Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Phil gets crap for his gaming ability because he does talk up how he's a "true gamer", won a Street Fighter tournament, and blames games for problems with his play. That said, I saw some of his 3rd Strike videos and he actually seemed pretty good to me.

PDP focuses on stuff like Happy Wheels and Surgery Simulator. You don't watch Pewdiepie for the gaming, you watch for the personality and then get a Cochlear implant afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

People also give DSP crap for telling them they have mental issues whenever they say things that he doesn't like. For example, here, he oh-so-eloquently tells people that they have mental issues because they don't have the time or attention span to sit down and listen to a 20 minute schedule for the week, or here, where he condescends to his viewers and calls them prehistoric idiots for wanting to watch The Walking Dead live instead of DVRing it and just watching his livestream.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
To be fair, most of the his watchers probably are mental.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

slowbeef posted:

Phil gets crap for his gaming ability because he does talk up how he's a "true gamer", won a Street Fighter tournament, and blames games for problems with his play. That said, I saw some of his 3rd Strike videos and he actually seemed pretty good to me.

Actually, there's a video I watched a little while back comparing DSP and his playstyle in Street Fighter to Justin Wong; a man Phil hates down to his very soul. Phil spams fireballs and constantly drops supers while jump kicking towards his opponent like someone trying to play Divekick with a Street Fighter skin. Wong was dropping combos and worked to get himself into corners and then throwing his opponent into them, or backing the other guy up. He also blocked and jumped over projectiles instead of tanking them like Phil.

Watching Phil in a fighting game is sort of an exercise in frustration because he talks about being a former fighting game champion and then does the poo poo you'd expect from your little brother playing SFII. Wong plays really defensively and smart, and he's far more interesting to watch because he actually knows what he's doing where Phil is just trying the same strategy over and over.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I'd point out in futility that his entire livelihood is dependent on those prehistoric idiot, but it's even more ridiculous. Without his fans, he literally wouldn't have any awareness for anything beyond himself, to say nothing good about the awareness he does have. He repeatedly says that he doesn't watch anyone else's content anywhere, mostly because his entire day goes towards putting out more content than anyone could conceivably watch ever; if he didn't have fans telling him about things like hate montages or parody videos, he would never know about them.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

forbidden lesbian posted:

To be fair, most of the his watchers probably are mental.

Yeah there was a KWO video recently that showed a fan of his going crazy and reporting every person on twitter who disliked Phil and doxxed a person.

And now KWO's channel is gone?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
So apparently there's something weird going on. KWO channel got hacked and all videos/account were deleted.

I got a password reset e-mail from the DSP forums. Told DarkSydePhil about it, and he said he got one too. So, someone's trying to hack DSP's stuff as well?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Unbalanced internet mechanics.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCQHtQL8X0&list=UULGYDvut8xexcpMGQMwjt0w

This is one of his more bearable videos. At around 19 minutes he talks about forking testicles. I feel bad for Skelux. I'd want someone bearable to do a let's play of my game. I can understand why companies would crack down if this is what was promoting me.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day Seven

Continuing on with the Dragon Age playthrough, I got up to a part in which Phil recruited two new party members, and put them into his active group, but didn't give them any equipment. When he got into a battle soon after, his allies were quickly and predictably slaughtered. Instead of realizing what he'd done and reloading, Phil did the next best thing; Running throughout the town while being chased for over 10 minutes, while his allies auto-revived and got killed over and over again until the fight was somehow won.

After struggling to procure enough injury kits for his wounded allies (it's the game's fault for having limited merchant supplies), Phil did some other things, but it was really hard to concentrate on anything after that. I felt very mentally worn out. I finished video #30, and I decided that, with my first week behind me, I'm taking today off to consider where I want to go from here.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
So apparently, a rabid DarkSydePhil fan "hacked" the Kojima World Order account that hosts a bunch of those "This is how you DON'T play", etc. videos, deleted them, and closed down the account. Drama is ensuing and everyone is blaming a "hacker" for it, even though I think it's just some lunatic who guessed a password. Prime suspect is a 29 year old brony.

Forget the brony thing - Phil has fans that old???

