Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

Reminds me of when I took a lighter to my tallgeese 2 gently caress-if-I-know-what kit when I was a teenager

Looks like it drifted a little too close to a particle beam.

UncleRadnor posted:

I'm got heaps of gunpla but I want to get rid a lot of them - what are some options that aren't entirely wasteful?
And they're not all in excellent condition either, most of them have been built with varying degrees of skill (a 12 year old building a MG GP01fb wasn't a good idea...) and some suffer from broken limbs and bad paintjobs. I wouldn't think there would be a big aftermarket for kits already built, considering (IMO) most of the fun is building it :(

If you want something to do with them, you could mix-n-match whatever's intact into some custom Gundams. Grab the Gunpla Battle Arm Arms set for some joint pieces and go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Okay, finished this fatty, bit of a run-down on it:

The upper legs take up nearly 3 whole part sheets by themselves. that's atleast a good 1/3 of the kit. Rather than there being a bunch of parts that make up the leg structure, it's actually pretty simple. about 4 parts total for the base of the leg, then the rest is the layered plates that go over it. This makes it very sturdy, though I can't quite say the same for all the outer plates.

Most of these plates are pretty stable. They don't have anything getting in the way of them, so they stay in place easily. The knee cover, though, is awfully strange. It's set on a hinge, but it doesn't have any room to rotate once the upper plate is put in place. You kinda have to be careful with the lower leg being straightened out, else you'll have both popping off pretty violently. (Nothing that some glue won't fix after painting, atleast.) The vent/booster deal on the side of the leg has articulation, which is a nice little addition, but almost negligible. That seems to go along with alot of the leg articulation in general, which I'll get into soon.

Arm articulation, as I mentioned last time, is absolutely fantastic. Just about any dumb, goofy pose you want is possible, and the arms can stretch out pretty far. (Which I forgot to take a picture of, woops!) Overall they're the best part.

And then you reach the legs. You will not be doing more than having it stand, look like it fell over, or sitting down. The huge upper legs get in the way of the knee joint, limiting it to about 90 degrees. The hoses in the back cause issues in that the engine covering plate will pop off if the leg is bent too far back, which can be seen here on the left leg. it's annoying, but again, something that can be fixed with glue later. The hose connectors are interesting, in that they rotate vertically based on the leg position due to the hoses creating friction. It's neat, but still kinda awkward and gets in the way of it's articulation. Still, it is incredibly stable when standing, and the tight joints (save for it's ankles, which have a bit too much give) keep it upright.

Comparatively speaking, this thing is -very- tall. Probably the tallest kit I own. Not counting the other two Frame Arms kits, anyway. (one of them has a giant head, so it doesn't count.)

In comparison to Valken, Plum's previous kit, there's no real contest. They're both products of their design, and due to that they have their faults. The Power Doll is just flat out better, though. The joints are nice and stiff and it can hold a pose easily without the joints eventually sliding down from it's own weight. The part layering also helps keep it together, though some things can be iffy, as stated above. The articulation is great, even with the knee issues that come up. Overall, I really hope Plum continues to make robot kits. They're getting better at it with each new one and slowly are becoming my favorite model company.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 7, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is there anything I should do to the Unicorn Phenex aside from painting the back of the clear bits silver?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

boom boom boom posted:

Is there anything I should do to the Unicorn Phenex aside from painting the back of the clear bits silver?

Assemble it with cotton gloves on so you don't get fingerprints all over it?

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want something to do with them, you could mix-n-match whatever's intact into some custom Gundams. Grab the Gunpla Battle Arm Arms set for some joint pieces and go nuts.
Hah, like Build Fighters or Gundam Breaker :) Sure it's an entertaining prospect, but i'm trying to meaningfully get *rid* of them (not saying yours is a bad idea though)

Maybe i have to face the fact that gunpla is not easily recycleable :(

Edit: i'll try contacting my local gunpla forum and see if anyone wants them for painting practice.

