Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Blackheart posted:

It looks very nice but... there's an actual MP coming up. I guess this is good for those guys who hate "Armored White Prime" Magnus?

Armored Magnus for some, not-armored Magnus for others. Everybody wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

catch22 posted:

Armored Magnus for some, not-armored Magnus for others. Everybody wins.

What if I want a Magnus figure that reveals a little Minimus Ambus when the armor comes off?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Why cookie Rocket posted:

My stupid hasty ill-advised pre-order is paying off!

(I made it last week when things didn't look as good because I am an impatient moron)

Preorder of that Magnus?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

RaspberryCommie posted:

What if I want a Magnus figure that reveals a little Minimus Ambus when the armor comes off?

The third party Minimus Ambus fits comfortably inside of this one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AzraelNewtype posted:

The third party Minimus Ambus fits comfortably inside of this one.

Is there seriously a third party Minimus? Does it have an even tinier Minimus inside the regular Minimus?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
You can find it here.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
You could also get a Minimus who fits in a Minimus who fits in a Magnus. Matryoshakamus

source

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's Crosshairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evrou6nShgg

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Chu Chu posted:

You could also get a Minimus who fits in a Minimus who fits in a Magnus. Matryoshakamus

source

This is amazing.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

http://thumbquest.tumblr.com posted:

You check your subspace for useful items. There’s a few sticks of energon candy, your precious framed picture of Blurr, your communicator, and the glass you drank that engex from earlier. You suppose that the candy might come in handy, but there’s no way in the Pit that you’re going to be taking out that picture of Blurr. You don’t want to risk getting dust on it or something.

Anyway, back to business.

You try just about everything you can think of to wake up your friend. Kicking, slapping, dumping engex on his head, nothing seems to be working. What a waste of good engex. You’ll have to add it to his tab later.

You’re just about to draw an Alpha Trion style facial ornament on him when he boots up rather suddenly.

As previously mentioned, this is TAILGATE. You don’t know much about him, other than the fact that he was in the Primal Vanguard and he once won the Miss Iacon beauty contest eight decades in a row, only stopping because he was disqualified for winning too much. He seems a little confused, possibly due to the engex all over him.

What now?

Something I ran into. I think I'll be following this. The art is cute.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Veg posted:

Preorder of that Magnus?

Yup. I read all the reviews of KFC's perceptor, then promptly said "gently caress it, he looks too cool I am powerless".

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So have Targets just stopped ordering new Transformers all together? The ones near me been stuck on the exact same waves for everything for at least two months now. And they're not even the most recent ones either.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

And here's Bumblebee.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

An Angry Bug posted:

So have Targets just stopped ordering new Transformers all together? The ones near me been stuck on the exact same waves for everything for at least two months now. And they're not even the most recent ones either.

I put off ordering Whirl because someone said they saw him at target ... But I go there every week and they have had the same lone generations figure forever. I get 15% off everything in the store so it's double annoying that they haven't restocked in at least 6 weeks.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Chu Chu posted:

I put off ordering Whirl because someone said they saw him at target ... But I go there every week and they have had the same lone generations figure forever. I get 15% off everything in the store so it's double annoying that they haven't restocked in at least 6 weeks.

I haven't seen a Rhinox, Doubledealer, or Whirl on any of my local shelves and for whatever it's worth the movie 4 toys are going to be out next month.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

An Angry Bug posted:

This happens during movie lead up. Retails don't really like stocking Generations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I've seen Whirl and Doubledealer and all of the deluxe guys at my Target, but never for very long. They still have a lot of Springers and Sandstorms and Blitzwings. And Beast Hunters. Many of those.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Yeah I've given up finding them in actual stores. Double Dealer was the last one I was missing and I found one online for 20 bucks with no shipping so I just went for it.

And then I thought I was all caught up and it turns out the Tank, Rattrap, and Silver Skids guy who is not Skids wave is turning up in stores as well as legends Shrapnel and Tailgate.

I'm just thankful that none of the newer Platinum releases are part of Generations. The shelves around here are loaded with those 100 dollar Starscreams that nobody will buy. If they were marked in Generations boxes I'd be certain that they would have killed the line by now.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 9, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm finally watching Dark of the Moon. Jesus Christ, what is this poo poo? I'm 40 minutes in and I've watched 10 minutes cool space conspiracy/Autobot stuff and 30 mins of TheBeef's car/jealousy problems.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm finally watching Dark of the Moon. Jesus Christ, what is this poo poo? I'm 40 minutes in and I've watched 10 minutes cool space conspiracy/Autobot stuff and 30 mins of TheBeef's car/jealousy problems.

