Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I think you all missed the most important part of that car story. The son was telegrammed that his father was dead, but when have wicked sports cars and telegrams existed together, with a 30 year gap between car and the telegram?

1885. The car was his ticket home. Marty never got back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

exmorte posted:

Not trying to stir anything up, but Libertarianism hardly seems like a great platform for being pro-circumcision but apparently it is?

Minnie Strone's comment kinnnd of sickened me though, glad I don't live in that state anymore.

I know it's from a few pages back, but are you sure that isn't a joke account?

I mean who would name their kid that?

Edit: Minestrone is soup.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 8, 2014

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

Of course students have a right to freely express themselves in a test answer. But that doesn't mean they have a right to a good grade for every answer.

e: not to mention the fact that in-school speech by a K-12 student may constitutionally be infringed to a greater extent than out-of-school speech

I don't really see anything wrong with writing about Jesus as long as it fits the assignment. Neither of the articles said what the actual assignment was, except that it was "open-ended" :shrug: Maybe the student could have written a better pseudo-essay with a different prompt, and that's probably where the teacher was coming from.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

And Pete Sariya is an Italian eatery!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

:cmon:

e: http://socialfixer.com/features.html#ex8

vvv almost redeemed

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 8, 2014

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Wow. Both my parents Al Fraydo and Lisa Nyee would be so ashamed of me.

Edit: Their marriage was really strained. Was a messy divorce.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 8, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Finally, something to contribute!

The comment by the poster was "gun control logic".
I'll spare you the comments that resulted, but it's pretty clear they didn't understand their own metaphor.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

It's a parable.

I understand it is a parable. It is a stupid parable. My point was that the parable could have used some actual, I don't know, humans in it.

CowHammer
Feb 18, 2013
Someone I knew in high school posted this er... article.

http://spokanefavs.com/2014/04/06/op-ed-warns-conservative-christians-face-persecution-pro-gay-homofascists/

I wanted to pull some choice quotes out, but drat the whole article is gold poo poo:

quote:

We all know the story — Mozilla co-founder Brendan Eich was recently pressured to resign from his position as CEO of the company he helped create after word got out he donated $1,000 to a group supporting Proposition 8, the California measure that banned gay marriage in California, in 2008.

Since Eich’s ouster, a number of people, including some who support gay marriage, have denounced what has been called a “witch hunt,” warning that free speech and free thought is officially dead in America.

“The whole episode disgusts me — as it should disgust anyone interested in a tolerant and diverse society,” wrote Andrew Sullivan, hardly a conservative icon. “If this is the gay rights movement today — hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else — then count me out. If we are about intimidating the free speech of others, we are no better than the anti-gay bullies who came before us.”

But an op-ed posted Saturday at GOPUSA by Matt Barber goes even further and warns of a growing “homofascism” that seeks to ultimately criminalize conservative Christianity — the form of Christianity that adheres to the teaching that while God loves the sinner so much he sent his son to die on the cross for everyone, he abhors sin — all of it.

Barber acknowledges that many — even some who profess to be Christian — “think that I and others are using hyperbole when we refer to this sexual anarchist ‘LGBT’ movement as ‘homofascist’ or the ‘Gaystapo.’”

“I hope you’ll think again,” he wrote. “It’s time to wake up and smell the impending anti-Christian persecution. It’s fully at hand.”

Barber cited BarbWire contributor Laurie Higgins, who commented on a Washington Examiner story:

CEO and co-founder of Mozilla (and inventor of JavaScript) Brendan Eich is forced to resign because of his $1,000 donation to Prop 8 six years ago. So, I guess it’s semi-official: American citizens who believe marriage is inherently sexually complementary cannot work in America–not even in their own companies. First Amendment: R.I.P.

When asked if his religious beliefs about marriage should constitute a firing offense the way racism or sexism does, Eich told CNET no, the Examiner reported.

“I don’t believe that’s true, on the basis of what’s permissible to support or vote on in 2008,” he said. “It’s still permissible. Beliefs that are protected, that include political and religious speech, are generally not something that can be held against even a CEO. I understand there are people who disagree with me on this one.”

Of course, that was in 2008, when even Barack Obama and Joe Biden said they did not agree with gay marriage. No one, of course, suggested they resign or withdraw from the race for their views.

But times, apparently, have changed.

That, Barber noted, is the America we used to live in.

“That’s the America of our founding. Welcome to ‘Amerika,’” he added. “Homofascism is the order of the day and Christian ‘intolerance’ simply will not be tolerated. That was before we became the godless, wicked nation we are today. A once-great nation that now takes ‘pride’ in calling ‘evil good and good evil.’”

Barber went on to say Bible-believing Christians need to “buckle up.”

“Your whole world is about to change,” he wrote. “The Rainbowshirts are emboldened and they’ve broken out the long knives.”

“They smell blood in the water. I’ve often said that these folks want those who speak Biblical truth about human sexuality and legitimate marriage either 1) dead, 2) imprisoned or, if they can have neither of these, 3) marginalized to the point where they can’t even support their families,” he added.

Barber concluded with an even sterner warning.

“Freedom is hanging on by a thread, America, and it is those who worship the sin of Sodom that are determined to finish it off once and for all,” he said.
:godwin:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Man the night of the long knives ended with like 100 something deaths and was perpetrated in a very sudden and organized way, how disingenuous do you have to be to pretend that one jackass getting fired is anywhere close to that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CowHammer posted:

quote:

“Freedom is hanging on by a thread, America, and it is those who worship the sin of Sodom that are determined to finish it off once and for all,” he said.
There's nothing controversial about this. It's been happening for decades and is plain and open enough for everyone to see.

Ezekiel 16:49 posted:

Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I agree, we should strengthen the hand of the poor and needy in America.

Oh wait, that wasn't the point of the parallel with Sodom?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Another thing I like about the "Godly Marine Punches Atheist Professor" stdh.txt story is that there's absolutely nothing about it that contradicts the professor's notion that God doesn't exist.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh my goodness: http://www.theonion.com/articles/th...circ=technology

The Onion :allears:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Fandyien posted:

how disingenuous do you have to be to pretend that one jackass getting fired is anywhere close to that

He resigned actually.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

"You have to go to a place" is the reason why Amazon is demolishing Best Buy. QED vaccinations are bad. :colbert: Now if I could get a shot through the mail, preferably without expecting it so I don't tense up, then we'd be somewhere.

e: Woooooo boy a big fish swam ashore today (emphasis mine, the NBC video is from 2007):

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YJsxMcAJoA

Is NBC predicting RFID implanted in Americans in 2017 or are they the mouth piece for the beast?

If you take the RFID Microchip they can TRACK your every move, Control your MONEY, Control your FOOD and possible even KILL you if you don’t obey!

A number of states like Virginia, have passed “stop the mark of the beast legislation” in an effort to stop this.

Remember, they do things over time to condition the population into think this is normal. Please understand, you are just a number to the government. A RFID Chip is the governments means to control you for the rest of your life.

Please note that NLF has done research into this issue and believe that the RFID legislation was removed from the final Obamacare bill. The fact that such language was ever considered should be disturbing. Will the RFID language be put back in?

:tinfoil: RFID chips can KILL you and control your FOOD and MONEY and they are the mark of the beast! Oh god it's too late they're taking cont- HAIL SATAN 666 HAIL SATAN! :unsmigghh:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 8, 2014

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Cons
- If vaccines were made up for a movie, they would turn out to be evil.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mo_Steel posted:

"You have to go to a place" is the reason why Amazon is demolishing Best Buy. QED vaccinations are bad. :colbert: Now if I could get a shot through the mail, preferably without expecting it so I don't tense up, then we'd be somewhere.

You're in luck. Amazon is teaming up with Obamacare to release drone-delivered surprise strike vaccinations.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this? posted:

Regardless of everything else involved, I'm pretty sure you don't have a 1st Ammendment right to answer whatever you want on a test.

Only cause Obama won, if we had President Romney, you could answer whatever you wanted.

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/romney-tells-cnns-king-you-get-ask-questions-you-want-i-get-give-answers-i-want

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Oh are we posting crazy conspiracy theories ITT now?! Whoa boy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedPillR3volution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RajmAvijHIE "Superman: Man of Steel predicted MH370! Whoa! A number on a bus that appeared for two seconds happens to be the same flight number of a lost plane!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o40Hr03xg4 "My kid's cartoons feature the Illuminati as bad guys. The producers MUST be Illuminati because the Illuminati is the most obscure, little-known organization I can think of!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igfhkhx1tyQ "An obscure Scottish poet who lived after Jesus is the mastermind behind Christianity, Atheism, Islam and the soon-to-be-here New World Order religion! He also planned World War 1, 2, and 3."

There was also one that was equally hilarious that connected the "fact" that the Illuminati wants to kill all but one billion chosen people (and prevent the population from rising further permanently) and the kids' Super Bowl half-time performance of "Billionaire" by that one rapper because "billionaire" and "prepare" were used within seconds of each other in the song lyrics.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 9, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mo_Steel posted:

You just get a letter saying "BEHIND YOU" and your mailman goes all Solid Snake and shoves the needle into you from behind.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Because a child wouldn't be further scarred for life by knowing that speaking up caused the death of another human being - especially if, as the odds are in favour of, that human being was a family member or someone else the child was close to.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Liz Warren's image macro has been going around a bunch recently:

Only thing is, that percentage is unsourced. I'd love to have a source to send to people who are doubting it; anyone know where that figure comes from?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Giant Goats posted:

Because a child wouldn't be further scarred for life by knowing that speaking up caused the death of another human being - especially if, as the odds are in favour of, that human being was a family member or someone else the child was close to.

