Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

SybilVimes posted:

I wonder if they're able to differentiate between members of the nightshades, ie, if you die from bad potatoes or tomatos does it show up as that?

He ate Heinz cream of tomato soup before death. He had vommed it all up in the bathroom. But he has been eating tomatoes all his life. Apparently the scuffers took away a plant (Never saw that and they didn't tell me), the coroner just assumed they had told us. As I am the one who found him, if the police knew he had taken a poison, why didn't they question me beyond normal? I had to be a suspect :confused:

e:On this day in 2013 champagne and firworks sales skyrocketed.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SybilVimes posted:

I wonder if they're able to differentiate between members of the nightshades, ie, if you die from bad potatoes or tomatos does it show up as that?

IIRC you'd need to eat about 10kgs of completely-green potatoes for it to have even mild symptoms.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
We just spoke briefly on FB but I'm going to add that it's also an alternative medicine thing. I've genuinely never heard of someone even attempting to eat Belladonna to get high, it would be ferociously unpleasant, risky, and worse in price/ease of use than the similar Nutmeg. But people confusing the berries or just eating them anyway for pain relief is fairly common.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Zero Gravitas, are you the UKMT goon with a Norwegian girlfriend? I'm assuming whenever you go visit you bring alcohol with you from the UK, any tricks on making sure it doesn't smash in the suitcase? The allowance is 1ltr spirits, 1.5litr wine, and 2litr beer, so I'm bringing some whisky, two bottles of buckfast and some highland ales.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Coohoolin posted:

two bottles of buckfast
That's a pretty mean trick to play on some unsuspecting Norwegians. When I've flown with booze I've always just packed it in with plenty of clothing around it, bottles are pretty tough. If you're worried get some bubble wrap.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Coohoolin posted:

two bottles of buckfast

the most Scottish thing its possible to do, ever.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Zero Gravitas, are you the UKMT goon with a Norwegian girlfriend? I'm assuming whenever you go visit you bring alcohol with you from the UK, any tricks on making sure it doesn't smash in the suitcase? The allowance is 1ltr spirits, 1.5litr wine, and 2litr beer, so I'm bringing some whisky, two bottles of buckfast and some highland ales.

Decant it into plastic lemonade bottles then wrap it in your underpants.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Fiancee now for getting on for 18 months - although now we've got a nice little setup south of croydon. Her family arent that big on drinking so we normally only grab a couple of bottles of Akkevit when we go through. I guess the best advice I could give would be to take it in your hand luggage or if you have to take it in your suitcase wrap those mothers up in a lot of layers of socks and boxer shorts.

It should be said that Vinmonopolet are really good and normally have stuff from all over the world on their shelves so you can even look on their website and see if your nearest store has something you want in stock. The one in central Kristiansand even had some obscure St Austell brewery stuff on their shelves the last time I went in there.

big scary monsters posted:

That's a pretty mean trick to play on some unsuspecting Norwegians. When I've flown with booze I've always just packed it in with plenty of clothing around it, bottles are pretty tough. If you're worried get some bubble wrap.

That stuff wont faze many Norwegians. Akkevit is pretty strong stuff and they even have a godawful vodka liqueur thing that is salted licorice flavored :cry:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm making up for the Bucky by bringing a nice bottle of Ainoc, chill. SAS doesn't let you take store-bought alcohol in your carry-on, do they? Socks and boxer shorts wrapping it is then. I'd rather get a jump start on the state monopoly for the first half of the week anyway because prices, man.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renaissance Robot posted:

I have an interview tomorrow and it's always good to look cheerful :toot:

Job status: :getin:

It's only temp admin stuff for the Lancashire care trust, but from the sound of it I'll have plenty of hours at more than minimum wage and a real contract, all in all a step up from the crappy bar I was stuck in before.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

Job status: :getin:

It's only temp admin stuff for the Lancashire care trust, but from the sound of it I'll have plenty of hours at more than minimum wage and a real contract, all in all a step up from the crappy bar I was stuck in before.

