Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That's... good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm curious to see if anyone else has ever heard of the PS2 era game "Okage: Shadow King"? I played this game in high school and it was legit one of my favorites (and still is to this day), but nobody has ever heard of it. It's absolutely hysterical, about this really shy, dorky kid whose shadow turns into a demon king named Stan who immediately commands him to take over the world- which he promptly sets out to do. If Tim Burton made a video game, it'd be this.

The battle system is pretty typical JRPG turn-based fare but that isn't the charm of the game at all. It's just great and I'd love to play it again someday.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There was a good LP of it not long back. I think by DarkHamsterlord. The gameplay seemed pretty ho-hum, but it oozed charm in its visuals and writing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Related to this thread but: I just finished Half-Minute Hero 2 and it's a really weird game. The first game is like a parody of JRPGs but the second one is just an RPG. Like flat-out just an RPG. It still has the 30-second timer gimmicks but there are periods without it including an entire huge bonus dungeon which is entirely untimed, and the story is a lot more straight-JRPG than the first one. It's still got comedy but if it wasn't for the 30 second gimmick it could be a Tales plot or whatever and I wouldn't notice.

This is the worst news all year.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Captain Mog posted:

"Okage: Shadow King"... If Tim Burton made a video game, it'd be this.
Not really true at all, except for the art style.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Okage was cool as heck even if it did have some bizzare gameplay decisions, like giving the MC a taunt ability..but it's instant game over if he dies. :pwn:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Okage was fun and weird as poo poo, but some of those encounters... basically, attack casters SUCK in Okage except in one fight, in which the boss at the top of a super-long dungeon with no save points is completely immune to physical attacks.

There's hidden relationship mechanics, tons of stupid hidden items, all that kinds of stuff. Strangely enough, there's only one ending, which was kind of disappointing considering the rest of the game. If you can get past the awful battle system (and this is coming from someone who thought Lost Odyssey's combat was great), it's a really charming game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Okage was great. Ridiculous in a million ways, some of which were shining examples of bad game design (instant game over if the main character dies, really?), but great. Charming is the right word. Hilarious at points, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(instant game over if the main character dies, really?)
Hey, worked for Persona! :v:

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Okage was one of those games that always stood out among a bunch of generic looking covers. I never played it, but I always thought "huh, that looks really neat."

I guess it didn't stand out enough though if I never played it. :ohdear:

Going back to Suikoden for one sec, I wanted to mention that both the DS and PSP ones had pretty good music, but in particular Tierkreis had one of my favorite recent boss battle themes, Clash with the Archivist. So they're not all bad games. Just mostly bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just had NieR recommended to me by a guy who considers the Compilation of FFVII and the Lightning Trilogy as the best stories in JRPGs.

I'm worried about getting it...very worried. I know I like some unpopular games but even by my Xeno fanboy standards, I think those kinds of views are a bit unconventional and I pray that NieR's writing is nothing at all like XIII's.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A dude has opinions that are not mine. Therefore, all opinions he holds are bad.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Nier owns. The writing is very good and the game is pretty solid with it. It's a good experience. Just don't worry about completing all the sidequests unless they give you nice things and you can do them easily.

Endorph posted:

A dude has opinions that are not mine. Therefore, all opinions he holds are bad.

To be fair, I can understand being wary of someone who picks out the Lightning trilogy as the best writing ever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I just had NieR recommended to me by a guy who considers the Compilation of FFVII and the Lightning Trilogy as the best stories in JRPGs.

I'm worried about getting it...very worried. I know I like some unpopular games but even by my Xeno fanboy standards, I think those kinds of views are a bit unconventional and I pray that NieR's writing is nothing at all like XIII's.

It really isn't. Nier is basically like nothing else. It's the Pathologic of JRPGs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Stelas posted:

Nier owns. The writing is very good and the game is pretty solid with it. It's a good experience. Just don't worry about completing all the sidequests unless they give you nice things and you can do them easily.

I'm not really a completionist. I like to play the games for the plots and sidequests are just something I may do if they interest me.

I've heard NieR's soundtrack is among the best ever though so I am looking forward to that. Music means a lot to me in my JRPGs.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

NieR is a really fun game with top-notch writing and breathtaking music. If you enjoy a good story in a video game, then you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't experience NieR. Just keep two things in mind:

1) When you are told to go fishing at the beach, go fishing at the beach. Don't be a dipshit and try to fish off the pier.

2)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not really a completionist. I like to play the games for the plots and sidequests are just something I may do if they interest me.

I've heard NieR's soundtrack is among the best ever though so I am looking forward to that. Music means a lot to me in my JRPGs.

