Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Step one is getting your thread goldmined. Has there been any word on that?

Like I said, nobody cares about me and my journey of BASIL, locomotion-related mishaps and self-discovery. :qq:

Edit: I also made this but i think like .4 people saw it and I want more attention so.

tuyop posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbIZ1IuqCzU&feature=kp

Two folks broke up in twenty oh six
From some dark turbulent financial history
Twelve loans lined up across the spreadsheet
Seems the mainstream is gonna eat your wage.

BFC told the lady she had nothin to fear
Said, "The first thing you wanna do is post around here"
She prolly came from a town with a midwest name
But one of the facts gonna cause some real pain

Same numbers in the checking, same red on the sheet
Been one sleeve empty eighteen years in all
Got cats and kid, away from the world
She's thirty-eight years old, never swiped a card

We were lurking round the forums, heard that the thread got made
Zaurg said he gonna tell us when he beat the thing
Heard the clack on my keyboard in the middle of the night
Held down F5 for a chance to give advice

See my husband got mad, so we had to split
So off I went to uni, I got some thinking skills
Finances back to normal when we closed accounts
But I still stare at my shoes when I pass the bank

My TA cried, "Now the traveling must begin"
She whispered, "Not for the time being at least"
And in her handbag got that empty wallet sleeve
Thinkin how am I gonna get this done

Same numbers in the checking, same red on the sheet
Been one sleeve empty eighteen years in all
Got cats and kid, away from the world

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Like I said, nobody cares about me and my journey of BASIL, locomotion-related mishaps and self-discovery. :qq:

Edit: I also made this but i think like .4 people saw it and I want more attention so.

I admire what you've accomplished. I never thought you would get to the place you are today, and I've enjoyed your insights in other people's threads.

I liked your song, too :glomp:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

My friend's apartment burned down last week. Nobody hurt, but they're homeless and they lost all their stuff. I've been toying with the idea of buying a condo, but man, this is really making me reconsider the idea of owning property.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Bubbacub posted:

My friend's apartment burned down last week. Nobody hurt, but they're homeless and they lost all their stuff. I've been toying with the idea of buying a condo, but man, this is really making me reconsider the idea of owning property.

Did they not have renter's insurance or something? :confused:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Changed my password whoop whoop I am invincible now hackers.

Anyway, I was going to post this in one of the current budget threads but SlowMo's thread is really boring to me because it was obvious from page one he could easily pay down that debt but instead he just wanted to brag about how much money he made and what he spent his money on, which isn't even entertaining. I checked in months later and while I'm sure some entertaining stuff happened between my visits nothing seemed to have changed.

Everyone keeps suggesting that it's a good read though so maybe there's something I'm missing.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Anyway, I was going to post this in one of the current budget threads but SlowMo's thread is really boring to me because it was obvious from page one he could easily pay down that debt but instead he just wanted to brag about how much money he made and what he spent his money on, which isn't even entertaining. I checked in months later and while I'm sure some entertaining stuff happened between my visits nothing seemed to have changed.

Everyone keeps suggesting that it's a good read though so maybe there's something I'm missing.

He considered buying a condo with a scorpion on the wall. I mean, you couldn't write that perfection.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I stay for fallacies from The Smartest Guy in the Room. And the convoluted hoops he draws his finances through.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

I stay for fallacies from The Smartest Guy in the Room. And the convoluted hoops he draws his finances through.

I stay to criticize how poorly his excel budgets look and find the errors. I would never do this to a person who didn't claim to be an excel wizard though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man, I really can't wait for this month to be over with so I can finally make my Roth Contributions. Right now I'm sitting on 12k but 5 of that is going to a down-payment on a home and 2.5k of that is an insurance check that needs to go to my car once it gets out of the shop.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
:woop: :woop: I have been working 13-14 hours everyday doing expo poo poo since Saturday. Only a measly 5 days. Plus I don't have time to spend money!

It's rewarding work getting more sales lead and stuff, but man how the heck do you hardcore white collar professional BFCers live your life?

I'm already wiped and definitely am not cut out for banker/investment/account/finance/etc.. Just a happy happy salary man :imafag:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Net worth turned positive in Mint today. A year ago it was -20k (gently caress you condo).

Right now it's growing at about 2400 a month and I expect that to continue and possibly even get a little better. Wish I'd started on this four years earlier but better late than never.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Net worth turned positive in Mint today. A year ago it was -20k (gently caress you condo).

