Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

Not that it'd really fly today, but Spider-man pretty much beat the crap out of Doom the first time they met. Although I guess he might've had some more tricks up his sleeve, he did decide to leave because the FF were showing up or something.

I just bring that up because I imagined a Latveria-born Spidey taking down the oppressive government and becoming KING SPIDER.

That's the one where Doom is able to track Spider-Man down to within something like a 3-foot radius but ends up capturing Flash Thompson wearing a Spidey-Suit as part of a prank gone wrong at Peter's expense, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jerusalem posted:

That's the one where Doom is able to track Spider-Man down to within something like a 3-foot radius but ends up capturing Flash Thompson wearing a Spidey-Suit as part of a prank gone wrong at Peter's expense, right?

Yeah, it's a great classic story. John Byrne thought the fact that Spidey was able to hold his own against Doom was unacceptable and retold the story with Peter incompetently getting his poo poo pushed in in Spider-man: Chapter One. Thankfully, only me and Rhyno remember that stupid attempt at a reboot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, it's a great classic story. John Byrne thought the fact that Spidey was able to hold his own against Doom was unacceptable and retold the story with Peter incompetently getting his poo poo pushed in in Spider-man: Chapter One. Thankfully, only me and Rhyno remember that stupid attempt at a reboot.

If there was a cheaply available graphic novel every BSSSS participant would know the horror by now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sadly I remember Chapter One all too well. Every issue ended on a cliffhanger of Spidey fighting one villain, then the next issue opened on Spider-Man in peril from a DIFFERENT villain, before returning to the previous cliffhanger, explaining how he got into peril with the new villain, then ending on a cliffhanger of him fighting ANOTHER villain, then the next issue would open with him in peril from a DIFFERENT villain etc, etc.

It was such a lovely loving series, and Byrne's art was so sloppy and rushed that I have to keep reminding myself that it was him who did it and not Dan Jurgens.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

The art is uh, something, but the doombot girlfriends and doombot Captain America childhood adventure is just :allears:

Richards! Behold my superior parenting strategies :doom:

I just like to imagine that since they're specifically doombots as opposed to just robots, all of his girlfriends, etc. were just fully suited Dr. Dooms wearing bad disguises over their armor.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Batman we need to have a serious talk about your mask addiction.

(Batman #60)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bakanogami posted:

I just like to imagine that since they're specifically doombots as opposed to just robots, all of his girlfriends, etc. were just fully suited Dr. Dooms wearing bad disguises over their armor.

This is also exactly the picture I had in mind. All Doombots must look like Doom first and foremost; costuming is secondary. :doom:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alex Ross draws an Archie cover for an alternate reality story where Archie dies.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Alex Ross draws an Archie cover for an alternate reality story where Archie dies.

Jughead seems to have found a supply of Smilex gas.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That's not Archie, that's Jimmy Olsen in disguise!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Smug rear end Jughead is great. Everything else is either horrifying or awkward.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

Smug rear end Jughead is great. Everything else is either horrifying or awkward.
And Betty is Vanessa Bayer!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
This is the last thing a hitchhiker sees after being stuck in the trunk of a jalopy for a couple hundred miles.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

The MSJ posted:

I just want to know why men don't have nostrils in this reality.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Xavier and Hank need to help out in The Beauty and the Beast.

This is a comic that Marvel actually published...

The MSJ posted:

The saga continues:

:fry:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Maltose posted:

This is the last thing a hitchhiker sees after being stuck in the trunk of a jalopy for a couple hundred miles.

"For as long as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster."

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Sefer posted:

I just want to know why men don't have nostrils in this reality.

Smughead

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Black hole sun
Won't you come

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr Ray Stantz: I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. The Archie Gang!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Nice thinkin', Ray.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Fuego Fish posted:

Batman we need to have a serious talk about your mask addiction.

(Batman #60)

Man I am confused as gently caress.

Villain forces Batman to pretend to be Bruce Wayne pretend to be Batman, and Bruce Wayne has a Bruce Wayne mask made to wear under his Batman mask. So the villain, to prove that Bruce Wayne is Batman, puts a smear of ink on Bruce Wayne's face while he's wearing a Bruce Wayne mask, so that when he takes off the Batman mask, you'll know that it's Bruce Wayne and not a Bruce Wayne mask, but Bruce Wayne has secretly put on a second Bruce Wayne mask that he was keeping in his utility belt, so when he removes his Batman mask, you see that it's not Bruce Wayne, but Bruce Wayne wearing a Bruce Wayne mask!

