Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It definitely doesn't have to be a lab (but it totally could be, labs are awesome). Have you looked at the retriever breeds? There's a few different ones and they share most of the same attitudes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retriever#Retrievers_include Toposimawhateverthehell has a nova scotia one though Pippa is deaf. She might be able to tell you more about them. Chesapeakes are a little more bullheaded than the others and can be barkier and defensive around strangers, but they're still good dogs.

I know this was a long time ago but NSDTRs aren't really like labs or goldens at all temperament-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

I... I... :smithicide:

... I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is despite their bad reputation Pit Bulls can be and are some of the most lovable and well-tempered dogs a person can ever own so long as the owner raises them right. The bad news is that, like the poster after you pointed out, Pit Bulls are pretty high energy and are prone to taking out their boredom on household things. I hope you're not overly attached to your furniture and that your wife keeps her expensive shoes in a high place.

I had a girlfriend with a Pitbull mutt who had to go to the dentist for an emergency, it took three hours but it was three hours where she usually took the dog out for a run. When she came home the dog had destroyed her office chair and 4 shoes.

Topoisomerase posted:

I know this was a long time ago but NSDTRs aren't really like labs or goldens at all temperament-wise.

I figured they were closer to work dogs considering their breed history but I didn't know enough about them to jump in on this. Especially since Fluffy knows a whole fuckton about dogs.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Jenner posted:

Pit Bulls are pretty high energy and are prone to taking out their boredom on household things. I hope you're not overly attached to your furniture and that your wife keeps her expensive shoes in a high place.

Uh to be fair this can be said for just about any dog, really. Pits are so hideously overbred though that I find they can be all over the place. I have met pits on both ends of the spectrum - crazy energetic and lazy as gently caress. But typically yes they're ~supposed to be~ high energy. I think my biggest concern is that he's apparently playing fetch while his dog has an injured foot.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Skizzles posted:

Uh to be fair this can be said for just about any dog, really. Pits are so hideously overbred though that I find they can be all over the place. I have met pits on both ends of the spectrum - crazy energetic and lazy as gently caress. But typically yes they're ~supposed to be~ high energy. I think my biggest concern is that he's apparently playing fetch while his dog has an injured foot.

Agreed that playing while the dogs recovering is ridiculous. But at the same time this is the same guy who rehomed a littermate bonded pair of goldens because fetch was :effort:.

Silver linings, people. Silver linings. Oxford Comma has learned to play fetch.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Skizzles posted:

Uh to be fair this can be said for just about any dog, really.

I think it needs extra emphasis for the Catahoula part, though. I careposted in the other thread but they haven't been overbred/housepets for nearly as long as pit bulls and they are commonly pretty extreme in terms of DA, HA, guarding, prey drive and especially energy levels (they are good pets for marathon runners and frequent hunters - full stop).

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

mcswizzle posted:

Agreed that playing while the dogs recovering is ridiculous. But at the same time this is the same guy who rehomed a littermate bonded pair of goldens because fetch was :effort:.

Silver linings, people. Silver linings. Oxford Comma has learned to play fetch.

The littermate thing was Wotjek, not oxford comma. Same forum, different doofuses.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I fully admit I'd probably toss a ball around a bit if my dog was wrapped up like that.

Hell, my dog skewered her foot on glass a few weeks ago and we were doing agility the very next day. There are other issues, but low-impact playing with an energetic dog is not something I'll ever get too fussed about.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

wtftastic posted:

The littermate thing was Wotjek, not oxford comma. Same forum, different doofuses.

It's so hard to tell them apart these days. I can see why regular SA posters are viewed through a lens here now: they all suck equally.

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

It's pretty common for large dogs to have knee/leg issues as they age, right? Our Ephy has limped after runs for a while now, so we've stopped running, but is now starting to limp even after lengthy walks. She's about 4.5 years old now, and hovers between 85 and 90 lbs, so she's juust on the threshold of "whoa that's a big dog". Our best bet is Rhodesian Ridgeback/??/Dane mix, or maybe some kind of large shepherd. I always thought mutts were less susceptible to specific genetic disorders due to hybrid vigor, and the vet seems to agree it's general wear on the joints.

I'm scheduling another vet appointment, but just want to know what other people have experienced and if it's pretty normal. Also, what do you do to accommodate a sore leg on an otherwise perfectly energetic and happy dog? She's mostly thrilled to snore on her heating pad all day, chew on a bone, and go for a walk but she definitely loooves to run and then pays for it later.

We also have stairs into our apartment that are unavoidable that she won't climb when sore. She is heavy. :(

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

demozthenes posted:

I think it needs extra emphasis for the Catahoula part, though. I careposted in the other thread but they haven't been overbred/housepets for nearly as long as pit bulls and they are commonly pretty extreme in terms of DA, HA, guarding, prey drive and especially energy levels (they are good pets for marathon runners and frequent hunters - full stop).

