Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Victorkm posted:

The ship screen says mission complete from the moment I start the mission.

You're just that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

How the heck do I use beam weapons in FTL? It says to tap and drag to draw a target path, and I do that... and nothing happens :confused: I know I have the weapons selected, it says 'auto paused for targeting' while I draw the line.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TACD posted:

How the heck do I use beam weapons in FTL? It says to tap and drag to draw a target path, and I do that... and nothing happens :confused: I know I have the weapons selected, it says 'auto paused for targeting' while I draw the line.

They don't go through shields normally, so it may just be bouncing off.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

TACD posted:

I've had some issues with this too where sometimes it doesn't seem to register. I recommend pausing the game first, then trying it so you don't get screwed on timing if it doesn't happen.

Also, try doing it on either autofire or queuing up the attack before the beam weapon is ready. If you got it to accept the command either the yellow or red line will remain hovering on screen.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

PFlats posted:

Developers just send review sites free iPads as "media outreach"? :raise:

Yeah, iPod touches were way more common before they started falling behind in spec so much.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ZerodotJander posted:

Also, try doing it on either autofire or queuing up the attack before the beam weapon is ready. If you got it to accept the command either the yellow or red line will remain hovering on screen.
I never even saw a line, so I'm pretty sure it must have been a bug - had the game paused, tapped the beam weapon icon so it went green, but dragging a line over the enemy ship just highlighted each room as I passed over it and did nothing other than deselect the weapon when I released.

Thanks for the info :)

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I got one of the first pieces of stock in electrium, whoever owns THWMP broke $5000 a little while ago. I have to agree its kinda annoying I can't cue up a few runs though, I definitely don't use my phone enough to play every 3 minutes but it's otherwise fun.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Electrium looks neat but almost immediately running into a 30 minute timer sucks.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

TACD posted:

ZerodotJander posted:

sometimes it doesn't seem to register

All weapon commands have to be used on a room (beams are to 'start' in a room). Tapping outside cancels which is what you guys are doing. Your fat fingers are too fat and you're just missing the room.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I got one of the first pieces of stock in electrium, whoever owns THWMP broke $5000 a little while ago. I have to agree its kinda annoying I can't cue up a few runs though, I definitely don't use my phone enough to play every 3 minutes but it's otherwise fun.

I'll take this feedback seriously and see what I can do to shape the jobs. A question, if you don't mind answering... A game like Tiny Tower, if you ever played it, had things completing all the time. Some things only took a few minutes and you could basically have something finish every minute or two (and have to complete it). Is Electrium a game thats different in which you'd like to play the ship game on auto-pilot?

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Zigmidge posted:

All weapon commands have to be used on a room (beams are to 'start' in a room). Tapping outside cancels which is what you guys are doing. Your fat fingers are too fat and you're just missing the room.

It tends to happen to me when I'm trying to start the line on the very edge of a room so I can reach another room farther away for MAX DAMAGE so that makes sense.

Do beams only damage crew if the line goes right over their sprite? That's definitely how the bio beam works, not sure for other beams.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I'm trying to finish up some old games to clear space on my ipad and now Might&Magic Clash of Heroes crashes out every time I try and load my campaign. Anyone know anything about this, or any way to resolve it? If I have to start over, I'll be kinda pissed.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

FlashBangBob posted:

I'll take this feedback seriously and see what I can do to shape the jobs. A question, if you don't mind answering... A game like Tiny Tower, if you ever played it, had things completing all the time. Some things only took a few minutes and you could basically have something finish every minute or two (and have to complete it). Is Electrium a game thats different in which you'd like to play the ship game on auto-pilot?

that got really irritating in tiny tower too imo. I eventually got to a point where I would ignore the fast timers entirely

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Man, I have to go to bed and am gonna lose my #2 spot on the Electirium leaderboards :qq:

At least I got my way into the stock market.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

FlashBangBob posted:

In tiny tower restock timers are proportional to floor sell time. Mining with the ship is really restocking your cache of material that you'll eventually refine imo. I would have them either be more equal in time or actually frontload the harvesting (maybe make it so you can queue a ship to fill up so harvest time is more equal to refining time).

Why isn't refining a separate function on some kind of factory page? Also most game tutorials will give you a full experience before kicking you loose. In timer games they tend to discount or bullshit the first long process timer. It's be nice if you start with the material to build a ship and your first load of rock was refined for a discount.

If there was a factory you could potentially manufacture goods with it at a later date to diversify the different amounts of competition in the market. Right now with rock products set at random values what anyone competes in seems similarly random. Maybe electricum is the actual solution to both of these last suggestions (haven't got there yet).

