Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
My free meraki AP arrived and it makes me want to roll then out everywhere. Easiest poo poo ever.

What is Cisco ownership going to do to them though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Swink posted:

My free meraki AP arrived and it makes me want to roll then out everywhere. Easiest poo poo ever.

Well, they've owned them a while, so, nothing, as far as I can see.

We trialled the Meraki stuff too, but in the end, that poo poo is too expensive, and I have no love for the "cloud-based management" that requires a subscription.

Ubiquiti did a solid job for a cost that was vanishingly tiny in comparison. Although as anyone who has used Ubiquiti UniFi will know, the software install needs polishing. They also need to get a move on with the final version of UniFi 3.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

A user came in...

"I need a new gun! This one has a scratched lens and won't scan right! I've been here 12 years; I know when something's wrong!"

So, fine, I swap it out. That's policy. So I take a look at it. Hm, something's definitely up with the lens.

I grab one of my trust lens wipes. Swiff swiff. Huh. Screen looks fine now. I test it. Yeah, works fine.

I know it's a minor thing, but come on people.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm the only one on my team that has the guts to say "No. Use Helpdesk." when users try to report issues via Lync or my e-mailaddress or phone. Slowly I've learned users that they should not contact me directly, and until now contact attempts have been down to a minimum.

One of my coworkers is out sick, and now everyone who is used to just going directly to him is trying to contact me instead. Suddenly I have a ton of people I have never met or spoken to before writing me on Lync or email saying "halp, computer does not work".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Esser-Z posted:

A user came in...

"I need a new gun! This one has a scratched lens and won't scan right! I've been here 12 years; I know when something's wrong!"

So, fine, I swap it out. That's policy. So I take a look at it. Hm, something's definitely up with the lens.

I grab one of my trust lens wipes. Swiff swiff. Huh. Screen looks fine now. I test it. Yeah, works fine.

I know it's a minor thing, but come on people.

I dunno man, I'd kill for users that would come to me with problems that are dead simple to fix. On the other hand, if he was being a knob, I understand.

Also, I keep reading gun as you know, shooty guns. So I keep imagining you as some badass techie who occasionally fixes guns on the side or something.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

HalloKitty posted:

We trialled the Meraki stuff too, but in the end, that poo poo is too expensive, and I have no love for the "cloud-based management" that requires a subscription.

Ubiquiti did a solid job for a cost that was vanishingly tiny in comparison. Although as anyone who has used Ubiquiti UniFi will know, the software install needs polishing. They also need to get a move on with the final version of UniFi 3.

This is going to be my exact opinion when my Meraki arrives

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So I got a ticket but I don't know what the gently caress..

Each person in HR over the last few days has had their Outlook break. Sent emails would never go to their recipient, and then not show in Sent Items. Inbox wouldn't sync unless it was done manually. Accepted meetings wouldn't get added to calendar, etc. I would blow away their local OST file and then it would work. I haven't gotten calls from anyone except those in HR, but it could be that some people haven't noticed. Any ideas? I'm baffled. This is Outlook 2010 on Exchange 2010.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Not directly related to a ticket, but PLEASE patch your OpenSSL installs. Heartbleed is a nasty one. :(

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/critical-crypto-bug-in-openssl-opens-two-thirds-of-the-web-to-eavesdropping/

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

dogstile posted:

I dunno man, I'd kill for users that would come to me with problems that are dead simple to fix. On the other hand, if he was being a knob, I understand.

Also, I keep reading gun as you know, shooty guns. So I keep imagining you as some badass techie who occasionally fixes guns on the side or something.
Oh, it definitely makes for an easy job, but they were very much a douche about it. I did my usual polite "what exactly is it (not) doing?" thing and got a very huffy "I've been working here 12 years I know when something isn't right!"

The guns are lasers! Sadly, they're just the scanning type, not pew pew. Wireless terminals for warehouse work. I'm the main guy for them, checking them in and out and troubleshooting and generally making sure things aren't hosed up. My boss wants to get me doing more with the rest of the deparment, but it's slow going getting things set up.

On the other hand, my current situation means I mostly get paid to browse SA and occasionally put out a metaphorical fire, so!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 8, 2014

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

HalloKitty posted:

I have two of these things at home, and drat, they are such overkill for a home install.

