Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just finished Blindsight. This thread is great for random recommendations. That book was awesome even if I only barely understood it.

I'm about halfway through The Fractal Prince, on audiobook so I'm probably spelling Sobernost wrong, and I thought it was really neat how the dragons were kind of a parallel to the Rorschach except since they were created by the Sobernost they were able to contain them in virtual machine. That bit aside, I'm liking it but it feels very transitional so far, like it's not going to have very much standalone story. So much background which was somewhat needed but maybe there could have been a bit more in the first book and a bit less here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Can anyone recommend Red Rising, and is it worth getting a physical copy of A Natural History of Dragons over the kindle version due to illustrations?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Groke posted:

You probably would remember at least for the protagonist being lost in a bunch of tunnels for what seemed like half of the first book although that's probably my memory playing tricks on me

It's like 80-100 pages, but yeah, it goes on a bit.

And then in the last book he's back in the tunnels for 300 pages or so. Luckily there are other interesting things going on at that point.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

coyo7e posted:

I heard similar things and passed this one over recently, instead getting "The Red Knight", by Miles Cameron. I'm enjoying it 5 chapters in. Standard political intrigue stuff going on with a small unit of mercenaries led by the titular character who are trying to make a buck while not being played by their employers, while the edges of civilization are fighting back with weird monsters and talking dire beasts against human encroachment. Most knights are just douchebags who try to shank each other and step on peasants. There's also a pseudo-Christianity religion going on, and some magic. Two or three weird monsters have been killed so far. The queen is a bit anti-feminist, she spent a good bit instructing her mades on how to lead knights around by their dicks, early in.
Most of the way through this book, it was longer than I expected from the battle tempo which picks up early and never lets off. In Audio version it's pretty easy to keep up with the scene changes mid-chapter due to the "X Location - Y Character" perspective intro each time it switches. I'm looking forward to the next books in this series because it's a rollicking good time involving dudes in heavy armor killing monsters and each other for about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total pages, with a decent muddying of the morality waters from all sides along the trip.

I keep wanting to insert this story into an Arthurian rewrite though, a lot of names and locations are recognizable, although they may be spelled differently than they were pronounced in the audio version. The trials and travails of sir "Gawenn" (sp) certainly struck me, as well as a couple of others. There's also one character whom I could easily see turning into Lancelot without much trouble in later books..

regularizer posted:

Can anyone recommend Red Rising, and is it worth getting a physical copy of A Natural History of Dragons over the kindle version due to illustrations?
I don't know about that particular one however, I've had excellent luck looking at inset illustrations via amazon kindle web browser reader. It made all the stuff in Words of Radiance a hell of a lot easier to make out.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 8, 2014

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Nevvy Z posted:

I just finished Blindsight. This thread is great for random recommendations. That book was awesome even if I only barely understood it.

I'm about halfway through The Fractal Prince, on audiobook so I'm probably spelling Sobernost wrong, and I thought it was really neat how the dragons were kind of a parallel to the Rorschach except since they were created by the Sobernost they were able to contain them in virtual machine. That bit aside, I'm liking it but it feels very transitional so far, like it's not going to have very much standalone story. So much background which was somewhat needed but maybe there could have been a bit more in the first book and a bit less here.

It may have been influenced by Blindsight, but I wouldn't be sure. The idea is older than Watts, but it may have alerted Rajaniemi to it, and that may have been his solution.

It would very much surprise me if there weren't more exploration of it in The Causal Angel.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Neurosis posted:

It may have been influenced by Blindsight, but I wouldn't be sure. The idea is older than Watts, but it may have alerted Rajaniemi to it, and that may have been his solution.

It would very much surprise me if there weren't more exploration of it in The Causal Angel.

It just really jumped out having been done close together. Also the golgol of the tiger war guy specifically was talking about being able to emulate emotions he didn't have, perfectly which was another major topic near the end of Blindsight.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Most of the way through this book, it was longer than I expected from the battle tempo which picks up early and never lets off. In Audio version it's pretty easy to keep up with the scene changes mid-chapter due to the "X Location - Y Character" perspective intro each time it switches. I'm looking forward to the next books in this series because it's a rollicking good time involving dudes in heavy armor killing monsters and each other for about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total pages, with a decent muddying of the morality waters from all sides along the trip.

I keep wanting to insert this story into an Arthurian rewrite though, a lot of names and locations are recognizable, although they may be spelled differently than they were pronounced in the audio version. The trials and travails of sir "Gawenn" (sp) certainly struck me, as well as a couple of others. There's also one character whom I could easily see turning into Lancelot without much trouble in later books..

Cameron does write some great, really fun battles and action/adventure. I've seen some people complain about his descriptions and the words he'll use for different armor and arms, but I think this type of stuff does a good job of reinforcing the highly chivalric medieval setting he's built.

I read an interview that Cameron did and Arthurian was one of the words he used to describe it, the second book also makes some of those parallels clearer.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So, I'm reading In Conquest Born and I have a huge doubt. Here goes:

There was a suicide mission to try and destroy the Holding, and apparently Zatar made it so that the pilot (who was a captive of Zatar's father, if I remember correctly) felt the desire to bed him. My question: Wasnt this Anzha? She remembers meeting him earlier during negotiations. How come Anzha is then later presented as being the leader of the Azea military? Didn't she die on a suicide mission against the Kaim'era? How come the Kaim'era still exist afterwards? At times I just don't know what the gently caress is going on, english is my second language and I need to interpret things differently but I haven't struggled this much most of the times. Is my ebook just hosed and the order isn't right?

Also, I hate it when writers just arbitrarily change between first and last names when refering to characters. When there's like 50 subplots, screw that.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I think I need to institute a rule about not starting new Sci-fi/Fantasy series' until they're completely written. I keep notes on series' in progress and realized that I'm waiting for new books in the following series:

1) A Song of Ice and Fire
2) Kingkiller Chronicles
3) Gentlemen Bastards
4) Stormlight Archive
5) Demon Cycle
6) Lightbringer
7) Expanse series
8) Powder Mage Trilogy
9) Raven's Shadow
10) Chronicle of Unhewn Throne

Has something changed lately that's breathed new life to these genres, or am I just making poor choices for new books?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

syphon posted:

I think I need to institute a rule about not starting new Sci-fi/Fantasy series' until they're completely written. I keep notes on series' in progress and realized that I'm waiting for new books in the following series:

2) Kingkiller Chronicles
3) Gentlemen Bastards
4) Stormlight Archive
5) Demon Cycle
6) Lightbringer
7) Expanse series
8) Powder Mage Trilogy
9) Raven's Shadow

Has something changed lately that's breathed new life to these genres, or am I just making poor choices for new books?

I think you've stumbled upon the secret fact that books don't spawn from the aether, but rather, have authors who need to take time to write them, word by word.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

syphon posted:

2) Kingkiller Chronicles
3) Gentlemen Bastards
4) Stormlight Archive
5) Demon Cycle
6) Lightbringer
7) Expanse series
8) Powder Mage Trilogy
9) Raven's Shadow

I didn't think Promise of Blood was stand-out great, but it was good enough to give the second Powder Mage book a try, and it comes out in a little less than a month so there's not much longer to wait!

Also, two other series I'm waiting for new installments in are Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series (which starts with Midnight Riot in the US or Rivers of London in the UK), and Paul Cornell's series that starts with London Falling. Both are broadly about a branch of the London metropolitan police that deal with supernatural and magical crimes, but they take very different approaches that are equally or nearly equally compelling; Aaronovitch's series is a bit more light-hearted and humorous and benefits from having five published books to build both the characters and the world, while Cornell's series is far darker, less humorous, and much more dangerous. The antagonist in the first book is a 400 year old witch that boils children alive, and the second book which comes out in late May is supposed to be about a Jack The Ripper-esque criminal, but the amazon summary makes it sound a bit different, so maybe it's changed a bit since I read an interview with Cornell last year.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

syphon posted:

4) Stormlight Archive

At least this one is likely to be done before I/Sanderson dies. That man writes more than King somehow. I've totally given up on ASoIaF until Gurrm or an apprentice finishes the drat thing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm waiting on the next book in quite a few myself, and my god it's annoying but eh, what can ya do?

Unless a new series sounds AWESOME, I tend not to get the first book because it's hell waiting on the second, third, fourth, etc. Hell, one of the times I decided I'd alter that idea and just get the first one, the author decided not to write anymore :argh:

On the flip side, outside of maybe what I call "drama books" (because I never learned the official genre for the Oprah book of the month style life altering books that seem to be about pretty much white people problems), 90% of stuff written nowadays is written as a series. It's rare to find a book in any sci fi or fantasy genre that's a single, one off book.

I think that's why I love Wolf Hunt so much. There's rumors of a sequel but it's so nicely finished off at the end that it doesn't NEED a sequel (oh god I want one so bad).

