Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:stare:

:stare:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4740

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Rexler Brath looks pretty scary. Predator seems pretty gangster..

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'd be truly afraid if they put Maarek Stele in a Defender.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd be truly afraid if they put Maarek Stele in a Defender.

I thought of him immediately seeing the Defender. Shame that he's been wasted on the Advanced, he should really be in these dumb video game ships.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
I'm really pleased that they're putting effort into shaking up the meta and providing reasons to play higher PS, more diverse squadrons.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

I have to say, I'm not a fan. The white K-turn will definitely merit some trying out, but all of the red turns are disturbing, as is the lack of a green bank at all. I'm not going to totally commit to saying the Defender is overpriced garbage until I get a chance to try proxying it on the table, but it kind of still looks like overpriced garbage.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like how the target of "Outmaneuver" is the falcon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Fox of Stone posted:

I like how the target of "Outmaneuver" is the falcon.

Looks to me like Outrider :getin:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Easter-Egg of things to come? :ohdear:

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Engine light is to big to be the outrider :(

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The outrider is already in the game its called the millennium falcon

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

zVxTeflon posted:

The outrider is already in the game its called the millennium falcon

The Falcon is a YT-1300, the Outrider is a YT-2400. Same manufacturing line (Corellian Engineering Corporation), different model ship.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

it was a joke :ssh:

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Seems to me that a Defender with Ion Cannon could be really mean.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Well, I'm pretty confident that I'll skip the Phantom in favour of the Defender, if only for those cards. I'm happy that Rexler Brath came out at 37 points, 7 points for PS 8 and an EPT where the bog standard PS1 Defender is 30 points meants that I'm almost tempted to take it.

The maneuver dials cement, in my mind, that you run this ship back and forward as opposed to turning and all that fancy poo poo. Having at least one green bank wouldn't have killed anyone, if I hadn't seen the Rebel Aces pack I'd almost call it balanced but seeing as other ships will be able to do effectively white K-turns it's still a bit :shrug:

I'm willing to bet that the PS3 pilot is "Onyx Squadron Pilot" because that was the TIE/D unit at Endor. I'd love it if they had an EPT but I'm really not going to hold my breath. Overall I like the Defender, I will certainly be using the Green 5 on it and it looks like it has the potential to keep smaller poo poo like A-Wings honest. Predator looks like it'll be very nice against B-Wings, Y-Wings and that stupid as gently caress Rebel Convoy list, while Outmaneuver would be alright on something like an Interceptor, but I suppose you could bang it on a Defender.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What would you guys recommend buying for someone starting out?

Also keen on playing tournaments later on

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Will Outmaneuver work against a ship with a turret? I guess I'm unclear as to whether the YT or a turreted Y-Wing or HWK counts front arc as it's firing arc, or the full 360.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ships with a primary attack using a turret have a full 360 range. There are turret upgrades for, say, Y-wings, that explicitly say they can fire those weapons outside its normal firing arc. This is why the outmaneuver picture is funny. :)

e: well I guess I was wrong! I don't play with the falcon and my friends regularly don't play with it so I forgot it still had a forward firing arc.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 10, 2014

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the front arc is its "arc" so yes it'll work. (see; backstabber working vs falcons)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It's the reason why even ships with turrets have the forward arc printed. The "yeah but I can fire therefore my firing arc is 360 degrees" bullshit is annoying.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.

bowmore posted:

What would you guys recommend buying for someone starting out?

Also keen on playing tournaments later on

Well if you're like any other tournament player, you basically buy two core sets and 5 of every other ship. Seriously though, I would start with a core set and an expansion for each faction, like a B-Wing and an Interceptor. And just build from there.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Otterspace posted:

Well if you're like any other tournament player, you basically buy two core sets and 5 of every other ship. Seriously though, I would start with a core set and an expansion for each faction, like a B-Wing and an Interceptor. And just build from there.
Cheers, would I find use for two core sets? I was hoping to get my girlfriend to play as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bowmore posted:

Cheers, would I find use for two core sets? I was hoping to get my girlfriend to play as well.

