Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
I don't know where you'd get the impression I was comparing him favorably to Bergman, but as far as mainstream genre writers working today go, Whedon is pretty close to the top of the heap. He certainly doesn't bat a thousand by any means, as the Buffy Season 8 comics were embarrassing and Dollhouse was essentially unwatchable to me, but I'll take him over a whole hell of a lot of other guys out there. Whedon's style is his style, but he cares about narrative, character consistency, and motive, which is sadly rare these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Besides his somewhat samey tone, Whedon's other big problem is he has no long-term attention span and tends to flit from project to project. In some cases this actually results in a better show, because writers who are better at working with pre-established universes build on the pretty solid foundations he leaves behind though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

If you're going to pick something of Whedon's to hate there's no better choice than Firefly.
I absolutely do not understand people's attitudes towards that show. I don't dislike his work even, though it does have flaws and so on, but that's always the show people recommend and I simply don't understand why.

As for a MTMTE show it's sort of a silly joke isn't it? I mean, does anyone have the shipping figures for Dark Cybertron 12? MTMTE is the best comic I'm reading but IDW figures are pretty drat small scale.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I've never seen Buffy or Dollhouse (yes, I know, I have never seen a singe episode of Buffy, seriously) but I liked the Avengers and Firefly.

Honestly I think Firefly gets a lot of hate because its fans are obnoxious as poo poo. Firefly was a decent show, but it got canned after 14 episodes, it's done, there's not gonna be any more, and it was NOT the best sci-fi show ever made. :dealwithit:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly I think Firefly gets a lot of hate because its fans are obnoxious as poo poo. Firefly was a decent show, but it got canned after 14 episodes, it's done, there's not gonna be any more, and it was NOT the best sci-fi show ever made. :dealwithit:

Firefly fans (Redcoats?) make Bronies look like normal people.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Whedon is still different enough. There aren't many like him. That are paid to do things, anyway.

Same for Roberts. They may not be perfect, sure, but at least they're trying.

It's like, people who don't like Game of Thrones because fantasy. What do they like instead? Sports, probably. Maybe dry documentaries or nice thick mathematics texts. Whedon and James are GoT in this halfassed figure of speech.

Toy Talk: Is Galvatron the silver truck people thought was Ultra Magnus? I remember seeing a pic of a figure identified as Galvatron next to a sliver truck, with both toys having what looked like the same purple gun.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah apparently Galvatron is the truck and.. I think he's a man-made transformer too?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Firefly fans (Redcoats?) make Bronies look like normal people.

Uh... I dunno about that. I think Bronies are the worst by far, but Browncoats and Doctor Who fans are really annoying sometimes. Okay, most of the time.

Why yes, I have hundreds of transformers, I build Gundams, I've seen every episode of Star Trek TOS, TNG and DS9 and I've played in Street Fighter tournaments. I also work in IT. And I didn't know who Peyton Manning was until last month. The irony is totally not lost on me.

Pretty much fandoms are universally terrible.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 8, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've seen every episode of Star Trek TOS, TNG and DS9

How could you not have seen all of Star Trek Enterprise?????

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

I absolutely do not understand people's attitudes towards that show. I don't dislike his work even, though it does have flaws and so on, but that's always the show people recommend and I simply don't understand why.

Near as I can tell it's just a giant case of blue balls. I liked Firefly okay, but it's mainly a promising start to a show that never got a chance to really come into its own. The existing episodes show tremendous promise, and I bet the third season of Firefly would have been some pretty great TV, but what's actually there on film is pretty shaky in places. I think Firefly's appeal is mostly the potential it showed, and the constant focus of the fandom on bringing it back in some way, even after Serenity decimated the core cast and the actors aged way past the point of a feasible show resurrection, supports that theory, in my opinion. It's like if they'd cancelled MTMTE after 10 issues or so. The focus wouldn't be so much on what existed but what we never got to see.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rita Repulsa posted:

How could you not have seen all of Star Trek Enterprise?????

Actually I plan on doing that sometime but I don't hate myself enough to watch seven full seasons of Voyager so I'm gonna pass on that one. Life is too short.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
There's no need to watch all of voyager. Just watch Threshold.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Which one is Threshold? Is that the awesome time travel episode or the one with lizard babies? You're a cruel man, so I'm assuming the latter.

Keldroc posted:

Near as I can tell it's just a giant case of blue balls.
Ah! You know, I should have considered that, but I encountered Firefly so far after it was run and done I never really got a perspective on the fandom beyond 'my god why are these people going so nuts for low budget sorta ok sci-fi'?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I'd say the were more salamanders, but yeah, that one. As the song goes, you gotta be cruel to be kind, and I'm pretty sure noone wants to continue watching after that episode and that's the greatest kindness possible.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I like the part of [insert Whedon thing] where everyone has the same sense of humor and basic personality.

But the part I like even more is the part where he has nothing to do with Transformers and God willing, never ever will. Let's not tempt fate by continuing to summon his specter.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Oh yeah, Whedon writing a Transformers movie sure would be a disaster compared to what we've gotten so far. :rolleyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whedon would have had Bumblebee fall in love with a normal Earth car.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

But would Whedon have the plucky protagonist have sex on Bumblebee while the other Autobots watch?

