Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Randler posted:

Knowledge isn't lost. It will count toward the next research item. (The amount is indicated by a small white circle around the research item's picture.)

Is it possible to get 2 in a single turn, or does it take knowledge AND a turn to research something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Gerblyn Small Quaility of Life request if its not a bother, could towns be changed to have 6 production spots? Means i can make a fully tweaked stack ready to be built up over the turns. Not a big pain because i just add the last unit when the request to give the first orders.

Triskelli posted:

All right you little snot-nosed fuckpump, here's your loving wiki

Gwyrgyn Blood, if you find a decent .swf ripper, I've got a google doc to copy-paste. Let me know if I should create something in a different format.

Shoving that in the OP, godspeed gentle goons and let me know if i can help out.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Do the bonuses that heroes give their stack apply across the entire army in a multistack battle, or just to the units that they brought personally?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fintilgin posted:

Do the bonuses that heroes give their stack apply across the entire army in a multistack battle, or just to the units that they brought personally?

Personal stack only. Your theocrat cannot in fact make 18+ units immortal.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I just used Age of Magic and i'm pretty sure it's bugged or the tooltip is wrong - instead of giving just +50 max CP like it says, it gives +50 max CP AND cuts your mana cost in half, letting you do completely ridiculous things like summon two eldritch horrors per turn or casting six lightning bolts and instakilling a stack of shadow stalkers.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The fire spell that turns all your holdings to tropical ground (and the area past it) is easily the best terraforming spell in the game, so long as you combine it with Domain of the Sun.

In almost all other cases, you can make a town kinda like the area around it through terraforming to a specific type. This will ususally net you ~50-100 happiness. Alternatively, a Fire specced Human Dreadnought can not only convert everything to fertile plans, they can turn it all tropical on top of this and run Domain in every city. In a Dreadnought's case, Mana cells can also run alongside domain, as they don't conflict.

With the slower pace of AI dispelling in the patch, so long as your not fighting like 3 AI or more, you can keep this up on most/all of your towns and they'll get like 250-500 inherent happiness just from the terrain bonuses. This lets you keep the cheerful morale bonuses up at pretty much all times, regardless of global happiness changes.

Here's a screenshot from an random Islands game, this is using only like half the terrain available to a full sized city.

Thyrork posted:

Gerblyn Small Quaility of Life request if its not a bother, could towns be changed to have 6 production spots? Means i can make a fully tweaked stack ready to be built up over the turns. Not a big pain because i just add the last unit when the request to give the first orders.

Would also love to see this, a tad annoying to have to adjust for constantly.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 8, 2014

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also give non-Thief ladies some trousers, please. I know it's silly, but I just can't take Dreadnaughts seriously unless they're wearing pants :blush:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mazz posted:

The fire spell that turns all your holdings to tropical ground (and the area past it) is easily the best terraforming spell in the game, so long as you combine it with Domain of the Sun.

In almost all other cases, you can make a town kinda like the area around it through terraforming to a specific type. This will ususally net you ~50-100 happiness. Alternatively, a Fire specced Human Dreadnought can not only convert everything to fertile plans, they can turn it all tropical on top of this and run Domain in every city. In a Dreadnought's case, Mana cells can also run alongside domain, as they don't conflict.

With the slower pace of AI dispelling in the patch, so long as your not fighting like 3 AI or more, you can keep this up on most/all of your towns and they'll get like 500-600 inherent happiness just from the terrain bonuses. This lets you keep the cheerful morale bonuses up at pretty much all times, regardless of global happiness changes.

I actually have a lot of fun playing an ice themed high elven druid. High elf hunters are absolute murder, and elves really don't care about arctic terrain. Covering the entire map in frozen forest full of invisible hunters is really fun, and a lot of the more troublesome races don't like arctic terrain. Dwarves are OK with it but I think humans, orcs, goblins and draconians all dislike the arctic, and dwarves aren't as good above ground and have trouble with all your forests. Also as the forests are just there and your love of them is innate, your cities can't suffer happiness issues from dispels, and it saves you a lot of mana.

CommissarMega posted:

Also give non-Thief ladies some trousers, please. I know it's silly, but I just can't take Dreadnaughts seriously unless they're wearing pants :blush:

I kinda like my fabulous colonial dress plus epaulets, but yeah some pants options would be nice.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Wolpertinger posted:

I just used Age of Magic and i'm pretty sure it's bugged or the tooltip is wrong - instead of giving just +50 max CP like it says, it gives +50 max CP AND cuts your mana cost in half, letting you do completely ridiculous things like summon two eldritch horrors per turn or casting six lightning bolts and instakilling a stack of shadow stalkers.

All those end-game spells are ridiculous are ridiculous by design, the idea is that you cast them and then pretty much win unless they're dispelled. It wouldn't surprise me if the description was wrong, I think it's wrong for the Rogue one too, since Age of Deception has a hidden side effect that it applies a -400 empire happiness penalty, to every other player in the game. This may not sound like much, until you realize that effectively reduces the happiness for every unit and city everyone has, except the caster. Also, a city at -400 happiness starts rebelling.

Mazz posted:

I'll add it to the suggestion list!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If you're taking suggestions, an ability to "refresh" a slot in your research book that you don't like for another one would be really cool, since it does cap at one page. Or alternatively let us have more than one page available at a time. Having to research a bad combat skill just for the chance at another one is lame, unless its a prereq which makes sense.

Fintilgin posted:

How do multistack battles work? I heard about that, is it just like Total War where if you have an army right next to the battle, they get to join in? Or what?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 8, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

I think the tooltip just doesn't mention the reduced casting cost. and yeah, it's rad to be able to cast chaos rift 4 times a turn :getin:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

How do multistack battles work? I heard about that, is it just like Total War where if you have an army right next to the battle, they get to join in? Or what?

Every stack adjacent to the attacked stack participates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

When you attack someone, the battle includes the stack you attack, and all stacks next to it.

They spawn on the battlefield based on where they are on the overworld. Try splitting a stack next time you attack and see, it's quite intuitive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OwlFancier posted:

When you attack someone, the battle includes the stack you attack, and all stacks next to it.

They spawn on the battlefield based on where they are on the overworld. Try splitting a stack next time you attack and see, it's quite intuitive.

Cool.

Yeah this is seriously like my favorite parts of Total War and Heroes of might and magic put together.

If there were town screens I'd probably stop playing HoMM altogether, although town screens would also slow the turns down a bit. (Which is why HOMM VI didn't have them at first, but that was dumb and they patched them in)

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Every Hex that is directly connected to the Hex the Attack Order is used on gets involved in a battle. [Certain Neutral Sites are exempt where only the Stack on the Site is used] So every battle has the possibility of having 7 Stacks involved, the Hex being attacked and the 6 connecting ones that circle it.

City Sieges are a bit different in that for those the two sides are placed on opposite sides of the map in lines determined by Faction not Position like it would for every other Hex

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Are there any plans for tile upgrades? I mean there is already fortresses and watchtowers but it kinda sucks that there's nothing else for stratagic resources like workshops/alchemy labs/fields/markets for production/mana/farms/gold respectively.

Also, can someone explain what the various elemental mana types do? I can't seem to figure it out.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

CommissarMega posted:

OwlFancier posted:

I kinda like my fabulous colonial dress plus epaulets, but yeah some pants options would be nice.

More clothes in various combinations is something i hope to see in future content. :3:

Drone_Fragger posted:

Are there any plans for tile upgrades? I mean there is already fortresses and watchtowers but it kinda sucks that there's nothing else for stratagic resources like workshops/alchemy labs/fields/markets for production/mana/farms/gold respectively.

Also, can someone explain what the various elemental mana types do? I can't seem to figure it out.

As in the mana nodes? If so, 10 mana per turn if inside your domain, 15 if you have a sphere in that type. I think "Mana Nodes" are always a 10.

Just as an aside, theres too much good stuff post-release to not justify me butchering the old OP and getting it in there, ill fix it tonight and shove the old OP in a docs.google

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 8, 2014

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

redreader posted:

Is it possible to get 2 in a single turn, or does it take knowledge AND a turn to research something?

You can get multiple researches in the same turn. The progress circle will be completely filled and if you click on it it will immediately be researched.

