Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mahoning posted:

I'm going to disagree with you only in the fact that the Block C is the ugliest, least unique logo possibly ever. You can't tell me that's the best they could come up with that wasn't offensive.

If it were up to me, it'd be THIS "C". I've warmed up a bit to the other one in some ways though.

It kind of sucks though because growing up? I never thought of Wahoo as racist. I mainly just associated him with the baseball team I followed like every little kid from cleveland during the 90's.

Obviously my mindset has changed after learning about Native Americans, their culture, and why this isn't right. So even though I dislike the idea of changing it because of my own association with the logo, it has to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

That C is so 80's

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Politicalrancor posted:

That C is so 80's
Actually, it was used in the 70's :nerd:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://deadspin.com/darren-rovell-is-narcing-out-people-who-make-fun-of-him-1560861380

Darren Rovell is quite the douche bag.

(film at 11).

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Jesus, he's such a baby.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Indians should just go back to being the Spiders which is a way more baller name anyway.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

The Indians should just go back to being the Spiders which is a way more baller name anyway.
The Cleveland Naps

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"more like the cleveland makes me want to take a naps"

-A thing I would definitely have to probate someone for

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

MourningView posted:

"Tonight's game is brought to you by the Mazda 6."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Darren Rovell would be a good candidate for "oh for sure man"

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

MourningView posted:

The only reason that Indians came around as a nickname in the first place was because everyone in the 1890s hated the Spiders nickname.

I have no loving idea why they hated it, though.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

I brought this up in another thread, and people keep bringing it up across the internet. Why? Because Spiders is an awesome name that really should be used immediately, and is already the best possible nickname not used in the four major sports (now that Pelicans has been taken).

The Prisoner posted:

The only reason that Indians came around as a nickname in the first place was because everyone in the 1890s hated the Spiders nickname.

I have an idea - Cleveland sucks at naming sports teams.

The MLB team is the Indians, a nickname introduced with a racist cartoon in the local paper on the day it was announced.

The NFL team is the Browns, named after a team legend, but their logo is an plain orange helmet. Not a brown helmet, or anything brown at all. Really, it's like if the Indians logo wasn't Chief Wahoo, but another racist caricature of a completely out of left field ethnicity.

The NBA team is the Cavaliers, which, really, what the gently caress. These guys below are the most intimidating mascots in Cleveland major sports.

Other names for the Cleveland NBA franchise could have been the Jays, Foresters, or Presidents. Jays could've been a little weak, Presidents would've been rad, but Foresters would have been amazing. Why? The Cavs' longtime arena, the Richfield Coliseum, was built in the middle of what's now the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. A team could've played in a cool arena in the middle of a treasured national forest, with a name to match. Instead, they're named after a group of Frenchmen who wore ridiculously stupid outfits.

In short, Cleveland needs to stop naming teams, and let the rest of us name them for the city.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

AsInHowe posted:

The NBA team is the Cavaliers, which, really, what the gently caress. These guys below are the most intimidating mascots in Cleveland major sports.

I was always under the impression that the name was a pun on René-Robert Cavelier, aka La Salle, the man who discovered the Ohio River, and much of Ohio.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I was always under the impression that the name was a pun on René-Robert Cavelier, aka La Salle, the man who discovered the Ohio River, and much of Ohio.

I've never heard that, and I haven't seen anything like that online. Also, something clever like that seems to go over the heads of Ohio residents, who would be much more likely to pick a weird name because it's alliterative.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The Browns logo is the best in sports.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

AsInHowe posted:

I've never heard that, and I haven't seen anything like that online. Also, something clever like that seems to go over the heads of Ohio residents, who would be much more likely to pick a weird name because it's alliterative.

I thought a Cavalier was the same as a cavalryman, which invokes American heroes like Jeb Stuart and Kit Carson.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's a shame this thread got away from marveling at what a tool Rovell is, because it's amazing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

zakharov posted:

It's a shame this thread got away from marveling at what a tool Rovell is, because it's amazing.

It's hilarious because the person he's tattle-telling on isn't even the one who made the (purposely ridiculous) RGIII / Hitler comparison. He's ratting out the guy who laid down a sick burn on Darren Rovell after the fact.

So I have to imagine he called up the kid's college dean and was like "One of your students insinuated that I like to say dumb things. Handle this situation!"

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's hilarious because the person he's tattle-telling on isn't even the one who made the (purposely ridiculous) RGIII / Hitler comparison. He's ratting out the guy who laid down a sick burn on Darren Rovell after the fact.

So I have to imagine he called up the kid's college dean and was like "One of your students insinuated that I like to say dumb things. Handle this situation!"

