Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Morand posted:

Oh god. I would whip out a 45 figure shield army and make you deal with it. ACTION LIMIT BE DAMNED

That was my first thought, but the notice for the game specifically said no peons. :smith:

CapnAndy posted:

KA2 isn't worth it as far as I'm concerned. I think the whole set was underpowered.

That's kind of what I figured, but I kind of like the maps, and the Mother Russia and Battle Guy dials are neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Red posted:

- The venue I went to is doing a 3000-point game. 10 actions max per turn, and lots of small characters are discouraged, with vehicles/colossals/team bases/inflated point characters encouraged. No feats or BFCs.
Can you play no-age stuff like LotR? Because I've got one hell of a Monster theme team, but it needs all the Kaiju.

(Basically all I see when I read that event description is PLAY THE KAIJU)

edit: You can also do the full-power Worthy plus Splitlip, the full Book of the Skull, and some Warbots

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 8, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Can you play no-age stuff like LotR? Because I've got one hell of a Monster theme team, but it needs all the Kaiju.

(Basically all I see when I read that event description is PLAY THE KAIJU)

edit: You can also do the full-power Worthy plus Splitlip, the full Book of the Skull, and some Warbots

I think, for a 3000-point game, they'll be fairly loose.

I don't have too many FI clix, but I did get an Angrir from the one booster I bought.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
3000 point game, colossals reccomended? Find a Starro and beat everyone with each others giant toys :cthulhu:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Archenteron posted:

3000 point game, colossals reccomended? Find a Starro and beat everyone with each others giant toys :cthulhu:
I changed my mind, do this.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Red posted:

That was my first thought, but the notice for the game specifically said no peons. :smith:

I'd show up with the peons anyway :dealwithit:

Seriously though if the players have an issue they can just get a win against me and I'll play for fun

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i won dark phoenix cyclops with Science Police and Barrier and it felt good.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Going to play my first matches at my local comic book store tomorrow! I don't have a team planned mainly because I don't know how many points they play. Either way, I'll probably ask someone to play a casual 300 point game as I know a couple guys get there 30-40 minutes early. I have so many freaking pieces that I don't even know where to start, but since the Winter Soldier set is new, I was thinking about a S.H.I.E.L.D. themed team:

S.H.I.E.L.D. Soldier @ 45 pts
S.H.I.E.L.D. Commander @ 65 pts
Agent Sitwell @ 60 pts
Winter Soldier (rare) @ 125 pts

Gameplan is to use the S.H.I.E.L.D. team ability to buff everyone's range. I can also use a power action with Sitwell or Soldier to buff an adjacent friendly +1 damage. Free action roll for leadership with the commander in an attempt to add an action and remove action token. Commander and Soldier can give each other enhancement or empower through special powers. Agent Sitwell has a special power where he can perplex the entire team if they are adjacent. So, hopefully a lot of buffing and a lot of shooting.

Can someone explain Winter Soldier's trait and special damage power to me?

A Conflicted Mind Give an adjacent character a power action to modify Winter Soldier's attack or damage +1 or -1. This modifier lasts until this trait is used again or there are no other friendly characters on the map.
I can use this on adjacent opponents too? Why would I modify my attack or damage -1?

I'd Better Hang on to This Winter Soldier can use Outwit, but only to counter attack and damage powers of adjacent characters. When he does, he doesn't need line of fire and can use the countered power until his next turn.
I can steal either an attack or damage power from someone? So, I get to outwit it and steal it in one fell swoop? Awesome!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

A Conflicted Mind Give an adjacent character a power action to modify Winter Soldier's attack or damage +1 or -1. This modifier lasts until this trait is used again or there are no other friendly characters on the map.
I can use this on adjacent opponents too? Why would I modify my attack or damage -1?
You wouldn't. Your opponents, on the other hand, might want to, and there's nothing stopping them from activating that power.

quote:

I'd Better Hang on to This Winter Soldier can use Outwit, but only to counter attack and damage powers of adjacent characters. When he does, he doesn't need line of fire and can use the countered power until his next turn.
I can steal either an attack or damage power from someone? So, I get to outwit it and steal it in one fell swoop? Awesome!
It is awesome, yes! But it only works on people who are right next to you, so get up close.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
My opponent can activate my own trait? :cry:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

My opponent can activate my own trait? :cry:
Not usually, no! Only traits and powers that don't specify that either only the character themself or friendly characters can activate it. You usually see it on people who've been brainwashed; gravity feed Rose Wilson from Teen Titans has something similar.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I guess that makes sense :(

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Does the S.H.I.E.L.D. team ability stack?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

GF Black Cat: https://mobile.twitter.com/wizkidsgames/status/453640378579566592/photo/1?screen_name=wizkidsgames

For a mere 45 points that's a fantastic dial, the crit protection trait is just gravy.

Seymour Butts posted:

Does the S.H.I.E.L.D. team ability stack?

Yes, both the passive range boost and power action damage bump will stack. Great fun on Shield swarms!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

I'd show up with the peons anyway :dealwithit:

Seriously though if the players have an issue they can just get a win against me and I'll play for fun

Eh, yeah, but I'm new, so I don't wanna be the guy who wants to do his own thing. Were I a regular, sure, but I'd like to just learn the game and help improve attendance and all that. :)

Archenteron posted:

Well, that's a neat idea, but I'd just like to go cheap at the moment (I've spent a decent amount getting back into the game.). I'm just wondering what cheap singles have high point totals.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

It's Dumb eBay Auctions time! This time I have discovered a guy who has really stupid poo poo, and no idea what anything is worth.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Newsarama is doing WoL previews, starting with the Green Power Battery: http://www.newsarama.com/20802-heroclix-war-of-light-green-lantern-corps-revealed.html

It's super weird at first glance but the most potent thing seems to be you can emulate White Witch/Agent 13 on any team for a mere 16 points, hat alone is worth the price of admission. And just in case anyone still thought those multicolored batteries last month were just for show, the Emotional spectrum trait nixes that idea.

CapnAndy posted:

It's Dumb eBay Auctions time! This time I have discovered a guy who has really stupid poo poo, and no idea what anything is worth.

It's hard to top that guy selling outdated PACs but these are pretty close.

For AvX this Sunday I realized that PF Emma at 150 with a three fragment Phoenix Force gives her 3 target RS with the options of either MC or PB/EE :getin: I'm thinking of pairing her with PF Namor (with a fragment), WatX Hope (Perplex & PF keyword), and AvX Magik (the only starter fig I can fit on, but she has TK and gives Namor Mystics so whatever).

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I like the lantern. Only thing I don't like: it looks like you HAVE to buy the scenario pack to use the resource because you have to have a ring (or are there rings in the boosters and you just have to get lucky and pull one?)

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Fritzler posted:

I like the lantern. Only thing I don't like: it looks like you HAVE to buy the scenario pack to use the resource because you have to have a ring (or are there rings in the boosters and you just have to get lucky and pull one?)

From the wording it sounds like you could use any color ring/construct, you just don't get the bonus for using all the same color stuff. I believe the green ring is just in the scenario pack, though, as the solicits for the boosters listed 4 rings in each wave, which means green would be the odd one out.

Also, DP Cable: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152325910826070&id=503016069&set=gm.684008058312337&source=48&refid=18&_ft_&__tn__=E

Shoulder Pad Armor :haw:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Just got back from my first heroclix matches. Lost my first 3 matches and actually won the last match! The first game with my S.H.I.E.L.D. theme team didn't go so well because my opponent told me I couldn't use leadership to gain an extra action because in a 300 point game you can only have three actions. Is that true? He also told me my team wasn't a theme team (3 S.H.I.E.L.D. members and rare Winter Soldier) because all of my characters needed to share the same theme word. I kind of felt like a dick when I questioned him on both of these things, but didn't go to the extent of whipping out the rules to clear it up. He was a nice enough guy and he even gave me a map at the end of the night.

Last game he told me that I couldn't duo attack with Big Barda/Mr. Miracle because some reason and I thought that since I had no action tokens and there is a duo attack printed on the dial that I could. Not clear on that either. I was holding a heavy object and was planning on hitting him with that and then regular attack again. Goons?

This guy has tons of figures. He buys a case of pretty much every set and told me whatever I wanted he probably has. I ended up buying a Toyman with 4 toys for $20. He wanted $25, but that was too much. I probably overpaid a bit with $20, but hopefully I can get some other figures at a better deal in the future.

All in all, they were my first matches against a real opponent. When I become more familiar with the rules I'll be in a better position to hold my ground. He also played some pretty dick figures and gave himself like 5 probablities in a 300 point match, etc. In fact, after I told him that I was going to use a S.H.I.E.L.D. team he decided on using Scarlet Witch (on my first game ever, what an rear end in a top hat). I ended up beating him the last match when I played Superboy and Big Barda/Mr. Miracle. He prob'd me four times in a row and I had to roll above a 7 each time, finally hitting with 5/5 and a critical hit to KO his White Lantern or something. Hold that poo poo :D

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Yeah, for some reason, that facebook page is down now. Any other links?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

SublimeDelusions posted:

Yeah, for some reason, that facebook page is down now. Any other links?

Seymour Butts posted:

Just got back from my first heroclix matches. Lost my first 3 matches and actually won the last match! The first game with my S.H.I.E.L.D. theme team didn't go so well because my opponent told me I couldn't use leadership to gain an extra action because in a 300 point game you can only have three actions. Is that true? He also told me my team wasn't a theme team (3 S.H.I.E.L.D. members and rare Winter Soldier) because all of my characters needed to share the same theme word. I kind of felt like a dick when I questioned him on both of these things, but didn't go to the extent of whipping out the rules to clear it up. He was a nice enough guy and he even gave me a map at the end of the night.

Last game he told me that I couldn't duo attack with Big Barda/Mr. Miracle because some reason and I thought that since I had no action tokens and there is a duo attack printed on the dial that I could. Not clear on that either. I was holding a heavy object and was planning on hitting him with that and then regular attack again. Goons?

This guy has tons of figures. He buys a case of pretty much every set and told me whatever I wanted he probably has. I ended up buying a Toyman with 4 toys for $20. He wanted $25, but that was too much. I probably overpaid a bit with $20, but hopefully I can get some other figures at a better deal in the future.

All in all, they were my first matches against a real opponent. When I become more familiar with the rules I'll be in a better position to hold my ground. He also played some pretty dick figures and gave himself like 5 probablities in a 300 point match, etc. In fact, after I told him that I was going to use a S.H.I.E.L.D. team he decided on using Scarlet Witch (on my first game ever, what an rear end in a top hat). I ended up beating him the last match when I played Superboy and Big Barda/Mr. Miracle. He prob'd me four times in a row and I had to roll above a 7 each time, finally hitting with 5/5 and a critical hit to KO his White Lantern or something. Hold that poo poo :D

Some of that stuff they may have been snowing you but some they were right. Successful Leadership will give you actions above the point build, you should check whether that place has house ruled that, otherwise you were being played or that opponent doesn't fully understand Leadership (even chance of either). Themed teams do require all members to have the appropriate keyword though so winter Soldier would break a Shield theme (now if they all also had Soldier then you'd be ok for that keyword).

Dunno about the duo attack though, if you weren't doing anything else then it should have been fine; were you trying to use Close Combat Expert or Charge? Duo is incompatible with basically every power except passive ones like Steal Energy and Super Strength so if you were standing still and just wailing on people it should've been fine.

Sounds like you had fun though, and at the end that's the most important.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 10, 2014

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Seymour Butts posted:

He was wrong about Leadership but right on the Theme Teams. A successful Leadership roll adds a Non-Free Action to your Action Pool, getting around the normal limit and can also remove a token from an adjacent friendly character with a lower point value than the character that used Leadership. The only way he'd have been right on the Leadership part is if the event was worded with a hard 3 Action Per Turn limit that ignores the Action Pool. But nobody really makes events like those.

Theme Teams only count if all your characters share a Keyword. One character without the Keyword on your force? You broke your Theme Team.

quote:

He was lying once again. Unless he outwitted the Duo Attack Combat Ability, you could have. After all, Duo Attack is just a Power Action that lets you make two Attacks (Close or Ranged) as Free Actions, where you only possess one Target for the action.

EDIT: Yeah, I forgot about the fact that you might have been trying to use Duo Attack with another Power. It takes a Power Action to activate it, so, like Sanschel said, there's pretty much nothing it works with that isn't a passive power like Precision Strike or Steal Energy. But if you were already next to the character you wanted to attack, or you were going to shoot twice, you could have used Duo Attack.

quote:

The going rate for Toyman + Teddy Bear seems to be around $13-$15 on average, and the other toys usually don't go for much at all, they tend to be considered throw-ins for the most part. So, unless you got a Teddy Bear and a Superman Action Figure with Toyman, you still overpaid a bit.

quote:

Yeah, that's a bit of a dick move alright. I'd be careful around that guy. He seems more like one of those people who seems nice, but really just wants to fleece you. Acts the part, but may be a jerk behind it all.

drat Nate. 4 Clicks of UNCOUNTERABLE Leadership, Outwit, AND Prob? Sure, I'll take that push. Higher defense and Psy Blast with Prob and Outwit is nice. Just gotta lose these Shoulder Pads (Thanks 90s! :v:). A Special that grants some Improved Movement instead of starting with it or getting it naturally, not bad. And that Technopath Special combined with those bottom two clicks? Have fun hitting an effective 21/20 unless you want to get up close. Oh, and he can go on your AvX X-Men Team Base too. Because, why not.

$30-$40 Nate, here we come. :haw:

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 10, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Just got back from my first heroclix matches.
Everyone else answered your questions correctly, just want to say watch out for that guy. Sounds like he was having himself a merry game of Fleece The Newbie.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
Ok, that Cable is going to definitely wind up being one of the figures I need to get out of the Deadpool set.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I really like what they're doing with the Avengers and X-Men team bases, I hope it continues and we get more generic bases like that in the future.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Reading up on TTPC:

The number of times you may
use TTPC during a game is equal to the number of
characters on your force at the beginning of the game,
up to 1 per 100 points of the game’s build total.

This rear end in a top hat was regularly building 5-6 character teams in a 300 point team and assigning himself 5-6 team probs. I had a feeling that what he was doing wasn't kosher, but new guy first time and all that.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Reading up on TTPC:

This rear end in a top hat was regularly building 5-6 character teams in a 300 point team and assigning himself 5-6 team probs. I had a feeling that what he was doing wasn't kosher, but new guy first time and all that.

This is a terrible thing that happens sometimes where an established player fleeces the new guy. It's despicable but it happens. Best thing to do is read up on rules and know your poo poo. Don't be afraid to pull out a PAC if you have to. I do it at least once a tournament.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Seymour Butts posted:

Reading up on TTPC:

Ugh. I never understand what someone hopes to gain by abusing the rules against someone new.

I hope it doesn't sour you on the game. :smith:

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Red posted:

Ugh. I never understand what someone hopes to gain by abusing the rules against someone new.

I hope it doesn't sour you on the game. :smith:

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but this on top of the leadership poo poo really makes me think this was a dude pumping up his ego.

Edit: Seymour my offer of a skype game still stands

Morand fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 10, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but this on top of the leadership poo poo really makes me think this was a dude pumping up his ego.

Edit: Seymour my offer of a skype game still stands

Yeah. Heroclix is a complicated game, and just trying to get back into it makes my head want to pop - but even I know the leadership ability. It was like the only reason you'd use Kingpin back in the old days.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Reading up on TTPC:

When you said he was giving himself 5-6 probs I thought you might have meant that, but then you said he played Scarlet Witch and I decided what you really meant was that he was overloading his team with PC pieces. Which is a dick move on its own, but not cheating. That's loving cheating.

You also don't get TTPC unless you have a non-generic theme team; I don't know what theme he was using but at this point I wouldn't put it past him to break that rule too.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'll never ever understand the people inflating their egos by cheating against newbies.

If anything, I tend to use playing against new people as a way to play against myself, in a way--because especially if they're super new, I help coach them through how to beat me

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Going to play tonight at the same location. Can't wait to see the same guy again and learn him on the official rules. Switching out Winter Soldier for Black Widow to keep S.H.I.E.L.D. theme. She has an awesome trait that reads:

Espionage: Double Agent When Black Widow is part of a themed team and uses Probability Control as a result, you may reduce the number of times your opponent can use Probability Control from being a themed team, instead of you. When she uses Probability Control as a result of being part of a themed team, she is not given an action token.

Tricky language, but let's see if I got this right: TTPC requires me to be in range (minimum 6) and line of sight of the character I want to make re-roll. Stipulations regarding no non free actions, no other method of dealing PC on my dial, etc...still apply. So, instead of actually using probability control to make an opposing character re-roll I can use it to take away one of their TTPCs? Does this count against my total TTPCs? I can't tell.

I can also use a TTPC action against an opposing or friendly character and after actions resolve not have to place an action token on Black Widow. TTPC does not count towards my action total (says so in the rules) and I wouldn't have dealt her an action token, so does that make it a free action? Am I able to make a non-free action with Black Widow in the same turn? Thanks in advance.

In any case, I'm looking forward to limiting his themed team probs (with the core rules) and hopefully taking away a couple with Black Widow. I don't even know if this team is any good because it actually seems like a pretty difficult team to play effectively. In my head it seems like it would be fun if I can get a handle on it. With Black Widow's Stealth and Outwit I might have a shot at outwitting some defense reducers while in hindering terrain and buffing some range and damage with the other S.H.I.E.L.D. members to actually do some damage because a lot of these guys play Impervious and Invulnerable pieces.

If this doesn't work then I'm just going to run Superboy and Bizarro :D

edit: on second (50th) reading maybe it means that I can actually use TTPC, but it uses one of his available TTPCs and I have to deal myself an action token. That would actually be even better!! If that's the case then I should let him keep all 6 of his themed probs and use them against him. Afterwords, I'll show him the official rules. :smug:

Seymour Butts fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 11, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Black Widow's trait is really simple. You use TTPC like normal, except instead if it using one of YOUR available theme probs it uses one of his. It's stealing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Black Widow's trait is really simple. You use TTPC like normal, except instead if it using one of YOUR available theme probs it uses one of his. It's stealing.
Also she doesn't get a token for using TTPC, even if you use one of your own.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

That reminds me of the Winter Soldier I just got:

quote:

A CONFLICTED MIND: Give an adjacent character a power action to modify Winter Solder's attack or damage value by +1 or -1. This modifier lasts until this trait is used again or there are no other friendly characters on the map.

They mean an adjacent friendly character, right?

The logic, to me, implies that if Winter Soldier is turned against me, I can de-power him a little, but I also have the option to boost him. Right?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Red posted:

That reminds me of the Winter Soldier I just got:

They mean an adjacent friendly character, right?

The logic, to me, implies that if Winter Soldier is turned against me, I can de-power him a little, but I also have the option to boost him. Right?

It doesn't specify "friendly." That means your opponent can do it. WK fucks up wording a lot, but in a situation like that if they leave out the word "friendly" they usually mean it. I can't think offhand of a case where they've made a mistake like that.

In other news: DoFP Colossus! He's got one of those "Outwit this or you can't Outwit anything else" powers at his 200-point level and is pretty nice all around, with traited Super Strength and beginning-of-turn-only Sidestep.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

It doesn't specify "friendly." That means your opponent can do it. WK fucks up wording a lot, but in a situation like that if they leave out the word "friendly" they usually mean it. I can't think offhand of a case where they've made a mistake like that.

Usually, I'd agree, but the wording seems to imply I am giving an adjacent character a power action. If any player could do it, I'd think it'd say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

Usually, I'd agree, but the wording seems to imply I am giving an adjacent character a power action. If any player could do it, I'd think it'd say so.
It does say so. Does it say "friendly"? No? Then non-friendly characters can do it too.

We actually covered this exact power earlier on this page!

• Locked thread