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
If any of you guys are having issues with overall FTL strategy/tactics, here's a run I streamed today where I made it to the second phase of the end boss with the starter ship. I talk through all the decisions I make, so, if you're in to this kind of thing-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMPBtOLnP0s&hd=1

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Pan Ache posted:

In tiny tower restock timers are proportional to floor sell time. Mining with the ship is really restocking your cache of material that you'll eventually refine imo. I would have them either be more equal in time or actually frontload the harvesting (maybe make it so you can queue a ship to fill up so harvest time is more equal to refining time).

Why isn't refining a separate function on some kind of factory page? Also most game tutorials will give you a full experience before kicking you loose. In timer games they tend to discount or bullshit the first long process timer. It's be nice if you start with the material to build a ship and your first load of rock was refined for a discount.

If there was a factory you could potentially manufacture goods with it at a later date to diversify the different amounts of competition in the market. Right now with rock products set at random values what anyone competes in seems similarly random. Maybe electricum is the actual solution to both of these last suggestions (haven't got there yet).

There's a lot here, let me see if I can respond to most of these.

1) I think that the mining/collecting job will change a bit once I figure out exactly I want it to work. I feel there should be a slight penalty for letting the game do work for you in the background. Maybe you can queue up the mining jobs, but if one mine takes say 5 minutes, 4 mining jobs will take an 45 minutes, or something.
2) The help pages you experienced when you first loaded were the tutorial (albeit not the best). There's two steps that it tells you to do (select the Ships tab at the bottom, and the add a ship + icon on the ships list). The game starts you off with enough resources to build your second ship immediately. That second ship only takes 1 minute to build. The game also doesn't let you do some core things to prevent you from killing your start (like you can't sell items on the market until you have ship #2).
3) Electrium is meant to be a "Tier 2" element. It balances out the other four.
4) While the ships generate resources equally randomly for everyone, *playing* the market is not about the resources your ships generate. At a certain point (which most people have not reached yet), your ships are feeding you resources, which you normally immediately sell and you are using the money to buy undervalued elements in the hopes they go up in price. At some points during testing I was running with 9,500 Sodalt and 0 of the other elements. Sodalt was undervalued and I was hoping to ride the tide.

By the way I like the idea someone had about creating "news" events which caused large fluctuations in specific element prices. Most likely a feature to be developed soon.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 8, 2014

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

So in Electrium I'm unable to move the sliders to buy and sell ores. They're stuck at 0. I have enough cash, am I missing something?

The slider to bid on stock is stuck at 0 as well?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How do I change my company name or whatever in electrium?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I played a ton of FTL when it first came out on PC, unlocking everything sans the crystal ship, and winning frequently on Normal, but goddamn I can't seem to get past the Engi ships on Easy this time around. I always lose a shitload of scrap to missile hits early on before I can upgrade my engines enough, and battles take like 2x longer than with the Kestrel so I just end up losing to attrition over time anyway. It also kinda sucks that Hacking seems like a natural combo with offensive drones (take out Shields or Drones if they have anti-drone-drones) but causes me to use up drone parts even faster than normal unless I luck into the Arm. I guess I am still shaking the cobwebs off, and the new systems and such add more variance to the game, but jesus I am getting stomped so early it is embarrassing. I got to the end boss once at least, but couldn't even penetrate the shields on the first phase due to being too defensive :sigh:

EDIT: I can't remember, do enemies run out of rockets if you fight them long enough? This isn't really related to anything, I just can't remember. I'd also like to chime in that I think scrap rewards for winning with an intact enemy ship have been reduced, but you can still get the occasional bonus goodie of crew member or weapons, so it is still worth it, just not overwhelmingly so like before. Or I am wrong, I am not being scientific about it at all.

EDIT EDIT: The Chain weapons are super fun, by the way. Using just a Chain Laser and Chain Vulcan I quickly destroyed the end boss after taking out the crew minus one like the good old days.

(Also added spoiler tags since it seems like a lot of people are first time players, sorry!)

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 8, 2014

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

So in electrium what's the motivation for the company on the market to perform? Increasing or decreasing your net worth seems dependent mostly on sales on the materials market.

If it largely benefits you to sell when raw material pricing is good a firm doing that might have limited incentive to sell their stock in the 24 hrs a shareholder has to collect. In fact right now when it's likely just competitor firms investing it might actually be worse to give them "free" money.

I haven't ipo'd yet but it doesn't seem like there's any benefit to a firm to have investors. One of the firms I bought stock for immediately took a -5% dive because he bought something or w/e.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Picked up Electrium and wrote a review. If you other goons like it write a review also!

