Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

In commercial hoods this is handled by actual ducting for makeup air so the hood works as intended/designed. If you've got some cash to burn you can get the makeup air heated so that you don't end up getting cold air down your back all winter (commercial hoods are huge).

Seems like the simplest thing to do would be to have a heat exchanger that tries to equalize the temperature of the vented air with the make-up air. Probably can't get too fancy with the vented air since it could have all kinds of goop in it, but the make-up air should be pretty clean and could be run through whatever tiny hoses you need to get efficient heat exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeast is a fungus :ssh:

Huh. I should have known that.

Motronic posted:

Some hoods are designed to be vented outside. These may NEVER be vented inside as it's against code to install something against it's certified labeling and instructions, and for exactly the reason you mention.

Some hoods are recirculating hoods. These were typically pretty crappy, but some have been getting better as of late. They attempt to work through filtration, which needs to be changed and cleaned much more often than most any homeowner is going to do.

If you want the hood to work well, you need a real vent to the outside hood and sufficient makeup air. In most houses this will work fine without anything additional, but in very modern construction you may have problems. Or in very old homes when it very hot/cold out (you'll be dragging in outside air........that's the point).

In commercial hoods this is handled by actual ducting for makeup air so the hood works as intended/designed. If you've got some cash to burn you can get the makeup air heated so that you don't end up getting cold air down your back all winter (commercial hoods are huge).

My hood actually has a punchout you can use to have it just recirculate air, but if you do that, it sends it back into the kitchen through a grating on the top front of the hood. The utility there is that the air goes through the grease trap. So you can either do that, or vent directly outside, through a wall or through the roof.

What's warned against is to just vent into the open attic space. I'm saying I think that's probably against code.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Seems like the simplest thing to do would be to have a heat exchanger that tries to equalize the temperature of the vented air with the make-up air. Probably can't get too fancy with the vented air since it could have all kinds of goop in it, but the make-up air should be pretty clean and could be run through whatever tiny hoses you need to get efficient heat exchange.

Simple is not equal to cheap or feasible in the real world where metal is expensive, space is at a premium, and you have to pay people to build, install and maintain it.

Leperflesh posted:

What's warned against is to just vent into the open attic space. I'm saying I think that's probably against code.

You are correc because: it's against the installation instructions. People seem to be surprised at how much of what "passes code" relies on what you buy and what's in the installation manual for that specific piece of equipment. The contents of the instructions are based on how the device was tested to meet it's required safety standard (UL, ETL, CE, etc). Install it contrary to that manual and it no longer passes the safety standard. Passing some safety standard is almost always going to be a requirement for any sort of permanently installed electrical, gas, or fire suppression equipment.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
I still need to address the water issue on the back basement wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6NOGA-tdWo

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looks like it's been addressed to me!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

evilnissan posted:

I still need to address the water issue on the back basement wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6NOGA-tdWo

I watched this entire video.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

I watched this entire video.
Me too and I still can't get my mind around it.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Don't call a repairman. That could cost you thousands!

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

One Legged Ninja posted:

Don't call a repairman. That could cost you thousands!

By my estimates my dad saved millions on repairing this house!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I'm pretty sure my apartment hood doesn't vent outside unless there's something tiny behind it, but it seems to work pretty good for smells. It's just got a million filters inside and scoops everything up.

Yeah, and give those filters just a tiny bit of the usual abuse of someone who doesn't own the place and thus gives no fucks, and they'll be a greaseball just waiting to explode into merry flames the very second you get a grease fire on the stove.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mine dumps the air back out directly into your face while you're cooking without filtering it at all it seems, which is really pleasant when cooking onions :v:

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
You've all inspired me to clean the filters in my kitchen hood. They're awful and I feel great shame for letting them get to this point. :smith:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

killhamster posted:

You've all inspired me to clean the filters in my kitchen hood. They're awful and I feel great shame for letting them get to this point. :smith:

Mine is horrific but ima level witchu:

I have no idea how to clean it! I don't have a dishwasher (bitch left me).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

High five terrified of kitchen hood bros. :ohdear:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh man, I haven't even thought to check mine ever. I've been living here for three years and it probably wasn't clean when I moved in :tinfoil:

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Mine dumps the air back out directly into your face while you're cooking without filtering it at all it seems, which is really pleasant when cooking onions :v:
Haha mine too. I didn't bother looking but the first really spicy dish I made I got all clever thinking I'll just pop the vent on to save myself. Hot, spicy air blasted right into my face.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Zhentar posted:

Cracking the window when it's -10 degrees out is quite effective at controlling bathroom humidity, actually. I've barely used my fan all winter.

My ancient single-pane slider window freezes solid below -20'C and the bathroom fan just vents directly into the attic so I'm afraid to run it. For a bit I was using a desk fan which didn't help the dampness in there... definitely gotta get a gooseneck vent cut this summer before horrible alien death mold kills me.

The home inspector noticed that the bathroom fan wasn't hooked up to anything, but failed to note that there was nothing in the roof to hook up to. The bathroom right next door to it does have a fully functional hood, vent hose, and roof vent though. :confused:

I'm glad we're discussing it in the thread: I'll make myself feel better about the expenditure by going for the highest-CFM bathroom fan I can fit.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 9, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The bathroom right next door to it does have a fully functional hood, vent hose, and roof vent though. :confused:

You should be able to y-into that vent and use it, unless you think both fans will be going at the same time regularly.

Every bathroom fan I've seen has a flapper that closes when the fan is off (it's just blown open when the fan turns on) so blowing air from one bathroom to the other shouldn't be a concern.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

NancyPants posted:

If it's steel, just get a pan full of boiling water and pour over it, or use industrial kitchen degreaser (Simple Green gets most any grease off, too). If it's plastic, get a new one. :D

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 9, 2014

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

If it's steel, just get a pan full of boiling water and pour over it, or use industrial kitchen degreaser (Simple Green gets most any grease off, too). If it's plastic, get a new one. :D

Will do, thanks for the tip.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

You should be able to y-into that vent and use it, unless you think both fans will be going at the same time regularly.

Every bathroom fan I've seen has a flapper that closes when the fan is off (it's just blown open when the fan turns on) so blowing air from one bathroom to the other shouldn't be a concern.

Unfortunately, our municipal code explicitly forbids that. That was the first thing I thought to do, and I have a feeling that's how it was originally set up.

That said, I might as well just move the hose over to it since that's the only bathroom that sees regular use.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Keep in mind that Simple Green, especially undiluted, is fantastic at stripping latex paint. Over in the Trad Games forum we use the stuff for stripping the paint off of tiny man dolls.

I used some while cleaning up my cabinet above the new vent, until I started to get peeling paint and had to stop.

You should be able to remove the filter from your hood. If it's too horrific to contemplate cleaning, just buy a new one, I bet they're like $2.

Speaking of:

Done! I cut out a square of MDF, sanded the edges a bit to give it a rounded lip, cut a hole in the middle, and spray painted it white. There's a really minor gap that I can probably fix by gluing the square in place with some silicone or whatever, right now it's just held in place by the lip of the light fixture, but it doesn't look half bad as-is.

I also got that shelf in there without too much trouble. Just had to cut the slot for the vent and conduit slightly wide, and then kind of angled and wrangled and twisted the shelf until it worked.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Unfortunately, our municipal code explicitly forbids that.

Ick. Yeah, I've seen that in some codes. I think it's getting put into (or may already be) in the i-codes.

This is one of those "if everything is in order it's not a problem, but let's add a rule for bad contractors and stupid homeowners" situations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

NancyPants posted:

There is stuff called Tornado 50 that is amazing at cleaning those aluminum filters (and a lot of other stuff). I mixed it about 3:1 water to cleaner and filled the kitchen sink deep enough to submerge the filter and let it soak for about 15 minutes. The filter was filthy with that gummed up grease that is about impossible to clean off when it went in, but after soaking, the water looked like toilet water after a hard night of drinking and taco bell and the filter looked brand new. I don't mean "looked pretty good", but like it was just pulled off the shelf at the hardware store without the slightest trace of grease.

The hard part is getting it. You can probably get it in St. Albans WVA where it is manufactured, and they have a distributor in La Crosse WI. If, for some strange reason, you don't live in either of those towns, you can order it if you call them. When I ordered it, their minimum order was 4 gallons (had something to do with freight shipping hazardous chemicals or something like that) and they were like $20/gal. It was spendy, but four gallons will last a LONG time because you dilute it at 15:1 for general cleaning.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

If its a metal filter just take it out onto a concrete slab and burn the grease off! :v:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
I have my own crappy construction tale from the weekend.

I installed a window where there wasn't one in the shed.

First I cut the hole too big. Not really by accident, but because I hadn't thought through how it was going to mount and I knew the wood trim would save me in the end. I have a bad habit of putting decisions off when I know they can be fixed/patched/sanded later. But then inevitably those steps take longer than the proper planning up front.

Anyway, to fill in some of the gaps behind the trim I bought the yellow spray foam stuff which I had never used. Seemed fine at first and I put silicon caulk over it. Then I was horrified to watch the yellow foam continue expanding for 2+ hours and spread itself and the silicon everywhere.

I stood there for nearly an hour cleaning it up as it stubbornly oozed out until I finally gave up and left it overnight. This is what I found in the morning.

Anyway, I hate both caulking and foam.

After an extra 2 hours of cleanup and extra painting though it does look fine now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

asdf32 posted:

Anyway, to fill in some of the gaps behind the trim I bought the yellow spray foam stuff which I had never used. Seemed fine at first and I put silicon caulk over it. Then I was horrified to watch the yellow foam continue expanding for 2+ hours and spread itself and the silicon everywhere.

I'm sorry, I burst out laughing at this point. Yep, that foam keeps going!

At least it's just a shed and not a part of your actual house, right?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

asdf32 posted:

At least the expanding foam didn't wedge your window closed or just flat out crack the glass!

EDIT: Are you using full silicon caulk or just "silicon added" latex caulking? I'm not sure what the general consensus is in here, but for outdoor/high water applications I've always been taught to use full silicon caulking because it won't wear out/leak/mildew as fast.

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 10, 2014

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
"Low-Expansion Foam".

I think I've mentioned it two or more times in the thread, but always use the low-expansion stuff. Unless you are intending to fill large gaps or do your own version of spray-foam insulations, use the low-expansion stuff. Like Amykinz said, you can damage your windows with that stuff.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You people and your fancy bathrooms that actually have any sort of way to direct air outside.

Mine has no vent fan, and no window. It may have had a window (perhaps with a fan!) at some point but after the third addition to the house it does not.

I just leave the door open because otherwise it would be insane.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

You people and your fancy bathrooms that actually have any sort of way to direct air outside.

Mine has no vent fan, and no window. It may have had a window (perhaps with a fan!) at some point but after the third addition to the house it does not.

I just leave the door open because otherwise it would be insane.
Also, if leaving bathroom doors open is not an option, a register with angled fins works ok. You can make a permanent pass though opening in the wall or the door itself. If you're handy enough, a tilt-open transom window above the bathroom door works best.

http://superiorsaunas.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=454

http://transomsdirect.com/

asdf32 posted:

I installed a window where there wasn't one in the shed.

First I cut the hole too big. Not really by accident, but because I hadn't thought through how it was going to mount and I knew the wood trim would save me in the end. I have a bad habit of putting decisions off when I know they can be fixed/patched/sanded later. But then inevitably those steps take longer than the proper planning up front.

I stood there for nearly an hour cleaning it up as it stubbornly oozed out until I finally gave up and left it overnight. This is what I found in the morning.

Anyway, I hate both caulking and foam.

After an extra 2 hours of cleanup and extra painting though it does look fine now.

Good job reading instructions on that can of foam. Also, those drywall screws are going to rust and leave rusty streaks within about a year

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 10, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Nitrox posted:

Good job reading instructions on that can of foam. Also, those drywall screws are going to rust and leave rusty streaks within about a year
Eh, I think most first time users of expanding foam have some degree of gently caress uppery. Also, those appear to be square drive screws, which to my mind suggests deck screws over drywall.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I definitely have a couple boxes of square drive drywall screws. But yeah, those look too shiny, I think they are deck screws too.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Nitrox posted:

Also, if leaving bathroom doors open is not an option, a register with angled fins works ok. You can make a permanent pass though opening in the wall or the door itself. If you're handy enough, a tilt-open transom window above the bathroom door works best.

http://superiorsaunas.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=454

http://transomsdirect.com/

No, no. Those are stainless trim head screws. I put a strange amount of time into researching and buying screws online. Usually McFeely's.

The foam was just a can of "Great Stuff"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

asdf32 posted:

No, no. Those are stainless trim head screws. I put a strange amount of time into researching and buying screws online. Usually McFeely's.

Great Stuff actually makes a product specifically for windows. It doesn't expand so much. http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/window-and-door/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

asdf32 posted:

Which comes in low, medium, and high-ex. You want the blue can (low) for windows and doors.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have a hollow door that lets in a lot of noise. I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the top and filling it with foam. I of course have no clue exactly how much empty space is inside or how it's laid out. Is this a crazy idea? If not, would that be the best kind of foam for the job, or is there something even more low-expansion/sound-reducing?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 10, 2014

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I have a hollow door that lets in a lot of noise. I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the top and filling it with foam. I of course have no clue exactly how much empty space is inside or how it's laid out. Is this a crazy idea? If not, would that be the best kind of foam for the job, or is there something even more low-expansion/sound-reducing?

This is a terrible idea, spend the money on a proper door.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Leperflesh posted:

Keep in mind that Simple Green, especially undiluted, is fantastic at stripping latex paint. Over in the Trad Games forum we use the stuff for stripping the paint off of tiny man dolls.

I used some while cleaning up my cabinet above the new vent, until I started to get peeling paint and had to stop.
Hypothetically, if someone had done this and caused the paint to be permanently softened, is there any way to re-cure it or would it be best to strip it completely and repaint from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Any kind of foam would be very likely to distort the door. Just replace it. You can find one at something like ReStore for $20, which is probably less than what you would pay for enough foam to fill it.