Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't have any idea for sure but I'm betting it's a code word they use for some ethnic or racial group they don't like. I think using "Canadians" to mean "black people" is one of them, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
You're all lucky you don't sully yourself with the poo poo that is freep. Amish is freep speak for african-americans, see also "urban ferals". It's a joke you see, since amish people never commit crimes and them coloured people do ALL of the crimes.

As in "this news article doesn't say what group of people the rapist belongs to, I'm sure it's those darn amish again. What do you mean I mean black people, I guess it's YOU that is the racist here. :smug:"

vvvvvv --- Welcome to the danger zone!

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 8, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What the gently caress kind of retarded thing is a freep?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Slavvy posted:

What the gently caress kind of retarded thing is a freep?

Free republic. Think about all of the worst libertarian and redneck stereotypes.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Flikken posted:

Free republic. Think about all of the worst libertarian and redneck stereotypes.

I thought that freep is opposite of creep (LoTRo jargon)

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You're all lucky you don't sully yourself with the poo poo that is freep. Amish is freep speak for african-americans, see also "urban ferals". It's a joke you see, since amish people never commit crimes and them coloured people do ALL of the crimes.

As in "this news article doesn't say what group of people the rapist belongs to, I'm sure it's those darn amish again. What do you mean I mean black people, I guess it's YOU that is the racist here. :smug:"

vvvvvv --- Welcome to the danger zone!

:stare:

I hate it so much but I can't stop reading.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PleasusChrist posted:

:stare:

I hate it so much but I can't stop reading.

That's why I closed my browser and walked away. loving rabbit holes.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
First my sister, and now:

My dad got his first bike this week! 2005 GS500 for $1900, and that was with a decent AGV jacket, the pictured saddlebags, and a hardcover Haynes manual. Goddamn I love haggling :toot:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Pictured: a cool dad

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

man thats a good deal

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My new-to-me hornet 919. Cosmetically it's pretty rough but mechanically, it's a gem. This is the first bike I've bought with my head over my heart, and the first time I've bought a model that I've already owned in the past. It feels surprisingly good being completely familiar with the bike, and it pleases me that I had a set of criteria (fuel injected, common, good for commuting, reliable and with decent power/handling) which I managed to meet perfectly, while also having the bonus of a bike I already 'know'.

It came with heated grips and a ventura pack rack; the rack is going for sale immediately, unfortunately the PO didn't have the factory grab handle so I'll have to do without until I find one. It's already had a bafflectomy so all I've had to do is disable the intake duct flap for maximum obnoxiousness. Tyres are great, chain is great, brakes will need new pads soon. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. It's fast and capable enough to make riding for fun a possibility, while being nowhere near as hardcore as my zx-10 so I don't feel guilty for not constantly riding like a dong. I like this because I can just go for a ride and enjoy the feeling of being out on a bike and not worry too much about my form or my lines or my tyre temperatures or whatever. Plus I'll hopefully learn to wheelie better; I didn't have the right amount of talent when I first owned one of these so hopefully now that I've ridden much more powerful bikes and grown as a rider significantly, I can perhaps get more out of it than I did back in the day.

For reference, it's a 2005 with 60,000km's and I paid $3,500. This was an absolute steal and I haggled them down mainly on the cosmetic defects and the high mileage.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 13, 2014

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Just swapped keys with a friend for the week ('till Friday)

I'll see if I can get in on some riding game fun.

He's done some work on it, new cylinder head, and some related stuff. I'm not 100% sure, it'll be nice find out if it was worth the spend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

url posted:

Just swapped keys with a friend for the week ('till Friday)

I'll see if I can get in on some riding game fun.

He's done some work on it, new cylinder head, and some related stuff. I'm not 100% sure, it'll be nice find out if it was worth the spend.

Unless he has access to a dyno I guarantee that runs worse than stock.

It's a 250cc single, what are you going to get out of that? Better idea to just swap in a ninja 250 engine.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah that head work was completely unnecessary, the Monster sticker already maxed out his HP.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nsaP posted:

Yeah that head work was completely unnecessary, the Monster sticker already maxed out his HP.

But the 10 grams of the sticker adds unnecessary bulk. He probably lost a couple of tenths per lap because of it. Squiddie. :shrug:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's why you should put your monster stickers on the bottom of the belly pan. Centralization of mass.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Z3n posted:

Unless he has access to a dyno I guarantee that runs worse than stock.

It's a 250cc single, what are you going to get out of that? Better idea to just swap in a ninja 250 engine.

