Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Midorka posted:

If you're going to upgrade them do it properly and buy an HD650.
Seconding this. HD 650's will change your life, and you can easily keep them for 10+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Seconding this. HD 650's will change your life, and you can easily keep them for 10+ years.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do people think of the 650 vs 600? I swear I read a pretty long review somewhere that liked the 600 better but I've never had a chance to try both out at the same time for myself.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

powderific posted:

What do people think of the 650 vs 600? I swear I read a pretty long review somewhere that liked the 600 better but I've never had a chance to try both out at the same time for myself.

They use the same drivers, the housings are just different. When looking at the graph you'll see that the HD650 has mildly boosted bass while the HD600 is slightly brighter.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
drat those HD650s better be mindblowing to cost as much as an Xbox One.

What about sites like this that sell em for almost 50% off? http://www.shoppingclick.com/Sennheiser_HD650_Headphone?gclid=CPXIvvye0b0CFewRMwodCGYAow

Is it a case of too good to be true? Am I going to get some shady knock-off?

And if I do buy them I sure as hell am going to need a good amp. Still looking for recommendations for a combined DAC amp for my desktop.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

notZaar posted:

What about sites like this that sell em for almost 50% off? http://www.shoppingclick.com/Sennheiser_HD650_Headphone?gclid=CPXIvvye0b0CFewRMwodCGYAow

And if I do buy them I sure as hell am going to need a good amp. Still looking for recommendations for a combined DAC AMP for my desktop.

Fishy as hell site. Never heard of it and the MSRP is wrong as is the retail price way lower than it should be.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The HD600/650 are great and all but there are a lot of other cheaper options that might get you the "less sterile" sound you're looking for. The Audio Technicas Midorka mentioned are like $200. I'd also suggest looking at some of the newer closed headphones like the NAD Viso HP50 and Focal Spirit Professional, both of which are around $300.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, I mean, no set of headphones is going to get you off or anything. It's easy to be enthusiastic about a purchase, but there is no "perfect" set of cans.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

notZaar posted:

And if I do buy them I sure as hell am going to need a good amp. Still looking for recommendations for a combined DAC amp for my desktop.

IMO, you'd be better off buying used at head-fi. I bought my HD580 that way 10 years ago and don't regret it at all.

Here's one.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/713640/hd650

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

WugLyfe posted:

Yeah, I mean, no set of headphones is going to get you off or anything. It's easy to be enthusiastic about a purchase, but there is no "perfect" set of cans.

I dunno, my ATH-AD2Kx's and Beta22 are pretty orgasmic. I agree with regard to perfection though.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went ahead and bought the Momentums after trying it on in the Apple Store on my way to work. I think they'll do just fine, and are a big step up from the Beats Pros that I got as a gift last year. I also sided toward it for the nice looks and design as well as the comfort on the ears. I have a decent ear for music, but again, I was using Beats Pros before so just about anything in the $300 price range was going to be a step up.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went ahead and bought the Momentums after trying it on in the Apple Store on my way to work. I think they'll do just fine, and are a big step up from the Beats Pros that I got as a gift last year. I also sided toward it for the nice looks and design as well as the comfort on the ears. I have a decent ear for music, but again, I was using Beats Pros before so just about anything in the $300 price range was going to be a step up.

Glad you have something you enjoy! Mazel Tov.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Midorka posted:

Fishy as hell site. Never heard of it and the MSRP is wrong as is the retail price way lower than it should be.

They have gone on sale for much cheaper than the typical price: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/106706/sennheiser.com---sennheiser-hd-650-headphones

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

WugLyfe posted:

This is very true. As much as I praise the poo poo out of the Ad2000, there are times I wish I had more bass or they sounded slightly different. Then when I listen to headphones with more bass I don't want it. It's the burden of the headphone world.

They used to be brand new on Amazon for $350 or so about 6-7 years ago also. The other difference is that sale was through Sennheiser, not a place no one knows.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hey guys, I am in need of some new IEMs for my daily commute. I have been using the stock IEMs that came with my Galaxy Nexus for the past two years or so, and they are on their last legs.
Budget About 100AUD. Super flexible budget, can be way higher if necessary.
Source My Galaxy Nexus. I have a Magni at home but these won't be ever used for anything other than my commute.
Isolation Requirements As much as possible really. Three hours daily on a loud bus, I'd love to be able to block that out without going deaf.
Preferred Type of Headphone IEMs. I wish I could use circumaural headphones but they are too large to be practical.
Preferred Tonal Balance No real preference. I don't like stuff lacking in bass.
Past Headphones AD900x that I use at home. I love the soundstaging and clarity, these are my main phones and I adore them. M50's that I got for use on the bus, but I don't take anymore due to their size etc. I love the bass on these compared to the 900x, and the isolation is fantastic. The closer and somewhat smeared soundstage is not great but I still love them for electronic music.
Preferred Music Pretty much everything, hence why I don't have a particular balance preference as I don't favour particular genres. Rock, alternative, electro, classical primarily.

Comfortable is also a plus as they'll be used for extended periods.

