Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I need help space friends!

Jeb is out of fuel and stranded on Minmus, I need to launch a rescue mission but I can't figure out where to put Jeb once I get there.

I have the mobile science bay but that fucker weighs tons and it's a struggle even turning with it on my ship so I'm not sure how to do this?

Can I have a ship with both the normal pod and the probe pod and just make the kerbal in the pod get out prior to launch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Overwined posted:

Thank you for using my favorite archaic idiom. It's a very funny one. I suggest people look it up to see exactly what it means.

"Hoist by my own petard" is a pretty accurate description of most of my launches in this game.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

AceClown posted:

I need help space friends!

Jeb is out of fuel and stranded on Minmus, I need to launch a rescue mission but I can't figure out where to put Jeb once I get there.

I have the mobile science bay but that fucker weighs tons and it's a struggle even turning with it on my ship so I'm not sure how to do this?

Can I have a ship with both the normal pod and the probe pod and just make the kerbal in the pod get out prior to launch?

Click on the Crew icon in the VAB, and you can remove crewmembers prior to sending the craft to the launchpad.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AceClown posted:

Yes. Don't forget that a probe core will use electricity even if your rocket is manned.

You can un-crew the capsule from the vab, or you can just eva the pilot before liftoff.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The greatest minds Kerbin has to offer have been drafted in and the RESCUE ONE is built

We're coming Jeb, we're coming

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AceClown posted:

The greatest minds Kerbin has to offer have been drafted in and the RESCUE ONE is built

We're coming Jeb, we're coming

Report your status, RESCUE ONE. :ohdear:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Odds aren't good, they went somewhere that even Jeb couldn't get out of :supaburn:

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014
I made a blimpjet. :jeb:

It can fly any which way and land anywhere.

But my hubris got to me when I yawed a little too hard while flying super fast and went into a flat spin which sheared off my tail.

Of course, since it was a blimpjet, a safe landing was guaranteed. How very dull and un-:jeb:.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

kalstrams posted:

!PRESS RELEASE!

We are pleased to announce that RESCUE ONE is in a safe parking orbit 230k above the planet Kerbin.

Scientists are now swearing furiously at the maneuver node system while waiting for a Minmus intercept window.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Holy gently caress it actually made it!

Now lets see if I brought enough fuel to get back :D

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He looks confused.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If nothing else you have plenty of RCS fuel...

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

This, but for real, please. Kerbals probably loving love Comic Sans.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

If nothing else you have plenty of RCS fuel...

Shhhsh, I have no idea how RCS works other than it helps things turn..

Edit:

Back home safe on Kerbafirma, best part of 500 science too!!

Thanks for the help guys, I kinda feel a bit disappointed nothing exploded.

AceClown fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 9, 2014

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

AceClown posted:

Depending on the weight of the craft and the number of nozzles you have, you can probably attain Minmus orbit with RCS alone.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

AceClown posted:

When RCS is on you can thrust along any axis. I forget what the default keys are for that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deuce posted:

When RCS is on you can thrust along any axis. I forget what the default keys are for that.

IJKLHN.

A ship that size that's low on fuel can almost certainly leave Minmus with RCS. Hell, the Kerbal can do with his jetpack alone, and then sit in orbit until another ship picks him up.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Deuce posted:

IJKL are the RCS translation controls.
HN are for forwards/backwards.

In 0.23.5 if you have no active Liquid fueled engine on your craft but have RCS on you can throttle up and it will use RCS thrusters to push you forward as if they were LFE's.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

IJKLHN.

A ship that size that's low on fuel can almost certainly leave Minmus with RCS. Hell, the Kerbal can do with his jetpack alone, and then sit in orbit until another ship picks him up.

Well poo poo, I was trying to work out for ages how to do the up/down thing with RCS

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

AceClown posted:

Holy gently caress it actually made it!

Now lets see if I brought enough fuel to get back :D

:jeb: Don't worry, we have plenty of delta-v because we are asparagus stages.
:jebstare: But we're sitting on the drop tanks...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AceClown posted:

Back home safe on Kerbafirma

RESCUE ONE :neckbeard:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Germstore posted:

:jeb: Don't worry, we have plenty of delta-v because we are asparagus stages.
:jebstare: But we're sitting on the drop tanks...

The pro solution would be putting docking ports on the crew capsules, detach them in orbit to shed the middle stack, and then bind the two back together into a single craft. Maybe even add a decoupler to the crew capsule so they can transfer fuel from one tank to the other and ditch the empty tank.

Figuring out where to put the parachutes will be counted as extra credit.

Think of it as rocket building.. IN SPACE.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
There might be something wrong with EditorExtensions here:

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

You hit Tab, it puts the VAB in the Space-plane Hanger mode and allows you to launch from the runway. Hit Tab again to go back to VAB mode.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Zaran posted:

You hit Tab, it puts the VAB in the Space-plane Hanger mode and allows you to launch from the runway. Hit Tab again to go back to VAB mode.

I.. uh.. what?

Wow, thanks.

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010

Zaran posted:

In 0.23.5 if you have no active Liquid fueled engine on your craft but have RCS on you can throttle up and it will use RCS thrusters to push you forward as if they were LFE's.

Really? I still haven't installed 23.5 but this sounds really cool. Now let's get some proper RCS engines!

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
One last thing to chip in on the BTSM chat, I was originally going to post that editing the source code isn't decompiling the source code :science:

However, I'm either being a dunce or missing something but I cannot see a license at all for BTSM (in thread, readme.txt or a license.txt) (thread).

Maxmaps: Is it required that all mods be at least mirrored on spaceport?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Dred_furst posted:

Maxmaps: Is it required that all mods be at least mirrored on spaceport?

Nope, we're gearing up to press a pillow to Spaceport's face so everyone who feels like distributing by themselves is free to.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Maxmaps posted:

Nope, we're gearing up to press a pillow to Spaceport's face so everyone who feels like distributing by themselves is free to.
Thank god for that, it was very difficult to use Spaceport due to it being chock full of .craft files.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Maxmaps posted:

Can we at least get rid of websites like mediafire. They're a royal pain in the rear end.
(sort out mod distribution pleeeeeease.)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
How do I get an unknown object to turn into an asteroid? I just got the claw.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Maxmaps posted:

Is there going to be a replacement? I kind of liked there being a central mod repository, but the search function was rear end and it was filled with .crafts

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

thehustler posted:

Track it in tracking station, then fly to it.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

thehustler posted:

Click on the track button in the lower left, in the tracking station.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Shanakin posted:

Click on the track button in the lower left, in the tracking station.

Thanks x 2. Missed that!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Fishstick posted:

Is there going to be a replacement? I kind of liked there being a central mod repository, but the search function was rear end and it was filled with .crafts

Yep!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Perhaps some kind of extensive system based on the boiling of water...

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Any group that controls this many fonts and is bold enough to use all these exclamation marks must be incredibly powerful! And soon, in fact this Thursday in the cafetorium, I shall become their leader!

Troglyfe posted:

I made a blimpjet. :jeb:

When I first saw this I instantly said. "Thunderbirds are go!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How is that a blimp? Does it use mod parts that give it neutral buoyancy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53961-0-22-Hooligan-Labs-%28now-under-new-managment%29-Featuring-Airships-Subs-and-more

• Locked thread