By the time he starts aggressively forcing his way into the NEST base it's almost like the character is as tired of the glacial pace of the movie as the audience is and just wants something to loving happen already.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You can almost entirely divorce the first half of the movie from the second. Since all the characters are written to trope with absolutely zero depth that isn't conveyed visually, you won't miss even the slightest anything. You can tell from looking at him that Megatron is in a sorry state, or that the douchebag is a douchebag, so it doesn't matter. There are no plot twists and nothing happens you won't expect. The "conspiracy" is stupid and isn't really relevant.

The second half is pretty good robot action though, there's a good ten to fifteen minutes buried in there I think I actually quite liked. In fact if you ignore the first half, Optimus comes off as heroic and righteous, as opposed to rather petulant and kinda bitter. Well up until the execution.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, and Ken Jeong's just turned up to poo poo all over this too. This is an absolute struggle.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Terry van Feleday's analysis of the Bay Movies is a real treat, you should check out that topic or get a hold of the .pdf to read if you haven't already.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ I'm telling you dude, there's a serious trolling the longtime fans vibe that Terry unearths in a coherent manner.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 10, 2014

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Ken Jeong section is probably the worst and weirdest part of the movie, and that's saying something. The Malkovich character is also one of the most puzzling inclusions in the entire series. He doesn't actually do anything or serve any plot-related purpose specifically, and he straight up vanishes halfway through the movie.

Seriously, sometimes I wonder if Bay & Co. actually watch these things before they release them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Seriously, sometimes I wonder if Bay & Co. actually watch these things before they release them.

The videogame for the third movie is probably going to handwave everything away at the end saying that the movies were just part of Swerve's Memoirs that were a bunch of stuff that didn't happen because Swerve is a filthy lying liar.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

If anyone's looking for year-old Generations Voyagers, they are all in Los Angeles.

Yet not a single Rhinox anywhere.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

This looks like every Target I've ever gone to.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Keldroc posted:

If anyone's looking for year-old Generations Voyagers, they are all in Los Angeles.

Yet not a single Rhinox anywhere.

You say that like every Target doesn't look like that.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mine are actually all barebones right now. Splattering of prime beast toys and some sad generations tapes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revolver Bunker posted:

Mine are actually all barebones right now. Splattering of prime beast toys and some sad generations tapes.

Mine just have the Constuct-Bots poo poo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

Mine just have the Constuct-Bots poo poo.

This is all the stores I go to ever.

It's probably going to be hell getting the waves during the movie period. Not only will stores just mostly stock movie stuff, the figures that are upcoming like Leader Megatron, Arcee, Brawn, and the rest are going to be in high demand.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

That's TRU. The Targets here have been empty of everything except Beast Hunters Ratchets and FoC Data Discs for months.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Yup. I read all the reviews of KFC's perceptor, then promptly said "gently caress it, he looks too cool I am powerless".

I really like him. I love how his cab folds back into his back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Terry van Feleday's analysis of the Bay Movies is a real treat, you should check out that topic or get a hold of the .pdf to read if you haven't already.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ I'm telling you dude, there's a serious trolling the longtime fans vibe that Terry unearths in a coherent manner.

I'm all for treating film as an art form that's as dense as literature, and not dismissing something from that kind of reading because it's populist or mainstream, but when the crux of your argument is that it's OK for these movies to be racist and sexist, that portraying the protagonists as assholes and murderers, that filling them with horrific stereotypes and actively alienating the audience is all OK because SATIRE, I think you might be too close to the material. (I MIGHT buy the satire bit if we were given any reason to give a poo poo about the Decepticons, such that you gradually realise THEY're the good guys, but they barely get any screentime, let along character) Hell, half the argument FOR the action scenes is "it's cool that they're incoherent and you have no reason to care because PRETTY!" which, fine, if the visual cacophony that is those films hits you that way, then, fine, but they're not abstract art movies, they're narrative pieces, and those sequences fail pretty hard at telling ANY story, let alone the one the films are presented (and culturally filtered via the nostalgia for the franchise) as being about.