As a side note, a fact not many people realize: You can switch researches freely and your progress toward a particular research is saved. So you can be working on a long research, realize you need something else urgently (usually Disjunction) and switch your research without losing anything.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Do you mean the various Fire/Water/Destruction/etc Nodes? They all just provide 10 mana, but if you're an adept of that sphere they will provide 15 mana instead.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Heh. You can Spell Steal Overload from a machine and it will, in fact, give you +10 physical damage on your apprentice. Sadly, it doesn't add 10 damage to Fairy Fire, but if you took spell steal on a hero with a bow, maybe..

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Ojetor posted:

You can get multiple researches in the same turn. The progress circle will be completely filled and if you click on it it will immediately be researched.

As a side note, a fact not many people realize: You can switch researches freely and your progress toward a particular research is saved. So you can be working on a long research, realize you need something else urgently (usually Disjunction) and switch your research without losing anything.

Do you mean the various Fire/Water/Destruction/etc Nodes? They all just provide 10 mana, but if you're an adept of that sphere they will provide 15 mana instead.

And if you are an master?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Korwin posted:

And if you are an master?

No extra for master - so if you were for some weird reason obsessed with getting a lot of mana from nodes, you'd take three adepts.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

But I mean, what are the various nodes used for? Are they just flavour in that there's different elements for them? Do they boost "spellpower" for that spell type?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Is there a list of what exactly the different Specializations add? The in-game tome is kind of vague about it and I couldn't find any information in spell descriptions either. I mean I could always try it manually but :effort: and I like to sperg about possible combinations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hey Gerblyn you have a typo in Freeze Water:
code:
<Cell>{freezewaterTurns}; 3 [turn/]</Cell>
Should be a colon not a semicolon. :I

Anyway, still mucking with pulling the rest of the data, but I have a decent start, shown with a template: http://age-of-blunders-iii.wikia.com/wiki/Water_Magic

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Drone_Fragger posted:

But I mean, what are the various nodes used for? Are they just flavour in that there's different elements for them? Do they boost "spellpower" for that spell type?

If you're an adept of water, for instance, a fire node gives you 10 mana, while a water node gives 15. Also the nodes themselves have different battlefield effects. That's about it.

a!n posted:

Is there a list of what exactly the different Specializations add? The in-game tome is kind of vague about it and I couldn't find any information in spell descriptions either. I mean I could always try it manually but :effort: and I like to sperg about possible combinations.

Go to the Tome of Wonders, specifically to the "skill" tab. Look near the top of the list - there should be an option to filter the skills to things like Dreadnought-Only, Air Adept-Only, Expander, etc. You can do the same thing with units for the various races/classes, too.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Tomn posted:

If you're an adept of water, for instance, a fire node gives you 10 mana, while a water node gives 15. Also the nodes themselves have different battlefield effects. That's about it.

Go to the Tome of Wonders, specifically to the "skill" tab. Look near the top of the list - there should be an option to filter the skills to things like Dreadnought-Only, Air Adept-Only, Expander, etc. You can do the same thing with units for the various races/classes, too.

:neckbeard: Thank you so much!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
While Sundren is a bit snore on the Torchlighter path, she's kind of hilarious if you go the Elven Court path - elf hitler Sundren. Dark Elves all over again. Also - if you rescue the dwarf dreadnought hero as if you were playing the torchlighter path, you literally get a dialogue option to just randomly stab him in the back and murder him for no reason (he drops the dreadnought rifle, so I did it :v:).

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 8, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

code:

Anyway, still mucking with pulling the rest of the data, but I have a decent start, shown with a template: http://age-of-blunders-iii.wikia.com/wiki/Water_Magic

Upgraded you to Admin (I think), will contribute once I've finished my classwork for today

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah I was kinda worried that being High Elves removed the darkness part of the Dark Elf heritage but I'm glad that stuff is still around

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Randler posted:

Knowledge isn't lost. It will count toward the next research item. (The amount is indicated by a small white circle around the research item's picture.)
Does that apply to building too?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This game is perfect in every way except that I can't have an ice empire that constantly billows forth from my cities and also summon ice elementals. ~my immersion~