Do I have that right?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Sockser posted:

Villain forces Batman to pretend to be Bruce Wayne pretend to be Batman, and Bruce Wayne has a Bruce Wayne mask made to wear under his Batman mask. So the villain, to prove that Bruce Wayne is Batman, puts a smear of ink on Bruce Wayne's face while he's wearing a Bruce Wayne mask, so that when he takes off the Batman mask, you'll know that it's Bruce Wayne and not a Bruce Wayne mask, but Bruce Wayne has secretly put on a second Bruce Wayne mask that he was keeping in his utility belt, so when he removes his Batman mask, you see that it's not Bruce Wayne, but Bruce Wayne wearing a Bruce Wayne mask!

Do I have that right?

The Aristocrats!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Sockser posted:

Do I have that right?
hosed if I know. Why are the villains stuck to a massive hoover at the start there? I do like how Robin is all "I've had just about enough of your poo poo" in the last panel though.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

Sockser posted:

Do I have that right?

it looks like he might have a batman mask under his bruce wayne mask under his batman mask.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
I would love to see the Scooby Doo gang removing an endless stream of Bruce Wayne/Batman masks.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sockser posted:

Do I have that right?

The villain Shark Marlin suspected Bruce Wayne was Batman all along, and to prove his suspicions, put a small black stain on Batman's face when adjusting his mask. Marlin made the small stain hard to notice, so it wouldn't be wiped off on purpose, and so he'd be able to ID Batman/Bruce Wayne again later, and be able to call Bruce Wayne out.

It appears that Marlin saw Batman's face was Bruce Wayne's during the mask tugging, but Batman was one step ahead, aware that Marlin suspected he was Bruce Wayne. To foil Marlin, but not tip him off, he wore a Bruce Wayne mask under the Batman cowl. Under that Bruce Wayne mask, Batman was wearing the Batman cowl. And under that is the real Bruce Wayne.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Red posted:

The villain Shark Marlin suspected Bruce Wayne was Batman all along, and to prove his suspicions, put a small black stain on Batman's face when adjusting his mask. Marlin made the small stain hard to notice, so it wouldn't be wiped off on purpose, and so he'd be able to ID Batman/Bruce Wayne again later, and be able to call Bruce Wayne out.

It appears that Marlin saw Batman's face was Bruce Wayne's during the mask tugging, but Batman was one step ahead, aware that Marlin suspected he was Bruce Wayne. To foil Marlin, but not tip him off, he wore a Bruce Wayne mask under the Batman cowl. Under that Bruce Wayne mask, Batman was wearing the Batman cowl. And under that is the real Bruce Wayne.

These are some thin masks, or people are used to seeing Batman with a thick head.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

VanSandman posted:

These are some thin masks, or people are used to seeing Batman with a thick head.

It makes me think Batman's solution to every crime in the 30s and 40s was to walk around in layers of masks and costumes to foil bad guys.

You knew Batman was up to some poo poo when he walks around like

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Shark Marlin is a big fish in Gotham's underground. Get it?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Red posted:

Wait, why would he wear a Batman mask under a Bruce Wayne mask? What does that accomplish?

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

Sockser posted:

Wait, why would he wear a Batman mask under a Bruce Wayne mask? What does that accomplish?

so he can rip off the bruce wayne mask dramatically without showing his face or fidgeting with his cowl

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

"I put on a Bruce Wayne mask so if anyone took off my Batman cowl they wouldn't know that I was actually Bruce Wayne!"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
"It was brisk. I dressed in layers."

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Red posted:

It makes me think Batman's solution to every crime in the 30s and 40s was to walk around in layers of masks and costumes to foil bad guys.

The number of times those old batman comics involved Bruce wearing a mask or disguise on top of his Batman costume is mindboggling.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Red posted:

Nope, it's just masks all the way down. Layer 67 is a Horsehead Mask. Bruce was feeling puckish that day.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Nope, it's just masks all the way down. Layer 67 is a Horsehead Mask. Bruce was feeling puckish that day.

Batman is defined as the mouth of a wormhole which has its other mouth in a universe where the curvature of spacetime has been replaced with punching. The wormhole aperture is wrapped in layers of masks and costumes, and when gravitons from our universe impinge on the wormhole, it reverberates and lets punches through into our universe. Thus, as the Flash is connected to the source of all speed, Batman is connected to the source of hittin' folks.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

VanSandman posted:

Batman's head is like one of those Russian nesting dolls. Underneath all those masks, he looks like this:

Not quite as bad, but Matt Murdock sometimes forgets to take off his glasses before he suits up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
He wears his glasses under his DD mask? :psyduck:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The MSJ posted:

Betty and Veronica both have that fake smile people use when they're too self-conscious in pictures. Just all teeth.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Dick Trauma posted:

He wears his glasses under his DD mask? :psyduck:

Duh, how else are you supposed to know that he is blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

The Question IRL posted:

Duh, how else are you supposed to know that he is blind?

"And now, before I kill him, it's time to see who Daredevil rea- Wait, this is just some blind guy! Call off the execution, we can't just shoot a blind person. Man, how does this keep happening?"

• Locked thread