Bottom line, I much prefer to presume incompetence with those movies because the alternative would be a concentrated effort by hundreds of people to make movies that are at best wrongheaded, at worst actively damaging, as well as showing a huge misunderstanding of storytelling.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Well, yeah. It's fun to reinterpret them the way she does, but anyone who actually thinks they were intended to give those messages is a few circuits short of a board.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Gaz-L posted:

I'm all for treating film as an art form that's as dense as literature, and not dismissing something from that kind of reading because it's populist or mainstream, but when the crux of your argument is that it's OK for these movies to be racist and sexist, that portraying the protagonists as assholes and murderers, that filling them with horrific stereotypes and actively alienating the audience is all OK because SATIRE, I think you might be too close to the material. (I MIGHT buy the satire bit if we were given any reason to give a poo poo about the Decepticons, such that you gradually realise THEY're the good guys, but they barely get any screentime, let along character) Hell, half the argument FOR the action scenes is "it's cool that they're incoherent and you have no reason to care because PRETTY!" which, fine, if the visual cacophony that is those films hits you that way, then, fine, but they're not abstract art movies, they're narrative pieces, and those sequences fail pretty hard at telling ANY story, let alone the one the films are presented (and culturally filtered via the nostalgia for the franchise) as being about.

Bottom line, I much prefer to presume incompetence with those movies because the alternative would be a concentrated effort by hundreds of people to make movies that are at best wrongheaded, at worst actively damaging, as well as showing a huge misunderstanding of storytelling.

Man, if you went into Cinema Discusso, you would flip your poo poo.

(For the record, I almost never post there because bad posters like Super Mechagodzilla are terrible and are everywhere. Yeah, the Death of the Author is necessary for modern criticism but CD just takes it to ridiculous levels.)

The Michael Bay Transformers movies are great\terrible\horrifying because they are like a look into the mind of the racist, homophobic, violent, warmongering Republican heartland of America. Well, that and they're just poorly put together and make no sense.

I do sometimes wonder if the movies are satire and purposefully trolling, though. I.e. in the trailer to TF4 there was an American flag in almost every shot. And like, Hound is basically Bulkhead and looks just like Bulkhead except he's called Hound.

They're still bad movies, but it's up to you as to whether they are good bad movies, or just bad bad movies. And I can see either way, really.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Art can make you feel strongly about things. Trolling can be art.

The feelings are not always good ones.

Maybe I'm just a big Moseby. But then I see the undercurrents in pew pew pew Bay movies and Terry starts to make a lot of sense.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There's entirely too much going on in those films from a visual and narrative standpoint for it to all be accidental. If you take nothing away from Terry's thread, let it be that someone, somewhere, maybe Bay himself, really cared about what was going on onscreen. If nothing else it was an interesting thread to read to get some insight into film criticism and subtext.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Art can make you feel strongly about things. Trolling can be art.

The feelings are not always good ones.

Maybe I'm just a big Moseby. But then I see the undercurrents in pew pew pew Bay movies and Terry starts to make a lot of sense.

Terry's stuff on the TF movies is great because it's satire of its own. The absurd notion that the TF movies could actually be carefully constructed satirical commentary on America, themselves and mainstream blockbuster film in general is the core comedic premise of her interpretation of them, and then she very cleverly and carefully works backward from that premise to create an argument that, in absence of any actual substance overtly present in the films themselves, feels plausible because it fills that gap. It's the film criticism equivalent of Who Killed JFK? or 9/11 conspiracies. We want explanations and complex reasons for horrible things to exist and happen in a chaotic world, and it can be easier to latch onto complicated fanciful explanations rather than accept the stark truth staring us in the face.

Terry's write ups on the Bay films provide a way to synthesize the seemingly random and empty decisions that went into creating them and gives us a fabrication to plug into that hole that lets us pretend, if even briefly and with a laugh, that millions weren't spent and billions weren't made by careless and thoughtless inclusions of racist, sexist, vapidly insulting tripe with a glossy sheen on it. That's why they work so well and also why they're so funny; in addition to her clever interpretations and commentary, the meta-humor is the very idea that this could actually be a serious interpretation of the Bay TF films, compounded with the fact that, quite frankly, we really don't have a better explanation for a lot of it so it's hilariously and disturbingly plausible.

SRM posted:

There's entirely too much going on in those films from a visual and narrative standpoint for it to all be accidental. If you take nothing away from Terry's thread, let it be that someone, somewhere, maybe Bay himself, really cared about what was going on onscreen. If nothing else it was an interesting thread to read to get some insight into film criticism and subtext.

No, if you take nothing else away from Terry's thread, let it be that gazing into the abyss can cause hallucinations, but at least that's more interesting than staring at the abyss for two hours.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Got my KO Prowl today and the quality is very good. The paint looks fine to me, though I don't doubt the Takara paint is better. One problem though is the paint on the side of his head is kind of messed up:

Gonna write the seller and see if I can get a replacement head. That aside though it was totally worth the $40 and I'll definitely buy Smokescreen and Bluestreak if they pop up