E: Electrium*

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 8, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Locke Dunnegan posted:

words about the best ios game ever

Dude, none of this seems related to touch controls. This is a better place for that post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3469690

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I played a ton of FTL when it first came out on PC, unlocking everything sans the crystal ship, and winning frequently on Normal, but goddamn I can't seem to get past the Engi ships on Easy this time around. I always lose a shitload of scrap to missile hits early on before I can upgrade my engines enough, and battles take like 2x longer than with the Kestrel so I just end up losing to attrition over time anyway. It also kinda sucks that Hacking seems like a natural combo with offensive drones (take out Shields or Drones if they have anti-drone-drones) but causes me to use up drone parts even faster than normal unless I luck into the Arm. I guess I am still shaking the cobwebs off, and the new systems and such add more variance to the game, but jesus I am getting stomped so early it is embarrassing. I got to the end boss once at least, but couldn't even penetrate the shields on the first phase due to being too defensive :sigh:

EDIT: I can't remember, do enemies run out of rockets if you fight them long enough? This isn't really related to anything, I just can't remember. I'd also like to chime in that I think scrap rewards for winning with an intact enemy ship have been reduced, but you can still get the occasional bonus goodie of crew member or weapons, so it is still worth it, just not overwhelmingly so like before. Or I am wrong, I am not being scientific about it at all.

EDIT EDIT: The Chain weapons are super fun, by the way. Using just a Chain Laser and Chain Vulcan I quickly destroyed the end boss after taking out the crew minus one like the good old days.

(Also added spoiler tags since it seems like a lot of people are first time players, sorry!)
Before the advanced update hit, you could see enemy ships run out of missiles. Unfortunately sometimes they have upwards a dozen or more. You can see this happen easily if you have ship defense drones shooting them down. Post advanced update, or in advanced mode, I haven't tested it. Also with respect to the end boss- I don't think it can run out of missiles as it tends to be exempt from most rules- its 2nd phase drone rush and 3rd phase regenerating zoltan shield and laser rush are great examples.

I'd suggest playing through easy with advanced mode off to do all your unlocks, and to shake the rust off, and then phase back up to where you were. Advanced mode slides the difficulty up. Also remember that now manning sensors and doors gives them an effective upgrade, and that stores often have 2 pages of equipment so saving your scrap for them makes more sense now.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Zigmidge posted:

Dude, none of this seems related to touch controls. This is a better place for that post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3469690

While your tone is harsh, thanks for pointing out that the game has its own thread, that will help! I will check it out.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Vulgar posted:

So in Electrium I'm unable to move the sliders to buy and sell ores. They're stuck at 0. I have enough cash, am I missing something?

The slider to bid on stock is stuck at 0 as well?

You probably do not have any cash on hand. You're, most likely, looking at your total worth and thinking thats how much spending money you have, which is not the case.

Javid posted:

How do I change my company name or whatever in electrium?

You can't change your company's name or ticker. The reason is mostly that other players need to semi-remember you for stock bidding and performance.

Pan Ache posted:

So in electrium what's the motivation for the company on the market to perform? Increasing or decreasing your net worth seems dependent mostly on sales on the materials market.

If it largely benefits you to sell when raw material pricing is good a firm doing that might have limited incentive to sell their stock in the 24 hrs a shareholder has to collect. In fact right now when it's likely just competitor firms investing it might actually be worse to give them "free" money.

I haven't ipo'd yet but it doesn't seem like there's any benefit to a firm to have investors. One of the firms I bought stock for immediately took a -5% dive because he bought something or w/e.

This was my concern when I was planning out the stock market for this game. What it boils down to is this: You can run your company how you want. If you think your compeditors will be profiting off your work, in most cases, you will be profiting off your own work and their work too. On that topic, you won't know which people own you, and its going to look REALLY bad at the next time people are buying your stock when it shows your total worth took at 20% poo poo.

Someone who owns your stock can only lose the amount they bid. No matter how much you try to tank your total worth, its no different to an owner if you lost $10K of worth vs $10. In addition, you can bid on your own stock. So, you can actually double dip. (I really wanted to force companies to take ownership in themselves, but it didn't work out).

Finally, the leaderboards will eventually be, by default, based on your stock price (which is the minimum winning bid from your last stock sale) in addition to total worth.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 8, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Locke Dunnegan posted:

While your tone is harsh, thanks for pointing out that the game has its own thread, that will help! I will check it out.

