Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was sure Rick's "moment of humanity" was going to be ripping up the Morty Voucher when Morty wasn't looking, a la killing the jellybean molester.

I was also sure that Doc and Mharti would show up in the background.

I guess what I'm saying is that was an amazing episode but I don't know how to feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
That ending reveal. :drat:

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

This seems like the part 1 to a later episode, specifically with the way the Eyepatch Morty reveal changed it up and created unanswered questions, though maybe it explained some things better. (Not that the next episode will necessarily or even likely be a part 2. One down the line maybe.) I'm not sure if the brain download bit works better with a Rick doing it or Eyepatch Morty doing it, though there's plenty of reason for Eyepatch Morty to do it. Particularly research on "our" Rick's relationship with his Morty, but also maybe to get more Rick science knowhow if his own Rick can't be mined for it for some reason. Still, I think Eyepatch Morty's plan, to the extent it's even revealed, is more Morty-centric ultimately. He almost certainly hates the subservient Morties that are in the shield, which is why or part of why he has them there being tortured. Why he needs a shield when it's for shielding Ricks not Morties I'm not 100% sure, but I now guess it's because he uses (used) that Rick as cover to work through and then needed a camo-shield for that Rick. More importantly, Eyepatch Morty seems to be collecting Morties to try to find a Morty similar to him by seeing if another Morty will rise up against a Rick and/or to find the One True Morty, and those two are quite likely the same thing.

I don't think Eyepatch Morty is an actual genius, just that he uses Rick technology. I do think that the bit about Prime-Show-Rick and that Rick being similar is true, which is why Eyepatch Morty thinks the Morty (almost the) most similar to him would go with the Rick (almost the) most similar to his own Rick. Also, either the "I'll tell you when you're older" bit was a joke I tried and just failed to get or there's actually more to it than we know at this point.

Wow, that episode was dense with material (and humor) in a positive sense of "dense." I was a bit let down by the devil episode personally, but this one proved the show's still great. It's good to know I don't have to worry every time I don't especially like a given episode.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Couldn't remote control eye patch Morty actually be the "one Morty to rule them all" and he had to get all the Morty's together to defeat that Rick, being the only way to free himself.

I think Rick not ripping up the coupon is totally a Rick move. He still cares about Morty, but hey, gotta move on if something happens, life is pointless after all and you don't pass up an extra Morty.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Couldn't remote control eye patch Morty actually be the "one Morty to rule them all" and he had to get all the Morty's together to defeat that Rick, being the only way to free himself.

I think Rick not ripping up the coupon is totally a Rick move. He still cares about Morty, but hey, gotta move on if something happens, life is pointless after all and you don't pass up an extra Morty.

Don't think about it.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

TontoCorazon posted:

Don't think about it.

Just biding time until I can GET RIGGITY RI*URRP* IGGTY WRECKED

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Five Mortys and some jumper cables will hide a Rick, but I guess you need something more sophisticated to hide a Rick and an Evil Genius Morty.

Stormy the Rabbit
Sep 16, 2008

5 more minutes of this and I'm gonna get mad!

Sorry for the lovely looping, I'm an idiot.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Apparently this was the crew gift for season one:

Did you get one Typical?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
must have Council of Ricks badge

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This loving show. I loved how all the Ricks kept doting over Beth.

Stormy the Rabbit
Sep 16, 2008

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the episode summed up in two gifs. One is absolutely disturbing and the other is very sweet and moving.

This is the best show.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

OmegaBR posted:

Apparently this was the crew gift for season one:

Did you get one Typical?

yeah I did, but I lost it at the premiere party.

Also I had the honor of coloring like a 175 mortys for this episode. Jason started it. but I took over to add in all the little blood and shines and shadows.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
Were the 27 Ricks murdered just those of the council? Clearly more than 27 Mortys were kidnapped. Also, is C137 Rick's resident or origin dimension? So many questions!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

say no to scurvy posted:

Were the 27 Ricks murdered just those of the council? Clearly more than 27 Mortys were kidnapped. Also, is C137 Rick's resident or origin dimension? So many questions!
They were just various Ricks that were on the Evil Spectrum, including The Artist Formerly Known As Rick. Also I presume that C137 is Rick's resident dimension and he's keeping his story straight whenever he mentions it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Typical posted:

yeah I did, but I lost it at the premiere party.

Also I had the honor of coloring like a 175 mortys for this episode. Jason started it. but I took over to add in all the little blood and shines and shadows.

How do you color a shot that's supposed to be animated? Or do you just color the background and the animation department goes from there?

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

How do you color a shot that's supposed to be animated? Or do you just color the background and the animation department goes from there?

The shots we color are just keys for the animators to reference when they do their thing. Design is split from animation in modern studios. it can be done for cheaper over seas. Its been this way since the 70's I think

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I see, that's what I kinda thought. But for some reason my young mind way back in 2004 interpreted Rikki Simmons's talk from Zim as though he colored every shot or something. (I'm sure he was loving around, as they did on those commentaries) I never really looked it up, but I assumed it was wrong later on.

Thanks though!

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 8, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If you thought the premise was cool and would like to listen to or read something similar, check out "Waiting for a Me Like You" by Chris Willrich. It is friggin' awesome.

http://www.starshipsofa.com/blog/2013/04/03/starshipsofa-no-283-chris-willrich/

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

I see, that's what I kinda thought. But for some reason my young mind way back in 2004 interpreted Rikki Simmons's talk from Zim as though he colored every shot or something. (I'm sure he was loving around, as they did on those commentaries) I never really looked it up, but I assumed it was wrong later on.

