Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Travis343 posted:

The fact that Aurorus gets Refridgerate is loving heartbreaking and I really wish it were a better pokemon because a Northern Lights Sauropod with an ability like that would rule so much.

Its hidden ability is Snow Warning, which is a great ability. Aurorus' real problem is that it might have the worst defensive typing in the entire game (not even an exaggeration) and an extraordinarily lame stat distribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hyper Voice also gets through Substitute, which makes Sylveon straight up gank Gliscor.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Icy Penguigo posted:

Its hidden ability is Snow Warning, which is a great ability.

Too bad there's no way to get it yet.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Dr Pepper posted:

Trick Room Hail.

Glaceon hsd the highest Special Attack of any non-Mega or Legendary Ice type. Blizzards from that hurt.

That would work, I gave mine a scarf and stuck it on a hail team.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Flareon and Glaceon are easily the worst of the eeveelutions. You can like them all you want, competitively, they're not worth looking into considering that they're outclassed by mons of their respective type.

(Refrigerate Glaceon would be bonkers as hell though, too bad Ice is still an awful defensive type)

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

Flareon and Glaceon are easily the worst of the eeveelutions. You can like them all you want, competitively, they're not worth looking into considering that they're outclassed by mons of their respective type.

Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Amperor posted:

Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites

Unless your favorite is Flareon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Amperor posted:

So, real trainers have good opinions? I can believe this

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Amperor posted:

Yeah that's nice Gamefreak but what if my favorite is Beedrill ??

Luckily my favorite is Breloom so I'm safe

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Amperor posted:

If you don't abide by this, pick better favorites.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

nippon nifties posted:

Gamefreak says: Tough poo poo, sucka.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Anyone have any advice on movesets for a team of my favorite pokemon?

Delibird, Carbink, Delcatty, Kricketune, Dunsparce, Flareon

(Make teams of the worst (fully evolved) pokemon)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Can you use Trick or treat on Delcatty?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
People who quote Karen are the worst, hth

Like, if you want to use lovely Pokemon, good for you, but I'm not going to pretend my Plusle/Minun/Emolga/Pachirisu/Dedenne/Pikachu team is going to beat something which actually thinks its choices of Pokemon through.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Amperor posted:

...she said after losing with her team of three bad Pokémon, Gengar and Houndoom.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Crosscontaminant posted:

...she said after losing with her team of three bad Pokémon, Gengar and Houndoom.

So four bad pokemon and Gengar :colbert:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

quote:

There are no weak Pokemon in a Pokemon battle. There are only weak trainers.

Yeah well I don't see you facing challengers with a team of 4 Magikarp, Siebold.

Also, I just experienced a stupid thing.

Say your Aegislash is paralysed before it gets to attack. It will change to Sword Forme, and then be paralysed and unable to move.

Who thought that was a good idea?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Aegislash will change forme even if they're asleep. it's weird.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ungulateman posted:

People who quote Karen are the worst, hth

Like, if you want to use lovely Pokemon, good for you, but I'm not going to pretend my Plusle/Minun/Emolga/Pachirisu/Dedenne/Pikachu team is going to beat something which actually thinks its choices of Pokemon through.

Don't be hating on Emolga. :colbert:

Inadequately posted:

Aegislash will change forme even if they're asleep. it's weird.

It dreams of attacking things.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The day when more (Casual? I wouldn't know the proper term) fans realize that there ARE bad Pokémon, whether it's due to them being outclassed or having bad stats/movepool, the day when fans stop needing to quote an NPC.

You can like non-competitive Pokémon. It's really not a big deal and there's a lot of the dang monsters. It only becomes an issue when you think, say, Glalie is going to win you any battles. Sure you can hype up how you used it as a Baton Passer and it totally destroyed your friend's Garchomp, but you also cannot ignore its flaws as a Pokémon, such as its all 80 stats. Obviously, the inverse is true as well. :v:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Crosscontaminant posted:

That was just something she made up on the spot to explain why she didn't have a Tyranitar on her supposed Dark type team, but kept that Vileplume. Did she even have a Sneasel?

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Rudoku posted:

That was just something she made up on the spot to explain why she didn't have a Tyranitar on her supposed Dark type team, but kept that Vileplume. Did she even have a Sneasel?

Nope. Just Murkrow, Umbreon, and lastly Houndoom as her sig.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

LightningKimba posted:

You can like non-competitive Pokémon. It's really not a big deal and there's a lot of the dang monsters. It only becomes an issue when you think, say, Glalie is going to win you any battles. Sure you can hype up how you used it as a Baton Passer and it totally destroyed your friend's Garchomp, but you also cannot ignore its flaws as a Pokémon, such as its all 80 stats. Obviously, the inverse is true as well. :v:

I still think it's a horrible shame that Glalie is poo poo. I mean look at it, it's a frozen demon mask, it looks awesome!

It's really the biggest negative about the bad Ice types: They can have such great designs, and they go to waste because they're rubbish.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So four bad pokemon and Gengar :colbert:

:hfive:

Gengar is so good: Z2QG-WWW-WWW6-GUAN

I lead with him more often than not on my doubles team.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

So did I get it right you have to learn king's shield from the relearner? Cause that's bullshit if true.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Icy Penguigo posted:

Its hidden ability is Snow Warning, which is a great ability. Aurorus' real problem is that it might have the worst defensive typing in the entire game (not even an exaggeration) and an extraordinarily lame stat distribution.