Thanks for your help :D

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That was a mistake from when an internal discount code got leaked. It was invalidated after less than 8 hours.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

Hey guys, I am in need of some new IEMs for my daily commute. I have been using the stock IEMs that came with my Galaxy Nexus for the past two years or so, and they are on their last legs.
Budget About 100AUD. Super flexible budget, can be way higher if necessary.
Source My Galaxy Nexus. I have a Magni at home but these won't be ever used for anything other than my commute.
Isolation Requirements As much as possible really. Three hours daily on a loud bus, I'd love to be able to block that out without going deaf.
Preferred Type of Headphone IEMs. I wish I could use circumaural headphones but they are too large to be practical.
Preferred Tonal Balance No real preference. I don't like stuff lacking in bass.
Past Headphones AD900x that I use at home. I love the soundstaging and clarity, these are my main phones and I adore them. M50's that I got for use on the bus, but I don't take anymore due to their size etc. I love the bass on these compared to the 900x, and the isolation is fantastic. The closer and somewhat smeared soundstage is not great but I still love them for electronic music.
Preferred Music Pretty much everything, hence why I don't have a particular balance preference as I don't favour particular genres. Rock, alternative, electro, classical primarily.

Comfortable is also a plus as they'll be used for extended periods.

Thanks for your help :D

I bought these Shure SE215 a couple months ago and have been happy with them. They can take some getting used to in how to best insert them but once you get it figured out they're great.

I listen mostly to various forms of rock and electronic stuff.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

That was a mistake from when an internal discount code got leaked. It was invalidated after less than 8 hours.

Thanks for the update. Was just making the point that they can be had for significantly cheaper if you are willing to wait for a decent sale.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What are some durable earbuds that aren't too expensive? I've had way too many cheap ones break down on me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The Monkey Man posted:

What are some durable earbuds that aren't too expensive? I've had way too many cheap ones break down on me.

Those RHA MA750is someone mentioned earlier look really durable. $129. They are currently in my short list of IEMs..

MA750i vs X7i vs a-jays 5 vs Shure se215

The x7is are kind of expensive on that list though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GoodCleanFun posted:

Thanks for the update. Was just making the point that they can be had for significantly cheaper if you are willing to wait for a decent sale.
I was shopping for HD 650's during the second half of last year, and the best deal I came across was about $400.

(I did manage to snag a pair while the leaked code was still good :dance: )

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Anyone have an opinion on the Philips Fidelio X1? I'm considering maybe getting some open-backed circumaurals (I own IEMs for isolation listening and on-stage monitoring) but I like plenty of bass and the highs rolled off.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't have an opinion myself as I've never heard them, but given the innerfidelity guy's review they might be perfect for you: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1-page-2

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Misc posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the Philips Fidelio X1? I'm considering maybe getting some open-backed circumaurals (I own IEMs for isolation listening and on-stage monitoring) but I like plenty of bass and the highs rolled off.

I've had the X1s for a few weeks now and I really love them. This was one of the reviews that sold me, but yeah these things are awesome for somehow combining a satisfying bass response with the enormous soundstage of an open-backed headphone. The stock cable is relatively high impedance and can sound slightly distorted as a result, but a replacement cable is like $7 on Amazon if you don't already have one lying around.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

priznat posted:

Those RHA MA750is someone mentioned earlier look really durable. $129. They are currently in my short list of IEMs..

MA750i vs X7i vs a-jays 5 vs Shure se215

The x7is are kind of expensive on that list though.

The X7i also sounds like nothing else on your list.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

grack posted:

The X7i also sounds like nothing else on your list.

In a good way? It is the far price outlier but I have heard good things about them..

grack
Jan 10, 2012

priznat posted:

In a good way? It is the far price outlier but I have heard good things about them..

I have a pair, they sound great but they're much closer to a flat response than anything else you've listed. They also have limited EQ headroom due to being balanced armatures instead of dynamics.

If you're trying to replace your S4s (which I think you mentioned) I don't know if the X7i would appeal to you.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

grack posted:

They also have limited EQ headroom due to being balanced armatures instead of dynamics.

Please explain.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

The Monkey Man posted:

My Monster Turbines (normal ones) have been stupidly durable. Gone through the wash twice due to my stupidity, and handle being gym ear phones with no problems. Also handle my 3 year old playing with them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

Please explain.

A balanced armature has a significantly smaller diaphragm than all but the very smallest dynamic driver IEMs. The size of the diaphragm does matter in terms of actually being able to EQ the output, over and above the acoustic engineering that goes in to the design of the body.

For example, you're never going to turn an Eytmotic E4s in to a bass monster because it simply can't move enough air. It'll clip instead. Obviously this matters less in multi-armature headphones or BAs specifically tuned to be bass-heavy, but the X7i is neither of those.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

grack posted:

I have a pair, they sound great but they're much closer to a flat response than anything else you've listed. They also have limited EQ headroom due to being balanced armatures instead of dynamics.

If you're trying to replace your S4s (which I think you mentioned) I don't know if the X7i would appeal to you.

Cool, thanks for that info. I am going from S4is indeed, and I hadn't been impressed with them the way that previous IEMs I've owned (a couple Shures, an earlier klipsch I forget which). I don't mind a flat response, but I probably won't go for the x7is just because they are a bit spendier than what I'd like to pay. The RHA MA750s have the nice combination of price, build quality from what I've read and easily available at the apple store - additional benefit is ease of returns if I don't like them.

I think I've pretty much made up my mind on them but I like to take ages to ponder :)

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I'm looking for my first "real" set of headphones for PC gaming. I don't really have anything other than a Logitech H150, so I'm willing to go big here.

Budget - $100 - 150 USD. I'm no audiophile, but I'm more than willing to up the budget if it seems worth it.
Source - My PC, with both USB and headphone jacks available.
Isolation Requirements - None really, I plan on using these in my room almost exclusively.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural. Open is a must, because I plan on wearing these for hours at a time. Comfort and quality are a must, while isolation is not.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'd mostly be gaming with these, with a bit of music and VOIP. I'd like a good balance, I guess? Maybe with slightly more bass?
Past Headphones - No idea on the brands, but most of the previous stuff I've tried has been really uncomfortable, because my ears are super weird / sensitive, and after a while it hurts to have earbuds or headphones in or on them, while closed stuff has made my ears feel sweaty.
Preferred Music - I'd be using these mostly for gaming, VOIP, and podcasts, but the music I listen to the most is definitely classic rock or blues.

Thank you very much!

literally this big fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 10, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Illegal Carrot posted:

I'm looking for my first "real" set of headphones for PC gaming. I don't really have anything other than a Logitech H150, so I'm willing to go big here.

Budget - $100 - 150 USD. I'm no audiophile, but I'm more than willing to up the budget if it seems worth it.
Isolation Requirements - None really, I plan on using these in my room almost exclusively.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural. Open is a must, because I plan on wearing these for hours at a time. Comfort and quality are a must, while isolation is not.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'd mostly be gaming with these, with a bit of music and VOIP. I'd like a good balance, I guess? Maybe with slightly more bass?
Past Headphones - No idea on the brands, but most of the previous stuff I've tried has been really uncomfortable, because my ears are super weird / sensitive, and after a while it hurts to have earbuds or headphones in or on them, while closed stuff has made my ears feel sweaty.
Preferred Music - I'd be using these mostly for gaming, VOIP, and podcasts, but the music I listen to the most is definitely classic rock or blues.

Thank you very much!

I love my Astro A40's, and they seem to meet all of your requirements. The microphone is excellent, and there's an optional in-line mic (with in-line mute) if you don't like the boom-style mic. Sound is very balanced (at least to my non-audiophile ears). Bass isn't really emphasized. The best I can describe is that it sounds tonally correct, but doesn't feel as deep as with a closed-back set of headphones.

I do not have a particularly large head (8 1/4 hat size in the US, I think?), and am able to wear them for a full work day. Note that they have cloth covers instead of leather/pleather, which some people love, and others don't. I personally wish they came with pleather, but it's a minor complaint.

The Astro Mixamp adds to the cost, but is optional. I like Dolby Headphone--especially for hours long conference calls--but many people are perfectly happy with Creative's CMSS-3D.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I need a recommendation for some IEM's I can wear while running and just for general mobile use. in-line remote is pretty key, are there any that do microphone passthrough so you can hear what's going on around you w/out taking them out?

Budget - $50-100
Source - iPhone primarily
Isolation Requirements - moderate, not a major factor
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - warm, maybe slight preference towards bass but quality sound is more important than the specific balance
Past Headphones - currently using the new iPhone earbuds, they work alright but fall out constantly while running. I currently use Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's and Grado SR80's. I've owned Audio Technica ATH-M40's and Shure E4's before but would never spend that much on IEM's again w/ how fragile the cable is. I wore them over-ear for about 2 years before the cords split/frayed and the $250 MSRP in-ears were rendered useless.
Preferred Music - rock/ambient/electronic/whatever.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Illegal Carrot posted:

Thank you very much!
Take a look at these.
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Midorka posted:

Yup. Stop treating your IEMs like $5 earbuds. Don't shove them in your pocket, wrap them around your iPod, and etc. It's not rocket science of how to take care of things.
How are you suppose to keep your IEMs when not using it then? or do you just not bring expensive ones outside with you.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Fat Care-Bear posted:

How are you suppose to keep your IEMs when not using it then? or do you just not bring expensive ones outside with you.

Most headphones over 30 bucks come with carrying cases.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fat Care-Bear posted:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Case-Logic-Hard-Shell-Medium-Camera-Case-Black/20678985

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not like they're now going to last forever just because you keep them in a case. Stuff can still wear out or break even if treated well. Especially something like IEM's where you have more delicate cables combined with mobile use instead of sitting pristine on a desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Treating them nice can go a long way. I've been using the same pair of custom IEMs since 2008. Flying, running, lawn-mowing. Original cables and all.