Yeah, after I got mine, I was tempted, but having read some stuff, I gave up on the idea pretty quickly.

nsaP posted:

Ha!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
For what it's worth, I did a good 6 hours on his, with 'tea' breaks the other night, and we met up today to swap keys back.

Obviosuly that meant we had to make use of some spots in the city with low camera density, and get some head-to-head drag type fun in, as well as some general bikey hi-jinx.

All in all it was a good giggle. In the roads I knew, I was able to keep a huge lead on him, on the roads he knew the opposite.

Truth be told there was never much in it but confidence, and it was nice to know a new area of the city for with long well-paved straights, and some nice long bends. Neither of us is really up good enough to threaten the chicken strips too much, so all in all it was quite polite.

Bloody good fun though!

E: his was waaaay more comfortable, and way more torquey, to the point that I was constantly worried about bringing the font up.
It was really nice to have the time to get to know a different riding position, different suspension, different brakes (his back brakes felt non existent, but his front brakes seemed to have a lot more range).

I'm no expert but I felt I learned modre this week than in the past year.

Oh yeah, his steering seemed fully one hundred times lighter too, I'm not sure why.

url fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 17, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

url posted:

his was waaaay more comfortable, and way more torquey, to the point that I was constantly worried about bringing the font up. his front brakes seemed to have a lot more range).

Oh yeah, his steering seemed fully one hundred times lighter too, I'm not sure why.

Because it is a Honda. :smugdog:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Sagebrush posted:

Are you Spanish?

E: not to be defensive, I think we both agreed mine was more fun, but that his was great for commuting and wheelies, though neither of us can do one.

I honestly think, he might buy mine off me when I look to upgrade soon. a) because he'll get a good price on his, and b) because I honestly think he wants the position and closeness of it.

I felt a little removed from the bike, I'm not 100% sure why yet, but it just seemed more (planted admittedly) cosy and comfortable rather than engaging. No bad thing, but, just saying is all.

He's put a fair whack of cash into prettying it up with sticker, and gubbins and whatnot, so I'm not sure, but, I think he prefs mine. Which kinda makes me feel a bit sad (poor fucker)m but also, makes feel gald I read these forums beyond I dropped any cash.

:)

url fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 17, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Depressingly true. Also the reason it feels like his bike will wheelie is because it has the lumpy low-range torque of a single. Your bike is both a twin, so slightly less lumpy low-range, and is slightly more performance-orientated so it's eager to rev and somewhat peaky.

FWIW I can't visualise doing a wheelie on a modern CBR250, you'd be absolutely raping the clutch to make it happen; I'm surprised that worried you.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Yeah, we were yapping to compare between single and twin and stuff, but, I don't have the range/depth of knowledge to really hammer out the finer points. He used to dirtbike a bunch and carries a bunch of injuries from it, but he had a 7 year hiatus between then and now, so he wasn't overly confident in pointing out the subtleties either. Blind leading the blind as it were.

The main point is, a chance meeting at a diner, a couple of poker games later and we both had very good fun this evening.

I'd like to know why his felt so light to steer (though full lock had my hand squished at the tank and the other way squishing the bars under his windshield, idk if its a stock windshield). I'm wondering if that's the "bolt on handlebars" thing, or if its something more technical and fork related, or damper related or some other thing.

The lumpy low range torque was definitely evident in most gears; to the point I was worried about it coming up on any quick gear change. I've gotten fairly well used to flicking through the gears at whatever power band I'm happy to do so, without ever feeling the front was light.

It's only recently when loving about and throwing down stacks & stacks of power that I've ever felt my front might lift. There's been a couple of occasions that it did lift a little, but it was never more than a sniff above the pavement I'm sure, only in first, and certainly nothing a lean forward didn't resolve.

I'm not trying to wheelie at all, I get that it's a cool trick and all, but, I remain fully fearful of launching off to a side, dropping it, or basically some other expensive thing. The import tax here is quite prohibitive, so I like the nice thing that I have, and need it to commute. Having it as it is, and not bent/broken/in repair shop really is kinda key to me.

None of the above is meant to be snarky btw, but, it's a bit late here is all, and, I don't want to come off as trying to know more than I do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How's your tire pressures? Both bikes should steer very lightly. Also, if there's a reaosnable amount of mileage on yours on the stock tires, the tires could be flatspotted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also, ninja 250 rake is 26 degrees, CBR250 is 25 degrees. If those are the only two bikes he's ridden, it might be a noticeable difference. But I'd look at tyre pressures.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Cool, thanks for that.

