Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I need a definitive answer; Is the VL Calais a good car or do people just like it ironically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

animeliker posted:

I need a definitive answer; Is the VL Calais a good car or do people just like it ironically?

It's certainly good compared to what came before and after.

I guess it's like those US turbo Buicks - you can get big power relatively easily

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The RB30 was a solid mill*, but the main reason it's so well regarded is because it replaced the hopelessly obsolete 202, and was a better motor than the still-carburettor 250 in the Falcon of the day.

If you're looking for a project, sure. DD? There have been better, cheaper and more abundant cars made in the intervening 25 years.

*: A few skyline guys run the RB30 because it takes boost like a champ.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I live nowhere near Australia or NZ so I can't obtain one easily; I just like the way they look (the Calais in particular) but they have this reputation on the internet of being a "Bogan" car.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Every falcon since the AU has used the AU body shell. The more you know.

Go out in the street and check, if you don't believe me.

No it hasn't. It ended with the introduction of the FG in 2008.

AU

BA/BF (still using AU)

FG Falcon (completely new)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

edit: ^^^^^^^huh, I was certain they were the same. Googling doesn't show anything one way or the other, but just by looking at them you appear to be correct.

Calais was pretty much just a trim spec for the VL commy, everything is interchangeable and they were mechanically identical. The VL has the distinction of being the only nissan-powered commodore; the predecessor was the terrible 202 as IPCRESS said, the successor was the humdrum GM 3800. For that reason alone they're somewhat more sought-after than the models immediately before and after.

I had a mate with a hosed old VL that he ragged on mercilessly. Eventually that car got an LSD+disc rear axle, manual trans and an RB25DET. They aren't bad, I guess, if you like cheap GM cars. Very rugged yet poorly made.

All commodores are bogan cars, it's just a matter of time before the price of any given generation sinks to an affordable level for the average bogan. Ditto falcons.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 5, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

go_banana posted:

No it hasn't. It ended with the introduction of the FG in 2008.

AU

BA/BF (still using AU)

FG Falcon (completely new)

The FG unibody looks just the same as the other two, just with a different front fascia bolted on, to me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It is technically all new - none of the panels will interchange any more.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Captain Trips posted:

I don't even know what's going on here. They're clearly going for the Herbie thing with the number and the (barely visible from this angle) racing stripes down the hood, but the number is the wrong one, and the checkered roof is just :wtc:

Plus, you know, it wasn't Herbie The Love Cooper.

You can order Minis from the factory with lots of different vinyl options. There's one parked on the street by me but the red on the Union Jack on the roof is all bleached from the sun.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Slavvy posted:

The aprilia SRV 850 is a significantly larger and more powerful scooter and costs even more than that. Not sure what your point is, maxi scooters are A Thing and have been for a long time.

I can't find it now, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a video of an old-school Vespa with a Ducati or Aprilia 750cc twin under the seat (as opposed to the one I can find, with a Gixxer 750 in the footwell, but that's more an under-framed motorcycle than an overpowered scooter. The one I remember had the engine in the proper place for a scooter, it just stuck out a bit. A very big bit.)

CharlesM posted:

You can order Minis from the factory with lots of different vinyl options. There's one parked on the street by me but the red on the Union Jack on the roof is all bleached from the sun.
Checkered-flag vinyl roof and stripes are factory options. The numbers might be, given Mini's marketing.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 5, 2014

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Spot the terrible:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That bolt is optional anyways.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

That bolt is optional anyways.

Technically every part of a car can be optional.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Technically every part of a car can be optional.
not really. If both wishbone bolts were missing, there would be a serious problem.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Slavvy posted:

It's a falcon.

:downs: I see that now. We don't get those over here in the states, so I thought it was an oval orgy taurus, as that's what it looks closest to.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Captain Trips posted:

I don't even know what's going on here. They're clearly going for the Herbie thing with the number and the (barely visible from this angle) racing stripes down the hood, but the number is the wrong one, and the checkered roof is just :wtc:

Plus, you know, it wasn't Herbie The Love Cooper.

This made me think to GIS for a Burberry mini cooper, which would belong in this thread. But instead I found this, which certainly does not.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
You mean the GLC's c(h)avalier?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

not really. If both wishbone bolts were missing, there would be a serious problem.

I said nothing about the car remaining safe or functional.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

CharlesM posted:

I think the fact that a German car has a factory option to put the British flag on its roof is a terrible car thing in and of itself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hikaki posted:

I think the fact that a German car has a factory option to put the British flag on its roof is a terrible car thing in and of itself.

Makes em easier to spot for the Stuka's to dive bomb them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Makes em easier to spot for the Stuka's to dive bomb them.

That would require modern-day Germany to make a Stuka equivalent that stays in the air until its first Service A appointment.

On the plus side the pilots will be comforted by rich leather and the finest plastic trim clips that money can buy on their way to the grave.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That would require modern-day Germany to make a Stuka equivalent that stays in the air until its first Service A appointment.

On the plus side the pilots will be comforted by rich leather and the finest plastic trim clips that money can buy on their way to the grave.

...into a tree...backwards...on fire...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

anonumos posted:

...into a tree...backwards...on fire...

Like there's any other way you'd want to go if you got to choose the method of conveyance :colbert:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I wish I could have taken a picture of it, but I saw a GT-R with the wost bodykit ever. It's like the guy just glued random bits of plastic on it. The front GT-R logo was a bright red and white glowing LED you could see from far away, that's what caught my eye.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It came from the hotel parking lot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Frinkahedron posted:

Yeah, this owns bones, though. :mexico:

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Looks pretty secure to me. I like the large appliance just hanging off the tailgate, with just some rope holding it on.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Blood Magnet posted:

Looks pretty secure to me. I like the large appliance just hanging off the tailgate, with just some rope holding it on.

I can't help but believe that, with the proper Tetris skills, all of that stuff could have been loaded safely.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Frinkahedron posted:

Hotel parking lot? There is no way this isn't owned by a pimp.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't help but believe that, with the proper Tetris skills, all of that stuff could have been loaded safely.

No way, when you're cruising neighborhoods on garbage day looking for scrap metal you don't got time to load it properly. Every second wasted is another second some other scrapper will have an opportunity to collect and that's lost wages man.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
One clever scrapper around here built this huge chain link cage around the bed of his truck so he can just chuck stuff in with wild abandon. It's the craziest looking thing full of scrap.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Blood Magnet posted:

I like how the rope is under a inclined tube frame that will help push it down out of the way of the other pieces.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think I found the owner.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Insert "keep_sharpies_away_from_mexicans.jpg" (on mobile or I'd do it)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

I think I found the owner.

I'm looking for a challenge, so I'd like to armwrestle this person.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cormorant posted:

I'm looking for a challenge, so I'd like to armwrestle this person.

It's likely her arm composition is 95% fat so unless you're a noodly-armed teen I doubt you'd have much trouble winning.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

88h88 posted:

It's likely her arm composition is 95% fat so unless you're a noodly-armed teen I doubt you'd have much trouble winning.

She still needs muscle to get all that mass moving.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nocheez posted:

She still needs muscle to get all that mass moving.

People shaped like that only have leg muscles. Arms don't require muscle to shovel food into your gaping maw. But it does take a lot of muscle to move that lumbering 350 pounds of fat around.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Blood Magnet posted:

Ooh they used rope! Fancy. Most of the small trucks overfilled with probably stolen bikes in SoCal just use good old gravity and the fact that there is so much intertwined metal that it if they did fall off they'd have to do it as one huge connected pile. Like a rat king of bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm loving this

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/vandals-target-smart-cars-san-francisco/nfTJb/