Stuff like A. Lee Martinez, some Moore, some of Strand's work are all single reads that aren't even tied together in the same universe, but I'll be damned if I can remember the last techno-thriller or fantasy I read that was just one book set in that setting and that's it.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer
The Ties That Bind series by Rob J. Hayes is a complete series and it doesn't seem to get much mention so I'll give it a plug. I liked it a lot and it is actually complete. Yes! Even if the author is swallowed by a Kraken later tonight, you can still find out what really happened.

quote:

The Heresy Within (Book 1 of The Ties that Bind)

Thanquil Darkheart is an Arbiter of the Inquisition, a witch hunter tasked with hunting down and purging heretics. Thanquil Darkheart is also something else, expendable.

The Black Thorn is a murderer, a thug, a thief and worse but he's best known for the killing of six Arbiters. These days he travels with a crew of six of the most dangerous sell-swords in the wilds.

Jezzet Vel'urn is a Blademaster; a swords-woman of prodigious skill but she knows that for a woman like her in the wilds there are two ways out of most situations; fight or gently caress. Truth is, all too often for Jezzet's liking, it comes down to a combination of the two.

quote:

The Colour of Vengeance (Book 2 of The Ties that Bind)

Beaten, battered and damned near broken with a bounty on his head so large he’s tempted to turn himself in, the Black Thorn finds himself on trial for the crime of being him. Despite the impending probability of death he has but one thought on his mind; taking revenge against the Arbiter who took his eye.

In order to carry out his vengeance Thorn must first escape Sarth and recruit a new crew, each one with their own designs on revenge.

quote:

The Price of Faith (Book 3 of The Ties that Bind)

Separated and miserable, Thanquil Darkheart and Jezzet Vel’urn both have their reasons for wanting to leave the Dragon Empire. Jezzet flees from the wrathful fury of an Empress scorned while accompanied by the ever insidious Drake Morrass and Thanquil sets out to find and judge his one heretical loose end.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm waiting on the next book in quite a few myself, and my god it's annoying but eh, what can ya do?
I think my memory is the limiting factor here. Since I'm juggling so many series (some of them spaces out over a matter of YEARS), I often don't remember characters or plot points whenever a new book is released. The new Stormlight book that just came out is a great example. I had to spend a few days reading the Re-read published on tor.com just so I felt like I could keep up with what was happening!

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

specklebang posted:

The Ties That Bind series by Rob J. Hayes is a complete series and it doesn't seem to get much mention so I'll give it a plug. I liked it a lot and it is actually complete. Yes! Even if the author is swallowed by a Kraken later tonight, you can still find out what really happened.

This sounds horrible and I'm ashamed to have even read a short summary.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Thanquil Darkheart

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

regularizer posted:

I gave it a try a while back. The very first scene was almost comically grimdark. If that's your thing, you might want to check it out, I suppose. I didn't read further.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

On the flip side, outside of maybe what I call "drama books" (because I never learned the official genre for the Oprah book of the month style life altering books that seem to be about pretty much white people problems), 90% of stuff written nowadays is written as a series. It's rare to find a book in any sci fi or fantasy genre that's a single, one off book.

Ah yes, SF, which is so deeply rooted in the minority experience, truly speaks to the troubles of the poor and disadvantaged. For example, award-winning author George R. R. Martin's deep reflections on the treatment of the poor during medieval warfare, and his characterization of dusky Dornish whores. And furthermore:

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

syphon posted:

9) Raven's Shadow

A month or two.

syphon posted:

3) Gentlemen Bastards

A year or two.

syphon posted:

A decade or two.

regularizer posted:

It seems to get pretty good feedback on goodreads and amazon. And every review seemed positive.

http://fantasyreviewbarn.com/fantasy-review-the-heresy-within-by-rob-j-hayes/ is almost convincing me to read it *heavy metal music plays*

That cover, though...

"drama books" (because I never learned the official genre for the Oprah book of the month style life altering books that seem to be about pretty much white people problems)

Future Julia Roberts/Tom Hanks Movie Adaptation Book Of The Month Club

Or, for non-fiction, How To Make Your Misbehaving Dog or Fat Kid Make Millions Through Wishful Thinking, Pseudoscience, Quasi Economics and Miracle Superjuices.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 9, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

uberkeyzer posted:

Ah yes, SF, which is so deeply rooted in the minority experience, truly speaks to the troubles of the poor and disadvantaged. For example, award-winning author George R. R. Martin's deep reflections on the treatment of the poor during medieval warfare, and his characterization of dusky Dornish whores. And furthermore:

Didn't say it was a bad thing or a good thing, just that I didn't know the term for that particular genre of books besides "fiction". There tends to be a LOT of those books that are just one off singular contained stories.