Yeah I'm not crazy familiar with Catahoulas other than they're not a great average house pet kinda dog. Maybe that merle comes from some Aussie mixing instead (not that Aussies are for everyone, but certainly better than a Catahoula). Who knows.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

100% why I said talk to you about them. I have very drat little experience with NSDTRs. (but oh goodness I want to)

If I have a cut pad amongst my mutts I don't do much with them. It's pretty much bed rest, but that's also because we're on gross dirt over here and not grass. If we were on grass, it'd obviously be a different story. If it comes to the dog being wrapped up I tend to give them a few days just to let some healing go on.

Oxford Comma's an idiot and that catahoula's gonna eat him and I've talked to him off site about how much it's gonna eat him when it gets sick of him just tossing a ball now and then but he seems relatively unconcerned so hey, his choice.

4.5 is pretty young for arthritis but not unheard of. If she's at all overweight (ask the vet for their honest opinion) that's not helping. With Balen, he has a slightly sore right leg. I just make sure he's able to cock it comfortably under himself and exercise him until he comes up tired. But it's low impact exercise. Tug a rope, puzzle games, fetch but without riling him up too much so he leisurely trots instead of tears off after it. In your specific case I'd just listen to the vet since they're actually there and they can see how much wear is on the joints and they'll have better suggestions. The stairs thing sucks. We move again this year and I'm specifically looking for a 1 level place without stairs leading up the front or down to the yard. It's ridiculously hard to find.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I hope this is right place to ask such questions. :ohdear:

Which bear breed is that ?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

kalstrams posted:

Looks like a Caucasian Shepherd. Or beardog.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

kalstrams posted:

It's a grossly oversized Malamute or mix thereof. Probably not a healthy dog in several aspects.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

kalstrams posted:

Maybe Tibetan Mastiff? Whatever it is, hoooooly poo poo, the floof. :3: I just wanna roll on it till I sneeze myself to death.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

a life less posted:

I fully admit I'd probably toss a ball around a bit if my dog was wrapped up like that.

Hell, my dog skewered her foot on glass a few weeks ago and we were doing agility the very next day. There are other issues, but low-impact playing with an energetic dog is not something I'll ever get too fussed about.

Lacerations/surgeries should be rested for at least a few days (Ideally 10-14 but god help people with high energy dogs who go that long) because less motion means that they heal faster/better. Too much tugging on stitches or healing skin can seriously delay closure. Slow, gentle walks are fine but on an area where skin moves a lot running is definitely high enough impact to cause problems.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

kalstrams posted:

I'm gonna guess tibetan mastiff or caucasian shep also. Unfortunately this picture shows up in searches for both. It's frustrating to search for images of either breed, because they frequently show up in search other's searches.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Though I've have Great Pyrenees for years, I haven't really taken part in this thread. But next week, we're adding a Berner to the family, so I think I'll participate more. His name is still TBD (we have a short list), he's 8 weeks old today!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Name him Toblerone!

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible

kalstrams posted:

Judging by the almond shaped brown eyes and ears on the sides of the head, i would say that this is a "Giant" Alaskan Malamute. Google search Giant Alaskan Malamutes and you will see many others that come up looking like this. I have two regular sized malamutes myself, the male being pretty large himself, just not quite this large...

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible
Here a few pictures of my Malamutes Bear and Belle (Bear is the big gray one and Belle is the black and white one)

Out on a walk in a local state park.

Went camping and Bear was helping set up the tent

Put some clothes on em, just playing around. Those are my shirt and shorts!

More nap time, he loves to sleep under tables and chairs...

On a walk up in the National Forest

Watching for anything that moves out in the front of the house...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Big, slobbery, clumsy but well-meaning dogs are the best thing in the world. My place is to small to have one.

So post more pictures and let me live vicariously through your gorgeous dumbasses.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hammer Floyd posted:

Big, slobbery, clumsy but well-meaning dogs are the best thing in the world. My place is to small to have one.

So post more pictures and let me live vicariously through your gorgeous dumbasses.

Ok!

This is his spot on the couch, if I'm sitting there and he wants to sit there he will just climb up on me until I move outta his way. Most spoiled rotten dog ever.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Balen got a brand new super soft foam bed back in February:

He approves a lot.

Amy ehhh not so much.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I've spoken to my partner and she readily and immediately agreed to my 3 year plan to alter our lives such that we can get a Newf and look after it properly.

Gonna ask her to marry me because of this probably. Wanna pair it with a small dog and call them Wellington and Napoleon (big and small respectively, obvs)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Clamps McGraw posted:

I've spoken to my partner and she readily and immediately agreed to my 3 year plan to alter our lives such that we can get a Newf and look after it properly.