FAKE EDIT: Also are monsters harder underground? I had a dwarf empire that simply could not get off the ground in one game where I started underground and failed to expand in any meaningful way owing to the dozens of threats around me, then started another game where I forgot to tick the underground box and am now king Dwarf of the world. Is that just the RNG? I'm playing on Lord if that helps.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 8, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Frostlings when. Such a tease to have them mentioned in unit descriptions and not have them show up

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Impermanent posted:

This game is perfect in every way except that I can't have an ice empire that constantly billows forth from my cities and also summon ice elementals. ~my immersion~

FAKE EDIT: Also are monsters harder underground? I had a dwarf empire that simply could not get off the ground in one game where I started underground and failed to expand in any meaningful way owing to the dozens of threats around me, then started another game where I forgot to tick the underground box and am now king Dwarf of the world. Is that just the RNG? I'm playing on Lord if that helps.

Interestingly, my girlfriend just started an RMG map and ended up underground surrounded by loads of brigand camps and monsters dens and things... Maybe the RMG places them incorrectly, I'll ask around about it tomorrow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did think the underground was a bit more high level than the surface, better loot buildings and more hostiles and such.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Also the walls give such a false sense of security. Lost my capital due to aggressive neutrals because some of them could dig and ended up at my capital.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Triskelli posted:

Upgraded you to Admin (I think), will contribute once I've finished my classwork for today

I cleaned up some more on how I parse the data files. Basically everything you see on that page is auto-generated. Unfortunately I'm at about wits end trying to parse any of the .rpk or .clb files. The data inside is so obvious but I can't figure out the header/footer formats. I can still provide templates with the text data for some stuff, but I don't know how much more energy I have beyond that right now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mazz posted:

Air, Creation and Blight get equivalent spells for different climates, too. Earth also gets a Domain of Earth spell, which just makes all underground cities happy. They're all badass (except Creation, which just spreads Temperate, yawn).

Gerblyn posted:

All those end-game spells are ridiculous are ridiculous by design, the idea is that you cast them and then pretty much win unless they're dispelled.

I don't know if this is intentional, but the Druid one that makes all units float can't be dispelled since it's not an active spell. Instead, it only affects your current units, but not ones produced after casting.

Impermanent posted:

Also are monsters harder underground? I had a dwarf empire that simply could not get off the ground in one game where I started underground and failed to expand in any meaningful way owing to the dozens of threats around me, then started another game where I forgot to tick the underground box and am now king Dwarf of the world. Is that just the RNG? I'm playing on Lord if that helps.

I think the underground is more dangerous, but with the tradeoff that you're a lot safer from other players. Two thirds of the races get a movement penalty down there, and one third gets bad morale. If you're a dwarf or goblin, you're pretty coze.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

code:

Thank you so much for this, exactly what I need.

Ojetor posted:

Oh that's really cool, and great to know.

I guess I should stop posting and just read the thread for awhile. Thanks everybody.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Zaphod42 posted:

Thank you so much for this, exactly what I need.

Oh that's really cool, and great to know.

I guess I should stop posting and just read the thread for awhile. Thanks everybody.

It'll be easier when SA stops crashing so i can pool all the good information from post-launch into the new OP i plan. :argh:

Also when i stop playing AOW3 :shobon:

Edit: Hey Gerblyn, i just had a crazy thought, would it be possible to make it so that when two humans are present, and one goes into a battle against the AI, the other human can take over the AI if both parties agree? Might spice up having to sit through some dudes combat segment. In the case of multiple players ... I have no idea. Votes while the opening move is played?

Im just barfing up a crazy thought, dont mind me.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
On random map mode, I've noticed that moving a unit onto another players explored resource/treasure site (like mana nodes and ruins and everything) is considered an act of war, and even if you're at war, your units will path around them unless you direct them directly onto the hex in question. However, it's apparently perfectly kosher to enter unexplored sites, kill the guardians, and make off with the loot. I'm guessing it's because the site is marked as Independent until someone explores it, at which point it changes faction to whoever occupied it last/has it in their borders. My best buddy keeps diving into my borders to loot the ruins and tombs I haven't gotten around to. :argh:

Also, I have yet to see the AI fight each other on random maps. They'll declare war, and snipe unguarded structures and cities, but I don't think I've ever seen them start a fight with anyone but me

• Locked thread