Nier has one of the best RPG soundtracks ever in my opinion, so look forward to that. The only thing I don't like about it is that 95% of the sidequests suck rear end, so you're going into it with the right attitude. It just has such a great creepy atmosphere, it's really nothing like XIII, or any Final Fantasy for that matter. Anyone who's played it will tell you how ridiculous that sounds, it's like comparing Lord of the Rings to Berserk.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 8, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

U-DO Burger posted:

NieR is a really fun game with top-notch writing and breathtaking music. If you enjoy a good story in a video game, then you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't experience NieR. Just keep two things in mind:

1) When you are told to go fishing at the beach, go fishing at the beach. Don't be a dipshit and try to fish off the pier.

Clarifying this, don't fish at the beach next to the pier either. That was my mistake. Go around to a nearby beach and you'll find the mini-game pretty easy. If you can still see the old man who told you to go fishing you are going to lose your poo poo.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

To further clarify, when you get the mission to fish, open your map and go to where the big red X is on it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

2)

A fellow Xeno fan recommending it to me is heartening.

Hakkesshu posted:

Nier has one of the best RPG soundtracks ever in my opinion, so look forward to that. The only thing I don't like about it is that 95% of the sidequests suck rear end, so you're going into it with the right attitude. It just has such a great creepy atmosphere, it's really nothing like XIII, or any Final Fantasy for that matter. Anyone who's played it will tell you how ridiculous that sounds, it's like comparing Lord of the Rings to Berserk.

Sounds good. I've been looking for something "different" which is also why I wanted to try Wild ARMs. I got 3 in the mail so hopefully that will occupy me until I can get NieR.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

A fellow Xeno fan recommending it to me is heartening.

Sounds good. I've been looking for something "different" which is also why I wanted to try Wild ARMs. I got 3 in the mail so hopefully that will occupy me until I can get NieR.

Wild ARMs 3 is a really excellent game.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

Prism posted:

Wild ARMs 3 is a really excellent game.

The soundtrack to Wild Arms 3 is what got me listening to Game OSTs on their own. It has an absolutely fantastic soundtrack.

I think Wild Arms 3 was the last good title in the series, though. 5 was passable, 4 was HORRIBLE aside from the music.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Wild Arms is another great RPG series that faded with the PS2 era. It always made me wish puzzles were a more common thing, especially the millennium puzzles. Those were really fun in WA3.

The third game is my favorite, but four and five really weren't bad games.

Wild Arms 4 had a plot built on nothing but cliches as I recall, but I did enjoy the hex battle system. Applying effects to individual hexes and moving around, or manipulating enemy movement, was fun. The game was relaxed with how you developed your characters too, so you could try a bunch of different stuff. I know that's true about most WA games (except maybe upgrading ARMs in the first two) but it stands out in WA4 for some reason.

Wild Arms 5 just sort of took everything 4 did and improved on it.

Antignition posted:

It has an absolutely fantastic soundtrack.

Yes! Each game definitely had really awesome music. Alter Code F and XF too.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
Speaking of PS2, which is considered the best PS2 Atelier game?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

O__O posted:

Mana Khemia 1 or 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

O__O posted:

Mana Khemia 1. Not 2. 2 tries to do a dual protagonist thing and it ends up making it a much worse game. The Atelier Iris games are generally okay but MK does what they do and better.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Wild ARMs 5 holds a special place in my heart for having the energetic center of the party also be the protagonist. Dean's the one who picks up everyone when they're down, and keeps the group on-task and motivated through almost the entire game.

The game's also filled with dorky-rear end moments like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsNdqOpVo-M

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I dunno, I actually preferred Wild Arms 4 over 5. 4 may have been short and had a really weird moral that I think was mangled in translation maybe... or something, but I liked the gameplay enough. 5 was just irritating with a cast that I couldn't stand and one of the worst endings you could have for a JRPG you spent hours on. Neither hold a candle to 3 though, which did almost everything right.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I dunno, I actually preferred Wild Arms 4 over 5. 4 may have been short and had a really weird moral that I think was mangled in translation maybe... or something, but I liked the gameplay enough. 5 was just irritating with a cast that I couldn't stand

Yeah, I agree completely. I couldn't get through ten hours of Dean shouting out LET'S HAVE A LOOKSIE, LET'S TAKE A LOOK AROUND, LET'S HAVE A LOOKSIE or the stupid-rear end noises he made on ladders or.. aaaugh. I just hate Dean. Chuck and Greg were good, though.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
To be fair, Wild Arms 4 had a good battle system and some good puzzle/platforming elements to it (in addition to a pretty good soundtrack overall).

Unfortunately, the protagonist and the girl are pretty annoying and unlikable, even by JRPG standards (Arnaud and Raquel were ok). The last couple hours of the game have some ridiculously stupid story elements to it (some dude flying into the air and punching a missile, for one), the kids get even *more* annoying, and the last boss fight has the worst boss music I have ever experienced in a game.

