Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I doubt it's a marketing strategy so much as it's a compromise they made to make sure the Wii U version is out this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Wii U version got delayed because they found a game-crashing bug

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

So with the 3ds version, what button's going to relate to the z-button on the gamecube version? Just have the right trigger be for blocking and dodging and the left trigger for grabbing/grappling?

Since you don't really need two jump buttons, one of them could be set to grab instead.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Countblanc posted:

The Wii U version got delayed because they found a game-crashing bug

Luckily on the 3ds version the excess pressure is automatically vented out of the speakers.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space T Rex posted:

I was just rewatching some bits, and the Kirby Air Ride...power up...Battle Royale...thing is described specifically as a "4 Player Battle Game". If all game types online were always 4 player, that would be redundant right? Its making me more optimistic at least.

The Ridley tease is a pretty big troll, ZSS was stupid trolly, Waluigi was just Sakurai being an rear end in a top hat, but this poo poo right here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calihan posted:

I cannot imagine this new plan is making them much in the way of actual money so far.

Well, they have been posting losses for some time now so there's that...

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Kirby Air Ride 2 with more emphasis on City Trial has been one of my dream games for a long time. I'll GLADLY take Smash Run as a consolation. Easily the best and biggest surprise out of the direct for me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This is my favourite picture so far:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I enjoy that Megaman's final smash is a cutscene that momentarily hijacks the match, like Captain Falcon's did in Brawl.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Oh my god it was right there the entire time.

1 on 1 battles possible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I enjoy that Megaman's final smash is a cutscene that momentarily hijacks the match, like Captain Falcon's did in Brawl.

This one's at least probably more useful. The Blue Falcon was loving awful, but I imagine this one will at least have range.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I actually lol'ed at For Glory mode being no items Final Destination only, although I love that almost every stage has a Final Destination mode. I'm excited for Charizard since he was my favorite Pokemon Trainer guy and Greninja was the coolest X/Y Pokemon so no problems there, although makes me wonder about Jigglypuff's ultimate fate. This game looks incredible though and I can't believe we're getting a chance to play it this summer even if that means August (which it does).

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
God the screenshots from this game are looking awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ROzkFvKLt8

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

net cafe scandal posted:

Did I miss these? Where are they from?

Joe Merrick's Twitter account (the Serebii guy)

https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I wouldn't be too worried about Jigglypuff. There are five main Mario reps right now, and Pokemon has always matched them in that regard

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ice Climber Bear spotted:

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I just remembered something a lot of people have overlooked: the single red Pikmin alongside all the other projectiles in the Charizard trailer that sails through the air majestically before unceremoniously and ineffectively tumbling into the dirt. It cracks me up every time.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Frocobo posted:

I just remembered something a lot of people have overlooked: the single red Pikmin alongside all the other projectiles in the Charizard trailer that sails through the air majestically before unceremoniously and ineffectively tumbling into the dirt. It cracks me up every time.

Pikmin are my favourite Smash Bros. joke. Every time there's a cutscene with Olimar something amazing happens.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Galaga ships are items

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kurtofan posted:

Ice Climber Bear spotted:

And those assholes from that one stage in Mario 3.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just saw the direct on Youtube. No complaints here on the whole deal; it really seems like Sakurai has gone from the attitude he had going into Brawl (That Tournament Fighters were an unfortunate after effect of the game engine and should be quashed with Tripping et all) and has matured somewhat to allow for both styles whilst focusing on the Party Fighter he has always made.

That and I just about had an Arianism out of sheer excitement after that last announcement trailer.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 9, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bpc908 posted:

Galaga ships are items

Ugh they really are going to make Pacman a playable fighter aren't they.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ugh they really are going to make Pacman a playable fighter aren't they.

Wouldn't this have been the best time to announce that? It'd be bigger news than Greninja, and one version of the game is only a few months away.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Wouldn't this have been the best time to announce that? It'd be bigger news than Greninja, and one version of the game is only a few months away.
E3 would be the best time to announce it, which is June 1-3.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

E3 would certainly be the best time for it. If we're gonna hear about any remaining 3rd party guys it'll be at E3.

You have no idea how much the appearance of Ice Climbers Polar Bear eases my weary heart. The Ice Climbers are safe. :unsmith:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bpc908 posted:

Galaga ships are items

Are we sure those aren't Assist Trophies?

Supercar Gautier posted:

E3 is probably going to have less general information revealed for the game, I'm guessing they're saving the big announcements for there.

I don't mind, since Greninja was a bigger surprise than Pac-Man.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
About the delay; Honestly I'm fine with it, with MK8 convincing me now's the time to switch to Wii U, I Could deal with it being October before I got Smash Bros HD.

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011
It seems like a decent amount of people are questioning the decision to release the 3DS version first as it will supposedly cannibalize the Wii U sales. Though it wasn't emphasized in this Direct, I think the whole point is to tap into the large 3DS install base and capitalize on the 3DS-Wii U connectivity features and really push them. With any luck this would provide incentive for these users to get the system to access these features and boost sales for Christmas.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
So assuming the leak is accurate (it has yet to be wrong), the next reveals we'll see before summer will be

-Palutena (Sakurai pretty much gave this one away)
-Shulk
-Pac-Man (Makes perfect sense as Namco's representative)
-Mii
-Chrom

And something about Rhythm Heaven.

e: Oh man, people over on /v/ getting really mad about Samus' retconned height and neon heels. Hahahaha

Excels fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 9, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Kurtofan posted:

Pretty sure they are, unless Nintendo has embraced the PASBR stage creation gimmick of having Namco enemies invade Dr. Wily's castle for... some reason.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

On rewatching, I noticed Samus run off the edge on he right an come back on the left - like in Balloon Fighter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Excels posted:

So assuming the leak is accurate (it has yet to be wrong), the next reveals we'll see before summer will be

-Palutena (Sakurai pretty much gave this one away)
-Shulk
-Pac-Man (Makes perfect sense as Namco's representative)
-Mii
-Chrom

And something about Rhythm Heaven.

Greninja threw a wrench into any 'leaks', really. He's striking and iconic enough that he would've come up in real leaks, yet so specifically unexpected that nobody actually would have said it.

'A Pokemon from X and Y' was a guess a child could have made, but specifically deciding on Greninja? Not so easy.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

They're in the items folder of the press kit, not the assist trophy one. Could be a mistake though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Well as soon as it gets something wrong I'll stop believin' it. But I am morbidly curious what Pac-Man would look and play like, with Namco being hands-on designing his moveset.

Excels fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 9, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Excels posted:

e: Oh man, people over on /v/ getting really mad about Samus' retconned height and neon heels. Hahahaha

It ain't just /v/, I tell ya wot.
There's a lot of arguments for and against it over on Tumblr, on GameFAQs, on NeoGaf, and I'm sure there'll be a fight in this very thread soon enough.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Palutena seems like a given at this point, like there's no way she's not in. And I am okay with that.

I think we're looking at something like 42-45 characters. Even if the leak isn't true 6 or 7 more characters seems pretty reasonable.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I choose to believe Sakurai had to compromise for not getting Bayonetta into the game and that's why they turned Other M Samus into a neon stripper.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sakurai changed the heels because they're a symbol for everything that was stupid in Other M, but he left them in so that his colleague who directed Other M could save face for being responsible for something so stupid.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Greninja threw a wrench into any 'leaks', really. He's striking and iconic enough that he would've come up in real leaks, yet so specifically unexpected that nobody actually would have said it.

'A Pokemon from X and Y' was a guess a child could have made, but specifically deciding on Greninja? Not so easy.

It's culled a lot of "leaks" floating out there at least. There was practically none with Geninja, and pretty much all of them still have Zelda/Shiek, Pokemon Trainer or introduce a new character who changes. Right now the Gamasutra leak is the only one that hasn't been killed - even if 'A Pokemon from X and Y' is safe baby bullshit. Doesn't mean it's more real, but it's the only left to be debunked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Something seems mildly racist about this picture, can't quite put my finger on it.

• Locked thread