who knows, maybe there's a black version called God's End! :getin:

BW Elspeth, God Slayer would be sorta amazing. Fluff wise, aligning with the god of passage between life and death may also be helpful to fight things that don't really die. Also I always like more black good(ish) guys.

There's approximately zero chance of it happening, I just like spitballing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
On my LGS Facebook group we've got guys saying you better have deep pockets to get Godsend. They got upset when I said it was about as good as Moonsilver Spear.

Should just offer to presell mine I guess.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Applebees posted:

Right. After you reveal, you use Resonator on the ability that the reveal triggered.

It doesn't work that way. You need to use Resonator before the ability resolves and reveals anything.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boxman posted:

BW Elspeth, God Slayer would be sorta amazing. Fluff wise, aligning with the god of passage between life and death may also be helpful to fight things that don't really die. Also I always like more black good(ish) guys.

There's approximately zero chance of it happening, I just like spitballing.

I mean it would fit her story progression given her whole desire to find a home she can actually protect, seeing that's she's botched that up about three times. I'd be getting desperate at that point too.

Also, Sorin is B/W now so there's also that.

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

What a Judas posted:

It doesn't work that way. You need to use Resonator before the ability resolves and reveals anything.

There's no trigger on the stack at that point. You use Resonator after a "whenever you reveal..." ability has triggered.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

What a Judas posted:

It says, "whenever" twice, which is the key word for a triggered ability. Do two abilities go on the stack before the card is revealed, and one fizzles, or does it go on the stack as one big trigger?

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

End of Life Guy posted:

It says, "whenever" twice, which is the key word for a triggered ability. Do two abilities go on the stack before the card is revealed, and one fizzles, or does it go on the stack as one big trigger?

Neither. One of the two embedded abilities trigger after you reveal the card. The reveal itself is part of a static ability.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Sweet another card to put into my Nekusar EDH deck...this block apparently loves Wheel of Fortune.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Woapalanne posted:

Neither. One of the two embedded abilities trigger after you reveal the card. The reveal itself is part of a static ability.

Thats how I assumed it worked. I was struggling to interpret it in the way What a Judas had mentioned.

I think the big wall of text might lead people to believe its one ability, but it was probably squeezed together during templating to avoid making the text microscopic

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Yeah my mistake. I automatically interpreted it as a single ability, because it's one block of text. I think the templating on that card is poorly executed.

It should look like this:

Reveal the first card etc.

Whenever you reveal etc.

It should be two distinct paragraphs, if you consider how templates generally work.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

On my LGS Facebook group we've got guys saying you better have deep pockets to get Godsend. They got upset when I said it was about as good as Moonsilver Spear.

Should just offer to presell mine I guess.

It's a loving Unscythe.

A card that no one has ever been excited about and has never seen any constructed play whatsoever.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME

qbert posted:

Notion Thief and Consecrated Sphinx don't interact with the UR god, FYI.

drat. Your turns. It'd be so much better if it could trigger on opponents turns like Ephara.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

What a Judas posted:

Yeah my mistake. I automatically interpreted it as a single ability, because it's one block of text. I think the templating on that card is poorly executed.

It should look like this:

Reveal the first card etc.

Whenever you reveal etc.

It should be two distinct paragraphs, if you consider how templates generally work.

It is logically one ability though - the consequent triggers only do things if a card is revealed due to the first part, not if they're revealed in any other way.

The real templating issue is caused by the fact that one of the consequents has a target - in particular, this is what forces it to use that clumsy triggered ability setup instead of having it all be part of the one replacement effect.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ultima66 posted:

It's a loving Unscythe.

A card that no one has ever been excited about and has never seen any constructed play whatsoever.

Unscythe can't swing on t4 and is 3 colors. I get what you are saying but there is a big diff. between an equipped creature swinging on t4 or t5. It also requires the creature to block the equipped creature, and die in some way.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

jassi007 posted:

Unscythe can't swing on t4 and is 3 colors. I get what you are saying but there is a big diff. between an equipped creature swinging on t4 or t5. It also requires the creature to block the equipped creature, and die in some way.

Or be blocked by the creature! (Godsend also does this.) And in fairness giving someone +3/+3 and first strike improves their chances of getting the kill. It's worse than Godsend which doesn't even need to do damage but it has a slight edge in that you'd have a harder time safely gang-blocking someone with Unscythe.

You could also put Unscythe on a Pinger or Pestilence Demon or something and trigger it without combat, which you can't do with Godsend.

Again -- Godsend is better. But not universally.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Ultima66 posted:

It's a loving Unscythe.

Please rebroadcast this loudly and often until people catch on how use able this is. It's not a four of but I can see where a stone forge would want to find this. You are using this card too fairly in your head I think.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Dr. Stab posted:

It only costs 4W because you're putting it into play with stoneforge mystic and then equiping it on your taunting elf.
Going to quote this when the top legacy deck is Bant Stoneforge-Lure with counters for combo decks.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

If my opponent is playing with white 1-drops and they are spending turns two and three to only add three very vulnerable damage to the board, thank you sir may I have another! Swinging on turn 4 with a Godsend isn't even good. At all.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Nemico posted:

If my opponent is playing with white 1-drops and they are spending turns two and three to only add three very vulnerable damage to the board, thank you sir may I have another! Swinging on turn 4 with a Godsend isn't even good. At all.