A better analogy would be an adult beating a child anyway. Hey, maybe the left and right can finally agree that corporal punishment is bad. :smuggo:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
There's an argument against raising the minimum wage that says something like 95% of all people already earn over the minimum anyway, and most of that 5% is high school kids working fast food, besides. There's a counterpoint, though, that says that's horseshit because those making $7.25 an hour won't be the only ones to have their wages increased (rising tide, etc) ... I just don't have the right words to say it. Anybody got a link?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

jackpot posted:

There's an argument against raising the minimum wage that says something like 95% of all people already earn over the minimum anyway, and most of that 5% is high school kids working fast food, besides. There's a counterpoint, though, that says that's horseshit because those making $7.25 an hour won't be the only ones to have their wages increased (rising tide, etc) ... I just don't have the right words to say it. Anybody got a link?

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/feb/16/steve-forbes/steve-forbes-says-two-thirds-people-who-earn-minim/

This is pretty good I think. Though that 95% is conflating it with another statement: Perry claim about Texas workers makes assumption about wages paid to non-hourly workers

In short the problem is it's assuming 2 things:
1."Above minimum wage" is misleading. Someone can be making 7.30 and still technically not be being paid minimum wage
2.They're not counting states with minimum wages above the $7.25. For example Massachusetts has a minimum wage of $8 but technically that statistic isn't counting it because it's above the federal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Riptor posted:

Liz Warren's image macro has been going around a bunch recently:

Only thing is, that percentage is unsourced. I'd love to have a source to send to people who are doubting it; anyone know where that figure comes from?

I assume it's referring to averages? It's awkwardly phrased. The term "discrimination" implies conscious action, that's unclear, too.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Discendo Vox posted:

I assume it's referring to averages? It's awkwardly phrased. The term "discrimination" implies a degree of active bias that's unclear, too.

No, discrimination is simply about treating someone differently on the basis of an unrelated condition. Intention has zero to do with it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

School stabbing today, which means it's time for some gun smug. I've seen a few statuses about it already, but I'm expecting the images of incredulous babies and condescending wonkas to start right around the lunch hour. Regardless, brace yourselves.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not sure why gun nuts want to use this as an example of how a gun could have made things better since in this situation no one was killed and when people bring guns to these types of things the body count is much higher. I'd want people to forget about this instead of highlighting it as how guns save lives when there weren't any fatalities to stop.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Radish posted:

I'm not sure why gun nuts want to use this as an example of how a gun could have made things better since in this situation no one was killed and when people bring guns to these types of things the body count is much higher. I'd want people to forget about this instead of highlighting it as how guns save lives when there weren't any fatalities to stop.

It's going to be "don't you want to ban knives now???" and almost certainly at least one parody image of an "assault knife." Book it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

The guy who posted this is a gay Republican
:negative:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Emron posted:

School stabbing today, which means it's time for some gun smug. I've seen a few statuses about it already, but I'm expecting the images of incredulous babies and condescending wonkas to start right around the lunch hour. Regardless, brace yourselves.

Well reddit's already on it: "well, I suppose it's time to start laws that ban owning knives"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You're right image macro, we should get rid of Obama and get someone much more progressive.

http://knife-expert.com/pa.txt

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

VitalSigns posted:

One might think that Obama has apologized for this wrongheaded stance, Eich refused to say he made a mistake or wouldn't donate to anti-gay groups again, and Americans' attitudes towards gay rights in 2008 is quite different than today (which is quite surprising, actually). One might think that, but then one would be injecting nuance and that would be wrong when we're trying to defend the rights of anti-gay bigots and get our Obama bashing for the day in :suicide:

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot that you aren't allowed to change your mind.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Emron posted:

No one has died or expected to die. Check mate gun assholes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Out of curiosity, did this really gain much traction in the US media? All I ever heard from it was an open letter from another employee basically asking people not to judge the entire company for the CEO's decision. It seemed like the whole deal was over before it even really began.

It's also cute to euphemistically call Prop 8 a "traditional marriage cause" when it was nothing less than a concerted attempt to specifically outlaw gay marriage.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Perestroika posted:

Out of curiosity, did this really gain much traction in the US media? All I ever heard from it was an open letter from another employee basically asking people not to judge the entire company for the CEO's decision. It seemed like the whole deal was over before it even really began.

It's also cute to euphemistically call Prop 8 a "traditional marriage cause" when it was nothing less than a concerted attempt to specifically outlaw gay marriage.

Judging by the few hours of Fox I have to listen to at work each week the right wing tried pretty hard to push it for a couple days but no one really seems to be biting beyond those who are looking for any reason for hate already.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Perestroika posted:

The right wing logic is that "protecting traditional marriage" is equivalent to not soiling the idea with homosexual marriage.

ArchRanger posted:

Judging by the few hours of Fox I have to listen to at work each week the right wing tried pretty hard to push it for a couple days but no one really seems to be biting beyond those who are looking for any reason for hate already.

I think part of the problem is no one, even your average right winger really gives a poo poo about the problems of some rich rear end in a top hat they've never heard of. At least with the Duck Dynasty guy they had a perceived cultural bond with him and grew familiar with him through a tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

VitalSigns posted:

True, I guess people in favor of gay marriage should have voted for McCain or Romney. Oh, wait...