My only issue is that you need to spend way too much money to get a 5ghz capable version, but with what I spent for 2 of these, its STILL far better than anything else i've bought for twice the price in consumerville.

I get around much of the install bullshit by just downloading the java bits and running it on a vm.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NerdsMcGee posted:

Not directly related to a ticket, but PLEASE patch your OpenSSL installs. Heartbleed is a nasty one. :(

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/critical-crypto-bug-in-openssl-opens-two-thirds-of-the-web-to-eavesdropping/

This. Not only patch your openssl but replace the certificate (generate a new private key and csr) and have your ssl vendor revoke the old certificate.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
This link has been going around work supposedly to test for Heartbleed; not sure if it's actually accurate: http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/#google.com

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

sfwarlock posted:

This link has been going around work supposedly to test for Heartbleed; not sure if it's actually accurate: http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/#google.com

SSL check which includes heartbleed

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/#facebook.com

:saddowns:

e: looks like they fixed it. I guess they can do something right after all.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 8, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
A speech impediment came in...

Exchange 2010 SP3 Unified Messaging was working great until HDAudio became a bad, bad thing.

Users who enunciate their "s"es are getting picked up by microphones and/or Lync phones with a slight whistle. When Exchange UM converts the audio as a greeting, the whistle comes out as a "sh".

"Thanksh for calling Bobsh Burgersh."

Record the greeting using garbage G711 over a cell phone or other phone system that doesn't do HDaudio/RTAudio, and it sounds fine. Don't enunciate your "s"es? You sound fine.

How in the gently caress am I going to fix this????

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You've unlocked Sean Connery mode

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Caged posted:

You've unlocked Sean Connery mode

Narrowing it down. It's not Lync. If I use a headset on a Lync phone/desktop that records at a lower frequency (i.e. "sounds like a telephone"), the VM greeting conversion sounds fine. It's absolutely UM desperately trying to convert a whistled "s" and failing.

I'm literally :psyduck:ing right now.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Put a digital signal processor that has a De-Esser in line?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
A ticket phone came in!

Back to an iPhone and new number but glad it is a 5c

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Had this ticket somehow come through us...since it was in a computer lab here it falls under our jurisdiction. Morning tech makes a sweep of the lab just to make sure everything is in order, finds a chair completely broken. We review security camera footage and find a few choice minutes of a morbidly obese student collapsing the chair in on itself after his girlfriend sits in his lap; they get up, walk around sheepishly and make a swift exit. We're just going to replace the chair and not do anything with the clients (we were able to snag their login info from the time stamp and that particular node they were logged in on) since, in our judgement, they must feel bad enough already. UPD (who must be called due to property destruction) is not forthcoming with the footage and has frowned upon "posting to youtube despite how funny it is" in their own words.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Widestancer posted:

UPD (who must be called due to property destruction) is not forthcoming with the footage and has frowned upon "posting to youtube despite how funny it is" in their own words.

That is pretty much standard for security footage. My old job had a few security cameras as we were right next to a bar and often on Monday mornings would find damage from petty vandalism as people left the bar and did stupid things. After the camera s were installed it mostly stopped dead. We often did find numerous funny incidents when the footage was reviewed on Monday mornings. We never posted any of it publicly.
We did send quite a few videos to the local police however.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Swink posted:

I sat through MINUTES of their 1 hour presentation only to find out a few hours later that my company is already an authorized reseller and they will not send me a free AP. This is an outrage.

They do give pretty sweet NFR prices though, but that doesn't get me a free AP for home.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
I'm pretty sure I solved my "Sean Connery" VoIP problem.

Lync "HDAudio" Phones and RTAudio records at 16-bit, 16kHz in "wideband" mode. This is what our users get all excited about when "It sounds like I'm right next to you! :j:"

Exchange UM requires a 16-bit PCM, 8kHz WAV to store the VM greetings, regardless of whether or not you set the Exchange UM codec to MP3 or WMA... that only applies to the upsampled/downsampled file you get in your e-mail as a Voicemail.

To test whether it was Exchange causing the problem, or just the nature of the sampling beast, I recorded my (and my wife's) voices using Audacity, trying to deliberately whistle our "s"es. Once I downsampled to the UM-required rate, two things happened:

1.) My "s"es turned to "sh"es.
2.) My wife's "s"es disappeared altogether.