Right now it's growing at about 2400 a month and I expect that to continue and possibly even get a little better. Wish I'd started on this four years earlier but better late than never.

Great job :)

One of us! One of us! Gooble Gobble! Gooble Gobble!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man, I put my wife in charge of the budget last month and it's a goddamn mess. She's always been totally on board with it, and we work together on goals, but I always did the software part for us. I totally forgot that I learned those skills over like three years. It's so hard to let go and let her figure it out.

I recommend switching roles like this, it's really informative.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Man, I put my wife in charge of the budget last month and it's a goddamn mess. She's always been totally on board with it, and we work together on goals, but I always did the software part for us. I totally forgot that I learned those skills over like three years. It's so hard to let go and let her figure it out.

I am totally going to do this! What a great idea!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I've been working on not snacking during the day as well as bringing in my own lunches. It's been good in that I make exactly how much I will need, since I find most of the takeaway places near my work give massive serves of not-particularly-healthy food, and I'm no longer wasting money on those charity box sweets they have lying around our office. That said it's really hard to avoid the temptation, because the box sits right near my desk and I can see it out the corner of my eye.

caberham posted:

It's rewarding work getting more sales lead and stuff, but man how the heck do you hardcore white collar professional BFCers live your life?

I'm already wiped and definitely am not cut out for banker/investment/account/finance/etc.. Just a happy happy salary man :imafag:
I completely understand what you mean, I find the idea of allowing work to take over your life like that completely alien. I mean it's great if you enjoy it or don't mind the work, but for me it would get old very quickly.

Sometimes I get asked why I'm so careful with money given that I can just take on extra duties at work and make it all back quickly. The thing I don't think they get about overtime or being oncall for your work is that you usually can't say 'oh I'm done making money for the week' and walk away, so you have little to no control as to whether you earn the bare minimum extra or make mad bank. Particularly with my work, where there's an oncall phone. If I was ever offered it (which is unlikely because I suspect the two people doing it these days both want that extra cash more than me), I'd turn it down simply because I would find it too intrusive.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Free snacks at work are the worst, also the soda machine taking credit. I have been a champ lately though and not touched the stuff. Helps keep you in shape as well!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
What would be the ultimate, healthy, goto on the clock office snack?

I used to use almonds but those get really old fast.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

spwrozek posted:

Free snacks at work are the worst, also the soda machine taking credit. I have been a champ lately though and not touched the stuff. Helps keep you in shape as well!

Yeah my work is big on the free snacks thing. I've managed to talk one of the supervisors into doing platters of not-too-unhealthy foods every once in a while, though.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I keep a small bag of almonds on my desk at work, haha. You could try celery/carrot with hummus, or fruit, or boil up some eggs in advance and keep them in the office fridge, or even protein bars (though they are kinda expensive). That said I realised a few weeks ago that I require less kJ than average, so I just try to abstain from snacking at all which has lead to me drinking gallons more water than usual.

froglet fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 10, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Water. Just chug a whole water bottle of it to keep your appetite full. Jews and Muslims can fast for more than a day, so a little hunger pang won't hurt the average office worker.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Fruit (fresh preferred) and nuts are my go-to snack at work.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I wish budgeting worked like accounting so I could put all this dental work as an asset instead of having to eat up more expenses and losing out on those sweet net worth gains :sigh:

228 gone to a rotted tooth being pulled.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I like to buy a massive bag of those "cuties" (tiny oranges) and keep them at work. I used to keep nuts in my drawer but after a while I couldn't stand the dryness - I wanted something squishy. It's a weird craving to have/explain, but hey, I found a semi-healthy outlet for it.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I would second what caberham mentioned about drinking lots of water. I'd mostly do that.

Or.. carrot sticks. With a little training, you can get that crunching really loud, and bug the rest of your coworkers. It's their fault they aren't wearing headphones. Unless you have your own office, in which case, drat, you should totally have a little fridge and microwave in there and eat hot pockets all day.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I just ate some jellybeans :v:

I too am hungry for lunch which is packed, and at least a bit healthier (salad and ham/salami sammich).

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I get energy drinks, instant coffee, protien bars, ramen cups, and these little lentil meal thingies from costco, and basically keep a little larder in my office.