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

slowbeef posted:

So apparently, a rabid DarkSydePhil fan "hacked" the Kojima World Order account that hosts a bunch of those "This is how you DON'T play", etc. videos, deleted them, and closed down the account. Drama is ensuing and everyone is blaming a "hacker" for it, even though I think it's just some lunatic who guessed a password. Prime suspect is a 29 year old brony.

I find it baffling that out of his fanbase, there was one man with enough fervor and competence to pull off something like this.

In that vein, I'm surprised "We didn't manage to avoid drowning!" didn't get taken down either.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

slowbeef posted:

Well, you at least need to be old enough to drink to make it through his videos. You know, if you're sane.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

slowbeef posted:

You're confusing physical age with mental age here. Someone who is a brony definitely has a mental age that fits DSPs demographic.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Highwang posted:

I find it baffling that out of his fanbase, there was one man with enough fervor and competence to pull off something like this.

In that vein, I'm surprised "We didn't manage to avoid drowning!" didn't get taken down either.

Well thank god there is more than one account that hosts these "This is how you DON'T Play" videos.

Would truly be a shame if this video was deleted before I could use it at the end of each chapater update of LoS to show how a true master plays the game.

Seriously, the part with him in the "Dead Bog" at the start of that video. This game is handholdy as gently caress, and he STILL CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT.

Then of course, probably the most hilarious thing I've seen DSP related, is that during the second titan fight (12:35 approx.), an NPC, that generally offeres subtle hints about how to beat this thing, starts popping off with lines I've never heard before, and starts borderline bitching at him. (approx. 16:30)

Mr. DSP Experiment Guy, you want a challenge, I suggest you try and watch his LoS series. Just 30 minutes of the edited video I posted above was more than I could stand, maybe you can fare better!

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

slowbeef posted:

If I had to drop a guess on the whole thing: Script kiddie. Most likely the work of a script kiddie.

As a minor, more out-of-left-field guess... maybe the guy managed to take advantage of the recent OpenSSL bug? That is implying that KWO going down didn't happen well before that news came to light.

SnakemanMn fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 9, 2014

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

BMS posted:

Well thank god there is more than one account that hosts these "This is how you DON'T Play" videos.

Would truly be a shame if this video was deleted before I could use it at the end of each chapater update of LoS to show how a true master plays the game.

Seriously, the part with him in the "Dead Bog" at the start of that video. This game is handholdy as gently caress, and he STILL CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT.

Then of course, probably the most hilarious thing I've seen DSP related, is that during the second titan fight (12:35 approx.), an NPC, that generally offeres subtle hints about how to beat this thing, starts popping off with lines I've never heard before, and starts borderline bitching at him. (approx. 16:30)

Mr. DSP Experiment Guy, you want a challenge, I suggest you try and watch his LoS series. Just 30 minutes of the edited video I posted above was more than I could stand, maybe you can fare better!

I've watched that whole video, you should finish it because he for some reason he can't work out how to punch the floor to do a switch so he rages and it sounds like he breaks his pad. All he had to do was look in his list of moves. I don't think I could watch the entire series he uploaded.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

BMS posted:

Motherfuck- Who belches like that ON CAMERA and doesn't edit it out? Does he not have any social graces? Moreover, how is that dude watching DSP trying to find positives not completely deterred by this?

SnakemanMn posted:

If I had to drop a guess on the whole thing: Script kiddie. Most likely the work of a script kiddie.

As a minor, more out-of-left-field guess... maybe the guy managed to take advantage of the recent OpenSSL bug? That is implying that KWO going down didn't happen well before that news came to light.

Yeah that's probably the actual case at hand. Still, fans are scary.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Highwang posted:

Motherfuck- Who belches like that ON CAMERA and doesn't edit it out? Does he not have any social graces? Moreover, how is that dude watching DSP trying to find positives not completely deterred by this?
I really don't get that - sneezing etc. can happen when live, but there's no excuse to not just silence those seconds of audio when preparing your video for upload.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

Angrymog posted:

I really don't get that - sneezing etc. can happen when live, but there's no excuse to not just silence those seconds of audio when preparing your video for upload.

I don't think he bothers with any sort of editing. I think it's a straight up split of the video and upload. I think Slowbeef or someone else mentioned he has a video which is like a second long or something, sounds like some script or something to autoupload.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
People have mentioned multiple times in this thread that Phil doesn't edit his videos, he has an automated setup that records his video footage, chops it into pieces of predetermined length (which can make for some pretty insane cutoffs, I'm given to understand), and automatically posts them to his youtube channel. Phil's actual involvement beyond "playing" the game is minimal, so every unprofessional-rear end thing he does makes it to video, and evidently his fans eat it up.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The only time he does his very minimal editing is when something NWS comes up and he needs to censor it to avoid content strikes.

So, you know, put in effort when you're at-risk of losing money, not before.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
He literally insults his fans, do you think he honestly gives enough of a poo poo them to edit out his biological functions?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

The only time he does his very minimal editing is when something NWS comes up and he needs to censor it to avoid content strikes.

So, you know, put in effort when you're at-risk of losing money, not before.

Even then, there was one time where he was browsing through his computer in a video and he failed to notice that a folder he went into had a video where the thumbnail was his topless girlfriend.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I mentioned DSP to my brother-in-law and he asked me, "If you've put 23,000 videos on YouTube and you're playing games all day, every day, would it not stand to reason that you'd get better at them? Isn't it 10,000 hours that you become an expert at something?"

"A virtuoso?"

"Yeah, that."

"Don't quite think that applies here."

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I think that would require 10,000 hours of effort.

But since this is DSP :effort:

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm sure he's streamlined and mastered the process of camcordering his TV and uploading the videos

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Roar posted:

He literally insults his fans, do you think he honestly gives enough of a poo poo them to edit out his biological functions?

It's amazing that he doesn't understand why he's bleeding viewers. Most people would get that the constant whining, lack of professionalism and low effort on display wouldn't lend itself to growing the audience. Phil believes people are leaving not because of anything he's doing, but because people on the internet aren't being nice to "the king of hate." It's impossible for him to be self critical, to look at his work and wonder if it could be better. Because of that he has to blame outside forces for all his problems.

There's a vlog he did that he basically explained that he wanted to move, but couldn't get the funds together because CT income tax is too high (he specifically calls out the state of Connecticut, which actually has a relatively sane low and middle income tax rate), but in addition to that he wants to get back surgery, but because his place is too small he can't do it because he'll need someone to be there to take care of him 24/7 for several weeks (again, a lame excuse unless he has a 200 square foot hobbit hole for an apartment). He can't get a job because he can't have the surgery so he has to play games all day and if you use adblock he won't make money. Also, none of the jobs he is qualified for would pay him "enough."

I sometimes wonder if Phil understands just how sad his life seems when he tells these sob stories. He's trying to gain sympathy from the viewers, but it comes off as some guy trying to explain why he doesn't have to change because everything around him should adjust to his idea of fairness.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
But the thing is he doesn't get better because he just does one playthrough and moves onto the next game. I'm sure by the end of Dark Souls, he wasn't that bad at it, but if the next game was (say) Bayonetta, well, he's not gonna get good at that because he's just firing through each one one at a time. Being good at Street Fighter doesn't mean I'm good at Gradius or vice versa.

And again, this is forgivable if not for the foot-in-mouth part where he talks up his skillset. It's silly. He's an entertainer, and he should probably own that part of it, instead of the "True Gamer" nonsense.

SnakemanMn posted:

I was thinking that. Apparently the KWO YouTube and Twitter got hacked, so I think it's down to "I found one password, and it's the same across the board." There's one guy on his board everyone's blaming because while the hardcore DSP fans are like: "I hate the KWO/DSP-haters and I'd like to punch them in the face... ...but they shouldn't have been hacked" this one guy is like "no they're bullies, no mercy, they deserve everything."

I wonder if it's a side-effect of Phil complaining about that stuff all the time. Like he inadvertently created a demon to his fandom.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
You know, the funny thing is, no one would probably worry about his skills in gaming if he would stop blaming the games for all of his mistakes.

Instead of taking the time to learn mechanics or dare think that he, the almighty DSP, could ever make a mistake, he just insults the game, it's developers, and ignores all responsibility.

I still don't know what MGS did to him to make him hate Hideo Kojima so much. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RSCNyx posted:

I still don't know what MGS did to him to make him hate Hideo Kojima so much. I'm not sure what to make of it.

MGS doesn't have a function where it plays itself for you and makes it look like you're still in control.

DSP refuses to read anything, even game critical text displayed on the screen forcefully. He just keeps forcing his way through the game and all his frustrations get directed at whoever published and/or produced.

That above video has, at around 1:19:00, a segment where DSP needs to go get a new controller. He blames Sony for letting them publish a super hard game like Castlevania that made him rage and break his controller. You actually hear what sounds like him chucking it into a plastic bag, most likely the trash.

The man has a skewed view on life and the only people/person I feel bad for are social workers who have to work with individuals like him.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

slowbeef posted:

this one guy is like "no they're bullies, no mercy, they deserve everything."

To be fair, this is a pretty common sentiment with internet vigilante/script kiddie-types.

Only thing that makes this case notable from SA LP's point of view, is that it happened to someone DSP related.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

slowbeef posted:

I wonder if it's a side-effect of Phil complaining about that stuff all the time. Like he inadvertently created a demon to his fandom.

Eh, any decently-sized fandom ends up having a couple lunatics. I mean, didn't you have trouble a couple years back with retsupurae fans thinking you talking over certain dudes means you consider them acceptable targets or whatever? I don't know DSP's reaction to this, but he could be preaching love and acceptance and it probably still would've happened.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That above video has, at around 1:19:00, a segment where DSP needs to go get a new controller. He blames Sony for letting them publish a super hard game like Castlevania that made him rage and break his controller. You actually hear what sounds like him chucking it into a plastic bag, most likely the trash.

The man has a skewed view on life and the only people/person I feel bad for are social workers who have to work with individuals like him.

:staredog:

I thought you were joking, but loving hell man.

Relinking it here at the moment in question.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

He's an entertainer, and he should probably own that part of it, instead of the "True Gamer" nonsense.

Actually, based on everything I know of people who unironically call themselves gamers, he fits the bill perfectly.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

a cartoon duck posted:

Eh, any decently-sized fandom ends up having a couple lunatics. I mean, didn't you have trouble a couple years back with retsupurae fans thinking you talking over certain dudes means you consider them acceptable targets or whatever? I don't know DSP's reaction to this, but he could be preaching love and acceptance and it probably still would've happened.

That's a fair point, you're right.

I do think coming out and saying "don't do X" goes a long way, though. As an example, PewDiePie fans did this obnoxious thing where they'd start telling other LPers "pewdie did it first" and basically spamming comments on people's channels if they dared touch Surgery Simulator or Happy Wheels. To his credit, PDP did tell them not to (indirectly, but still) and apparently that did die down.

ChaosArgate posted:

Hahaha, wow.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Dr. Buttass posted:

People have mentioned multiple times in this thread that Phil doesn't edit his videos, he has an automated setup that records his video footage, chops it into pieces of predetermined length (which can make for some pretty insane cutoffs, I'm given to understand), and automatically posts them to his youtube channel. Phil's actual involvement beyond "playing" the game is minimal, so every unprofessional-rear end thing he does makes it to video, and evidently his fans eat it up.

So far, I've only looked through the videos that he's done while also streaming, but those videos are not edited at pre-determined lengths. The runtime for each video varies wildly, with him making conscious choices where to cut off each one and start the next.

Those conscious choices do not always make for the most ideal cutting points. It appears Phil doesn't take any sort of timing into account during his streams, so it's like forcing ad breaks into a movie being aired on television. I do not know if this was any different when he was just recording videos by himself and not simultaneously streaming for an audience.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

"I fuckin' smash it on the table once, and the thing don't work"
DarkSydePhil: Unaware that most technology is averse to being slammed on a table in a fit of rage.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Did Phil ever play Resident Evil 6? And if someone dared watch it, did he do it with Agent Hunt mode on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

ChaosArgate posted:

That's still baffling to me. "Nothing to do but walk through it." Why not go on the path that has no poisonous fog? But no, flaw of the game designers, not his fault.

I wonder if those huge LoS prompts show up in his everyday life.

EDIT: Oh, it started at 2:16 for me, then jumped later on. I don't wanna watch too far ahead and spoil myself on important things, but that certainly sounds like something he would do.

• Locked thread