Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Super Smash Bros. 4 confirmed for Summer release...for the 3DS. WiiU version is a Winter release.

This console is officially hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TaurusOxford posted:

Super Smash Bros. 4 confirmed for Summer release...for the 3DS. WiiU version is a Winter release.

This console is officially hosed.

:munch:

Oh man, REALLY? Source?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Soul Glo posted:

Oh man, REALLY? Source?

Also: Why?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Soul Glo posted:

Oh man, REALLY? Source?

It just got announced in the Nintendo Direct for Smash Bros.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/08/super-smash-bros-3ds-wii-u-release-windows-revealed

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Wheany posted:

Also: Why?

Why rush to put out a game no one's gonna buy, I guess.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Winter? So it's not even ready in time for Christmas shopping season? Awesome.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Kevyn posted:

Winter? So it's not even ready in time for Christmas shopping season? Awesome.

The IGN link says "Winter 2014" which puts it in the Christmas release window. Unless we're talking fiscal calenders but Nintendo only talks like that to investers/shareholders strictly.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

So now we're down to Mario Kart and A New Zelda?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't imagine that they are done with the 3DS version by summer, and the Wii U version actually needs more time to finish.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Peel posted:

So now we're down to Mario Kart and A New Zelda?

I'm not sure where you're getting A New Zelda from?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Why would you assume Winter 2014 is too late for Christmas shopping? Winter 2014 would generally include November and December, possibly October. I doubt they'll launch it Dec. 31.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Wii U is hosed. No Smash until after the 3DS version? Not even a question.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you're going to sell systems, you generally need a game, and people are probably more receptive to buying a new system near the holiday. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Fancy Hat! posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting A New Zelda from?
... it's been announced for ages now and they've said they were going to show it at this year's E3 in a direct a while ago?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemming posted:

If you're going to sell systems, you generally need a game, and people are probably more receptive to buying a new system near the holiday. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Except the same game (with different stages) will be out months earlier. Unless the Wii U version has exclusives characters (it doesn't) or some kind of insane new feature, why bother dishing out the money for it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PrBacterio posted:

... it's been announced for ages now and they've said they were going to show it at this year's E3 in a direct a while ago?

Are you talking about Zelda Warriors?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I sure hope that release date means their game to fill the gap between Mario Kart and Smash Brothers is Bayonetta 2.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Except the same game (with different stages) will be out months earlier. Unless the Wii U version has exclusives characters (it doesn't) or some kind of insane new feature, why bother dishing out the money for it?

Well, you can't sit 4 people in front of a 3DS. That probably matters for some people.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
The guy that directs Zelda said that he would talk about it more at E3 2014.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

ImpAtom posted:

Considering the 3ds version had a completely exclusive multiplayer game mode revealed, having an insane new feature is likely.

Edit: I'm guessing it will just be the stage creator though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I can't imagine that they are done with the 3DS version by summer, and the Wii U version actually needs more time to finish.
Nah, 3DS version will be done by summer. Is Namco known for bad delays? The fact that they set a more concrete date than '2014' would tell me they're pretty close. We'll probably get the exact 3DS release date at E3 (June 1-3).

It makes you wonder what the heck is holding up the Wii U version that it's going to come 4+ months later. Obviously the stages are different, but the characters, trophies, items, etc. should be the same assets but scaled down to 3DS. And it's not like 3DS isn't doing online.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
I will admit, that Smash WiiU releasing six months later than Smash 3DS indicates one of either two things: either there's going to be a hell of a lot more content than the 3DS version, or Nintendo's waving the white flag on the WiiU and will give minimal support until its successor is ready. Considering the stream also confirmed a (really neat-looking) 3DS exclusive multiplayer mode, my money's on the latter. :v:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Electromax posted:

Why would you assume Winter 2014 is too late for Christmas shopping? Winter 2014 would generally include November and December, possibly October. I doubt they'll launch it Dec. 31.

Do you live in Westeros or something? Winter starts on like December 21.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Saying Winter 2014 is real dumb when you pay attention to game releases/actual seasons. Winter 2014 actually ended last month.

It seems like if they wanted it out in time for Christmas, they'd have said "Holiday 2014." Just like every other time any company ever releases a game meant to be bought at Christmas.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 9, 2014

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

Are you talking about Zelda Warriors?