I don't have super high hopes of it being constructed playable, at least not standard/modern, but it is a cool card and its better than unscythe for sure. It will most def. find a home in EDH and possibly some cube action.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

But Graceful Antelope doesn't have haste?

Godsend is at least a Vulshok Battlegear with a color restriction.

Honestly I can see Godsend being at least okay in White Weenie lists as a one-of but I'm not a good aggro player so v:shobon:v.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 8, 2014

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Today is definitely the most interesting bunch of spoilers so far.

Can't wait to catch all those gods (and keep stashing them away for a few years).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If the top card of my library is exposed from something like future sight or coursier, and I play a spell that draws multiple cards, do I have to reveal each card I am drawing as it becomes the top card? I'm guessing I do but want some clarification.

What if I have a Courser out and I attack with a Prognostic Sphinx. I only have to show my opponent the top card of my library before and after I scry, correct? Not all 3 cards.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Zoness posted:

But Graceful Antelope doesn't have haste?

Sneak Attack it!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

End of Life Guy posted:

Thats how I assumed it worked. I was struggling to interpret it in the way What a Judas had mentioned.

I think the big wall of text might lead people to believe its one ability, but it was probably squeezed together during templating to avoid making the text microscopic

They have to be a part of the same abiility to show that the static ability and triggered abilities are linked.

Ser:primitive etchings and rowen.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

What if I have a Courser out and I attack with a Prognostic Sphinx. I only have to show my opponent the top card of my library before and after I scry, correct? Not all 3 cards.
Correct, because you are looking at the top X cards of your library. If you were to draw cards (via say Divination), you would have to reveal each card before it is drawn since it exists in a known zone (top of your library).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
:stare: As a Selesnya Player, Godsend makes me incredibly happy. I'm already drooling to have one of those against GR Monsters, where the problem has been that eventually your creatures get out-classed. +3/+3 is incredibly relevant on a board like that, especially when double blocking is suicide because the "can't cast creatures with the same name" clause is absolutely ridiculous (plus you don't have to worry about feeding their Oozes).

I would be incredibly unhappy to be facing down a 6/7 Brimaz holding a Godsend :catstare:. Thankfully I'll be the one controlling them :getin:

I don't get all the Keranos hate. "Oh no, something amazing happens as a bonus on every one of my draw steps, including DRAWING EXTRA CARDS, in a control deck!" He's indestructible, and every turn you are either drawing an extra card or getting a free lightning bolt. I don't get the whining that he's 5 mana IN CONTROL COLORS. I experimented with Grixis for about a month and this is EXACTLY what it was missing at the top of the curve: an incredibly hard-to-answer topper you don't have to keep dumping mana into! You can actually play a durdle-y stall game and win on something other than time!

It just makes me sad that I sold off all my Grixis pieces :(

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
With some of the new cards, I'm wondering if U/B control becomes a thing.

I mean you could use Dictate of Kruphix, Dakra Mystic to pair up with Notion Thief, to get into a world of card advantage that you can then use to pump into things like Pack Rat and Prognostic Sphynx, and obviously make sure you keep hitting land drops to have lots of mana for an aetherling. It also lets you combine Whip of Erebos with Aetherling if you want.

I just don't know if there's any way it would hold up any better than the standard Esper or U/W control that's already out there. It also means it's less painful than using Erebos/Underworld Connections for card draw.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ManiacMatt posted:

With some of the new cards, I'm wondering if U/B control becomes a thing.

I mean you could use Dictate of Kruphix, Dakra Mystic to pair up with Notion Thief, to get into a world of card advantage that you can then use to pump into things like Pack Rat and Prognostic Sphynx, and obviously make sure you keep hitting land drops to have lots of mana for an aetherling. It also lets you combine Whip of Erebos with Aetherling if you want.

I just don't know if there's any way it would hold up any better than the standard Esper or U/W control that's already out there. It also means it's less painful than using Erebos/Underworld Connections for card draw.

That seems like so many interconnecting parts when UW does the things you want in single self-contained cards.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That seems like so many interconnecting parts when UW does the things you want in single self-contained cards.

Maybe I'm foolish but the redundancy of that plan seems OK to me.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PleasantDirge posted:

Maybe I'm foolish but the redundancy of that plan seems OK to me.

What redundancy? Without notion thief your opponent just gets to draw more cards. Putting in cards that let you both draw, and hoping to stick a notion thief to get all the draws isn't a great plan. When you don't have a thief, they just get to draw more answers to your deck.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Well if you're playing control, I would also assume you would be drawing more answers as well. You also get to sculpt their extra cards a bit with the mystic, as if you see something you don't want them to have, you can just dump it in their graveyard.

I mean, notion thief is getting cute, but brining on lots of card draw in a control deck seems like the thing it wants to do, especially one that had pack rat and prognostic sphynx.

More just wanted to see if anyone had ideas on how to make it work, or if I was just being silly and magical christmas land about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GodSend doesn't work against Mutavault and other manlands, right? Because they aren't technically cast, just "played."

• Locked thread