I'll take a look at the pressures. Mine just hit 7K and so I'm in for an oil change etc this weekend.
If we're looking to tyre pressure, I should mention dude has 70/140 on the rear (he's looking to put a 150 on), and I have stock 70/130 on mine.

I didn't realise before now, but apparently P.O. added a thingy to the rear-set to shift the rear-set back a couple of inches.
Apparently the silver thingy next to the rear-set isn't standard. (hence not black/ and stamped with some other brand)
I don't have any recent pictures beyond that which I took after I had it washed/cleaned/ a couple of weeks back.

I had no idea to be honest, but, I quite like the position regardless.

And yeah, the CBR & my Kawi are the only two bikes I've spent more than 10 minutes on in the past 10 years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would he want to put a 150 section tyre on? It will make the bike worse in every way. Or is it an availability thing?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Slavvy posted:

Why would he want to put a 150 section tyre on? It will make the bike worse in every way. Or is it an availability thing?

I'm not sure, I think it's for the aesthetics.

I'm not gonna wail on the guy, because I'd like him to add :10bux: to the lowtax divorce fund, and join in with some positive contributions to the Taiwan and East Asia threads (he does have a lot to offer in that regard).

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

I did a thing. Out with the VFR, in with ridiculous italian motorcycles.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
that seems completely sensible to me.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

NipplesTheCat posted:

Nothing ridiculous about that. :catbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NipplesTheCat posted:

You did good, son.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NipplesTheCat posted:

Excellent. Lookit them ridiculous pipes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Nice

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I whole heartedly approve!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

NipplesTheCat posted:

Hell yeah, Tuono broz :respek:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I started riding a couple years ago. So far I've had really good luck buying motorcycles, and terrible judgement selling them, so I now own three.

My first bike, a shitheap '00 Suzuki Marauder VZ800 which I bought for the princely sume of $2500, which I brilliantly decided to purchase before earning my motorcycle license, and did not test ride. One of my buddies took it out (after I had bought it) and noted that it was "a little down on power." I decided to rebuild the carbs while I was waiting for my license in the mail, lo and behold it had turned itself into the little known VZ400. The front carb was so choked with rust the bowl was dry, so I cleaned the carbs, and re-jetted them for the Cobra drag pipes and K&N air filters. I should explain here that I got it with ~16k on the odo, the original owner had put 14k on it in two years, when he sold it to the guy I bought it from, who put 2k on it and left it out in the rain and snow for 10 loving years.

Thus ensued a long and tiring series of breakdowns, often leaving me stranded on single lane roads, the carbs fell off the intake (my fault), the rear brake cable rusted in the "on" position and smoked the rear brakes, the throttle cable snapped, both coilpacks went bad, and countless breakdowns ensued thanks to the PO changing the leads for charging the battery and actuating the solenoid out from nice weather-sealed connectors, to generic stab-ons, which then cooked the wires.

It also tried to start itself/run away from me.

With the kickstand down in 1st gear.

And the killswitch off.

And the key not even in the ignition.

Despite all this I still ride it daily when the weather's warm enough, and love the nimble (for a cruiser) handling, and ability to wing the throttle open whenever I feel like it, making obscene amounts of noise in the process.

The next bike I bought had a little more planning on my part, It's an '04 SV650, which I live 3000 miles away from, and had my friend buy sight-unseen (because I'm a loving idiot). I use this one to run around on when I fly home, which is unfortunate because it's my favorite out of the three that I own. I found out when I first saw it that someone had been using it for racing. It has a high-mount Hindle exhaust, a Lehman's Engineering built Penske-Ohlin's rear shock, and probably re-sprung forks. I can't get enough of the way this bike feels and handles, and wish I had bought one instead of the stupid Marauder for my daily driver.

I plan on taking it from Seattle to San Francisco down the PCH in the next few weeks, I just ordered a Sargent seat for it, which will hopefully fix the whole nut-crushing problem the stock seat has.

My third bike, an '04 R1 (pictured between a giant 1600cc BMW sport-tourer, and a little British go-cart) was probably a mistake, but a friend offered it to me for $2000, and at 20k miles and in absolutely mint condition there was absolutely no way I could say no.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 19, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

one out of three isn't bad, when the one is an R1. :getin:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Elviscat posted:

My third bike, an '04 R1 (pictured between a giant 1600cc BMW sport-tourer, and a little British go-cart) was probably a mistake, but a friend offered it to me for $2000, and at 20k miles and in absolutely mint condition there was absolutely no way I could say no.

How does it feel to rob a "friend"?

pretty good I bet. Good deal.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Get ready to get jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert: