Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That's just cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Snowdens Secret posted:

I was getting my A3 serviced the other day and the dealer had the new A3 sedans in. If they had brought the hatch over, I would've already bought one. I'm sure at least 5 or 6 other people would've done the same.

There are A3 sedans? I have only seen hatch versions

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

8ender posted:

Mazda seems like they've crawled back to focusing on profits and selling as many sort of boring vehicles as possible since they split from Ford.

They are trying to make profits yes, but the cars they make are far from boring to drive. They do a great job at making them still engaging, and all the reviews will back that up

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

You Am I posted:

Welcome to VW of America's marketing. No Audi hatches or wagons unless you want a crossover or hybrid.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

You Am I posted:

It recently became available in Australia, too: http://www.caradvice.com.au/267588/audi-a3-sedan-pricing-and-specifications/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

If there was no model badge on the back of that car, I'd have a hard time telling the difference between an A3 and A4 sedan

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

You Am I posted:

If there was no model badge on the back of that car, I'd have a hard time telling the difference between an A3 and A4 sedan

The A3 is supposed to be more sized to compete with the BMW 1- and 2- series. I think the reality is that the 3-series and A4 both have gotten bigger and the new cars are slotting into that vacated market segment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KakerMix posted:

Welcome to VW of America's marketing. No Audi hatches or wagons unless you want a crossover or hybrid.

VWoA sold the A3 hatch in America for years and it was completely unsuccessful. What do you think they should do differently? Continue to push cars that people don't buy?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

VWoA sold the A3 hatch in America for years and it was completely unsuccessful. What do you think they should do differently? Continue to push cars that people don't buy?

but I swear I'll buy it if you make it RWD and a manual honest

buys a beater mk4 GTI from a buy here pay here on an 18% APR

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

but I swear I'll buy it if you make it RWD and a manual honest

buys a beater mk4 GTI from a buy here pay here on an 18% APR

Enthusiasts are the fuckin worst.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Out of nostalgia today I dredged up my '08 Mazdaspeed 3's VIN and went Googling to see what had become of it.

Welp. :(

Sad to think what becomes of cars you used to own.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tremek posted:

Out of nostalgia today I dredged up my '08 Mazdaspeed 3's VIN and went Googling to see what had become of it.

Welp. :(

Sad to think what becomes of cars you used to own.

Decal on the back window gives it away. When I sold my Speed3 the guy was overseas originally so I was skeptical when he emailed me to buy it, so I did a bunch of research on him to see if he was legit. I turned up his twitter which happened to use the same name he posted on the Mazdaspeed forums. The horrors that poor car experienced, I was sad to have sold it to him.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Enthusiasts are the fuckin worst.

They're just not grounded in reality. I was reading some old article from 2012 about the Audi RS4 Avant, and the comments were ridiculous. (to be fair is was probably jalopnik)

"Audi is losing so much money by not bringing this car to the US"
"I would buy one tomorrow if it was available"
"I'd totally buy this car" (if I wasn't a broke 17 year old kid)

They love to talk, but when it comes down to buying an 80,000 dollar car, there just isn't much of a market for them. They just want them around so they can pick them up for 20K in 10 years.

I'd love for Audi or someone to be like "OK, get 400 people to give us a 20K deposit and we'll bring the car to the US". I would bet they don't get 400 people to put their money where their mouth is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They should accommodate me obviously and sell me an S4 Avant obviously!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

On the plus side the used ones don't hold value at all and are largely ignored by the kind of people who put coffee can exhausts on things. You can pick up one for 8k and it's like a really extra nice GTI. The owners also tend to be the folk that get everything serviced at the dealer and keep records.

In contrast trying to buy a used GTI is like shopping for a Honda Prelude. Every single one is trashed or has a collection of terrible mods on it.

8ender fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 9, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

They should accommodate me obviously and sell me an S4 Avant obviously!

I agree with this and I would actually shell out the money but it's not sufficient.

The problem is that when someone does take a risk or finally bring over a European model, they generally get hosed because enthusiasts are just waiting to buy it used in five years. Doesn't work when nobody buys it new, though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I actually looked into the A3 hatch when I bought my Golf, but the only way to get awd was with amanualautomatic, so that pretty much ended that. Plus I still think the Golf is a better looking car than the A3 hatch is/was. There's just something about it that doesn't look right.

I must have my third pedal. It's also why I completely ignored the 08 .:R

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My brother's selling his Speed3 to buy a truck. We aren't the Super Mazdio Brothers any more. :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Got the first spring wax and wash. Poor girl, she's on borrowed time. 8 months until the new R comes out.

Bonus, the original hot hatch, now in scrap metal form.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

Got the first spring wax and wash. Poor girl, she's on borrowed time. 8 months until the new R comes out.

Bonus, the original hot hatch, now in scrap metal form.

Very nice.

It's it really worth it to move to the R? A quick tune and you're 80% there. Of all manufacturer lines I've always perceived the R's to be the worst value.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That's a TDI.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

1791apparel posted:

Very nice.

It's it really worth it to move to the R? A quick tune and you're 80% there. Of all manufacturer lines I've always perceived the R's to be the worst value.

Bump from 140/240 to 280/290 and AWD. I'll only lose about 9mph. I bought the TDI back when diesel was $1 cheaper than gas. Now it's higher than premium. We get snow out here so the AWD will get used.

E: There's pretty much 0 chance of these 50,000 mile rated tires making it to that point. At just over 26k they're already down to 8/32 front and 10/32 rear. Need to rotate them this weekend.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

1791apparel posted:

Very nice.

You have to want AWD and the pretty blue paint and the stock warranty.

I didn't like the last R, but I'm considering the next one if it actually ends up as good as people are claiming.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Octane Academy morning: skid car, forward 90deg and 180 degree rotations in a Focus. Rear 180s in a Fiesta.

To do: track and urban course.

Taking video so I'll have that up eventually.

Don't bring a guest. Guest program is lame, they do the demo ride in the passenger seat and sit around the rest of the time.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Laranzu posted:

Octane Academy morning: skid car, forward 90deg and 180 degree rotations in a Focus. Rear 180s in a Fiesta.

To do: track and urban course.

Taking video so I'll have that up eventually.

Don't bring a guest. Guest program is lame, they do the demo ride in the passenger seat and sit around the rest of the time.

Which hotel did you stay at? I'm trying to plan my trip right now.

http://www.stoctaneacademy.com/more/plan-your-stay

Oh, and is there any kind of shuttle to the park from the hotel, or did you have to take a cab? Or did you live close and drive LOL.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 10, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
How much lighter is the R than the Focus ST? I want the new R :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You have to want AWD and the pretty blue paint and the stock warranty.

I didn't like the last R, but I'm considering the next one if it actually ends up as good as people are claiming.

The 12 R was only like 30hp more than the GTI.

Things the new R does better than the previous R
Available in manual
way more power
MBQ platform
lighter
you can fully disable the nanny system
100% power to the rear wheels

Focus ST curb weight 3223
15 R curb weight - can't seem to find it.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 10, 2014

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

echobucket posted:

Oh, and is there any kind of shuttle to the park from the hotel, or did you have to take a cab? Or did you live close and drive LOL.

I drove from Denver. Staying in the comfort Inn in Tooele. It's really close to the track but about an hour from the prior evening reception.

Everyone that flew also rented a car so no idea on shuttles. About to do the track.

Urban autocross was pretty great

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Kind of just passing by this thread since I just buckled down and purchased a base model Fiesta yesterday; any thoughts on putting the ST of that in the OP next to the Focus?

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

The 12 R was only like 30hp more than the GTI.

Things the new R does better than the previous R
Available in manual
way more power
MBQ platform
lighter
you can fully disable the nanny system
100% power to the rear wheels

Focus ST curb weight 3223
15 R curb weight - can't seem to find it.

Oops, didn't notice it was TDI.

A stock ST dynos 235 and 275 at the wheels, so it'll likely be down on power a bit to the R. But how much, who knows.

Still the R seems really expensive.

I'm awaiting MK7 vs ST reviews. Seems to be taking a while.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

1791apparel posted:

Oops, didn't notice it was TDI.

A stock ST dynos 235 and 275 at the wheels, so it'll likely be down on power a bit to the R. But how much, who knows.

Still the R seems really expensive.

I'm awaiting MK7 vs ST reviews. Seems to be taking a while.

Ya but have fun putting that 275 to the road with FWD only. Also, I pretty much hate the look of the Focus ST personally. It's way too busy.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

Ya but have fun putting that 275 to the road with FWD only. Also, I pretty much hate the look of the Focus ST personally. It's way too busy.

It's actually not bad with the stock rubber.

Couldn't you just tune the TDI for a bit more grunt?

If the R edges close to the high $30ks it'll be interesting to see how well it sells.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

1791apparel posted:

It's actually not bad with the stock rubber.

Couldn't you just tune the TDI for a bit more grunt?

If the R edges close to the high $30ks it'll be interesting to see how well it sells.

High 30k!?! bonkers to me.

I'm really excited about the GTI coming, and there is a very good chance I finally sell/trade in my '04 Civic Si hatch for either the 2015 year or 2016 model year GTI [or maybe get the 2015 when they are trying to sell them after the 2016's have come out], but 328i money for a Golf seems way too steep.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think of the R and the Focus ST as direct competitors. The ST is this generations SRT-4, start with a cheap car, give it an awesome power plant, and sell it at an affordable price. (The ST is a way better car than the SRT-4 was) A ST3 trimmed car can be had for roughly 25K with good negotiating. The R looks like it's going to start at 34K and depending on options probably be around 37 or 38K, probably with very little discount. That's STI/EVO/CPO BMW territory. You can compare the two since they're both 5 door hatchbacks, but that 10K difference puts the VW in a different class in my book.

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002

echobucket posted:

I'm doing this in May and reserved at the "official host hotel" Hyatt Place, next to SLC Airport, that's given on Ford's website. They have a corporate code on there that drops the price per night to $95, though the downside is its about a 35 min drive from MMP.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

skipdogg posted:

I don't think of the R and the Focus ST as direct competitors. The ST is this generations SRT-4, start with a cheap car, give it an awesome power plant, and sell it at an affordable price. (The ST is a way better car than the SRT-4 was) A ST3 trimmed car can be had for roughly 25K with good negotiating. The R looks like it's going to start at 34K and depending on options probably be around 37 or 38K, probably with very little discount. That's STI/EVO/CPO BMW territory. You can compare the two since they're both 5 door hatchbacks, but that 10K difference puts the VW in a different class in my book.

Absolutely, in fact I picked my ST2 up new for $22K.

I just don't see the added value for an additional $10K. Don't get me wrong, the R will be an awesome car, but the marginal difference in performance is relative.

Granted I suppose you could apply this argument to the STI over the WRX as well, yet the STI still finds plenty of buyers.

Definitely different markets though. I'm excited to the see the new GTI as well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Yeah the R isn't for everyone, so much so that the MK6 version didn't sell too hot here in the US. I picked mine up over the GTI because I'm the sort of person to pay the 5k~ premium over a fully-loaded GTI because of no torque steer and blue needles and black trim. I shopped though, boy did I shop before I picked up my 13. MazdaSpeed3 was too hard, Focus ST was too boy ricer, STI was too bargain-bin interior. The R is as close to the perfect car for me that I can find here in the USA. The only thing that I'd like better would be if we got a wagon variant but that won't happen.

So yeah, I'll be joining veedub and be picking up the new R when it becomes available here in the US in 2015, although I'm not a fan of the new wheels they've gone with.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The Octane Academy in the afternoon was a blast. It was about 74 degrees and beautiful out, after a long winter I'm now sunburned as hell.

You get to do the urban autocross course a few times, twice timed. Placed second in the class at 50.5 seconds. :banjo: Got a bunch of laps on the track and then got blown away by a hot lap in the passenger seat of a Fiesta. The day is topped off with some really fast go carts. The goodie bag isn't half bad either.

Bring a GoPro/Suction mount if you want. You can stick it to the outside of the car, but they wouldn't let it inside due to the projectile danger (might have just been my instructor). Videos might be up tonight, only have the netbook so any editing work takes basically forever.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

1791apparel posted:

Absolutely, in fact I picked my ST2 up new for $22K.

I just don't see the added value for an additional $10K. Don't get me wrong, the R will be an awesome car, but the marginal difference in performance is relative.

Granted I suppose you could apply this argument to the STI over the WRX as well, yet the STI still finds plenty of buyers.

Definitely different markets though. I'm excited to the see the new GTI as well.

Personally, I'm interested in the R because of the AWD (I drive to Tahoe a lot and Caltrans has some interesting thoughts about how necessary chains are on 2WD cars). If not for that I don't think it would come close to being worth it, but now that the WRX/STi are sedan only, there isn't really any sufficiently similar car to compare it to available new in the US, except maybe a Mini Countryman S All4 or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Subaru are possibly reviving the hatch, I haven't seen anything more current than this report though.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/04/subaru-may-revive-the-wrx-hatchback