UncleRadnor fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 8, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

UncleRadnor posted:

Hah, like Build Fighters or Gundam Breaker :) Sure it's an entertaining prospect, but i'm trying to meaningfully get *rid* of them (not saying yours is a bad idea though)

Maybe i have to face the fact that gunpla is not easily recycleable :(

Edit: i'll try contacting my local gunpla forum and see if anyone wants them for painting practice.

Since you don't have PMs, could you maybe send me an email at ? I'd be interested in practicing cleaning up and repairing unpainted kits. Don't really have much money to spare at the moment, but I'm sure I can get some within a few weeks.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 5, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Maybe post a list of what you have? There are a couple old kits I'm keeping an eye out for, and I was already planning on fixing them up anyways.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010
I took a few photos of the GP01 box and contents but I thought i'd just keep it brief. Here's a quick photo of how bad the GP01 looks:

Most joints are floppy, the right shoulderpad broke, was cemented back together then broke again and is held in place by friction in the photo.
Not to mention the dust - the more I look at it more, the more I think it's beyond help.

Oh well, never forget your first ;)

Bonus:

quote:

Maybe post a list of what you have? There are a couple old kits I'm keeping an eye out for, and I was already planning on fixing them up anyways.
I'm came prepared :downs:

Assume all are built and panel lined. Some have paint (badly done)

UncleRadnor fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 9, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

UncleRadnor posted:

List of awesome things.

Are all of these painted?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I wouldn't mind getting that MG NT-1 ALEX and MG Ez8 provided they aren't butchered.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'd take the Unicorn base and maybe the Valkyrie depending on conditions of both of them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Depending on how they look (built/unbuilt, painted/unpainted, etc), I might be interested in the MG Unicorn, MG FA ZZ, and MG G04.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Looking over (and googling most of those since I have no idea what they are,) I'm likely interested in the Genoace and the Union Flag Jesta.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 8, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sweet, you have a Leopard Destroy and an Airmaster Burst. If they aren't totally wrecked I'd like them!

And if it's okay, could you send over some parts of the ZZ Gundam? Specifically the bits that aren't on the FA ZZ, which would be the shields on the arms, the side skirt armor, and the backpack. If that's not okay I'd be fine with taking the whole thing too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

everythingWasBees posted:

Looking over (and googling most of those since I have no idea what they are,) I'm likely interested in the Genoace and the Union Flag.

I'd recommend against getting that HG Union Flag unless you really really like them. The kit has no polycaps and the legs tend to be a bit floppy as a result.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd recommend against getting that HG Union Flag unless you really really like them. The kit has no polycaps and the legs tend to be a bit floppy as a result.

I might replace that with the HGUC Jesta, then.
Speaking of polycaps, does Bandai sell polycap conversion kits for older sets?
Or just like a bunch of spare polycaps?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

UncleRadnor posted:

I'm came prepared :downs:

Depending on total costs to the EU I might want the MG Duel, HG Jesta and Gundam X and in case I missed it on the list MG Buster. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Putting this ecoas jegan together has cemented the idea that i need to immediately get a stark jegan and possibly a regular one

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
have they released an MG of the Jegans yet?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

slightpirate posted:

have they released an MG of the Jegans yet?

Not yet, but considering there's a Geara Doga, it's somewhat safe to assume a Jegan's somewhere in the near future with Stark Jegan as an online exclusive.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
The Jesta is just so much cooler though.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is there a cheap place to get the Gundam markers? I'd like to try them on a SD kit I bought a few weeks ago.

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010

quote:

Are all of these painted?
Only a few have big paintjobs, the rest are mostly OOB with panel lining, painted eyes/monoeyes (some with solid colours and the rest with clear tamiya colours)
Off the top of my head, only the MG Gyan, NG Blitz and MKII are painted differently (only passable paintjob was the Gyan, the Blitz and MKII suck rear end)

quote:

People wanting X, Y or Z
Woah, ok that's a lot of responses :) Sorry to ask you to guys to ask again, email me at uncleradnorsa@gmail.com
Ask me what you'd like and I'll send you photos of the kit and my honest assessment of its condition.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Is the Amazing Booster set from the Build Fighters line compatible with older HGUC kits? I have a Gyan I'm working on, and the copyright date on the instructions is 1999. Would I be able to just add the parts right on, or would I require some extra elbow grease to make the Gyan Amazing?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

W.T. Fits posted:

Is the Amazing Booster set from the Build Fighters line compatible with older HGUC kits? I have a Gyan I'm working on, and the copyright date on the instructions is 1999. Would I be able to just add the parts right on, or would I require some extra elbow grease to make the Gyan Amazing?

It should be compatible with anything from the HGUC line, although it all depends on how you intend to attach the parts.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Amazing Booster was made to work with Zaku kits. On anything else, it's kind of just "try it out and see if it looks alright".

You'll probably be able to attach at least one of the components though.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

It's compatible with most Zaku kits, but the little nubs that they put on the handles of the weapons so they stay in place have some slight issues with older kits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Looking at it on Dalong, I gotta say no. It's really built for a Zaku kit, and there aren't really any of the mounting points needed for the Amazing Booster's parts. All you might be able to do is use the shoulder parts in their "knuckleduster" version with handles attached, but even then the hands are so old they might not have the clearance (or too much clearance) to hold them properly. You can't even get any of the other Boosters onto the Gyan because it lacks the standardized waist pole on newer kits, and the back skirt would probably prevent even using the butt-plug flip-up mounting arm.

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

UncleRadnor posted:

Woah, ok that's a lot of responses :) Sorry to ask you to guys to ask again, email me at

Shot you an email about a kit for practicing on. :)

The more I looked over the 1/100 Flag I built up the more I realized that practicing deseaming and painting on it would do me exactly jack and poo poo as far preparing me for a body-on-frame style MG because of the unique design of it. It's still a pretty drat cool kit, and the fact that it was :patriot: as hell in a Japanese giant robot show didn't exactly hurt. :v:

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Getting started on the addiction, I've gotten the two Ground War HGUC sets raw built, an Ez8 to practice line fills, and a GP01 that will be my introduction to airbrushing and masking.

I have a few questions and concerns, though. What size micron pens do you all use? I'm using a .20mm and it seems it's still too thick for corner fills, and doesn't give me a nice fine line like I see on most people's kits.

On the airbrush side, I'm concerned I used too thick of a primer and that details will be lost when I airbrush. In the future, what primers would you guys suggest for doing these?

UncleRadnor
Jul 3, 2010
Remember how master grade kits used to come with the flap of glossy cardboard with a big rear end photo of the completed kit? Oh that nostalgia :allears:

Anyway, back to replying to your emails :monocle:

Just a heads up, I'm in Australia so it might be a bit pricey to get to you. I'm thinking you guys might not want the boxes and the sprues anyway, so that might help with shipping - unless you have a better idea on how to ship it? (no seriously, this is becoming quite a task!)

I might also be a bit slow to respond, so apologies in advance!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

UncleRadnor posted:

Remember how master grade kits used to come with the flap of glossy cardboard with a big rear end photo of the completed kit? Oh that nostalgia :allears:

Anyway, back to replying to your emails :monocle:

Just a heads up, I'm in Australia so it might be a bit pricey to get to you. I'm thinking you guys might not want the boxes and the sprues anyway, so that might help with shipping - unless you have a better idea on how to ship it? (no seriously, this is becoming quite a task!)

I might also be a bit slow to respond, so apologies in advance!

So hey for someone wanting one, is the Alex kit super garbage or does it hold up?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's an old kit, and it shows. As long as you don't have the armor on there's a decent amount of articulation though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TaurusOxford posted:

It should be compatible with anything from the HGUC line, although it all depends on how you intend to attach the parts.

BlitzBlast posted:

The Amazing Booster was made to work with Zaku kits. On anything else, it's kind of just "try it out and see if it looks alright".

You'll probably be able to attach at least one of the components though.

TARDISman posted:

It's compatible with most Zaku kits, but the little nubs that they put on the handles of the weapons so they stay in place have some slight issues with older kits.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looking at it on Dalong, I gotta say no. It's really built for a Zaku kit, and there aren't really any of the mounting points needed for the Amazing Booster's parts. All you might be able to do is use the shoulder parts in their "knuckleduster" version with handles attached, but even then the hands are so old they might not have the clearance (or too much clearance) to hold them properly. You can't even get any of the other Boosters onto the Gyan because it lacks the standardized waist pole on newer kits, and the back skirt would probably prevent even using the butt-plug flip-up mounting arm.

Oh well. I'll figure out something to do with it. Worst case scenario, it gives me an excuse to pick up a Zaku of some kind.

On a lighter note, found some old photos of an old HGUC Gouf I built around a decade or so ago.

Didn't really do much in terms of customization with it, but I'm still happy with how the paint job came out looking. :unsmith:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Didn't really do much in terms of customization with it, but I'm still happy with how the paint job came out looking. :unsmith:

That is a pretty amazing paint job, the gold color works for the chest and weapons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Despite a release date of the 12th, Apparently the Crossbone Maoh's now out in Japan.

edit: Turn-A Gundam's out as well

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 10, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Do you guys think sky gray looks alright as a complement for white? It looked alright on my V2 since I was smudging poo poo all over it anyways, but I'm kind of worried it'll stand out too harshly on a clean build like my MG GX.

Also making custom decals is surprisingly fun. Anyone got a good idea for a symbol for the Freeden? I'm thinking a stylized open birdcage, since a) they're Vultures so birds and b) hey it sounds like freedom.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Do you guys think sky gray looks alright as a complement for white? It looked alright on my V2 since I was smudging poo poo all over it anyways, but I'm kind of worried it'll stand out too harshly on a clean build like my MG GX.

Also making custom decals is surprisingly fun. Anyone got a good idea for a symbol for the Freeden? I'm thinking a stylized open birdcage, since a) they're Vultures so birds and b) hey it sounds like freedom.

Is it the masked-off area on the top of the feet? It doesn't seem to clash too strongly with the surrounding white, at least as far as I can see in this photo. Of course, it probably looks different seeing it in person than looking at a photograph.

Been making a little progress on the HG Nu. This is one of the legs after sanding and polishing the paint. It's really good for scrubbing out brush marks and getting the surface of the paint to conform to the shape of the plastic underneath. The finished surface does look more 'real', too.

Right now, though, I'm having a bit of a problem. I let the pot of dark blue paint that I was using dry out. I tried to dilute the paint again with some thinner, but now there's this odd white residue that floats to the surface whenever I try to paint from that pot. Does anybody know where this comes from, and if it's possible to fix it, or am I screwed and have to throw it out?

Edit: Why not a bird flying from a pair of open hands? That sounds a bit easier to design than a birdcage.

Alternately, give it a ZEUTH logo. :v:

Doc Quantum fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 11, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did they make a 1/100 of the genoace custom? I found an HG but I'd like a bigger one if possible. Also, saw the new endless waltz redesigns and they look great. Did they do one for tallgeese? My local store only had wing and shenlong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kingtheninja posted:

Did they make a 1/100 of the genoace custom? I found an HG but I'd like a bigger one if possible. Also, saw the new endless waltz redesigns and they look great. Did they do one for tallgeese? My local store only had wing and shenlong.

Gundam AGE sucked hard, so don't ever expect a 1/100 of Genoace Custom. As for Tallgeese, there is a MG Tallgeese. MG Tallgeese II was an online exclusive, and MG Tallgeese III doesn't yet exist. However, TGII and TGIII have been (re)made by third-party companies if you really want them.

Edit: Video review of the Tallgeese I if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CttCWzdUtC0

• Locked thread