Well done, I'd kill for that. Also try to get on the bank list for the local NHS trust. In other news I have learnt more about native Essex vegetation than I have ever known, and spent the afternoon prowling the local environment stopping like a dog at every bit of green to examine. No sign of it. :iiam: Even though I can't picture my brother foraging for food, given how picky he was about food. Also, apparently the police found some red berries on the bathroom floor where he had been sick, and the coppers had removed a plant from the flat (news to me) but I don't think a Nightshade bush would be unnoticed by me before they swiped it. I think they have found some thing that looked like weed and snaffled it hoping for an easy tug. Thanks for the replies. I can't even conceive the odds of this being the outcome.

old chubbyknees
Jul 10, 2006
Who bez?

Coohoolin posted:

I always buy stuff from the shops at the airport so that I can bring it onto the plane by hand. Especially since Norway's outside the EU, making it duty free

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

old chubbyknees posted:

I always buy stuff from the shops at the airport so that I can bring it onto the plane by hand. Especially since Norway's outside the EU, making it duty free

Yeah but I can't get Buckfast at the duty free. In any case I've done the shopping and am packing now:

If anything breaks after all that I will be pissed off.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Coohoolin posted:

Yeah but I can't get Buckfast at the duty free. In any case I've done the shopping and am packing now:

Should we let anyone know if you get spirited off to Guantanamo?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Hyuk!

Wait a minute... you can buy glass bottles at the duty free and take them onto the plane?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

KKKlean Energy posted:

Hyuk!

Wait a minute... you can buy glass bottles at the duty free and take them onto the plane?

You can. But they need to go into a specially sealed bag.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Aberlour is a Good Choice.

old chubbyknees
Jul 10, 2006
Who bez?

Pissflaps posted:

You can. But they need to go into a specially sealed bag.

Only if you have a connecting flight. Anything you buy after the security checkpoint you can bring on a plane

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

James Angleton
Jesus, Angleton!

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo

The Higgins has landed :siren: : http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26932969

The fact that we are in a landscape where the Irish Head of State can visit Britain freely (FOR THE FIRST TIME, MIND) speaks volumes to the arduous cooperation that has led to this moment, and likewise to the Queens visit a while back. What a fuckin understatement-- it's a friggen miracle :v:

So cheers to all! May a bright, very non-bloody future lie ahead of us; not just for the Irish, not just for the British, but for us together, as individually beautiful nations, peoples, and cultures! As neighbours! :cheers:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

That Irish Guy posted:

The fact that we are in a landscape where the Irish Head of State can visit Britain freely (FOR THE FIRST TIME, MIND) speaks volumes to the arduous cooperation that has led to this moment, and likewise to the Queens visit a while back. What a fuckin understatement-- it's a friggen miracle :v:

So cheers to all! May a bright, very non-bloody future lie ahead of us; not just for the Irish, not just for the British, but for us together, as individually beautiful nations, peoples, and cultures! As neighbours! :cheers:

As long as you take Northern Ireland on the plane back, the sentiment is shared.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

TinTower posted:

As long as you take Northern Ireland on the plane back, the sentiment is shared.

Awwwww, but we were hoping to "forget" it at the terminal and we swear we thought we had our eye on it, honest!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Coohoolin posted:

I now have every urge to run to the corner shop and buy a couple of bottles of Fraoch because that stuff is magical.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

TinTower posted:

It's a mythical land where health and social care are integrated, right-wingers oppose privatisation and Michael Gove has no power.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Just heard a talk by John Mann MP (who first conplained about Miller) about why she should resign from the cabinet. Decent speech, he was saying that a fair amount of the new tory MPs are pissed at her aswell, as they are costing them votes aswell. Also he read out a letter that she wrote to constituents expresserly about the need for transparency when it comes to MPs expenses.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

TinTower posted:

Julie Burchill opens a pub! :v:

Still hoping to see the Swan & Pedo someday.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nothing to seehere posted:

Just heard a talk by John Mann MP (who first conplained about Miller) about why she should resign from the cabinet. Decent speech, he was saying that a fair amount of the new tory MPs are pissed at her aswell, as they are costing them votes aswell. Also he read out a letter that she wrote to constituents expresserly about the need for transparency when it comes to MPs expenses.

So, forget to declare 20 quid of income off eBay and you should be hounded to the ends of the Earth, defraud taxpayers of £40k and you just have to say you're sorry (and expecting you to pay it back is a witch hunt).