I've found it's very nice to have a complete set of movement templates for each person, and there are many cases where you'll need to roll 4 of a given die (and the core set only comes with 3 of each)

My suggestion would be to buy a core and a ship or two that appeals to you, and if your girlfriend enjoys playing, then grab your second core.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.

bowmore posted:

I'd recommend it, especially if you're ever looking at running a TIE Fighter heavy list. Also having only 3 of each dice is really terrible.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm still pretty new but I've been kicking the old list builder around and have thought about this:

Lamda shuttle-24
Omicron Pilot
Darth Vader

Tie Bomber- 20
Gamma Squadron
Seismic Charges

Howl Runner- 20
Swarm Tactics

3x Tie Fighters [12]
Academy Pilots

I'm thinking having the Lamda be the Doomshuttle, and running it and the bomber at the most expensive thing on the board while my ties run interference and then mop up the rest.

Is this a sound plan?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drop the gamma to a scimitar, lose swarm tactics and use the 4 points to put an engine on your Lambda.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Haven't got the Falcon yet :(

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
What are the core elements I should consider when building a list? What are the most common lists I should be worried about?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

In general, you should err on the side of putting more dice down than dropping fewer upgraded ships.

The most popular lists right now seem to be Imperial swarms (7 ties + howlrunner, or just as many ships as you can get of whatever type + howlrunner), different variants of the 4-ship Rebel list (XXBB, XYBB, XXXX, whatever), and lists with the good big ships, Falcons and Slave-1's.

There's a lot of flexibility and if you practice maneuvering your ships around and the dice go your way you can win with just about anything.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Fetterkey posted:

What are the core elements I should consider when building a list? What are the most common lists I should be worried about?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1152835/squad-building-101

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Excellent, thank you very much!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Updated FAQ and Tournament rules are up! The date is still old but the files are new.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=174&esem=4

One of the biggest changes is that the margin of victory for a full win is now only 12 points instead of 33. Bye bye modified wins!

Also, whoever has the fewest points CHOOSES which player has initiative.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

quote:

If, through his pilot ability, Captain Yorr intercepts a stress token that is part of the cost of triggering an ability on another ship (such as Soontir Fel or Opportunist), that ability’s effect does not resolve.

Welp, Yorr just got a lot less useful. Him and Interceptors with Elusiveness was awesome.

Edit: Chewie, and Kagi got hit. Nightbeast makes sense by a strict reading - I need to pay closer attention to the order of things. Strange that Jan's ability only works once but Jonus' can be used twice. Dark Curse got a decent boost.

Or maybe I've been playing the game wrong and this is all obvious poo poo.

Vader being able to destroy his own ship is :black101:

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 15, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Trying to print that thing is a loving nightmare, I wish they would put up low-res printable versions.

edit:

quote:

In North America, products are legal upon their release.

That owns.

alg fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 15, 2014

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

spacegoat posted:

Welp, Yorr just got a lot less useful. Him and Interceptors with Elusiveness was awesome.

Technically this is a clarification. A rigid reading already supported that ruling.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
The Night Beast thing was in the last FAQ as well.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I really don't get the value of Yorr, beyond perhaps one type of gimmick build. It's like they started with this really cool idea but then had to change it to prevent it from becoming too good.

Then the Rebels get to throw away their stress, and they don't pay shuttle tax.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

alg posted:

Trying to print that thing is a loving nightmare, I wish they would put up low-res printable versions.

quote:

In North America, products are legal upon their release.

That owns.

This is a change, right? Because that Imperial Aces thing was absurd. I play Rebels, so I didn't get anything at all from that pack, but it was disappointing that no one could use them in any tournament.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BJPaskoff posted:

That owns.

This is a change, right? Because that Imperial Aces thing was absurd. I play Rebels, so I didn't get anything at all from that pack, but it was disappointing that no one could use them in any tournament.
[/quote]

What happened with the Aces? Were they not "officially tourney legal" even if people had dropped the cash to buy them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

What happened with the Aces? Were they not "officially tourney legal" even if people had dropped the cash to buy them?

They couldn't be used in the store championships, and I heard they wouldn't be tournament legal until the wave 4 ships came out, but I'm not 100% sure that's true. A bunch of people had to redo their Imperial lists for store championships when they found that out. It even made casual play with them discouraging, because people wanted to get in tournament practice.

• Locked thread