Gonna ask her to marry me because of this probably. Wanna pair it with a small dog and call them Wellington and Napoleon (big and small respectively, obvs)

:) Get pet insurance.

In other news, Amy photobombs pictures I guess now thanks dog.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:) Get pet insurance.

In other news, Amy photobombs pictures I guess now thanks dog.

Balen's so dapper with all that salt and pepper :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Balen's so dapper with all that salt and pepper :3:

:3: He's just dapper in general. Such a ham and such a gentleman. Speaking of, though. Today he is 9 years old. It feels like yesterday he was 2. :love: My big boy. So here are more Balen pictures.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Ozzie, I demand adventures with your dogs and photos of said adventures.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I figure I might as well post this here too:

I got married and now her Great Dane is step brother to my corgi.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Dear god, that is ridiculously adorable!

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Vega (The dane) can't stand her, because she takes up too much room.

He's not bright

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Hmmmm I think I need more photographic evidence that big dogs and Corgis are meant for each other. (My mother has wanted a Corgi for a while to be a pal for her Great Pyrenees, but has waffled on Corgi acquisition.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Also not keen to share the couch. Let's blame it on the inferior genetics.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Ironsolid posted:

Ozzie, I demand adventures with your dogs and photos of said adventures.

We haven't had many adventures this summer so far, thanks to work being super busy. :(

Both dogs are going under for minor procedures tomorrow morning. :ohdear:

Sage has a small tumor on the underside of her left eyelid, that I found last week. It's not started causing damage to her cornea yet, but it's keeping her from closing her eye all the way, and it's going to cause problems eventually. This is the only major-ish health problem she's ever had, and the old lady turns 11 on her birthday in September this year. She's getting a full-bore tooth cleaning while she's under, too.

Ozzie has had a weird long nipple for a long time; when he was about a year old, he had a scratch across one, and it got infected, and that one's been bigger than the others ever since. The vet's always told me to keep an eye on it, and recently it started having some odd looking tissue growing from the end that looks like it comes out from the inside, almost like ductal tissue. Plus, it suddenly got a bit bigger and kinda lumpy on the end in the last week or so, and that's pretty weird, so the vet wants to take it off just to be safe.

Here he is looking exceptionally goofy.

We went for a nice long ride around town, and shared some dinner before the food and water got put up tonight.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 15, 2014

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

We haven't had many adventures this summer so far, thanks to work being super busy. :(

We went for a nice long ride around town, and shared some dinner before the food and water got put up tonight.

Somewhat related - I've been trying to figure out what vehicle seats 2 + great dane + husky + bully mix. Would just give it up and get a molester cargo van, but we like to play offroad in the desert, and up in the mountains in the snow. 4wd and clearance a must.

Not like this (back of a Chevy Malibu).

Maybe a 4x4 Econovan...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rebounded posted:

Somewhat related - I've been trying to figure out what vehicle seats 2 + great dane + husky + bully mix. Would just give it up and get a molester cargo van, but we like to play offroad in the desert, and up in the mountains in the snow. 4wd and clearance a must.

Maybe a 4x4 Econovan...

Old school Land Rover?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gracie is getting up there in age as well. A few weeks ago she was having trouble laying down and sleeping and kind of breathing in really shorts breaths. A vet visit showed a slightly enlarged heart and some swelling in her abdomen. She'll be 9 or 10 this year so some of these issues are expected so she's on 3 different meds now and is thankfully back to her normal goofy self. She is starting to have issues with her hind legs again so we've got her on some arthritis vitamins to hopefully help with that. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, just sometimes her rear end kinda gives out on her, she still tries and run around like she's a puppy still so we have to watch her with that so she doesn't hurt herself more. Dam old age :(

Archer is his normal silly self, he'll be 4 in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

rebounded posted:

Maybe a 4x4 Econovan...

Heck, the FJ works pretty good. With the back seats down, they've both got plenty of room to lay down and move around. There's room for another dog back there with 'em.

mattfl posted:

Gracie is getting up there in age as well. A few weeks ago she was having trouble laying down and sleeping and kind of breathing in really shorts breaths. A vet visit showed a slightly enlarged heart and some swelling in her abdomen. She'll be 9 or 10 this year so some of these issues are expected so she's on 3 different meds now and is thankfully back to her normal goofy self. She is starting to have issues with her hind legs again so we've got her on some arthritis vitamins to hopefully help with that. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, just sometimes her rear end kinda gives out on her, she still tries and run around like she's a puppy still so we have to watch her with that so she doesn't hurt herself more. Dam old age :(

Gracie looks so much like Sage in the face, it's just ridiculous. :allears:

edit: ooooh. We're at 999 replies :toot:

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 15, 2014