Thanks though!

People on behind-the-scenes stuff for animated shows really tiptoe around the fact that the actual animation is done by a completely different company in a completely different country. It was really funny watching the behind-the-scenes bonus feature for Batman the Animated Series and having them give a big talk about the quality and critical acclaim of the show's animation without mentioning the fact that none of them actually animated poo poo and it was the outsourced animators who were lovingly airbrushing every frame of Mr. Freeze's helmet or Clayface's changing faces.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

I guess I always thought from that one quote that Rick dissapeared completely from Beth's life until a year ago. So when they show that shot of Rick holding baby Morty I thought maybe he was from a universe where he stuck around. But I guess it's just as likely that he dropped in and out and only came to live with them a year ago.

Joust fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 8, 2014

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the best parts of R&M's writing is the sort of metafiction-y self-aware stuff that gets put in. Like the Ricks drawing the red Xes on their foreheads, or the line about the space depot just happening to have lab coats and shirts. Reminds me a little bit of pre-decline The Simpsons.

Joust posted:

I guess always thought from that one quote that Rik dissapeared completely from Beth's life until a year ago. So when they show that shot of Rik holding baby Morty I thought maybe he was from a universe where he stuck around. But I guess it's just as likely that he dropped in and out and only came to live with them a year ago.

It's just as likely it's a 'Morty was temporarily de-aged" joke.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

People on behind-the-scenes stuff for animated shows really tiptoe around the fact that the actual animation is done by a completely different company in a completely different country. It was really funny watching the behind-the-scenes bonus feature for Batman the Animated Series and having them give a big talk about the quality and critical acclaim of the show's animation without mentioning the fact that none of them actually animated poo poo and it was the outsourced animators who were lovingly airbrushing every frame of Mr. Freeze's helmet or Clayface's changing faces.

over seas studios are never quite as good as what you want them to be. And most studios revise all the animation that comes back. for GI Jeff, we had to do it mostly by ourselves. And for that episode, I drew and colored everything for my own shots.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Insect Court posted:

It's just as likely it's a 'Morty was temporarily de-aged" joke.

Nah. The show would be undercutting it's best emotional moment with something like that. I can buy Rick stopping in and seeing little Morty, and then leaving again for 14 or so years.

Stormy the Rabbit
Sep 16, 2008

"A cocky Morty can lead to some big problems, can be a real bad thing for everybody... I'll explain when you're older."

Did our Rick have some sort of past relationship with evil Morty?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Insect Court posted:

One of the best parts of R&M's writing is the sort of metafiction-y self-aware stuff that gets put in. Like the Ricks drawing the red Xes on their foreheads, or the line about the space depot just happening to have lab coats and shirts. Reminds me a little bit of pre-decline The Simpsons.

Or Morty pointing out that Rick missed a chance at a character arc.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

CelticPredator posted:

This is the episode summed up in two gifs. One is absolutely disturbing and the other is very sweet and moving.

This is the best show.

The second one is disturbing, too. What with the giant monster and giving Morty the Cronenberg vial.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

"A cocky Morty can lead to some big problems, can be a real bad thing for everybody... I'll explain when you're older."

Did our Rick have some sort of past relationship with evil Morty?

That quote seems to fuel the "Rick is an older Morty" theory. Which has been seemingly discredited with episodes like these, but if they can pull something this crazy off....

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Catching up on episode 9 and 10 tonight.

I'm sure it's been noted earlier in the thread, but I had a good chuckle at seeing Rick watching some good ol' Ball Fondlers on the interdimensional TV towards the end, when Summer comes in to talk about being Zuckerberg'd by the devil. Nice subtle callback.

Also, right after that, Rick's whispering the idea to Summer which consisted of "Jibba Jabba" over and over again was awesome.

Damo fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 8, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This show is better than the best of the Simpsons or Futurama. It's amazing.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I wouldn't have said they avoided the issue. The commentaries for Batman: TAS go into detail about contributions the various overseas studios made to their episodes, good and bad (usually TMS and Spectrum Animation = outstanding, AKOM = terrible).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So when Robo Rick had Rick tied down and was extracting his memories one of them was of Rick banging some chick. I don't remember where in the timeline it was but could that have been Beth's mom?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

So when Robo Rick had Rick tied down and was extracting his memories one of them was of Rick banging some chick. I don't remember where in the timeline it was but could that have been Beth's mom?

The one where later the same chick had a Freudian tentacle mouth vagina face with a single eyeball?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Eifert Posting posted:

The one where later the same chick had a Freudian tentacle mouth vagina face with a single eyeball?

Probably some kind of lizard.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Eifert Posting posted:

Doesn't disqualify my question. :colbert:

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Fantastic episode, but I wish they'd give Beth a B-story instead of it being Jerry all the time. She sounds like a much more interesting character.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I don't know what you're talking about, Jerry's B-stories are always hilarious

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Castle Radium posted:

I wouldn't have said they avoided the issue. The commentaries for Batman: TAS go into detail about contributions the various overseas studios made to their episodes, good and bad (usually TMS and Spectrum Animation = outstanding, AKOM = terrible).
Yeah I was gonna say, they talk about it a whole lot in BTAS and Batman Beyond commentaries, just mostly not in the early seasons (they hated Koko Studios). Hell that's part of the reason they redesigned the Joker, because the studios kept screwing it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

SlipkPIe posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, Jerry's B-stories are always hilarious

Most of them have been great, but "Jerry is a loser" is getting pretty worn out at this point. But it isn't really that his stories are bad at all, it's just that he's already gotten plenty of them, while we've seen very little of Beth.

• Locked thread