Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
E: whoops didn't mean to hit submit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Frostwerks posted:

The same is true in real life.

e: It's true. We're like Germans without the stigma of WW2.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Well it makes sense. If I thought Ukraine was in Iowa I would definitely think that the US should be more forcefully opposed to it being annexed by Russia.

I remember reading about Georgians (US) who were afraid of invading Russians in 2008.

Shouldn't all of them just be Ukraine?

the jizz taxi posted:

Internet Swedes are among the smuggest and most chauvinist people ever. To some extent, Internet Scandinavians can be all a little smug, but Swedes are generally the worst.

Agreed. Scandinavians are scrubs :smug:.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

How are these districts divided? Do they each have similar population, or is it similar to American states?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Elyv posted:

How are these districts divided? Do they each have similar population, or is it similar to American states?

The GRCs (Group Representation Constituencies) have four to six seats elected on the same slate, while the SMCs (Single Member Constituencies) have one seat each. The final tally of seats was People's Action Party 81, Worker's Party 6; this was the most seats that the opposition has ever held.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Monkey Man posted:

The GRCs (Group Representation Constituencies) have four to six seats elected on the same slate, while the SMCs (Single Member Constituencies) have one seat each. The final tally of seats was People's Action Party 81, Worker's Party 6; this was the most seats that the opposition has ever held.

Widely regarded in Singaporean electoral geography as a total PAP smear.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tanjong Pagar isn't allowed to vote apparently.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Comcast continues it reign of terror.

But don't worry, it CLEARLY won't be a monopoly because of all the places that can also get service from competitors like AT&T U-Verse:

Edit: If you can stomach it, here's some more crap from Comcast on why it's a good thing if they merge with TWC.

quote:

The traditional boundaries between media, communications, and technology are obsolete. The competitive ecosystem in which we operate includes companies with national and even global– scale like AT&T, Verizon, DirecTV, DISH, Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Yahoo, Google, and Facebook – who are competing with each other and us in unprecedented ways. As the graphs below demonstrate, many of these companies are far larger than our combined company would be in market capitalization, annual revenues, and/or customers.

Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Yahoo, and Facebook? Did I miss some big tech announcement that these people are now providing internet service?

I know that Netfliz, Amazon, and Apple can all provide content, but you still need to get internet from somebody to use the content.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 9, 2014

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Peanut President posted:

It was a walkover, the Peoples' Action Party was the only party on the ballot there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Peanut President posted:

Yeah, why is that? That area includes Little India, amongst other densely populated areas.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The one thing that I find surprising about the Polish map is that Hungary is labeled 'our brothers'. I didn't know that was a thing.

kalstrams posted:

Also, let us enjoy bigger map so you can actually distinguish Singapore.

20000x10267, I think I can see my house.

e: it's seriously breaking my browser somehow. I'm disappointed in Chrome.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 9, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I understand, but Singapore is drat small compared to the rest of the world. I did not want it to be a single pixel.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Jesus christ link that rather than putting it in the thread.

And I much prefer maps that do the circle thing over microstates, why is that not more common :mad:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phlegmish posted:

The one thing that I find surprising about the Polish map is that Hungary is labeled 'our brothers'. I didn't know that was a thing.

They're one of the few pairing in Eastern Europe that has never really come to blows in the last 800 or so years. The lack of animosity makes them friends.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

They're one of the few pairing in Eastern Europe that has never really come to blows in the last 800 or so years. The lack of animosity makes them friends.
Yeah, the Carpathians are a pretty natural border, so they didn't have that much reason to come to blows. Plus the Poles helped out against the Ottomans once in a while, and of course they shared a king at one point. I have seen the latter used as an argument for Hungarian claims on Poland though, but that's probably unusual, even in the context of Hungarian irredentism.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Kurgan?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The theoretical proto Indo-Europeans, from which the Indo-European languages sprung.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Have the Dutch just banned south Slavs from entering the Netherlands and breeding with Dutch peoples or something? Its the only major difference between them and England...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Phlegmish posted:

THAT must be why the last page was crashing Awful for Android before kalstrams changed it to a link. :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pakled posted:

THAT must be why the last page was crashing Awful for Android before kalstrams changed it to a link. :v:

It was kind-of slow loading for me, but I did ignore that before Phlegmish said that it fucks his browser.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

Hell, it killed my chrome on a desktop.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The theoretical proto Indo-Europeans, from which the Indo-European languages sprung.

I thought this was a Highlander thing :blush:

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Well obviously not, how can they pass on genes when immortals can't have children

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I assume The Kurgan is the ancestor of every Indo-European.

esquilax posted:

Well obviously not, how can they pass on genes when immortals can't have children
Cultural ancestor at least.

3peat
May 6, 2010

My favorite things about that map is how turks are just slightly more diverse greeks (which would make sense as most turks today are descendants of anatolians who converted to islam) and how Austria is way more similar to Hungary, Czechia or Romania than to Germany (which also makes sense historically I guess, but it's still funny; superior germanic peoples my rear end :D)

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
third_world_cellular_infrastructure.jpg Cell coverage of the US

drat appalachian/west virginia

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Trench_Rat posted:

Part of that is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Radio_Quiet_Zone , I believe

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DrBouvenstein posted:

Comcast continues it reign of terror.

But don't worry, it CLEARLY won't be a monopoly because of all the places that can also get service from competitors like AT&T U-Verse:

According to the government (by the government I mean "some dudes in congress at one point") cable is supposed to be a monopoly because their competitors are sattelite and over-the-air. The fact that there are separate cable providers is an error.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No wonder Hitler loved GB so much, them some pure islands.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Baronjutter posted:

No wonder Hitler loved Poland so much, them some pure Aryans.

Fixed :v:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Hm, I guess Estonians really are more similar to other Baltics than they are to Finns.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Peanut President posted:

According to the government (by the government I mean "some dudes in congress at one point") cable is supposed to be a monopoly because their competitors are sattelite and over-the-air. The fact that there are separate cable providers is an error.

Really, Comcast and Time Warner are pretty much local monopolies wherever they are anyways. Cities generally don't like having multiple folks digging around to put in lines. This just makes one larger monopoly which while pretty bad doesn't really impact things that much.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Its odd we've got probably the most bastardised language but genetics wise we're the least diverse, the same can be said for spain.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

Hm, I guess Estonians really are more similar to other Baltics than they are to Finns.

Coastal Estonians are probably closely related to Western Finns.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Pretty much every major metropolitan area. Great...

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What exactly is this measuring? Is this a language thing, or ethnic? R1B includes Italic, E3b includes Greek, and J2 includes Greco-Roman. What is the difference?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

What exactly is this measuring? Is this a language thing, or ethnic? R1B includes Italic, E3b includes Greek, and J2 includes Greco-Roman. What is the difference?
It's a haplogroup thing. Genetic markers or somesuch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Trench_Rat posted:

As someone who has to go to eastern West Virginia this summer, what is dark blue? :ohdear: