Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Steve Yun posted:

He wrapped it in that giant lotus leaf

Oh, in that case, I guess the clay is just going to act like a lidded, close-fitted dutch oven - the meat will braise slowly in its own moisture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Those are great. I think Mads interview was the best. He's so completely different from his character. So casual and nice. The one thing I found strange was how they were pronouncing his name. I though the "d" in Mads name was silent and pronounced Mas, but Lawrence, Hugh, and Scott all pronounced it with the "d." Hmm

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

a foolish pianist posted:

Oh, in that case, I guess the clay is just going to act like a lidded, close-fitted dutch oven - the meat will braise slowly in its own moisture.

"Oh, in that case" Did you even watch the episode? You read that it needed to be wrapped in something and your mind didn't recall that scene. At all? The leaf (kudos to the poster who pointed out it was a lotus leaf) was at least 2x2 ft and seemed even more. How did you miss it?

"you guess it is going to act like a lidded, dutch oven" Well what else was it going to do? Sous Vide the protein? Same thing as a salt-crust application. (Although salt is better because of its desiccating properties for a crust, yes it traps in the moisture creating more of a braise than a roast in a dry-heat environment.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've been looking up clay roasting and almost all of it online is clay-roasted chickens and they look pretty pathetic, skins unrendered. I suppose pork or beef might work better with the technique.

Although Janice mentions Beggars Chicken and those look pretty good, curious what the difference is...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 8, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stabitha posted:

Those are great. I think Mads interview was the best. He's so completely different from his character. So casual and nice. The one thing I found strange was how they were pronouncing his name. I though the "d" in Mads name was silent and pronounced Mas, but Lawrence, Hugh, and Scott all pronounced it with the "d." Hmm

They are also very revealing. It seems like they are playing the relationships a lot more straightforward than we are supposing in the thread. Particularly Mads' interview, where he says his endgame with Will is he just wants to be his friend, how Hannibal likes what he has in common with Jack, and how " I like everyone I seem to like".

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

JD Bucks 7 posted:

"Oh, in that case" Did you even watch the episode? You read that it needed to be wrapped in something and your mind didn't recall that scene. At all? The leaf (kudos to the poster who pointed out it was a lotus leaf) was at least 2x2 ft and seemed even more. How did you miss it?

"you guess it is going to act like a lidded, dutch oven" Well what else was it going to do? Sous Vide the protein? Same thing as a salt-crust application. (Although salt is better because of its desiccating properties for a crust, yes it traps in the moisture creating more of a braise than a roast in a dry-heat environment.)

So I forgot a detail from a show. Yes, I watched. I was just trying to be helpful. I'd seen wet-clay cooking before, and just offered what I remembered.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 8, 2014

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh wow, Scott Thompson and Mads are like little kids. "Wee man! He's holding my mic, he's here!"

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

zoux posted:

They are also very revealing. It seems like they are playing the relationships a lot more straightforward than we are supposing in the thread. Particularly Mads' interview, where he says his endgame with Will is he just wants to be his friend, how Hannibal likes what he has in common with Jack, and how " I like everyone I seem to like".

I really think the best place to read about character motivation wrt Hannibal's feelings for Will is directly from the horse's mouth. Several interviews with Fuller have touched on this very topic and I think he leaves very little doubt.

http://www.avclub.com/article/hannibals-bryan-fuller-his-brief-sojourn-legal-thr-202178

AVC: You’ve played around a little bit with Hannibal’s emotions. How much do you think he really misses Will?

BF: I think he absolutely misses Will. I think he absolutely loves him. I don’t think it is a sexual love, as much as it is this meeting of minds and a very lonely man who sees another very lonely man, who can understand him and appreciate him, and he sees the opportunity for true, genuine friendship for the very first time in his life. So I think it absolutely is genuine, Hannibal’s affection for Will Graham. But... he’s... nuts [Laughs.] so you don’t want that affection.

So that’s kind of the fun of it. And I think it has to be true, and I think it has to be a genuine love for him to continue to persecute Will in the way that he does. But all out of the motivation of, “This is tough love. This is going to make you a better person. This is going to make you a truer person to yourself. And I have to take these steps, and I want to be with you on that journey and watch you.” There’s another Thomas Harris quote that we use later on in the season, where Hannibal says to Will, “I can feed the caterpillar. I can whisper to the chrysalis. But what emerges is truly its own thing,” and that’s what’s happening with Hannibal and Will.

AVC: Do you think this is unique to Hannibal’s life? Has he had these feelings of intense friendship or intense love before, or is this something that has really gone beyond anything he’s familiar with?

BF: I think the answer is yes to both of those things. This is something that he has done before. We do explore that later in the season, that he has had other patients that he may have been encouraging of in different ways, similar to Will’s, but Will’s really “the one.”

and
http://www.assignmentx.com/2013/exclusive-interview-hannibal-news-on-season-1-season-2-and-beyond-from-showrunner-bryan-fuller/

but for me what did it was this film AFTER THE WEDDING. It’s a beautiful film and he plays this heartbroken man who is trying to get back a lost romance and he was so sweet and emotional and vulnerable, and I really wanted meet him, because I felt like [part of HANNIBAL is] about Hannibal Lecter trying to find a friend, because he’s lonely in his own way. I wanted to see that vulnerability, that bonding, that need for a companion to share his life with in a way that he thought would never be possible. Then along comes Will Graham, a man who empathizes with the worst of humanity, and perhaps there could be a chance for Hannibal to have a friend after all. It felt like it was such a fascinating place to take a villain. It would be very easy to [depict] Hannibal Lecter as a psychopath or a sociopath, and in the book RED DRAGON, Thomas Harris says, “He’s not really a psychopath or a sociopath, because he does understand empathy, so what kind of crazy is he, and the answer is, we don’t know.” Primarily because it’s a work of fiction, but he does not fit any of the kind of the categories of the multi-phasic tests for psychopaths. He doesn’t fit any of those columns, so [the series] looks at him not as a psycho, but as someone who was completely Other.

porkchop_express fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 8, 2014

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh wow, Scott Thompson and Mads are like little kids. "Wee man! He's holding my mic, he's here!"

I especially liked Scott Thompson play-taunting Laurence Fishburne by calling him Larry. (Who notoriously hates the nickname Larry and changed it mid-career. I thought it really pissed him off but he must be more good humored about it nowadays).

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Really? If I remember right, he was Larry Fishburne in King of New York, that 90s gangster film with Walken.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Mads' interview is great. I had no idea he was so different from his portrayal of Hannibal.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

a foolish pianist posted:

Really? If I remember right, he was Larry Fishburne in King of New York, that 90s gangster film with Walken.

He was, he just decided to change it. That's why you see him credited as Laurence Fishburne nowadays instead.

Excerpt of Adam Carolla interviewing Laurence Fishburne (12.4.09) posted:

AC: Don’t you hate it when people do that thing where they go, “Oh, here today gone tomorrow” or “This business. They give it to you and they take it away.” You’re skilled. That’s why you’re working.

LF: Well, thank you. I’m blessed. I have been blessed with talent. I have tried to take care of it. I have tried to take what I do seriously, but I don’t take my self seriously. I think people kind of confuse the idea that because I play serious people that I take myself seriously and I don’t. I mean, I used to be called Larry and now I’m called Laurence. And I think some people were like, “Well, what’s the mater with Larry?” Larry’s just not my name anymore and it doesn’t feel like me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Tokubetsu posted:

So the AXN site is posting these great little bts interview things that are hosted by Scott Thompson. They're great:
http://www.axn.pt/videos/series/hannibal/postmortem-laurence-fishburne
http://www.axn.pt/videos/series/hannibal/postmortem-hugh-dancy
http://www.axn.pt/videos/series/hannibal/postmortem-mads-mikkelson

"This is the room on the last day, I'll come in and steal something" :allears:

Great interviews.

"Hugh Dancy is so short. He's actually on the otherside of this chair!"

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Those things are amazing.

Please don't kill Jimmy Price :smith:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Stabitha posted:

It's a silent D. I have some theory that Americans don't care for how to pronounce people's names.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ufarn posted:

It's a silent D. I have some theory that Americans don't care for how to pronounce people's names.

That's some theory.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

ufarn posted:

Only one American out of those four. Jerbs and whatnot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Those portuguese AXN videos seem to have been taken down

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Hugh Dancy hailing from the heart the South, Staffordshire, America.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Not being able to speak languages you don't understand isn't something exclusive to America.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Yeah but I mean not knowing how to pronounce someone's name after you spend like a year working with them is kind of insulting. Kind of a leap between "hey this guy I am around all the time had a silent letter in his name" and "learning a new language".

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Maybe he's just not an rear end in a top hat and doesn't want to tell every person he meets how to pronounce his name a certain way in which there's only 5.6 million speakers of in the entire loving world.

There's a reason he learned English and we didn't learn Danish :colbert:

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Maybe I'm just weird then, but I'd at least make a fair faith effort to learn how to pronounce a name from a different culture if I planned on being around that person for any reasonable length of time. Then again I had a teacher in high school that just gave all of the Vietnamese students new, American names because she couldn't be bothered to even take a swing at getting them right, so it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it was just a case of nobody giving a poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

British people don't give a gently caress how words are pronounced in its native language and that owns.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
innit.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:
Hugh Dancy has known him since King Arthur in 2004 and still says it wrong. But Mads doesn't mind and thinks it sounds kind of cool. They talk about A Royal Affair in there, which I haven't seen anybody recommend here yet, but it's really excellent and just a gorgeous movie all around. King Arthur has this fun bit that I can't find a video of, where they might as well be Will and Hannibal.

Here's a little clip of him saying his name if anyone wants to be super accurate.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Mu Zeta posted:

British people don't give a gently caress how words are pronounced in its native language and that owns.

I dew blud, innnit.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I'm still gonna call him 'Mads', because he's right it does sound cooler.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

ufarn posted:

It's not completely silent it's just... danish. I'm Swedish and our version of Mads is Mats with a hard 't'. We usually joke that Danish is just drunken and slurred Swedish but it's not so much slurring as it is "swallowing" (muting?) of consonants if that makes sense?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I always assumed that "Mads" was a pre-Anglicized version of "Matt", and that "Mikkelson" was Anglicized into "Michelson". So I was calling him "Matt Michelson", with the T kind of slurred into an S a bit.

But apparently it's "Mickle-son", so whatever.

Modest Proportion
Dec 16, 2012

"Oh wrangling schools, that search what fire
Shall burn this world, had none the wit
Unto this knowledge to aspire,
That this her fever might be it?"

"Did you just smell me?"
At the risk of looking back more than 1 episode, I'd like to think Hannibal appreciates James Gray's mural for reasons not unrelated to his past life as a cyclopic clairvoyant Viking.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

Waaaaaa none of those work!

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

chesh posted:

Waaaaaa none of those work!

Haven't seen any backups, sorry. Also Fuller on the character Pitt's playing:
http://www.scifinow.co.uk/interviews/58959/hannibal-season-2-michael-pitt-the-joker-to-hannibals-batman/

quote:

I’m eager for people to take a peek at what he does because I think it will be certainly iconic in the Thomas Harris legacy of these characters,” he tells us.

Mason Verger is the wealthy psychopath previously played by Gary Oldman in Ridley Scott’s Hannibal, and Fuller tells us that Pitt’s take will see Dr Lecter pushed to his limit.

“The scenes with Michael Pitt and Mads Mikkelsen have been so much fun to cut because we’ve always talked about how Mason Verger has to be a bit of the Joker to Hannibal’s Batman and they have to have a dynamic of ‘Here’s this guy who’s in therapy with Hannibal Lecter, but he clearly has no taste for him,’” he tells us.

“Well, he does, but he just thinks he’s an atrocious human being, and the last episode of the Verger arc is one of the darkest comedies that we’ve done on the show.”

“Michael Pitt brings such a pimp quality to Mason Verger because the first time you see him he’s dressed in this fantastic fur coat and there’s a little bit of The Great Gatsby meets Scott Disick, so he’s fantastically styled and Michael had so much fun with the role, it’s been delightful to cut him because he is trying everything and really embracing the kind of haute creep capacity of this character, and it’s really exciting.”

Spoilered one bit for people who haven't seen the films or read the books and dont want even a hint of this character's story arc. Feels like we have so much ground to cover until the finale but I just want all of it now.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

I hope Verger and Chilton have some sort of pimp-off. :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I loved the symbolism of Will in the cage with the Stag's horns growing out from his back and bursting right through the bars of the cage above his head. They showed his power, his ability to reach beyond his imprisonment and come within an inch of killing Hannibal. He took the darkness that had haunted him all through the first season and embraced it. Owned it.

Then Hannibal comes in and slaps him down with that comment about Alana. After he leaves, Will looks up at the roof of the cage and his horns are all gone now. The cage, unbroken.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I was thinking about this the other day, but why a stag? It can't be as simple as "there's a sculpture of a stag in Hannibal's office", can it?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I assumed it was because of all the corpses early on that were impaled on antlers, and that it illustrated Will's associative abilities at work, telling him: "This is a killer."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'd already forgotten about the upcoming Mason Verger plot because of all the poo poo coming down on Hannibal right now. I don't even see how he could have time to deal with patients when at least two people have him pegged as the potential Chesapeake Ripper. Well, Will knows he's the Ripper and Jack is just highly wary of Hannibal.

I have faith that Bryan Fuller will be able to work it into his design for the show, but it seems like a big thing to pile on Hannibal Lecter at the moment.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Gorilla Salad posted:

I loved the symbolism of Will in the cage with the Stag's horns growing out from his back and bursting right through the bars of the cage above his head. They showed his power, his ability to reach beyond his imprisonment and come within an inch of killing Hannibal. He took the darkness that had haunted him all through the first season and embraced it. Owned it.

Then Hannibal comes in and slaps him down with that comment about Alana. After he leaves, Will looks up at the roof of the cage and his horns are all gone now. The cage, unbroken.

Another piece of imagery from that scene I love is the entire transition into it. Jack and Alana pulling away from him as he braces for stag horns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

zoux posted:

So I was thinking about this the other day, but why a stag? It can't be as simple as "there's a sculpture of a stag in Hannibal's office", can it?

In addition to the associative stuff from Garret Jacob Hobbs' murders and the statue in Hannibal's office, it also ties in with the idea of the Wendigo, a cannibal spirit from Algonquin mythology. Though not specified in the wiki article, some versions of the Wendigo look like corpses with stag horns -- and so incidentally the stag when it takes human form in the show is sometimes referred to as "the Wendigo" by fans and in press materials.

In Will's case it seems like "growing" horns is associated with his feelings of becoming a murderer, descending to Hannibal's level, and becoming somehow bestial.

• Locked thread