SpikeMcclane posted:

I'd say the were more salamanders, but yeah, that one. As the song goes, you gotta be cruel to be kind, and I'm pretty sure noone wants to continue watching after that episode and that's the greatest kindness possible.
There's a line between killing their interest in the show and killing their interest in living, man.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm lukewarm on Whedon at best, but I definitely wouldn't dismiss a Whedon-helmed Transformers movie. At least it would be fun, and not embarrassing.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Something doesn't have to be good to be enjoyable v:shobon:v

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, Threshold is one of the rare times when Voyager is kind of entertaining, because Janeway and Paris turning into salamanders and loving because they went like warp 10 is so WTF it has to be seen to be believed. I wanna know what Brannon Braga was on when he wrote that. Voyager is just usually just so bland and boring most of the time. I remember thinking that is the future is this dull, I want nothing to do with it.

And yeah, I wouldn't mind a Joss Whedon Transformers because it would be fun at least and would be better than Michael Bay.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Uh... I dunno about that. I think Bronies are the worst by far, but Browncoats and Doctor Who fans are really annoying sometimes. Okay, most of the time.

Why yes, I have hundreds of transformers, I build Gundams, I've seen every episode of Star Trek TOS, TNG and DS9 and I've played in Street Fighter tournaments. I also work in IT. And I didn't know who Peyton Manning was until last month. The irony is totally not lost on me.

Pretty much fandoms are universally terrible.
At least Bronies and Who fans have a currently-running, ongoing thing to be fans of and Trekkers at least have a loooooot of content. Browncoats have one season and a movie.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

(UK) Just noticed a Tesco delivery truck with a new livery. Prime's flames in red and blue on the trailer, with the autobot logo. Very prominent, like the whole side of the trailer. I don't know anything about trucks, but I gnow the cab isnt the same as prime, and no smoke stacks. maybe its Magnus :v:. Didn't get a chance to take a pic, sorry.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Sega Megatron, new pics

Looks pretty good other than the slightly weird feet. The Generations one will probably satiate my need for a not-lovely-looking Megatron, though.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Peaugh apparently got a Citizen Stack and has been tweeting pictures. It's as tall as Hercules.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

Trickjaw posted:

(UK) Just noticed a Tesco delivery truck with a new livery. Prime's flames in red and blue on the trailer, with the autobot logo. Very prominent, like the whole side of the trailer. I don't know anything about trucks, but I gnow the cab isnt the same as prime, and no smoke stacks. maybe its Magnus :v:. Didn't get a chance to take a pic, sorry.

If its the one linked here Clicky its fairly old, was for Dark of the Moon.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

revtoiletduck posted:

Peaugh apparently got a Citizen Stack and has been tweeting pictures. It's as tall as Hercules.

That's dumb.

I mean I guess I get why that happened, but that's dumb.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 8, 2014

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Captain Magic posted:

That's dumb.

That's pretty much the alt mode size Takara's going to be shooting for, so I'm not sure how much smaller its outing will be.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Citizen Stack looks preeeeeeeetty nice... I guess... Ultra Magnus.. Ultra...64... Mega...Drive MEGATRON.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/takara-tomy-arts-megadrive-megatron-new-prototype-images-179649/

Transformers is over, the perfect Transformer is here. We can all just....close the thread guys. We're done.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Unknownone posted:

If its the one linked here Clicky its fairly old, was for Dark of the Moon.

Thats it, except with a white undecorated cab. It said they were going to replace it. Did they just get lazy and decide 'Tescoptimus Prime' (ugh) was working for them for now on? Its like all those times TFs get stuck in vehicle mode and get used in the commission of evil deeds.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

AzraelNewtype posted:

That's pretty much the alt mode size Takara's going to be shooting for, so I'm not sure how much smaller its outing will be.

I doubt it'll be much more than a head taller than MP-10 (at the top of the head, anyway. Who knows with the shoulders). But I think there's a lot more ability to fold/retract with armor than there is with a full transformation.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The Mastermind Creations Predacons are some of the best 3rd party figures I have. I just got Leo Dux yesterday, and drat it's great. My only complaint about the 'cons is that they are not coming out fast enough. I want to build Predaking NOW.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Captain Magic posted:

I doubt it'll be much more than a head taller than MP-10 (at the top of the head, anyway. Who knows with the shoulders). But I think there's a lot more ability to fold/retract with armor than there is with a full transformation.
Size comparison from peaugh's twitter:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yeah I am not the biggest grognard about scale but that is just silly big imo. Looks nice, though, if a bit plain.

My predictions for scale above were about the Takara version, btw. Pronouns are hard and I'm not sure if that was clear.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It looks very nice but... there's an actual MP coming up. I guess this is good for those guys who hate "Armored White Prime" Magnus?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

That's dumb.

More like in canon!

Suck it, Prowl

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Magnus has always been Huge McLarge, I'm not seeing a problem here. Well, other than the aforementioned fact an official Mags isn't far off now.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

That looks about the right size for Magnus to me. He's Optimus in armor, he's naturally going to be larger.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
My stupid hasty ill-advised pre-order is paying off!

(I made it last week when things didn't look as good because I am an impatient moron)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sentinel Red posted:

Magnus has always been Huge McLarge, I'm not seeing a problem here.

Buff Plankchest.