I don't think there's anything else I can do at this point.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
A ticket came in from one of our regional offices.

They had a NAS crash, lost ~400 programs (~12 TB data). Turns out their backup wasn't up to scratch and their local channel has been off air for days. :gonk:

My first thought: "Glad it's not something I have to support!"
My second thought: "Holy poo poo that must suck for %Regional_IT_Guy%."
My third thought: "Better check my backups again. Just in case."

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Gunjin posted:

Put a digital signal processor that has a De-Esser in line?
O-okay. I'll leave. :smith:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm looking at a doctor's XP tower to evaluate it for possible upgrade to Win7. Guess which RAID level its drives have been set up on for the past 5 years?

If you guessed 1 you are too high.

There is an external backup of the important data BUT STILL.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Entropic posted:

I'm looking at a doctor's XP tower to evaluate it for possible upgrade to Win7. Guess which RAID level its drives have been set up on for the past 5 years?

If you guessed 1 you are too high.

There is an external backup of the important data BUT STILL.

A desktop? That's cute. I inherited several servers that my predecessor set up with RAID 0.

I've been here over 3 years and am still cleaning up messes.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cavepimp posted:

A desktop? That's cute. I inherited several servers that my predecessor set up with RAID 0.

I've been here over 3 years and am still cleaning up messes.

Couldn't you just take a full image of the server, rebuild the array to something normal, then re-image? I would assume you would have to shrink the drive sizes in Windows first. Never had to do this before though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Moey posted:

Couldn't you just take a full image of the server, rebuild the array to something normal, then re-image? I would assume you would have to shrink the drive sizes in Windows first. Never had to do this before though.

As long as you sysprep the image it probably would matter.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Preface: Our clients may/may not be functionally retarded.

A ticket came in: Internet Service is down.

We call up the ISP because we can't find any issues with the network stack. The ISP reports that they will not service this client any further.

Apparently instead of paying the ISP bill they'd cancel the account at the end of the month and open a new one. Apparently they owe the ISP in excess of 7K :catstare:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

We call up the ISP because we can't find any issues with the network stack. The ISP reports that they will not service this client any further.

Apparently instead of paying the ISP bill they'd cancel the account at the end of the month and open a new one. Apparently they owe the ISP in excess of 7K :catstare:
Don't attribute to carelessness what you can attribute to malice.

Not stupid, just scammers.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

That's a beautiful combination of brilliant and idiotic.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Given what they're doing, I'd stop working in the ticket immediately and tell sales to get payment in advance.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Volmarias posted:

Given what they're doing, I'd stop working in the ticket immediately and tell sales to get payment in advance.

They pay us on time, shockingly.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
E: mobile browser bullshit

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'll never cease to be amazed at the "clever" ideas people go to to save money.
Shortly before then complaining about how all laws nowadays have to be 500 pages long, that is.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Big huge move of offices due to new building finishing. I was put in charge of telecoms for it, and everything went swimmingly (except for the contractor doing our fiber pull - they were way behind and a pain in the rear end in general to contact/work with). Anyway the new building is a collections center for displaying a bunch of ancient astronomy notes and telescopes and such. Whilst folks were throwing away a bunch of old stuff, I salvaged this and put it in our librarian's box as a joke:

She said she would find a place for it!! :woop: I love working with cool people. Beats the poo poo out of my dead-end government computer janitor job. Nobody there could take a loving joke to save their lives.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
We found a "Cisco Routing & Switching for Dummies" book during an office move and I was like "Oh cool I'll take this home and bone up" and then I opened it and thought "Hey, there's a lot of chapters about IPX in here..." and then I noticed it is from 2002.

Also literally the first diagram in the book is supposed to show the difference between core/distribution/access layers and it's wrong.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Also literally the first diagram in the book is supposed to show the difference between core/distribution/access layers and it's wrong.
This is the worst thing about learning from a book or independent study. Wrong diagrams, bad directions or bad homework questions and whatever else they can get wrong and ship to learning college students and confuse them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only computer books we have around the schools I work at are typing books that still have instructions for typewriters, and some BASIC programming in DOS lesson books. They're just kinda laying around in some labs because nobody gives a poo poo.

They accurately represent what the computer education is like here.

• Locked thread