Of course if she'd stolen a couple of billion from taxpayers she'd already be getting the robes ready for her damehood.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So, forget to declare 20 quid of income off eBay and you should be hounded to the ends of the Earth, defraud taxpayers of £40k and you just have to say you're sorry (and expecting you to pay it back is a witch hunt).

Of course if she'd stolen a couple of billion from taxpayers she'd already be getting the robes ready for her damehood.

His view was that her status as a MP or fraudster should be challenged by the local people/police respectivly, parliment should only be involved in fixing the system and removing her minister status. Managed to go on enough about conparison to welfare claiments to think he was pushing for something further, thought.

A few Tories tryed to go to the talk to disrupt it, but was turned away at the door. How the leader of the local tories thought she'd get unnoticed into a labour party meeting is beyond.

EDIT: regional labour party/MPs have been oddly silent on the issue of Maria Miller, even trying to discourage the local parlimentary candidate from turning up for some reason because it might tarnish his reputation. This goes deeper than we know?

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 8, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

That Irish Guy posted:

Yeah as a native of Norn Iron it's amazing to see this, when I was a wee one this would be unthinkable or if it happened would legitimately require a bigger security operation than Dubya's people thought he needed. It's really heartening, and although there are still bumps and will be trials in the future, it really does look like we might have an enduring solution. :unsmith:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

nothing to seehere posted:

His view was that her status as a MP or fraudster should be challenged by the local people/police respectivly, parliment should only be involved in fixing the system and removing her minister status.

It's a good thing that Power of Recall bill is being pushed through as quickly as possible still sitting in a drawer then.

(Labour MPs want the Miller scandal to go away as much as the Tories because they were also caught with their hands in the till when it all blew up in 2009)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

That Irish Guy posted:

Awwwww, but we were hoping to "forget" it at the terminal and we swear we thought we had our eye on it, honest!

What if they lose it on the flight and it ends up in Boston? They always seemed keen to have it.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Fire Brigade: Don't put your toaster on its side to make toasted cheese

:shobon::respek::britain:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

As daft as it may be, I watched all :stare: as a former housemate did that, with bonus ingenuity of instead of a slice of mighty white it was a burger bun that then got trapped in there, as bubbling fromage ignited.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Its more a question of making decent cheese on toast than the fire risk. You need to toast your bread on both sides before you add the cheese.

Adding cheese to an untoasted side of bread is the act of a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue.

Some things should never be done.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

quote:

A picture of a toaster on its side with some cheese on toast in it under a giant red cross could not make the message any clearer.

Crew Manager Nick Morley, from the Norbury station, said: "I never thought I'd have to give this advice as it's painfully obvious, but if you want cheese on toast use a grill not a toaster.

It's refreshing to see both article and spokesperson being completely blunt for a change.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why didn't it work? It looks like it should work. That photo in the article makes it look really tempting actually.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Grills are fine for all toast in general, just turn the bread over a couple of times. Gas is cheaper too.

Or if you don't have a gas grill, one of those small toaster ovens will do most toasted things and use less power than a full sized electric oven grill element.

General China posted:

Some things should never be done.
I assume using those little toastie bags that go in a toaster, and cutting the bread diagonally also fall under this?

edit:

Tortuga posted:

Why didn't it work? It looks like it should work. That photo in the article makes it look really tempting actually.
Hard to say. Maybe some melted cheese rolled down and hit the bottom set of elements. Maybe the electromagnetic catch that releases the spring and turns off the elements didn't work when the toaster was on its side, and so the toaster kept on toasting until something caught fire. Maybe the lack of airflow (the slots provide a chimney flue effect when upright) caused something to overheat? I wouldn't try it without keeping a close eye on it.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 9, 2014

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Tortuga posted:

That was my first thought. I wouldn't have thought it would even fit in the toaster, don't they have prongs that move in to keep the bread off the elements?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

General China posted:

Its more a question of making decent cheese on toast than the fire risk. You need to toast your bread on both sides before you add the cheese.

Bung it in the toaster, take it out, on with butter and cheese, under the grill for all of a minute :effort:

If you need some quick energy to keep you going through this lengthy and arduous process, I guess you could always open a bag of crisps :btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
What the gently caress kind of people are you making cheese toasties with a toaster? Use a pan like a proper person.

• Locked thread