Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My timestamps are an hour earlier than the real time. Did daylight rear end in a top hat time cause issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

My timestamps are an hour earlier than the real time. Did daylight rear end in a top hat time cause issues?

Make sure your "Disable/Enable DST" and "Time Offset" settings are correct. It probably got screwed up somewhere when it kicked in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kaethela posted:

Make sure your "Disable/Enable DST" and "Time Offset" settings are correct. It probably got screwed up somewhere when it kicked in.

That worked. I guess I expected that Awful would normalize timestamps to whatever my device's current timezone was, maybe that's not feasible.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Beastie posted:

I got a pretty heavy bug. I was hopping on to check out the DnD pictures thread and it was taking quite a bit to load (university's wifi is poo poo) so I hit the home button on my ipad to jump out and play a game. Some time later I got home and relaunched the app. I have the black screen with the blue header and I can see the little loading wheel spin for a few seconds. Then it disappears and I'm stuck. No menu bar, no button for the menu bar, nothing. I closed the app and rebooted my ipad, twice, and got the same result. I had to redownload the app to resolve it. I realize this isn't necessarily the best information. I had the most recent version of the app.

This just happened to me, too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Beastie posted:

I got a pretty heavy bug. I was hopping on to check out the DnD pictures thread and it was taking quite a bit to load (university's wifi is poo poo) so I hit the home button on my ipad to jump out and play a game. Some time later I got home and relaunched the app. I have the black screen with the blue header and I can see the little loading wheel spin for a few seconds. Then it disappears and I'm stuck. No menu bar, no button for the menu bar, nothing. I closed the app and rebooted my ipad, twice, and got the same result. I had to redownload the app to resolve it. I realize this isn't necessarily the best information. I had the most recent version of the app.

It seems like there's some fuckery I don't yet understand with the posts screen as it loads, perhaps exacerbated by low memory conditions. Some issues others have reported sound like they share an underlying cause. I'll see what I can do.

Subjunctive posted:

I guess I expected that Awful would normalize timestamps to whatever my device's current timezone was, maybe that's not feasible.

It's feasible. Currently Awful just assumes the Forums is set to your device's current timezone. The fix would be to scrape the user control panel to determine the Forums's timezone. I'll add it to the list.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Are there any improvements to the speed of the app in the works? Even on fast wifi it seems super slow to load pages.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The last beta actually has improved the speed of Forums and Bookmarks tremendously. I think pokeyman is always looking at ways to make that quicker, obviously there are some bottlenecks that are unavoidable.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

There's a bunch of easy, obvious stuff to do that I'm doing now, and then there's some probably trickier stuff to do thereafter. The next version should be much faster.

There's no technical reason I can think of that would force Awful to be slower than Safari when browsing the forums. Several practical reasons but no technical reasons.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
So I thought my eyes were going crazy at first, but I got a screenshot that proves that no, I was seeing right. In the MacinYOS theme, the text alternates back and forth between kinda blurry and clear to read. You can't really tell from the thumbnail, but if you blow it up you can notice the difference in the text between the post on top and the next post:

I guess it's alternating between aliased and anti-aliased? At first I was like "maybe this was supposed to be fuzzy all along as part of the theme and I was just holding my phone so far away that I didn't notice", but once I took a closer look I noticed that not only does it sometimes differ between posts, but I've also seen it switch back and forth between aliased/anti-aliased within the same post. 5S running stock 7.1 here.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I've noticed that too, and I've never really known what the hell is going on. Part of me thinks it's fitting the whole "this text looks awful" theme, but it shouldn't be different kinds of awful on different lines.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Page 115 of the TvTropes thread seems to be crashing the app consistently, for some reason.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Will check that out, thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hey pokeyman, do you need anything from me on the autoclose before the next release? I'll try to get the button floated to the right, but I'm not sure how long it'll take since I'm learning about the layout models one fugly IB experiment at a time. The bbcode list doesn't seem like a showstopper.