My job involves about 5 hours of siting at a computer or a shipping table and 8 hours of sweating in a kitchen. If I don't keep the caloric intake going then I'll pretty much just collapse at the end of the day.

Also, the snacks are fair game for my employees. I can't pay them more than a poo poo wage, so if I can save my employee $3.00 on getting an energy drink at the gas station before every shift and it only costs me $.50 that's good for both of us.

I'm surprised more workplaces don't have free snacks.

E:clarity

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 10, 2014

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Greek yoghurt.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Intermittent fasting.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have a liter of water in a coleman jug I chug throughout the day.

I bring a lot of fruit to work, and carrot sticks (but more often just a whole carrot I snapped in half and threw in my lunchbox, for I am lazy).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I stopped by Pets at Home one time and picked up a salt lick. It kind of weirds clients out, but at least I'm getting my daily supply of essential minerals so gently caress 'em.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What? A salt lick!

Everyone go buy a salt lick.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

What? A salt lick!

Everyone go buy a salt lick.

I am literally a horse so I must do this.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Beef Jerky! I have 4 lbs of it in my desk drawer right now!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Sardines! 100% sardines. Frugal healthy and delicious.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Veskit posted:

Sardines! 100% sardines. Frugal healthy and delicious.

drat, I gonna suggest sardines after reading that GBS thread! But while they are healthy, delicious and cheap; your colleagues will hate you for causing that fishy smell.

I second greek yogurt though. Love that poo poo.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Ate chili for lunch today, woop woop!

DENTISTS: what do you have to do to get a decent dental plan? I recently got kicked out of my old dentist's office because I'm on an HMO plan. I liked my old dentist. My new dentist was a jerk, didn't even do a cleaning at my checkup, and told me to switch to a PPO before he does a crown that he says I need - he says the old dentist hosed up my crown but that the HMO won't cover it because of all their exclusions and whatnot.

Which I can't do, because every Blue Shield PPO plan has a year's wait before covering a major thing like a crown.

I'm probably going to need a bunch of dental work in the future, as I have always had weak enamel that no amount of brushing and flossing seem to fix. What do you guys do for a dental plan? Here are the plans available to me: https://www.blueshieldca.com/bsca/documents/find-a-plan/dental-plans/A37470_1-14.pdf

but I'm also looking at alternatives like Aflac and the like. I just hate this poo poo and want to be done with it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Sardines sound really really good, I probably could keep them in my office since I'm far away from everyone else.

The last time I had sardines I bought a can that had some kind of mustard sauce that turned me off from them for awhile, I'd rather just eat them plain without oil/sauce if I can find that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Morning goooooonz. I'm taking a 8 dollar taxi ride to the metro stop each morning. I really ought to wake up half hour earlier and catch the 75 cents mini bus instead. Ugh that's like more than 1000% in expenses in a day and god knows how much more every month.

But I just want to be a gooooooony gooooon goon and play video games, and stay up late.

Heck I can even wake up an hour earlier and do some light jogging. But that means going to bed at 11pm, eeeewww.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

tuyop posted:

I'm surprised, she seemed so on top of it in you thread. I knew you were doing the YNAB'ing, but I'm still surprised.

caberham posted:

Water. Just chug a whole water bottle of it to keep your appetite full. Jews and Muslims can fast for more than a day, so a little hunger pang won't hurt the average office worker.
From most of my office coworkers, it would benefit them instead of hurt them! I do nuts and fresh fruit myself, but I need to gain weight.

drat Bananas posted:

I like to buy a massive bag of those "cuties" (tiny oranges) and keep them at work. I used to keep nuts in my drawer but after a while I couldn't stand the dryness - I wanted something squishy. It's a weird craving to have/explain, but hey, I found a semi-healthy outlet for it.
I totally relate, I alternate from almonds to oranges usually!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm headed back to grad school this fall after 5 years of working and decided to quit early so I'd have the next half a year to backpack and travel.

I'm on a $6000 a month budget for the next 2 years and i've been living comfortably within it but it's painful to be drawing down on my savings rather than adding to it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

shrike82 posted:

I'm headed back to grad school this fall after 5 years of working and decided to quit early so I'd have the next half a year to backpack and travel.

I'm on a $6000 a month budget for the next 2 years and i've been living comfortably within it but it's painful to be drawing down on my savings rather than adding to it...

6000 a month budget, like, including savings? Or is that 6000 dollars a month in poo poo you spend money on?