Is there really any indication that Rovell actually called up the kids dean and reported him? It just seemed like a joke "reported" post that we see every day in GBS. Not that Rovell isn't a gigantic douchebag, but I don't think he actually tried to get this kid in real trouble.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Darren Rovell never really makes jokes like that, I doubt it. More likely would be he internet detective'd the kid to find out his dean's name, and then is throwing it out to imply that he could get him in trouble if he wanted to.

I doubt he actually called the guy.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
You guys are definitely giving Darren "don't you know how many Twitter followers I have? This Playboy party should be catering to me" Rovell a lot more credit than I would.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Emailing a dean is like 20 steps below calling someone's mom, so yes I think a prick of a sports writer would do that

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Rovell thinking for a moment that Chuck Shipan would even give him two seconds of his time is funny enough by itself. Dude's the chair of one of the best political science departments in the country and probably has way better things* to do than kowtow to a two-bit hack reporter.

*by "better things" I mean the mountains of bullshit inherent to academia, but I digress.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That dude's joke was actually pretty good too, his Dean should be proud.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Instead of getting rewarded for having your roommate commit suicide, now you get straight As if an annoying sports writer tries to internet detective you.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sports Journalism Tumblr: Call Darren Rovell a fascist and he will call your principal

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Frackie Robinson posted:

I thought a Cavalier was the same as a cavalryman, which invokes American heroes like Jeb Stuart and Kit Carson.

Royalists during the English Civil Wars.

They'd have probably worn badass plate armor into battle though.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
E: Wow, totally not the MLB GDT.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Sash! posted:

Royalists during the English Civil Wars.

They'd have probably worn badass plate armor into battle though.

The Cavaliers also lost the English Civil War, so I don't know what Cleveland was thinking.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zakharov posted:

I think the problem is that here we all know how much of a loving tool Darren Rovell is. I mean, this is a man who registered a Twitter account for his newborn child.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 9, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

I think the problem is that here we all know how much of a gently caress tool Darren Rovell is. I mean, this is a man who registered a Twitter account for his newborn child.

We already know how much a fucktool Darren Rovell is. That's why we really should all ignore him, and ignore all of his dumb pleas for attention. he should simply be mocked, and never addressed. Then he will fade into nothingness.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

We already know how much a fucktool Darren Rovell is. That's why we really should all ignore him, and ignore all of his dumb pleas for attention. he should simply be mocked, and never addressed. Then he will fade into nothingness.
He will die and his consciousness will be uploaded into an ethereal Twitter account.

midwat
May 6, 2007

I think it's really funny that a man whose reason for being is "brand and perception management" is universally reviled.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

midwat posted:

I think it's really funny that a man whose reason for being is "brand and perception management" is universally reviled.
He's built a pretty durable brand for himself. That counts for something.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

midwat posted:

There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The best thing:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-wish-i-could-get-through-to-you-with-a-sports-an,35732/

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

PFTCommenter interviewed the guy that Rovell tattletaled on.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/04/interview-man-got-tattled-espn-idiot-darren-rovell.html

Dude is pretty funny.

quote:

Is Charles Shipan your teacher are your RA or what exactly is he threatening?

Chuck is the chair of the Department of Political Science at the University of Michigan, where I earned my Ph.D. I then taught there for a year as adjunct faculty before returning to the private sector. I don’t know what Darren thought would come of dragging poor Chuck’s name into any of this. I don’t think Darren’s ever been reprimanded for *being* an rear end in a top hat on Twitter, so I don’t think that it was realistic for him to expect someone else to be sent to detention for *calling* him an rear end in a top hat on Twitter.

At any rate, presumably Darren Googled my full name and then zeroed in on the first authority figure he could find that had any presumptive relationship with me. To be fair, that is much more background research than Darren bothered to do in 2011 when he implied that NBA players were single-handedly propping up the sex trade in New York City, so he may be growing into his job yet.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Prisoner posted:

Considering that in 1899, the Spiders were basically torn apart by the Robinson brothers (the owners). They traded their best players to the St. Louis Cardinals who were owned by...the Robinson Brothers.

They then proceeded to have the worst season, losing 134 games, which still hasn't been topped. They lost 101 games on the road. Their home attendance would make Marlin games look like Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Anyway bring back the Cleveland Naps.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

PFTCommenter interviewed the guy that Rovell tattletaled on.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/04/interview-man-got-tattled-espn-idiot-darren-rovell.html

Dude is pretty funny.

hahaha this guy owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
This thread's namesake is on Twitter right now blaming the Pittsburgh school stabbing on anti-bullying hysteria, the lack of male teachers, harsher punishments for in-school fighting, and the lack of armed security guards. This is a new low even for garbage like him.