Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Right. Only spells are cast. Abilities are activated or triggered, and lands are played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ManiacMatt posted:

Well if you're playing control, I would also assume you would be drawing more answers as well. You also get to sculpt their extra cards a bit with the mystic, as if you see something you don't want them to have, you can just dump it in their graveyard.

I mean, notion thief is getting cute, but brining on lots of card draw in a control deck seems like the thing it wants to do, especially one that had pack rat and prognostic sphynx.

More just wanted to see if anyone had ideas on how to make it work, or if I was just being silly and magical christmas land about it.

Pack Rat isn't a control finisher and prognostic sphinx isn't relevant in the same sentence/format as Pack Rat.

The mystic is a wasted slot that you could be playing a card that actually answers what they have. And since answers in the current format are often conditional (barring Hero's Downfall), giving your opponent threats is exactly the opposite of what you want to be doing, especially against Monsters.

The takeaway here is that symmetrical draw is not something a control deck wants to happen in the current standard format.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

But Graceful Antelope doesn't have haste?

Godsend is at least a Vulshok Battlegear with a color restriction.

Honestly I can see Godsend being at least okay in White Weenie lists as a one-of but I'm not a good aggro player so v:shobon:v.

lol. I always make that mistake too.

Godsend is a mythic rare vulshok battlegear :v:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I could see godsend getting used in a hexproof deck maybe, but not a weenie aggro deck. It'd be cool if there was some more white devotion cards and mono-w devotion was a thing.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I could see godsend getting used in a hexproof deck maybe, but not a weenie aggro deck. It'd be cool if there was some more white devotion cards and mono-w devotion was a thing.

Yeah, It's going to be nice in the Voltron EDH decks. Even with the second clause not meaning anything in EDH, just +3/+3 and 'exile a creature before damage' is pretty brutal.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I think Ethereal Armor and Madcap Skills might make it unnecessary. A gigantic first striker is essentially the same as exiling their blocker, except you deal damage in case your guy has lifelink. The last ability may be relevant, but probably not. If they're not dead to your giant attacker, then you're probably losing. If they're in "have to play a blocker to just throw it away" mode, then you're probably winning anyways.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If the pieces came together for a Flare-style reanimator control deck again I could see Mystic showing up there as a way to control opponents' draws while populating the grave without risking milling out your reanimation.

But that's a bunch of ifs that need to happen. If nothing else it looks like a blast in limited.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I think it's a bit too much for a hexproof deck, but I agree it's not right for weenie aggro either. I was really envisioning it in something like Selesnya Midrange: Voice, Smiter, Brimaz, Advent, Trostani, Archangel of Thune, Godsend, Spear of Heliod.

It's definitely going in my Avacyn EDH deck, though.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Nemico posted:

I think Ethereal Armor and Madcap Skills might make it unnecessary. A gigantic first striker is essentially the same as exiling their blocker, except you deal damage in case your guy has lifelink. The last ability may be relevant, but probably not. If they're not dead to your giant attacker, then you're probably losing. If they're in "have to play a blocker to just throw it away" mode, then you're probably winning anyways.

Well yeah, but you're playing EDH so you can just play all of these and Godsend as well. It adds another layer to the "oh god how can I possibly block this correctly" problem.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So I hear Noble Quarry is running around with Godsend. Cards like it just keep getting better with the variety of tools they get every block.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
My main thought about it with hexproof is that it sticks around after a verdict. Game 2 in hexproof youre probably siding in rootborn defenses or mending touch if they have a wrath effect, but if you do get hit then you don't lose all your pieces you spent time voltroning since its an equipment.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, that was my thought. Godsend will instantly turn any topdecked creature, no matter how small, into a decent threat. Enchantments are nice, but Equipment is a lot more substantial. And it even plays well with bestow- after a verdict, you'll have the spear and a man to hold it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

My main thought about it with hexproof is that it sticks around after a verdict. Game 2 in hexproof youre probably siding in rootborn defenses or mending touch if they have a wrath effect, but if you do get hit then you don't lose all your pieces you spent time voltroning since its an equipment.

That kind of defeats the point of playing hexproof. Hexproof lets you play cheaper auras due to speed. If you're going to use equipment you might as well play more efficient creatures.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder how long until Constellation makes Enchanted Evening spiral in cost.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zorak posted:

I mean it should already be like 20 bucks because it's Rebecca Guay.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Zorak posted:

And then they can reprint Opalescence!

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Hey remember our old friend Bertoncini and how he totally wasn't apologetic about getting banned for cheating? Well guess what: https://www.facebook.com/notes/paul-rietzl/what-happened-in-phoenix/10152351563449456

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Someone please transcribe/summarize that for us non-facebook-havers.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

Bertoncini cheated to keep mana up for Last Breath, according to the floor rules, Reitzl couldn't actually say "hold on while I get a judge" so he simply ran as fast as he could to find one. No penalty assessed to Bertoncini.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
What happened in Phoenix
April 8, 2014 at 10:03am

I thought I would share what I witnessed at Grand Prix Phoenix this past weekend. I've seen a lot of crazy rumors on twitter and the internet, so out of fairness to Alex I think it makes sense to just get the facts out there.

In Round 12, I was easily defeated by the amiable Florian Koch at Table 41. Next to us, at Table 42, Chris LaVassaur was locked in battle with Alex Bertoncini. As I packed my deck, dice, and pen into my bag, Alex cast the spell Supreme Verdict, wiping Chris's board and leaving Chris with only Mutavault to attack Alex. I noticed that Alex had tapped three blue and one white mana for his Verdict, leaving up another white mana and Mutavault.

I immediately informed Alex that he needed two white for his Verdict and then started to walk away.

Although I don't know Alex personally, his reputation precedes him, so I decided to quickly check out Alex's hand to confirm that this was an honest mistake. As soon as I walked behind him, I noticed the card he had at the front of his hand: Last Breath.

I sprinted to the head judge to let her know what I had witnessed and suggest that they pause the match and investigate. Although I don't know all the details of the on-site investigation, Alex was not assessed a penalty.

It's virtually impossible to prove intent in situations like this, but the combination of a simple board state, motive (the Last Breath vs. opposing Mutavault) and the player's reputation set off alarm bells in my head.

Unfortunately, I don't have information such as life totals, what game it was, or other context. And I made a critical mistake by not forcing the players to pause the match while I got a judge. My instinct was just to run to someone wearing a red shirt, and I followed it.

Please take two things away from this:

1. Protect yourself at all times and please don't be offended when your opponent does the same. Holding your opponent to a high technical standard and calling judges for seemingly minor infractions doesn't mean you are accusing them of cheating. It's making the world a better place.

2. If you see something that doesn't look right, pause the match and find a judge. Don't let the players keep playing. I blew it, and I regret it.

Best regards,

Paul Rietzl

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

LordSaturn posted:

Tapped UUUW to cast Supreme Verdict and leave his opponent with just a Mutavault, conveniently keeping up 1W for the Last Breath he was holding. No one got to a judge in time and neither player called a judge, so match proceeded with no penalties.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

How in the hell has Betoncini not gotten a lifetime ban, every ten minutes he's caught for cheating in an event. Its getting to be pretty loving ridiculous.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Madmarker posted:

How in the hell has Betoncini not gotten a lifetime ban, every ten minutes he's caught for cheating in an event. Its getting to be pretty loving ridiculous.

The thing that I don't get is why he keeps cheating after getting the reputation he has. I guess because apparently he can get away with it?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Madmarker posted:

This is the first situation since his suspension. Cool your jets.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ScarletBrother posted:

The thing that I don't get is why he keeps cheating after getting the reputation he has. I guess because apparently he can get away with it?

Because people exist who believe that he's a "nice guy who just plays sloppy". Essentially, to people that don't know about what he does he can create the image of just being a sloppy player who does well and doesn't seem malicious.

And as for why people would cheat at magic, well, have you seen the difference in prize payout? If you believed you could get away with it and set aside morals (note these are very strong assertions), wouldn't you?

And realistically, tapping mana incorrectly is something that people just mess up on, and the rules are in place with a penalty system to fairly arbitrate without bringing in messy variables like intent.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Quick rules question. Say I have a white creature bestowed with another white creature. What happens if I give my creature pro white, say with a God's Willing? Does the bestow dude fall off and become a creature, or does it go to the graveyard?

For some reason I assumed the bestowed aura would just become a creature, but this seems to imply differently.

quote:

702.15c - A permanent or player with protection can't be enchanted by Auras that have the stated quality. Such Auras attached to the permanent or player with protection will be put into their owners' graveyards as a state-based effect. (See rule 704, "State-Based Effects.")

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 8, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Quick rules question. Say I have a white creature bestowed with another white creature. What happens if I give my creature pro white, say with a God's Willing? Does the bestow dude fall off and become a creature, or does it go to the graveyard?