There's no "might" about it. Ice/Rock is the absolute worst defensive typing possible (for the record, Fairy/Steel is the best). Unfortunately, in-keeping with Gamefreak's usual "opposite" approach to mutually exclusive pokemon, Aurorus was forced into the role of a slow, pseudo special sponge to contrast Tyrantrum being a physical destroyer (not that he's all that great at that, but still). Which means that great potential for attacking and ability is almost completely wasted on the frozen sauropod.

Gamefreak really needs somebody who thinks less about being cute or "thematic" and more about how things actually function in game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

TheSpiritFox posted:

So did I get it right you have to learn king's shield from the relearner? Cause that's bullshit if true.

If I recall you get to learn it when you evolve Aegislash.

Or maybe it's that you get to to learn it if you evolve Aegislash at exactly the first chance you can (so, the level Honedge evolves into Doublade). I definitely remember getting the chance to learn it.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Amperor posted:

That line always struck to me as the kind of stuff an angry teen would say after losing in an online game.
"Good pokemons are op, pls nerf"

Geostomp posted:

There's no "might" about it. Ice/Rock is the absolute worst defensive typing possible (for the record, Fairy/Steel is the best). Unfortunately, in-keeping with Gamefreak's usual "opposite" approach to mutually exclusive pokemon, Aurorus was forced into the role of a slow, pseudo special sponge to contrast Tyrantrum being a physical destroyer (not that he's all that great at that, but still). Which means that great potential for attacking and ability is almost completely wasted on the frozen sauropod.

Gamefreak really needs somebody who thinks less about being cute or "thematic" and more about how things actually function in game.

Gamefreak approach to competitive is making GBS threads out a bunch of pokemons and see which ones stick, then tell you to play doubles because totally everyone likes doubles and why would you play anything else but doubles.

qnqnx fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 8, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Given how terrible Game Freak is at balancing things I wouldn't be surprised if they believed that line wholeheartedly.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

qnqnx posted:

That line always struck to me as the kind of stuff an angry teen would say after losing in an online game.
"Good pokemons are op, pls nerf"

To me it comes off more as :smug: "heh, real Pokemon masters don't need to use good Pokemon, you scrub."
:goonsay:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Isn't Abomasnow worse off than Aurorus? It gets 7 weaknesses to Aurorus' 6 and the same number of resistances.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Pureauthor posted:

Isn't Abomasnow worse off than Aurorus? It gets 7 weaknesses to Aurorus' 6 and the same number of resistances.

4x to Mach Punch is a huge issue.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

Aurorus has a second 4x weakness and Abomasnow's resistances and weaknesses are arguably better distributed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nippon nifties posted:

Beedrill isn't completely useless, just mostly useless. On the other hand, if you like Unown you're poo poo out of luck. There's very few Pokemon that are straight-up unusable, but there's definitely a few, and they make pretty clear that Gamefreak isn't really aiming to make all seven hundred of the virtual pets in their monster training game equally competitively viable, especially since Pokemon Amie has finally managed to make the "playing with adorable pets" aspect actually good. Glaceon may have just enough speed to be impossible to use in singles, but it and Sylveon are the most adorable Eeveelutions, so you can pet those two and fight with the other six.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Cleretic posted:

If I recall you get to learn it when you evolve Aegislash.

Or maybe it's that you get to to learn it if you evolve Aegislash at exactly the first chance you can (so, the level Honedge evolves into Doublade). I definitely remember getting the chance to learn it.

That can't be right because you don't learn sacred sword until 51 as honedge and you don't learn it at all if you stone up before that. I read that you learn it if you evolve after you learn sacred sword you will learn king's shield, but that didn't happen. Leveled him to 60 and still nothing. All the move charts show kings shield being a level 1 learned move.

Anyone know? The Internet is full of contradictory info and this guy is so popular I have no idea how this seems to be a mystery.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Beedrill isn't completely useless, just mostly useless. On the other hand, if you like Unown you're poo poo out of luck. There's very few Pokemon that are straight-up unusable, but there's definitely a few, and they make pretty clear that Gamefreak isn't really aiming to make all seven hundred of the virtual pets in their monster training game equally competitively viable, especially since Pokemon Amie has finally managed to make the "playing with adorable pets" aspect actually good. Glaceon may have just enough speed to be impossible to use in singles, but it and Sylveon are the most adorable Eeveelutions, so you can pet those two and fight with the other six.

Except why the hell wouldn't you want to fight with Sylveon when it's got one of the best typings, awesome SpDef and great SpAtk.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Serebii says Aegislash learns zero moves, but Sacred Sword and King's Shield are both relearnable. I'd go with that.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Crap then, I'm in the process of getting lumiose turned back on, gotta wait.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Lets talk about Venoshock/Hex type teams.

I like the concept, and I'd like to play it in doubles, but I'm not sure if the strategy can make the transition from singles.

Most of the advice I'm seeing online starts with Toxic Spikes and a spinblocker, but as I understand it, those don't work very well in doubles.

Is there an alternative to using Toxic on things? Does there need to be?

What are some other issues with this strategy that might come up in doubles that I should be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

My understanding of Doubles, particularly VGC Doubles, is that the game typically moves too fast to bother with setting up so entrance hazards like Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock really is just a non-damaging turn for your opponent to set up/attack you.

I mean on a team of 4v4 Doubles, you set up Toxic Spikes, and typically you'll be lucky if you're able to poison 2 and that's assuming you either take down the first pair of Pokemon or force a switch. And they'd avoid it if it is Flying/Poison/Steel or Levitating. Or you could use Gravity to TS the Flyers but then that's ANOTHER set up turn.

Poisoning people via Toxic/TS is great if you are stalling and the damage increases over time while you're able to take the hits and heal yourself and all that jazz but that is so much easier to do in Singles rather than Doubles.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 8, 2014

• Locked thread