Sorry, I figure I demand other people move their stupid freemium game chat to their own threads enough here that I should encourage it for chatter I'm involved in.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I played a ton of FTL when it first came out on PC, unlocking everything sans the crystal ship, and winning frequently on Normal, but goddamn I can't seem to get past the Engi ships on Easy this time around.
It's been a long time - what's your strategy? I'm focusing on getting level 3 shields by mid-map, and level 4 engines. I get nailed every time by borders. I pretty much ignore the weapons - unless I salvage something I don't buy anything. I've made one run to the end, only to be defeated by the 2nd boss encounter. I'd be interested in your strategy tips. Should I abandon the Kestrel now?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The total momentum halt you experience around level 14 with stone production/acquisition pretty much ended my desire to play Boom Beach anymore.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Feenix posted:

The total momentum halt you experience around level 14 with stone production/acquisition pretty much ended my desire to play Boom Beach anymore.

Welcome to practically every "Freemium" game on iOS. Time to move on to the next Thing!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bvoid posted:

Welcome to practically every "Freemium" game on iOS. Time to move on to the next Thing!

Yes, I'm not new to the experience. Just stating that it was actually pretty good for a decent while of regular playing before driving off a cliff. (unless I am missing something about getting Stone.) I have a Quarry, I raid other places. But my next upgrade (and there are several that require lots of Stone) is 3500, and I have... oh... 700. And Raids on other islands net me about 250. It's just a different, slower tone than the game had for the prior week of frequent playing.
Oh well, no love lost, no money spent.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

bvoid posted:

I can't even get short-term enjoyment of a game like that, because I'll just be wondering where that wall is, or thinking about how things could have been structured differently if it weren't a free to play game.

I mean, I don't even like rpg-style experience systems in most games (ie I'd like Call of Duty a lot more if you could just use all the weapons right out of the gate), so I'm probably on the extreme end of aversion to having things gradually doled out. But actually having some monetization scheme directly impact the gameplay experience just takes me out of it completely.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Feenix posted:

I got to level 18, but funnily enough the stone wasn't the issue, it was the complete brick wall I encountered with defenses. At one point I had nine enemy bases available to me, all players between 22-25 (and that's after re-rolling several of them) and all of them had defenses that were just completely impenetrable. I was running 6 heavies and 10 zookas as the most effective team, and they would just get splattered on most defenses. After throwing troops at stuff for a couple of hours, I just deleted it.

As you say, at least I didn't spend any money on it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bubbapook posted:

I got to level 18, but funnily enough the stone wasn't the issue, it was the complete brick wall I encountered with defenses. At one point I had nine enemy bases available to me, all players between 22-25 (and that's after re-rolling several of them) and all of them had defenses that were just completely impenetrable. I was running 6 heavies and 10 zookas as the most effective team, and they would just get splattered on most defenses. After throwing troops at stuff for a couple of hours, I just deleted it.

I was wondering the same thing with regards to impenetrable defenses.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I mentioned before, when Boom Beach was coming out in the US, that the biggest turn off was that well placed defenses *always* beat out equal or slightly greater offensive fire power. It was the reason why I stopped playing when it was Canada only. It was like playing a risk game but the other guy always had 3 dice and you only had 2 (and tie always went to the other guy :()

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Freemium games are designed to be disposable trash, and that's the only way to treat them. Use it for a couple of days and toss it aside without a second thought.

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Electrium dev, I would like to suggest the ability to either sell ships or just get rid of them. I'm not very happy with my current fleet configuration and would live to be able to swap ships out

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Vulgar posted:

Electrium dev, I would like to suggest the ability to either sell ships or just get rid of them. I'm not very happy with my current fleet configuration and would live to be able to swap ships out

Yeah I agree with this as well. I really like the game, but like others have mentioned it might be nice to queue up common tasks (like a "mine until full" type deal). It might be nice to upgrade your "HQ" as well, and maybe tie that in? So for a boatload of minerals/etc you expand HQ and that enables you to queue up x number of actions. Further upgrades allow for more convenience, and so on.

e: This sounded annoyingly "ideas guy"-ish. The game is pretty enjoyable as is!

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

bubbapook posted:

The next winning strategy is to sneak warriors up to hq via smoke and try to 3-4 shot the base before it ices your warriors.

Being able to reconfig your fleet in electrium would be nice. I'm considering just specializing in base element mining mostly because I can't compare efficiency to mining my own electrium. But if that fails the whole firm will be bottlenecked.

Having the possibility to specialize in one form of prod once the market's prices are tipped more by users would be cool but is currently a gamble.

CatelynIsAZombie fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vulgar posted:

In addition, can we have the ability to dial in specific amounts of items to buy/sell or amount of money to spend on shares of a company? I have a fairly large amount of cash on hand at the moment and buying shares is incredibly frustrating.

• Locked thread