Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Someone tell Nicholas Winding Refn to make that movie with Ryan Gosling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Yesss...more weeks like this please. I love reading about weird obscure movies because half of the time they're the only ones I have access to. Also, uh, the reviews are totally funny and awesome.

I wonder what took Cheap Thrills so long to become available. I saw it last summer and it wasn't even playing in competition.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I would totally see Under the Skin if it were showing in my tiny town. I don't like going to the movies very much, but that sounds fascinating. I love it when you guys review obscure stuff like this, even if it means I can't watch it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So having just seen Captain America, the political message of the film, as basically spoken directly to the camera by ScarJo at the end, is "Wiretapping and drones are bad, but they do really important jobs, so instead of trying to have civilian oversight prosecute them, we should just let those organizations do their work and trust that they'll sort themselves out on their own."

So between this, Avengers, and anything to do with Iron Man, is there any Marvel movie that's not just a right-wing wank fest?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

That seems more like an American culture thing than something specific to the Marvel movies. I had pretty much the exact same reading from Zero Dark Thirty and I still have trouble seeing how that movie is supposed to be anti-torture in anything but the most superfluous way.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty, but isn't the whole controversy that it's *not* even superficially supposed to be anti-torture, because they willingly and uncritically went along with the propaganda their CIA 'advisors' were telling them?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Zero Dark Thirty is about the moral compromises made to find Bin Laden. In the end, even if torture helped find him, even if the dozens of dead CIA agents and years of war, death, and pain functioned to get us to that point, did that really give us closure? And what does doing all these awful things in pursuit of one man on kidney dialysis and shooting him in the head demonstrate about ourselves? When you hurt America, America will hurt you back-- even if all the things we do in service of it are far more damaging and painful than the initial hurt. Whether the information gathered from the torture is effective or not is immaterial-- it's about how culpable we are in that process.

The only way you can say that the film blindly endorses torture is if you also read the film as a victory lap about how awesome America is. But, hey, if you have blinders that big on, congrats on your rich fantasy life, have a good day in Narnia or whatever.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Capone posted:

So having just seen Captain America, the political message of the film, as basically spoken directly to the camera by ScarJo at the end, is "Wiretapping and drones are bad, but they do really important jobs, so instead of trying to have civilian oversight prosecute them, we should just let those organizations do their work and trust that they'll sort themselves out on their own."

So between this, Avengers, and anything to do with Iron Man, is there any Marvel movie that's not just a right-wing wank fest?

That end monologue was so muddled I just ignored it, since the entire movie til then was anti-assassination and anti-drone. The Cap thinks we should blow up our whole spy/tech network and actually wait for people do commit a crime before we judge them.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Sheldrake posted:

The only way you can say that the film blindly endorses torture is if you also read the film as a victory lap about how awesome America is. But, hey, if you have blinders that big on, congrats on your rich fantasy life, have a good day in Narnia or whatever.

I take it you weren't in the United States when they announced bin Laden's death. That's really important context (as was the framing of 9/11 at the movie's start), and it's really not reasonable to interpret the movie like these are abstract events. This isn't Moby Dick. Zero Dark Thirty is about current events and rhetoric that shaped the entire political landscape of the previous ten years. Everybody who watched that movie brought a lot of a baggage into it, for better or worse. And given that we've since grown into a society that tolerates drone assassinations, I'm inclined to think it was for the worse.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 9, 2014

TheBigC
Jan 22, 2007
Triple movie of the week winners! Oh man!

They're all 20/50? Oh crap.

Also I've heard a few people talk about the "unborn children go to heaven" part of Heaven is for Real being a major flaw in cosmology that book/movie puts forth. Basically in this world view heaven is full of unborn children with zero experience of the world, because of the number of fertilized eggs that are "miscarried" before women even know they're pregnant. In general I guess it's better than the Dante view, where unborn children occupy the outer ring of hell, but still it's weird.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

So what you're saying is I'd better watch my step in Heaven or I'll wind up on the next bus to Hell?

EDIT: Also, let me step forward and be the first to reduce my film's score to 19/50. It's probably marginally more enjoyable than Heaven Is for Real in some ways but infinitely uglier in others.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Keanu Grieves posted:

So what you're saying is I'd better watch my step in Heaven or I'll wind up on the next bus to Hell?

EDIT: Also, let me step forward and be the first to reduce my film's score to 19/50. It's probably marginally more enjoyable than Heaven Is for Real in some ways but infinitely uglier in others.

Nah, let's rock the 20/20/20 this week. It's fun.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Should have reviewed another movie and gave it 20 this week. Then we have 4 20s.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The MSJ posted:

Should have reviewed another movie and gave it 20 this week. Then we have 4 20s.

FUUUUUUCCCCCKKKK.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Truly, we are masterminds of internet comedy.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

The MSJ posted:

As a person, Ian is a solid 20/50.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The worst part is that we had a fourth review and I convinced Ian to wait on it for the American release date. And from the sounds of it, he may have made it a 20.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Draft Day is a solid 20/50, and no one reviewed that one last week.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Vargo posted:

The worst part is that we had a fourth review and I convinced Ian to wait on it for the American release date. And from the sounds of it, he may have made it a 20.

Nah, it's better than that.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Quick, Marty: Run out and review God's Not Dead.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Keanu Grieves posted:

Quick, Marty: Run out and review God's Not Dead.

People have been asking me to do exactly that. If it was on VOD, I would.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

If you can't see it how are people watching it? Pat Robertson said it made over forty million dollars this morning. That's probably not the most reliable citation.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It's currently just over $48 million

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Some Guy TT posted:

If you can't see it how are people watching it? Pat Robertson said it made over forty million dollars this morning. That's probably not the most reliable citation.

No, the reason I can't see it is because it came out about five weeks ago and is no longer in any theaters near me, it was in theaters and making money afew weeks ago.

I don't think evangelical films will ever embrace the VOD model, because so much of their money comes from churches going in groups or renting out entire theaters.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

They take it out of theaters just when nonbelievers start hearing about it, and aren't putting up any VOD options either? I don't think they're doing evangelism correctly.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Some Guy TT posted:

They take it out of theaters just when nonbelievers start hearing about it, and aren't putting up any VOD options either? I don't think they're doing evangelism correctly.

Because the films aren't meant to evangelize as much as criticize the secular world (and pretend they are persecuted for their faith)

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
God's Not Dead is still playing all over the place down here in the South, but we all saw what happened the last time I tried that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

God's Not Dead is still playing all over the place down here in the South, but we all saw what happened the last time I tried that.

When you put it like that, you NEED to go.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Because the films aren't meant to evangelize as much as criticize the secular world (and pretend they are persecuted for their faith)

Exactly. I've been saying forever that the worst part about Christian cinema is that they clearly don't give a poo poo about appealing to anyone outside of their belief system, which to me defeats the whole purpose. All they're doing is making movies for their own community so they can pat themselves on the back for making the right choice of diety. It's so smug and self-assured that it makes all the films seem so insincere, and this is a genre which NEEDS sincerity. Tim Burton and Kevin Smith make lazy movies for specific groups too, but at least they don't claim to be doing the work of the Lord while doing it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I suppose it just reinforces your point but I haven't seen any of these movies even try to get distributed in France. Is that the case in other countries, or is it really a wholly domestic market?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Vargo posted:

Exactly. I've been saying forever that the worst part about Christian cinema is that they clearly don't give a poo poo about appealing to anyone outside of their belief system, which to me defeats the whole purpose. All they're doing is making movies for their own community so they can pat themselves on the back for making the right choice of diety. It's so smug and self-assured that it makes all the films seem so insincere, and this is a genre which NEEDS sincerity. Tim Burton and Kevin Smith make lazy movies for specific groups too, but at least they don't claim to be doing the work of the Lord while doing it.

It's a microcosm of modern Christianity as a whole. Most Christians would rather stayed holed up in their churches, because the secular world is "scary".

I grew up in a Christian household, went to church every sunday, and happily went to youth group, all that jazz. My church was, at the time (I can't speak for it now, having not been in almost 10 years), fairly laid back. Outreach was our whole goal. Do good deeds, reach out to the public to see what needed doing, be it food shelters, clothing drives, you name it, we did it. On the flipside, I was also attending a Christian school run by a much different kind of church. this is one of those chruches that now has an "auditorium" instead of a sanctuary. Hundreds and hundreds of people go to church there. Nothing is more sacred to them then worship music and prayer. Cut to a spring evening, my actual church is putting on a concert at the local high school to reach out to the community. The music was a national hip hop group that were Christians, but that only worked it's way into their lyrics in the form of them not swearing or talking about sex. They didn't rap about god loving you or anything. The church I went to school at brought their youth group, pretended as if they had been asked to be their to watch over my actual church, and tried to stop people who were dancing and having a good time. They left early. I found out they had gone back to the church, disgusted at the sinful nature of the world and how my actual church was doing nothing to stop it, and decided the best thing to do was not reach out and talk to these people, but to retreat to their sanctuary, and play lovely contemporary worship songs that made them feel pious.

So that these films are made like this never ever surprises me. It's just a way of going "They never make movies for us, so we have to make them." but quality is never something that comes into the equation.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I suppose it just reinforces your point but I haven't seen any of these movies even try to get distributed in France. Is that the case in other countries, or is it really a wholly domestic market?

I think the type of Christianity present in these films is very linked to also being a right wing American, so I don't think they would play well over seas, nor would they even be remotely interested in that market.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

axleblaze posted:

I think the type of Christianity present in these films is very linked to also being a right wing American, so I don't think they would play well over seas, nor would they even be remotely interested in that market.

THEY'RE CALLED FREEDOM FRIES, DAG-NABBIT!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is anybody going to review The Other Woman? I hear that movie is quite bad.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The trailers kind of review it for you. "Here's a movie supposedly about and for women that looks as if no one who worked on it has ever been or known a woman."

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Every review I've read for it talks about a scene where a dog takes a CGI dump on someone's carpet.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

Every review I've read for it talks about a scene where a dog takes a CGI dump on someone's carpet.
I also read that there's a laxative scene that goes on way too long and an "lol he slept with an icky trans lady" joke. A real winner.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I honestly have no idea when/if we'll get around to that one, we're a little backlogged right now. Last week's was pretty hastily tossed together and this week we're doing something special, so we might just say "screw it" to everything released pre-Spider-man.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Jay Dub posted:

So literal dog poo poo is more expensive than CGI these days. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Some Guy TT posted:

So literal dog poo poo is more expensive than CGI these days. Interesting.

Cleaning or replacing the carpet is.

• Locked thread