My understanding is that a bestowed creature becomes unattached for any reason aside from outright being thrown off the field somehow (ala all is dust, akroma's vengeance, boomerang, revoke existence, or just a naturalize aimed at it), it hits play first.

My understanding is that bestow just overrides those rules like it does for aura fizzling but I wouldn't mind a judge weighing in.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

qbert posted:

For some reason I assumed the bestowed aura would just become a creature, but this seems to imply differently.

The bestow falls off and becomes a creature.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

ScarletBrother posted:

The bestow falls off and becomes a creature.

Yup, I've done this before to my own creatures to create blockers in tight situations. Fun little trick that most people don't expect.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like that Drew chimed in. If I recall, he knew him for a while and didn't believe the stories until the friendship barrier fell. Wanna empty quote this:

Zoness posted:

Because people exist who believe that he's a "nice guy who just plays sloppy". Essentially, to people that don't know about what he does he can create the image of just being a sloppy player who does well and doesn't seem malicious.

And as for why people would cheat at magic, well, have you seen the difference in prize payout? If you believed you could get away with it and set aside morals (note these are very strong assertions), wouldn't you?

And realistically, tapping mana incorrectly is something that people just mess up on, and the rules are in place with a penalty system to fairly arbitrate without bringing in messy variables like intent.
Hell, people cheat at FNM drafts and sneak in cards or whatever because the difference between going 3-0 and 2-1 at our events is getting a free draft next week. Also doesn't help that people like to cover up lands and move them around past matching colors. Never understood that part myself.

Also

What a Judas posted:

This is the first situation [that was noticed] since his suspension. Cool your jets.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Thanks guys. One more quick rules question that actually came up during a match last night. If my opponent has Nivmagus Elemental out, is it in any way possible for me to counter any instant or sorcery spell he plays to prevent him from pumping the Elemental, or can he always just use its activated ability in response and get the +1/+1 counters?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Thanks guys. One more quick rules question that actually came up during a match last night. If my opponent has Nivmagus Elemental out, is it in any way possible for me to counter any instant or sorcery spell he plays to prevent him from pumping the Elemental, or can he always just use its activated ability in response and get the +1/+1 counters?

You cannot prevent Nivmagus Elemental from pumping itself using its ability by countering its controller's spells on the stack.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Tharizdun posted:

Bertoncini cheated to keep mana up for Last Breath, according to the floor rules, Reitzl couldn't actually say "hold on while I get a judge" so he simply ran as fast as he could to find one. No penalty assessed to Bertoncini.

Sorry for the pedantry, but this is not true, in fact the exact opposite is true: The ONLY interaction you are technically allowed to have while spectating a match is asking them to pause play while you go get a judge. He even says so here:

quote:

And I made a critical mistake by not forcing the players to pause the match while I got a judge. My instinct was just to run to someone wearing a red shirt, and I followed it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

AnacondaHL posted:

Sorry for the pedantry, but this is not true, in fact the exact opposite is true: The ONLY interaction you are technically allowed to have while spectating a match is asking them to pause play while you go get a judge. He even says so here:

Plenty are disputing your claim in the FB post. At that level, you cannot.

Again, this is according to others.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

AnacondaHL posted:

It's my understanding that you are allowed to pause the match at the Comp REL level, but you are NOT at the Professional REL level, which this was.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

En Fuego posted:

Plenty are disputing your claim in the FB post. At that level, you cannot.

Again, this is according to others.

From DCI Tournament Rules:

quote:

1.11 Spectators
Any person physically present at a tournament and not in any other category above is a spectator. Spectators are responsible for remaining silent and passive during matches and other official tournament sections in which players are also required to be silent. If spectators believe they have observed a rules or policy violation, they are encouraged to alert a judge as soon as possible. At Regular or Competitive REL, spectators are permitted to ask the players to pause the match while they alert a judge. At Professional REL, spectators must not interfere with the match directly

IIRC GP day 2 is Professional REL.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Meanwhile, back with more speculation...

Godsend and the red hammer work together exceedingly well. Essentially you'll hit your mana cap and then the majority of everything else your deck that you draw is now an immediate threat every turn. This only occurs at six mana though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I REALLY want to open Godsend at the prerelease. Talk about a limited bomb...

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I REALLY want to open Godsend at the prerelease. Talk about a limited bomb...

Well, I hope you're feeling lucky; you'll only get a single pack's shot at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, I hope you're feeling lucky; you'll only get a single pack's shot at it.

Sealed is 2 packs of JiN, yes?

• Locked thread