Also, I found a bug in the webview that I'll try to get to soon: if you pop up the share window and then hit the button again, it pops a new one over top (darkening the screen further) and then they pop away as you pick from the menu. Pressing it when it's open should close it, right? (If nothing else, it seems like it's a tap outside the popup.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Hey pokeyman, do you need anything from me on the autoclose before the next release? I'll try to get the button floated to the right, but I'm not sure how long it'll take since I'm learning about the layout models one fugly IB experiment at a time. The bbcode list doesn't seem like a showstopper.

Nope just being slow. If you get stuck with the layout I'm happy to take a run at it, give you an example. I'm also not in a rush, so if you want to take a stab or ten go right ahead.

edit: I should add I'm probably doing you a disservice with how layout is done in most of Awful, so don't hold it up as some prime example. Especially the total lack of Interface Builder, which was just me getting pissy at iPad storyboards ages ago.

quote:

Also, I found a bug in the webview that I'll try to get to soon: if you pop up the share window and then hit the button again, it pops a new one over top (darkening the screen further) and then they pop away as you pick from the menu. Pressing it when it's open should close it, right? (If nothing else, it seems like it's a tap outside the popup.)

Should either close the popover or at worst do nothing. I'll add it to the list.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 6, 2014

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Please add flags to fyad, thanks

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Tardigrade posted:

Page 115 of the TvTropes thread seems to be crashing the app consistently, for some reason.

I'm not seeing this. Does it crash for anyone else? (here's a link)

Tardigrade, can you tell me what device you're using?

Crime on a Dime posted:

Please add flags to fyad, thanks

I'm not sure what this means, but anyone who does is welcome to make it happen!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Loaded for me, iPhone 5 on iOS 7.1.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fourwood posted:

Good to hear.

Tardigrade posted:

There's a good chance that this is some weird stuff I can't figure out how to control. The vast majority of Awful crashes come from the web view used to display posts. It crashes for (what are to me, anyway) completely opaque reasons. I've tried a few things to stave off the crashes I kind of understand, and I'm not completely out of ideas, but I'm pretty close to just blaming the web view on this one.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

fourwood posted:

Same over here.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

pokeyman posted:

I'm not seeing this. Does it crash for anyone else? (here's a link)

Loaded for me on an iPhone 5s with iOS 7.1

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Worked on my 4s running 7.0.4

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Worked fine on my iPad 3 until I came back to this thread, then I got a bullshitty WebCore crash. Really wish I had a way to track those down. Maybe it's time to crawl around in the WebKit repository once more.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Worked fine on my iPad 3 until I came back to this thread, then I got a bullshitty WebCore crash. Really wish I had a way to track those down. Maybe it's time to crawl around in the WebKit repository once more.

Is there a way to see the crash details for these? I speak some WebCore.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to see the crash details for these? I speak some WebCore.

Sure! Here are the top ten most reported crashes to date in Awful 2.0.5, the currently-available version in the App Store (they all come through WebCore):

1. http://crashes.to/s/3f648451b51
  2. http://crashes.to/s/378d961690c
  3. http://crashes.to/s/60fbdb56c26
  4. http://crashes.to/s/bfbfec71345
  5. http://crashes.to/s/bce60dbdfd2
  6. http://crashes.to/s/0a542b2cdb3
  7. http://crashes.to/s/cebf561766f
  8. http://crashes.to/s/44916c859df
  9. http://crashes.to/s/490ec6c76e2
  10. http://crashes.to/s/8e219ac5c13

I'll save my theories for after you take a look, as I don't want to inadvertently suggest a root cause.

Combined, those ten crashes account for 2,854 out of the 4,274 reported crashes. I would absolutely love to clean these up.

For reference, Awful talks to WebCore via UIWebViews in Source/Posts/AwfulPostsView.m and Source/Browsing/AwfulBrowserViewController.m. I'm much more focused on fixing the former.

edit: Oh, and my iPad 3 running iOS 7.1 appears to include WebKit version 537.51.2.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 7, 2014

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Beastie posted:

One way to work around this bug is to start up a ton of apps, I used different games, and at some point it will force the iPad to restart the Awful app when you open it. I guess it gets pushed out of the memory or something.