I believe they are talking about the 4chan E3 rumored Zelda, TLOZ: Eternal Sunshine(I think that was what they called it). Supposedly based on the 1st half of the game in perpetual sunlight and the second half of the game in complete darkness. Supposedly inspired by Western RPGs and focuses heavily on exploration and isolation.

Ninja edit: I found a screen cap: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/quite-an-interesting-zelda-concept-from-4chan.453900711/

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Let's see how we can interpret "Winter 2014":

-This past January or February, a period of time that has already passed
-Next January or February, when it will no longer be 2014
-This upcoming winter, but before 2014 ends

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Cool so they expect to release it in the nine or so days before the end of the year, good to know!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

When I first saw this link, I thought it meant there was a Windows version revealed and my reaction was pretty much ":eyepop:"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's probably November-December and if they can't finish on time they'll just bump it to February the same way they did with Tropical Freeze.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's probably November-December and if they can't finish on time they'll just bump it to February the same way they did with Tropical Freeze.

So waht you're saying is to expect it May 2015.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It doesn't really matter when it comes out because it won't sell.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Electromax posted:

Well, you can't sit 4 people in front of a 3DS. That probably matters for some people.

Those people have to also want to buy a WiiU and purchase 4 controllers. My gut says thats not a ton of people who wouldn't already own a 3DS or haven't already bought a WiiU.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Supercar Gautier posted:

Well, it could easily be in 2015--for example Nintendo's fiscal year 2013 ended in March 2014. I don't think they're dumb enough to actually do that, but just because they said 2014 doesn't mean it'll necessarily be before Dec 31, since fiscal years are weird.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barudak posted:

Those people have to also want to buy a WiiU and purchase 4 controllers. My gut says thats not a ton of people who wouldn't already own a 3DS or haven't already bought a WiiU.
Well, one person has to buy a Wii U and the others just have to bring over their Wii Remotes when they get together. I'm assuming this wouldn't be their very first Smash Bros and that most Smash fans still play Brawl currently, so they should still have them.

I just don't expect it to sell a whole ton of systems. 1 purchase out of every 4 smash fans is not a good ratio.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

waffle posted:

Well, it could easily be in 2015--for example Nintendo's fiscal year 2013 ended in March 2014. I don't think they're dumb enough to actually do that, but just because they said 2014 doesn't mean it'll necessarily be before Dec 31, since fiscal years are weird.

I'd like to think Nintendo's marketing team isn't dumb enough to announce release dates to the general public in the form of fiscal years, but hahaha

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

waffle posted:

There's a difference between Q4 2014 in investor documents and Winter 2014 in a video for the general public. The game is coming out before Christmas.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Let's just admit that there is not a release date that would have appeased this thread.

Out today? Are they idiots not to advertise it?!? No one will notice.

In May? And compete with Mario Kart?

In the Summer? Nobody will buy that if the 3DS version is out at the same time. July is the worst month for video game releases.

Fall? And compete against ____ due out at the same time? They are best releasing it around the Holidays when people will notice it!

Winter? Too late, nobody is going to buy it then.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I really sincerely doubt it would work, but I'll bet the reason why they decided to release the 3DS version first is to drum up hype for the Wii U version. Nintendo's confident that Smash is going to be a hit, and they're probably hanging their hopes for the Wii U on people playing the 3DS version, and wanting to play on the TV. If they did it the other way around, the Wii U version wouldn't generate nearly as much good word of mouth as the 3DS version would just because there are so many more people who have a 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astro7x posted:

Let's just admit that there is not a release date that would have appeased this thread.

Out today? Are they idiots not to advertise it?!? No one will notice.

In May? And compete with Mario Kart?

In the Summer? Nobody will buy that if the 3DS version is out at the same time. July is the worst month for video game releases.

Fall? And compete against ____ due out at the same time? They are best releasing it around the Holidays when people will notice it!

Winter? Too late, nobody is going to buy it then.

The strawman is strong in this one.

Smash is a hit dude regardless of what it would have come up against, you have a gigantic gap between one version and the other and the differences between are almost nil.

Its a dumb move.

• Locked thread