Dean wasn't great but he was a hell of a lot less annoying than W4's protagonist. WA5 did have it's share of terrible characters and plot devices though.

Wild Arms 3 was the last Wild Arms I didn't feel guilty about playing to completion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I dunno, I actually preferred Wild Arms 4 over 5. 4 may have been short and had a really weird moral that I think was mangled in translation maybe... or something, but I liked the gameplay enough. 5 was just irritating with a cast that I couldn't stand and one of the worst endings you could have for a JRPG you spent hours on. Neither hold a candle to 3 though, which did almost everything right.

No, the translation is fine. XSEED (I think it was them) did a fine job with it. WA4 is just a hosed-up game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

No, the translation is fine. XSEED (I think it was them) did a fine job with it. WA4 is just a hosed-up game.

Huh. I always assumed that the intended moral was that adults in power should be less petty and have a responsibility to improve things for future generations, that somehow got mangled into "Kids know best, Adults are dumb and evil".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I agree completely. I couldn't get through ten hours of Dean shouting out LET'S HAVE A LOOKSIE, LET'S TAKE A LOOK AROUND, LET'S HAVE A LOOKSIE or the stupid-rear end noises he made on ladders or.. aaaugh. I just hate Dean. Chuck and Greg were good, though.

Couldn't you turn down the frequency of the characters belting out stupid catch-phrases while you're running around in 4 and 5? I remember that being a weird (yet completely necessary) option.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Antignition posted:

(some dude flying into the air and punching a missile, for one)

I don't remember this at all, so I searched for "wild arms 4 punching missile" on YouTube and it was the first result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9KFOJzn3u4&t=142s

Fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Huh. I always assumed that the intended moral was that adults in power should be less petty and have a responsibility to improve things for future generations, that somehow got mangled into "Kids know best, Adults are dumb and evil".

I think that was probably the intended message but they mangled it beyond all comprehension, especially since the ending is the various protagonists largely retreating from responsibility or world-shaping in favor of children or childlike things.

BloodWulfe posted:

I don't remember this at all, so I searched for "wild arms 4 punching missile" on YouTube and it was the first result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9KFOJzn3u4&t=142s

Fantastic.

Wow, I forgot that is literally Reverse Falcon Punch, right down to the voice actor involved.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think that was probably the intended message but they mangled it beyond all comprehension, especially since the ending is the various protagonists largely retreating from responsibility or world-shaping in favor of children or childlike things.

Wow, I forgot that is literally Reverse Falcon Punch, right down to the voice actor involved.

All I remember about the ending is Arnaud and Raquel getting married and trying to live the last few years of her life in happiness. I don't recall what happens to Jude or Yulie.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

All I remember about the ending is Arnaud and Raquel getting married and trying to live the last few years of her life in happiness. I don't recall what happens to Jude or Yulie.

From what I remember, Jude runs off into the woods and becomes a hermit/ranger and communes with animals because he's an awful person. Yulie ends up teaching children in this one forest town while she's waiting for her dead brother to come back to her, because Jude left her brother's music box on a fence before he ran off.

Jude has to be one of the worst and most unlikable protagonists to ever grace a JRPG.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Jude has to be one of the worst and most unlikable protagonists to ever grace a JRPG.

I've been thinking of picking that game up, and I kinda want to just order it now so I can see if he's really that bad. Maybe he'll beat out Ulrika (Mana Khemia 2) for the Character I Really loving Hate Award.

Edit: Actually, in thinking about it I kinda hate just about all of the MK2 cast. They just aren't as good as the MK1 cast, and I really can't begin to even remember their names. All I really liked were Pepperoni and the flame elemental guy. (Special mentions go to that one chick's kid brother and the male MC's ladyfriend for being particularly awful.)

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 10, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jude's ending is just... weird. Kid's spent the whole game learning about how anything's possible if you work together, and giving a bit of hope to the last few lovely villages that maybe things can be rebuilt and improved. Then as soon as the ending credits pop up, gently caress you all, he's off to be a Disney princess in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

I've been thinking of picking that game up, and I kinda want to just order it now so I can see if he's really that bad. Maybe he'll beat out Ulrika (Mana Khemia 2) for the Character I Really loving Hate Award.

Edit: Actually, in thinking about it I kinda hate just about all of the MK2 cast. They just aren't as good as the MK1 cast, and I really can't begin to even remember their names. All I really liked were Pepperoni and the flame elemental guy. (Special mentions go to that one chick's kid brother and the male MC's ladyfriend for being particularly awful.)

The MK2 cast is boring as poo poo. A big part of the problem is that Atelier characters are never exactly overflowing with personality traits and in order to justify the two-protagonist setup they just took the usual character traits and divided them over twice as many characters. And since any character with a single personality trait is usually intolerable, welp.