But really, it's the worst bug I've encountered yet and I would for it to get fixed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trump posted:

One way to work around this bug is to start up a ton of apps, I used different games, and at some point it will force the iPad to restart the Awful app when you open it. I guess it gets pushed out of the memory or something.

But really, it's the worst bug I've encountered yet and I would for it to get fixed.

Does it work to double-press the home button and then swipe away Awful? That should also evict it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Trump posted:

I'd love to fix it, but I've never encountered it. With the nav bar disappearing? Being totally stuck? Yeah.

I hope I see it though, so I can fix it.

Subjunctive posted:

Does it work to double-press the home button and then swipe away Awful? That should also evict it.

Then you lose your place. If iOS kicks it out, restoration data is saved, but if you force quit, no restoration.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I'd love to fix it, but I've never encountered it. With the nav bar disappearing? Being totally stuck? Yeah.

I hope I see it though, so I can fix it.

Then you lose your place. If iOS kicks it out, restoration data is saved, but if you force quit, no restoration.

Yeah, would have to save restoration data on backgrounding or something.

We have an internal system that lets you shake the device to trigger a bug report (copies of internal logs and stuff); I'll see if we released the code anywhere. Would need some server-side thing to point it at, but could probably make it look like a Crashalytics dump without too much work. Edit: of course all the interesting stuff is the server side, mostly. I'll file a task for it, see what I can whip up in a while.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 8, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, would have to save restoration data on backgrounding or something.

We have an internal system that lets you shake the device to trigger a bug report (copies of internal logs and stuff); I'll see if we released the code anywhere. Would need some server-side thing to point it at, but could probably make it look like a Crashalytics dump without too much work.

I've been meaning for ages to put in meaningful logging but I never get around to it. Would be a nice addition. Instead of some server somewhere it'd probably just send an email, I try not to do anything with Awful that requires spending money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I've been meaning for ages to put in meaningful logging but I never get around to it. Would be a nice addition. Instead of some server somewhere it'd probably just send an email, I try not to do anything with Awful that requires spending money.

If we wouldn't get more than 1M requests/month or 20/sec, we could use the free Parse stuff. (And if we went over that I can almost certainly get it free anyway.)

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Subjunctive posted:

Nope, doesn't work.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Trump posted:

Nope, doesn't work.

I have seen cases where opening Awful once again doesn't load any posts, but you can still press the back button to get out of the busted posts screen. So I'll keep an eye out, and if you come across anything interesting do let me know.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

I'm getting a weird issue whenever I load any forum's thread list. I get an error code and none of the threads populate. I'll attach a shot of it:

Anybody have any idea as to what causes it?

I tried logging out and reinstalling with no luck. The bookmark list works and the only way I could get to this thread was through the link in settings.

I'm on an iPod 5th gen on 7.1

Guw fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 9, 2014

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I'm getting it too. Wonder if it's the stickied announcement on all forums that's causing it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, same here.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I am also getting the error.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I'm getting that error too, but the thread lists seem to be loading fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Caithness posted:

I'm getting that error too, but the thread lists seem to be loading fine.

The thread list updates if you have it cached already, but if you go into a new forum it probably won't load.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Subjunctive posted:

The thread list updates if you have it cached already, but if you go into a new forum it probably won't load.

Or if you've changed your password tonight and had to log back in. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

D-Sho Qub posted:

I'm getting a weird issue whenever I load any forum's thread list. I get an error code and none of the threads populate. I'll attach a shot of it:

Anybody have any idea as to what causes it?

I tried logging out and reinstalling with no luck. The bookmark list works and the only way I could get to this thread was through the link in settings.

I'm on an iPod 5th gen on 7.1

I did the same and am still stuck as well. Seemed to start immediately after updating to OS7.1, although that might be a coincidence. I'm on an iPhone 5s.

• Locked thread