One that was mentioned to me had a dude finding the meaning of life while playing with literal poo poo, or something to that effect, and that's not something I really want to read or investigate.

Or, to take the Austin Powers route, it's not my bag baby. If it's yours, more power to ya.

My point was that it's rare to find a sci fi or fantasy book that is a singular book, not part of a series.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

regularizer posted:

I didn't think Promise of Blood was stand-out great, but it was good enough to give the second Powder Mage book a try, and it comes out in a little less than a month so there's not much longer to wait!

Also, two other series I'm waiting for new installments in are Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series (which starts with Midnight Riot in the US or Rivers of London in the UK), and Paul Cornell's series that starts with London Falling. Both are broadly about a branch of the London metropolitan police that deal with supernatural and magical crimes, but they take very different approaches that are equally or nearly equally compelling; Aaronovitch's series is a bit more light-hearted and humorous and benefits from having five published books to build both the characters and the world, while Cornell's series is far darker, less humorous, and much more dangerous. The antagonist in the first book is a 400 year old witch that boils children alive, and the second book which comes out in late May is supposed to be about a Jack The Ripper-esque criminal, but the amazon summary makes it sound a bit different, so maybe it's changed a bit since I read an interview with Cornell last year.

While you're waiting for Aaronovitch and Cornell, pick up Daniel O'Malley's The Rook. It's the only book I've read twice in the last ~7 years, can't recommend it highly enough.

Although once you've read it, you'll probably have another author you're waiting on...

Edit: Seeing as how O'Malley has a nod in the OP and he's only written the one book, there's at least 2 of us who liked it.

dublish fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 9, 2014

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

My point was that it's rare to find a sci fi or fantasy book that is a singular book, not part of a series.

Fantasy yeah but uh not really for science fiction.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer

regularizer posted:

That's why it's good that there are so many books and that we can each enjoy according to our own tastes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I just want to thank the thread for the recommendations of Blood Song and The Goblin Emperor - both very enjoyable reads (in completely different ways). The Goblin Emperor really was refreshing in its attempt to actually have a genuinely likable main character who isn't flawless, but whose flaws are comprehensible and human (goblin?) rather than being tacked-on attempts to make the main viewpoint multi-dimensional.

Now to find something to read until the next book in a series gets published - I feel like I have at least two a month through the end of the year, so that helps with the whole "waiting for series" issue.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Can someone recommend a good first Alastair Reynolds novel?

I know the Revelation Space series is his go to stuff, but would I be better off reading a standalone novel of his first to see if I like his style? I was thinking House of Suns or Pushing Ice, those are both standalones (in terms of not being a series, and not a part of the same universe as his Revelation Space books, am I right?) and seem well regarded among his works, would either of those be a good place for me to start? If so, which one of those two would be the better book to start out with?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Damo posted:

I know the Revelation Space series is his go to stuff, but would I be better off reading a standalone novel of his first to see if I like his style? I was thinking House of Suns or Pushing Ice, those are both standalones (in terms of not being a series, and not a part of the same universe as his Revelation Space books, am I right?) and seem well regarded among his works, would either of those be a good place for me to start? If so, which one of those two would be the better book to start out with?

House of Suns is excellent, a fully-contained, epic space-opera that beautifully demonstrates everything good about Reynolds. Personally I like the Rev Space books even better, so you could then move onto them.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

syphon posted:

2) Kingkiller Chronicles
3) Gentlemen Bastards
4) Stormlight Archive
5) Demon Cycle
6) Lightbringer
7) Expanse series
8) Powder Mage Trilogy
9) Raven's Shadow

That seems like it would be a stupid decision.
For instance ASOIAF will never be finished, Kingkiller seems doubtful, Lynch/Gentlemen Bastards seems to have psychic problems, Expanse is not worth reading after second book, same for Demon Cycle.
You are also setting yourself up for a wait of up to 10 years for some series, like for instance if you would have been waiting for AWOT och Malazan.
Also, you are missing out on the opportunity to bitch about books in this or other thread when a new book in the series is worse than the preceding ones.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Damo posted:

House of Suns is one of my favourite stand alone sci-fi novels, try that. His other stand alone stuff (sans Century Rain, I didn't care for it, and I usually love detective noir) is good too, as are his short stories.

Haerc fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 9, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cardiac posted:

Lynch/Gentlemen Bastards seems to have psychic problems,

All those drat psychics hounding him day and night

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

regularizer posted:

Red Rising will be the next Hunger Games, it's thematically similar & well written. It's YA and I'm not really a YA reader but I really liked it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kalman posted:

I just want to thank the thread for the recommendations of Blood Song and The Goblin Emperor - both very enjoyable reads (in completely different ways). The Goblin Emperor really was refreshing in its attempt to actually have a genuinely likable main character who isn't flawless, but whose flaws are comprehensible and human (goblin?) rather than being tacked-on attempts to make the main viewpoint multi-dimensional.

Now to find something to read until the next book in a series gets published - I feel like I have at least two a month through the end of the year, so that helps with the whole "waiting for series" issue.

*does the Cossack Dance of Self-Approval*

You'll enjoy The Thousand Names by Django Wexler and The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

I detached myself from series panic some time in the 90s while waiting for Wizard and Glass. Now I could give a gently caress if an author ends a series. If an individual book is worth reading, it's worth reading. I think of stories not as closed loops, but snapshots in character's lives. If the snapshot turns out to be shorter than expected, then so be it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiac posted:

Expanse is not worth reading after second book

So true. I was pumped for Abbadon's Gate, but then it ended up being "Oh, they added three books to our contract, time to spin the wheels while we come up with ways to extend the plot forever".

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So true. I was pumped for Abbadon's Gate, but then it ended up being "Oh, they added three books to our contract, time to spin the wheels while we come up with ways to extend the plot forever".

They extended the contract after book 1, so my theory is that book 2 was the filler book (because it doesn't deal directly with the protomolecule that crashed onto Venus, just human experiments using the protomolecule IIRC; still the best of the lot so far though!) and book 3 is what book 2 was going to be.

Book 3 is definitely the worst so far. If I'm right, book 3 is the middle book of the original envisaged trilogy. Hopefully things get better with Cibola Burn.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Pretty much my guess as well.
One of the authors behind the pseudonym Corey is Daniel Abraham, the author of the Dragon's Path, which is another series that would have benefited from a more compact storyline. Last book in that series was pretty bad, and I'm putting that one at hold for now.

I'm getting sick of authors that can't keep their storyline together and has to extend the series while writing it. WoT and ASOIAF are main offenders, and I'm still pleasantly surprised Malazan never really turned bad over 10 books, which is a major accomplishment.
In contrast to these, LOTR is a really short series, consisting of only 3 books, roughly 1200 pages, has a cohesive storyline, a lot of characters and could easily have been trimmed by 200 pages.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cardiac posted:

WoT and ASOIAF are main offenders, and I'm still pleasantly surprised Malazan never really turned bad over 10 books, which is a major accomplishment.
Well there wasn't really any way for it to get worse. :v:

Seriously, though, I'm also really sick of this whole "let's write ten books where three would do and then peter out somewhere around the middle because everybody got sick of waiting" trend. I try not to touch anything that isn't already finished or at least has a definite end date anymore, because it'll either flounder completely or turn into an incomprehensible halfway through.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You guys read The Demon Squad books at all? By Tim Marquitz.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Megazver posted:

*does the Cossack Dance of Self-Approval*

You'll enjoy The Thousand Names by Django Wexler and The Rook by Daniel O'Malley.

The Rook was excellent; the Django Wexler stuff looked doubtful on Amazon, but you have a good track record, I will give it a shot.

Right now working my way through some republished Tim Powers, some of his earliest work - the Skies Discrowned and An Epitaph In Rust. Skies is good so far, very much a combination of a Neverwhere "London Underground" vibe with something like Karl Schroeder's Permanence in terms of a slowly disintegrating stellar civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ravenkult posted:

You guys read The Demon Squad books at all? By Tim Marquitz.

I've read the first couple. Weirdly enough I bought the first one cause I was like "WTF is Lowtax doing on a book cover?"

Welp, wasn't him obviously, but still an interesting read. Not the greatest and after the 3rd? or 4th book is kinda goes completely batshit off the rails (kinda like a king novel goes from a horrifying clown/monster to a giant alien spider that's killed by a preteen orgy and a slingshot), so I quit reading em.

They don't really vary in "good" or "bad" levels of writing, so if you read the first one it's a good indication of how the rest read.